Photo

RoC in Beijing!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:41

Wow... well there's a decision and a half.

Didn't the organisers of the event say they were dropping wembley because in 2007 they had 50,000 fans but in 2008 only had 48,000 fans (boohoo) despite a better starting lineup of drivers?

Well guys, I hate to be the one to tell you, but if you think you'll get 50 fans, let alone 50,000, you're having a laugh.

Have you ever been to the China GP? Do you have any concept of the antipathy towards racing?

And, more to the point, a competition involving predominantly European teams (save for the USA) is to be held in China... in the middle of a global recession.

Chumps.

:down:

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:43

I bet it will be subsidised up the poopchute by local/regional government, which could actually attract bigger names if they get cash in brown envelopes.

I thought the first year of indoor (2004?) was cool, but it quickly became reptitive. I think they should go back to some sort of dirt/pavement hybrid like they had in Canaria.

#3 cdaara

cdaara

• 294 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:47

:up: Ross

It was never the same after they moved it "indoors". Take the RoC back to the island, where it belongs.

#4 vicksplum

vicksplum

• 88 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 19:33

Tragic. Mid-week and half-way across the world. It's a real shame they did this.

Also, if it's just two days after the last F1 race are we going to get any F1 stars? I know there's an awful lot of talent out there and the last three years have had rally & DTM champs win it, but the F1 drivers are the big pull - especially if they are that far away.

Guess I won't be 1. going or 2. watching. Shame.

#5 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 19:37

I imagine it would be placed so it will be on during the European evening for maximum TV viewers.

#6 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 33,020 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 19:37

Saw the title and said to myself "Republic of China in Beijing, politics in RC ?"

Anyways, Race of Champions belongs in that dirt bowl in Gran Canaria. The only point of moving it away from there was the lack of suporters I guess.

#7 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 20:16

Originally posted by Ali_G
The only point of moving it away from there was the lack of suporters I guess.

And now Wembley...

#8 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 20:43

I guess they found a golden egg in the Bird's nest.

#9 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 21:54

They just killed any possible Nascar driver participation...as it's during the chase in between race weeks...

#10 dnbn

dnbn

• 2,033 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 22:02

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
I imagine it would be placed so it will be on during the European evening for maximum TV viewers.

Beijing is 6 hours ahead of continental Europe. European evening means well past midnight in Beijing.