Photo

What would Formula One do "in that situation" at Singapore?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 20:46

So, minutes before the Singapore Grand Prix the circuit is engulfed with heavy rain. What do you do? Delay the race as long as possible, or say "we'll run it tomorrow".

Only problem is that the "we'll run it tomorrow" as there would be the possibilty of broadcasters refusing to show the race as it'd potentially muck up their weekday schedules, at the same point you'd have disgruntled companies having no race on international TV. I, for example, can never imagine BBC One having this as their daytime schedule:

06:00 - Breakfast
09:00 - Lifegivers
09:45 - Homes under the Hammer
10:45 - To Buy or Not to Buy
11:15 - Sun, Sea and Bargain Spotting
11:55 - BBC News
12:00 - F1: Singapore Grand Prix Live
15:05 - CBBC

The core audience probably wouldn't be able to tune in as they were at work or school. I hope for F1's sake this never happens as it would give another hammer blow into the sports image... but the possibilty is always there.

Advertisement

#2 Ashe

Ashe

• 132 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 20:50

It also 'helps' slightly that it's Easter Monday tomorrow - not so much an issue as it's on the evening here, but would help if it was a midday race.

#3 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 20:51

A few times its being mentioned recently the "we'll run it tomorrow"

Has that actually happened, I can't recall it, or more to the point, has it actually happened since TV medium has being so important, the nearest I can recall in recent years is the start of the race being delayed for a while, half a hour or so, though I can't remember if that was due to weather or a start first lap crash?

#4 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 20:51

Bernie would make them race. no ifs ands or buts.

#5 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 20:52

Well, seeing the MotoGP race washed out, I started to think about F1 of course.
In MotoGP, it was well known before the race that they will not start in case of a wet track - however, last year in Singapore everyone was talking about the dangers of racing on a wet track, but they didn't say the race would not start...
So my question is, if it rains in F1, will they delay/cancel/red flag the race automatically?

#6 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Originally posted by Anomnader

Has that actually happened, I can't recall it, or more to the point, has it actually happened since TV medium has being so important, the nearest I can recall in recent years is the start of the race being delayed for a while, half a hour or so, though I can't remember if that was due to weather or a start first lap crash?

They did it with the grand national once.

#7 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Has that actually happened, I can't recall it, or more to the point, has it actually happened since TV medium has being so important

Qualifying in Japan was moved to Sunday morning a few years ago, but I can't recall any recent examples of races being postponed to a later date.

#8 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:00

Wouldn't the streets of Singapore have to be back to normal by Monday?

Seem to remember that was the main sticking point in the CART debacle at Surfer's in 2002...

#9 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:01

Originally posted by Blythy

I wouldnt be surprised to see him insist they do a lap behind the safety car, that's probably all it would take for him to say he has fulfilled his part of the contract and therefore not lose any money.

#10 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:04

I don't ever recall a race* being run the following day, but maybe I'm wrong... I know that the Belgian GP at the "new" Spa was cancelled once and run later in the year - can't remember which year though :

* Championship GP since 1950.

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:09

I don't believe a race would be held over to the following day. TV schedules are the important thing these days, not the racing.

#12 wdh

wdh

• 1,044 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:11

Originally posted by Blythy

Compare Fuji '76.
http://www.guardian....orsports.sport2

... few drivers were in favour of starting the delayed race but that with TV satellite time running out and cancellation meaning no money from the promoter, Bernie Ecclestone persuaded everyone to start.

#13 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:15

Originally posted by stevewf1

I don't ever recall a race* being run the following day, but maybe I'm wrong... I know that the Belgian GP at the "new" Spa was cancelled once and run later in the year - can't remember which year though :

* Championship GP since 1950.

'85? When the track broke up and they all had a nice little discussion about it down at La Source.Bernie included.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:18

Originally posted by BRK

'85? When the track broke up and they all had a nice little discussion about it down at La Source.Bernie included.

And decided to make the F3000s race on it regardless! With few problems...

#15 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,696 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:29

As long as they don't move Homes under the Hammer I'm happy.

#16 Saint Devote

Saint Devote

• 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:43

Sepang is the only place where whether can mess it up to that degree really.

No grand prix is run where rain forces cancellation. I remember quite a few grands prix over the past 30 years that have been run in heavy rain, which lasted for a while only.

