Photo

Ferrari shuffle the deck chairs

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 19:28

Team manager Luca Baldisserri is being moved to a "Factory role" in order to improve Ferrari's competitiveness. I think that there is a lot more wrong than just the team manager.

Advertisement

#2 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 19:30

Link?

#3 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 19:31

Originally posted by Madras
Link?

:D

Front page - this website

Well the buck stops with him at the end of the day so he's carrying the can.

#4 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 19:31

It's about time really. He was in charge of the mess.

#5 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:19

Chris Dyer will do a better job I think. He used to be Schumacher's engineer.

#6 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,418 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:01

Re-arrange these words to re-create the familiar phrase:-

Jerk/Reaction/Knee. :rolleyes:

Tony.

#7 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,373 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:07

Originally posted by Tony Mandara
Re-arrange these words to re-create the familiar phrase:-

Jerk/Reaction/Knee. :rolleyes:

Tony.

Not sure that is really completely the case.

Ferrari had a long period of reliability, winning and strategic sound calls. Everything in the world changes, it is however obvious that since Michael Schumacher retired Ferrari have gone through:

1) Michael Schumacher no longer driving.
2) Ross Brawn no longer calling the strategy and leaving the company.
3) Jean Todt leaving the company.

For all what have been written about the above as a 'super team', then Ferrari have since found that their cars break more often, that the strategy is not always sound, that the cars have been less 'strong' as having fallen back to the pack.

Not reacting would be the wrong (in)action, as a company used to winning 16 years in a row, then being in the relative shambles as they seem to be right now mandate a reaction. If the correct action is to move Baldirissi back to the factory I have no idea, however I am sure that Ferrari knows, and that is what they decided to do.

:cool:

#8 pUs

pUs

• 2,965 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:21

Not a good sign in my view. They must have believed strongly in him, you don't promote somebody to that kind of position before being very confident in his/her abilities.

Either somebody got the wrong perception of him before his promotion, or he plain underperformed in his current role, or somebody showed some bad piece of judgment. Or a bit of everything, not a good sign anyway : I don't buy this "things can't get worse"-mentality, it can get much worse than this. As soon as people no longer dares to take decisions and bear responsibility within an organisation, it starts to underperform. Politics and blame-game will be the situation instead. I don't know if this is the case at Ferrari now. I hope it's not.

#9 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:36

Originally posted by KWSN - DSM

1) Michael Schumacher no longer driving.
2) Ross Brawn no longer calling the strategy and leaving the company.
3) Jean Todt leaving the company.

Rory Byrne has stepped down somewhat too.

#10 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,373 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:37

Originally posted by RoutariEnjinu

Rory Byrne has stepped down somewhat too.

Freudian slip that I did not mention him, he is as much part of my list as any of the above.

#11 Rogue

Rogue

• 1,323 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:49

It does seem somewhat premature to make such a dramatic change. I would also think that changing things like this when the car is broken simply distracts the team's focus from the task at hand...

#12 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,373 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:24

Originally posted by Rogue
It does seem somewhat premature to make such a dramatic change. I would also think that changing things like this when the car is broken simply distracts the team's focus from the task at hand...

We do not know how long Ferrari have felt something was amis though, possible that they had inklings through testing already, and are not just reacting to the first two races.

However even if they are, I expect that they do so with more that just 'we need to do something' in mind.

#13 hello86

hello86

• 4,223 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:30

Originally posted by Madras
Chris Dyer will do a better job I think. He used to be Schumacher's engineer.

And? Does this make him a good team manager?
One have to whether he does a better job or not.
BTW I don´t think that Baldo is the only one to blame for all the stragical mistakes.

#14 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:46

Originally posted by hello86

And? Does this make him a good team manager?
One have to whether he does a better job or not.
BTW I don´t think that Baldo is the only one to blame for all the stragical mistakes.

True, doesn't even make MS himself a good team strategist, I think with BrawnGP now doing the same tricks, these these inbetween pitstop spurts that MS got the credit for must now be more credited to Ross

#15 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,418 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:29

Not sure that is really completely the case.

I hope for the sake of the team that you are right. This all seems very remenicent of the pre-Jean Todt days when the politics within (and without!) the team threatened to rip it apart. :eek:
As I said, for the sake of the team, I hope you're right.;)

Tony. :wave:

#16 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 14:08

Baldisserri was promoted once Ross Brawn left yeah? So he is more responsible than anyone else for the tactical screw ups of the past 19, 20 grands prix. I dont think it's a knee jerk reaction at all. Let's see how things go under Chris Dyer, hopefully they improve *fingers crossed*

#17 Racing Dutchman

Racing Dutchman

• 542 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 14:21

I guess Miss Dyer raided the Milan shops after reading the newspaper.

