Photo

Josh Randles

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Aikey

Michael Aikey

• 63 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:09

I am seeking biographical and racing information on British driver Josh Randles. Randles was racing Coopers in the early to mid-1960's. He also was the proprietor of "J. Randall", a Standard and Triumph dealer in Stoke-On-Kent. Thank you in advance.

Michael Aikey

Advertisement

#2 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:11

Some info on page 15 of the following:

http://www.coopercar...g/July_2002.pdf

Maybe contact Terry Hefty?

Vince H.

#3 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:42

He was known as Jos Randles, not Josh Randles.
See this site for a few more details www.randles.co.uk/history/

#4 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:10

Jos hillclimbed a Lister Bristol and later a Cooper Monaco fitted witha Maserati engine.He modified the bodywork and fitted cycle wings for better visability.The Maserati was later fitted to a Lotus 23 with disaterous results. His daughter hillclimbed a lotus 47.

#5 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:07

Originally posted by Adam F
He was known as Jos Randles, not Josh Randles.
See this site for a few more details www.randles.co.uk/history/

I don't remember it as that name.
But memory is a fickle thing.

#6 Michael Aikey

Michael Aikey

• 63 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:05

Let me add more confusion into the discussion of "Josh" or "Jos" Randles' name. I recently acquired a photograph autographed by Mr. Randles of him driving a Cooper Climax. The photograph, ca. 1962, is signed "J. Randles." I also have the typed letter written by Mr. Randles' secretary to the autograph collector who requested the signature which accompanied the photograph. The letter, dated "14th December, 1962", is on printed and embossed company stationary. The firm name is "J. Randall."

The letter reads: "I am instructed by Mr. Josh Randles, our Proprietor, to send you the enclosed photograph, in answer to your letter received some weeks ago." The letter is signed, "Yours faithfully, for Josh Randles. (Mrs.) B. Cox??". (I cannot make out the last two letters in her name.)

It is certainly possible that Mr. Randles used both given names at different times of his life. The mystery continues.

Thank you for the information received so far. Any thoughts on his date of birth?

Michael

#7 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:25

The Randles family garage was blessed with a Lotus Dealership and the Elan I sold last year was orginally one of the cars they sold.

:wave:

#8 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:27

I presume that you have exhausted all the usual avenues? eg Libraries in Stoke area, old local newspapers, local historical society, letter for info in local papers, ditto on local radio,etc etc. DOB should be easy too. Then all you need to do is source/buy, neither easy or cheap, copies of Motoring News and Autosport for the relevant periods and trawl through at length for any race reports and edverts for his cars, then spend ages sourcing relevant programmes from a whole range of people, clubs and dealers. I nearly forgot. Find and interview as many people as possible who knew him or raced against him. Job's done
Roger Lund

#9 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 16:17

"In my day" they were known as Tim and Zoe Randles, you can find info if you Google.

#10 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:17

The newspaper article in the link below calls him Joshua Randles. No guarantee, of course, that they've got their facts right:

http://www.stokesent...tail/story.html

#11 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:59

Well that article helped - Sybil Randles was born in 1927 in Stoke-on-Trent. Mother's maiden name was Hughes.

Therefore "Jos" Randles is (when checking all Randles born with the maiden name Hughes in Staffordshire)...

JOSHUA Randles, born 25 Sep 1915, Wolstanton, Staffordshire, died March 1994, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 22 May 2014 - 19:18.

#12 Zoe1946

Zoe1946

• 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 19:33

I am Zoe Walker (nee Randles) daughter of Jos/Josh/Joshua Randles. I have many details regarding my fathers' racing activities, successes and I worked with him in the business. Several years ago I corresponded with Terry Hefty exchanging photographs of the Cooper Monaco he purchased from my Dad.
I was the Zoe in Tim (my brother) and Zoe Randles. Unsuccessfully, in comparison with my Dad I raced a Downton converted Mini Cooper S (ex Charles Boot) a lightweight Lotus Élan and a Lotus 47.
I do not know if I can submit my 'e' mail address but I am more than willing to give any reasonable information regarding my fathers' racing and his cars.
The lady referred to by Michael Aiken 'Mrs B Cox is Mrs Betty Coxon my aunt and fathers' secretary until 1963. She is alive and well, I see her twice a week.

#13 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:37

By chance I stumbled upon the small photo of Josh Randalls in the September 1961 issue of Motor Racing, while looking for something else. The Cooper getting my attention.

I for one, would be happy to read more about the Randalls competition days & cars. Certainly some interesting cars mentioned Zoe, with the Monaco, Downton Cooper S, etc. So please share some memories here.

Stephen

image.jpg
screen grab

#14 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:31

531195_10150793250323560_19654775_n.jpg?

From Autosport 26th April '63 - unattributed

Edited by Stephen W, 23 February 2015 - 10:09.

#15 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:58

Mudguards and road-registered!  :up:

#16 DAVID163

DAVID163

• 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 15:52

I am Zoe Walker (nee Randles) daughter of Jos/Josh/Joshua Randles. I have many details regarding my fathers' racing activities, successes and I worked with him in the business. Several years ago I corresponded with Terry Hefty exchanging photographs of the Cooper Monaco he purchased from my Dad.
I was the Zoe in Tim (my brother) and Zoe Randles. Unsuccessfully, in comparison with my Dad I raced a Downton converted Mini Cooper S (ex Charles Boot) a lightweight Lotus Élan and a Lotus 47.
I do not know if I can submit my 'e' mail address but I am more than willing to give any reasonable information regarding my fathers' racing and his cars.
The lady referred to by Michael Aiken 'Mrs B Cox is Mrs Betty Coxon my aunt and fathers' secretary until 1963. She is alive and well, I see her twice a week.

Hi, I came across this topic about your father when searching for news about Wharf Street, Stoke. I worked for the garage in Wharf Street for about a year around 1977. I was employed in the body repair shop. I note some of the topics here are about your father's racing career which brings me to the famous mini I believed he raced at Shelsey Walsh hill climb. Of course I refer to the Downton-engined Mini Cooper "S" Reg 4410 EH. 

I first saw the car in the body shop at the garage and to this day I remember Tim saying something like "it was faster than a E-Type off the start". To confirm this Tim took me out in the car to a local street where he proved the point -what acceleration! Unbelievable in it's day.

My brother bought the car from the garage and we had some great times in it (more in another post maybe) I wonder if anyone knows if the car is still around? We would love to see any pics. Do you know if the car still exists? 

I look forward to your reply if you see this post. I have lots of memories about the car and my time at Randles.

Kind Regards

#17 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,052 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 14:01

See:

https://revslib.stan...log/jr076fc4291

RGDS RLT

#18 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 20:11

On the quarter-mile climb at Great Auclum, Burghfield, which is near Reading. Today, I believe, a housing estate...   :rolleyes:

DCN

#19 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,052 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:08

Another shot from Great Auclum, 1963:

https://library.revs...ion=p17257coll1

Results from racecarstory:

1st - Peter Westbury (Felday Daimler v8 2548cc s/c) in 19.33s

2nd - Peter Boshier-Jones (Lotus 22 Coventry-Climax s4 1300cc s/c) in 19.75s

3rd - David Good (Cooper Special Daimler v8 2548cc)

4th - Peter Wilson (Martini Triumph s2 650cc)

5th - Patricia Burt (Cooper Special Coventry-Climax FPF s4 1960cc)

6th - Arthur Owen (Lotus 23 Ford-Cosworth Twin Cam s4 1594cc)

7th - Josh Randles (Cooper T49 Monaco Maserati s6 2992cc)

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 18 May 2020 - 02:31.