It is only the rather "nancy" racing drivers of today that make such a fuss. Drivers used to get on with it. I guess thats what comes when primna donnas are the rule rather than the exception.

Anyone imagine AJ Foyt or Mario Andretti being to scared to race? I think not.

#17 pRy

pRy

• 26,223 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:45

Originally posted by se7en_24
As long as they don't move Homes under the Hammer I'm happy.

I'm more concerned about Jeremy Kyle. Oh wait that's on ITV 2.

#18 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:47

Originally posted by BRK

Yes, it was 1985. :wave:

#19 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:47

Formula One would blame the teams for not providing their drivers with suitable visors for the conditions. Anything to avoid taking the blame themselves. Additionally it would give Max a chance to dish out ze punishment.

Advertisement

#20 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:51

Originally posted by Saint Devote

No grand prix is run where rain forces cancellation. I remember quite a few grands prix over the past 30 years that have been run in heavy rain, which lasted for a while only.

It is only the rather "nancy" racing drivers of today that make such a fuss. Drivers used to get on with it. I guess thats what comes when primna donnas are the rule rather than the exception.

Anyone imagine AJ Foyt or Mario Andretti being to scared to race? I think not.

The reflections off those huge floodlights made visibility extremely difficult, apparently. Is rain less of a problem during the night sections of Enduro races, which are considerably less well-lit?

#21 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 21:57

Originally posted by Risil

The reflections off those huge floodlights made visibility extremely difficult, apparently. Is rain less of a problem during the night sections of Enduro races, which are considerably less well-lit?

In these cases, the cars have their own lights fitted, which don't shine light in the driver's eyes like the light from floodlights reflecting in the water.

#22 100cc

100cc

• 3,178 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 22:28

Originally posted by Saint Devote

Singapore weather is different how? :confused:

#23 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,565 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 22:47

If Bernie was to force the drivers to race or even trundle around behind the safety car I could see the GPDA refusing on safety grounds. With enough water on the track and no heat in the tires cars could still hit the walls...

#24 windmill

windmill

• 102 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:26

It is all about TV

The reason they put off calling the end of Sepang was to fill up 2 hours of TV.

They won't run a race the next day because TV won't cover it.

If it was raining at Singapore there would be a 30 min delay to the start, an attempt to run behind the safety car, another 30 min delay the rest of the 2 hours of TV will be "will they or won't they " ...and that fulfills the TV commitment.

It's not about sport, it's about the money.

#25 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:33

Hey with more evening hours in F1 this is going to happen at some point believe me or at least Bernie who is drunk and forcing me to write this! :o

#26 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 17:17

What would Formula One do "in that situation" at Singapore?

Fairly obvious, blame Ron Dennis and punish McLaren.........................

#27 Redback

Redback

• 1,283 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:09

Anyone ever played Rugby at night, under lights, in the rain?

It's almost impossible to see the ball, or the opponent who's about to remove the top half of your torso...

F1 under lights, in the rain would be the same except that you'd be playing on an ice-like surface and at 300kph!

Stupid, dangerous, and impractical. I don't think any of the drivers would be prepared to get into the cars under those circumstances.

Oh, and as far as spectators and the TV audience is concerned, the lights refracted through the spray would effectively make the cars invisible.

Greed and stupidity has a name. Its name is Bernie Ecclestone.

#28 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,565 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:36

Originally posted by Redback
Anyone ever played Rugby at night, under lights, in the rain?

It's almost impossible to see the ball, or the opponent who's about to remove the top half of your torso...

F1 under lights, in the rain would be the same except that you'd be playing on an ice-like surface and at 300kph!

Stupid, dangerous, and impractical. I don't think any of the drivers would be prepared to get into the cars under those circumstances.

Oh, and as far as spectators and the TV audience is concerned, the lights refracted through the spray would effectively make the cars invisible.

Greed and stupidity has a name. Its name is Bernie Ecclestone.

:up:

#29 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:04

Originally posted by krapmeister
If Bernie was to force the drivers to race or even trundle around behind the safety car I could see the GPDA refusing on safety grounds. With enough water on the track and no heat in the tires cars could still hit the walls...

.....at which point Bernie would send the SC round alone and then blame the drivers for being pussies in order to try and fulfil his contractual obligation and collect his $50 squillion......as mentioned previously, the schedule seems to be more important than the race itself, which is truly fuuhked uuhp