I think this was done by Montezemelo, because he quite apprantly wanted to create a Italian dream team, but even he had to change his mind after all the screw-ups since the Italians are back in charge.
Nothing against Italians, they are great people, but I mean, not to run an F1 team

#18 mfelat

mfelat

• 88 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 14:25

These big mistakes that Ferrari did in the last two races were unacceptable and I think the decision makers had to pay the price. It is just not about a wrong strategy call, it is also about Ferrari’s image. Think about a team which has 16 constructor championships lapping with extreme wet tires in bone dry conditions. Whatever you think, it’s just ridiculous.

#19 Barramut

Barramut

• 930 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 14:35

Originally posted by Bloggsworth
Team manager Luca Baldisserri is being moved to a "Factory role" in order to improve Ferrari's competitiveness. I think that there is a lot more wrong than just the team manager.

:lol:
Oh, my poor english...
The first time I read the phrase I understood 'Baldisseri is being moved to a "factory Hole", and I thought:
- OMG, they are gonna fill it with cement. :eek: Clemency please.

Advertisement

#20 mfelat

mfelat

• 88 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 16:00

Originally posted by Barramut

:lol:
Oh, my poor english...
The first time I read the phrase I understood 'Baldisseri is being moved to a "factory Hole", and I thought:
- OMG, they are gonna fill it with cement. :eek: Clemency please.

:rotfl:

#21 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 6,190 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 19:47

They could give Dave Ryan the job :)

#22 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,772 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 20:23

Originally posted by Racing Dutchman
Nothing against Italians, they are great people, but I mean, not to run an F1 team

They can't oprganise a line of people waiting to board a vessel so how the hell they expect to run a F1 team is beyond me. I went to the Monza race a few years back and there was one train per hour and a 3ft wide gate there to funnel what must have been 10,000 people through it, absolute freakin madness.

#23 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,373 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 20:27

Originally posted by Alfisti

They can't oprganise a line of people waiting to board a vessel so how the hell they expect to run a F1 team is beyond me. I went to the Monza race a few years back and there was one train per hour and a 3ft wide gate there to funnel what must have been 10,000 people through it, absolute freakin madness.

I went to Monza in 2006 and the organization was remarkable in hw good it was. Lines under control, shuttle busses to and from the parking lots running constantly, loading and unloading done with no fuss and no-one cutting lines.

20 minutes after the race ended we were on the Autostrada.

Comparing that with the inept and completely useless organization at Spa 2004 made for me suggesting Monza over Spa if for the Grand Prix experience, and not for he actual track itself.

I think that it is sad that comments like the one made, and which you quote are allowed to stay in the threads, especially thinking what else prompt a closure here.

#24 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,772 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 20:29

Italians ina line up? They just push straight to the front and pretend it's normal. Organised chaos that place.

#25 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 21:22

Originally posted by Crazy Ninja
Baldisserri was promoted once Ross Brawn left yeah? So he is more responsible than anyone else for the tactical screw ups of the past 19, 20 grands prix. I dont think it's a knee jerk reaction at all. Let's see how things go under Chris Dyer, hopefully they improve *fingers crossed*

Exactly. Knee jerk my ass.

#26 Rogue

Rogue

• 1,323 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 21:29

Originally posted by BuzzingHornet
They could give Dave Ryan the job :)

Ha! If they leave it a couple of weeks they may also get one or two other McLaren refugees as well!

#27 Racing Dutchman

Racing Dutchman

• 542 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 00:25

I went to Monza in 2006 and the organization was remarkable in hw good it was. Lines under control, shuttle busses to and from the parking lots running constantly, loading and unloading done with no fuss and no-one cutting lines.

20 minutes after the race ended we were on the Autostrada.

Comparing that with the inept and completely useless organization at Spa 2004 made for me suggesting Monza over Spa if for the Grand Prix experience, and not for he actual track itself.

I think that it is sad that comments like the one made, and which you quote are allowed to stay in the threads, especially thinking what else prompt a closure here.

Well we kind of have a point.

Also: look at Berlusconi and the things he says about Obama and the current earthquake disaster, not to mention his behavior at the NAVO meeting.

#28 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,373 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:14

Originally posted by Racing Dutchman

Well we kind of have a point.

Also: look at Berlusconi and the things he says about Obama and the current earthquake disaster, not to mention his behavior at the NAVO meeting.

I do not think you have a point, and Berlusconi is 'a' Italian not 'all' Italians. I do not understand why any nationality, creed or colour need to be painted with a sterotypical brush.

#29 Silver999

Silver999

• 48 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:24

Having connections can get you long way in a company.;)

Ahh ferrari are in shambles, just like the old days eh.

#30 smartie_f1

smartie_f1

• 296 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:24

I think its the right thing to do. Ferrari's strategic calls were questionable in some races last year and this year shows no sign of improvement. They were spoilt with Ross - he is a master tactician, able to work out the possibilities and instruct accordingly. Baldisserri sadly seemed to work out the possibilities then call the worst one. It is, perhaps, not his forte.

#31 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 440 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:01

time for bashing italians ¡¡¡ :drunk: :drunk:

at last racist spaniards can rest (in peace?)

sometimes we miss the point, please come back (seriously) to the topic :smoking:

#32 Barramut

Barramut

• 930 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 13:00

"Anyone with a command of English will tell you it is a hole, so do not let someone attempting to be clever with words defeat the express purpose of the rules," Nigel Tozzi [Ferrari Advocate]

Ferrari 'forced' to develop diffuser
Team principal Stefano Domenicali added in a statement that he was waiting to hear the reasoning behind the decision, but said that Ferrari would now invest time and money into creating a solution for its cars.

"Unfortunately this decision forces us to intervene on fundamental areas of the car's design in order to be able to compete on an equal footing with some of the teams from a point of view of the technical regulations, and that will take time and money," said Domenicali.

"We will now double our efforts to get the team back to the highest level of competitivity."

They have to change the attourney and Domenicalli too.
Domenico was waiting for the veredict to move on. It si clear now that he should have been working on since Winter Testing. :down:

#33 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,373 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 14:08

I am sure that they are a long way along already completing a new difusor, the statement you quote is as far as I can see nothing but hot air supposed to pacify the public.

#34 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 14:10

Exactly. Ferrari would probably have started looking at the DDD when Brawn first showed up to testing.

#35 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 14:11

Gerhard Berger as team manager and/or Giorgio Ascanelli as technical director :up:

This combination could perform well at Ferrari for many reasons:
- STR experience with Ferrari engine
- GA. tremendous experience
- GB popular with the tifosi
- Both have proven that they can manage an F1 team

#36 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 17:20

I think that while it might be partly due to tactical errors, I think Ferrari are more concerned with the lack of competitiveness compared with other teams. I think that the task force setup to catch the DD teams is more of a promotion/ refocusing Luca's skills where Ferrari most urgently need them. I actually thought that Baldisserri being in charge of just strategy (and other race weekends jobs) meant that he wasn't actually being used to his full potential. He is a very talented engineer, who according to Stefano should be in the factory rather than the pit wall. Ferrari need a good point man to ensure that they catch the others, and if you could free up a senior Ferrari team member to take charge of development, then you would be hard pushed to find anyone better than Luca.

#37 rdebourbon

rdebourbon

• 1,628 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 17:23

Originally posted by F1Champion
I think that while it might be partly due to tactical errors, I think Ferrari are more concerned with the lack of competitiveness compared with other teams. I think that the task force setup to catch the DD teams is more of a promotion/ refocusing Luca's skills where Ferrari most urgently need them. I actually thought that Baldisserri being in charge of just strategy (and other race weekends jobs) meant that he wasn't actually being used to his full potential. He is a very talented engineer, who according to Stefano should be in the factory rather than the pit wall. Ferrari need a good point man to ensure that they catch the others, and if you could free up a senior Ferrari team member to take charge of development, then you would be hard pushed to find anyone better than Luca.

+1 - Thats what I figured as well.. Just because he is at the factory, doesnt mean he wont be involved on race weekends either - most teams stream live data back to the factory for offsite analysis - plus he can be contacted if required...

#38 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:53

Before someone notices it in the Ferrari F60 thread and that topic goes way offtopic again:

Chris Dyer made the statement that they "have a good strategy". (He was talking about Kimi)

Daring statement of him?

#39 rdebourbon

rdebourbon

• 1,628 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 14:44

Originally posted by F.M.
Before someone notices it in the Ferrari F60 thread and that topic goes way offtopic again:

Chris Dyer made the statement that they "have a good strategy". (He was talking about Kimi)

Daring statement of him?

No I dont think its a daring statement - I think they have a sensible strategy with both cars.. My concern is that Felipe may be running too heavy, and he may wear his tyres too quickly..

But they have details on wear rates, I dont..

Overall it looks sensible enough...