Photo

Gavin Youl

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Aikey

Michael Aikey

• 63 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:28

Is there any biographical or racing career information available on Gavin Youl, an Australian driver in the 1960's. Thanks in advance.

Michael

Advertisement

#2 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:42

Campaigned a FJ in UK and Europe in the 60s....

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,585 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:32

Gavin Boyce Youl - drove the first Brabham FJnr.

:wave:

#4 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 475 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:05

Drove an Austin Lancer with Twin Cam MGA engine then a Porsche in Tasmania with a few trips to Mainland thrown in prior to his Brabham days.
Mentioned in TNF Forgotten drivers section.
Ellis

#5 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:18

One of the best pieces written involving Gavin Youl, was one of the late David McKay's 'Drivers I have known' feature series in 'Motor Racing Australia' magazine. In issue 14 he covered the Youl Brothers, John & Gavin.

Symmons Plains race circuit in Tasmania was built on the Youl Family property and Gavin did race the first 'Brabham' FJ as Steve Wilkinson mentions. But when still known as MRD. Hopefully Geoff Smedley will share a few anecdotes on Gavin.

Stephen

#6 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:27

His day-to-day living expenses came via what could be termed "old money" by Antipodean/Tasmanian standards ... my recollection of him was mid to late 50's at Port Wakefield (Sth Australia) in a 356 Porsche - blitzing the field in a street-quiet bog standard sports cruiser purchased, no doubt, with the aforesaid "old money".
He also, IIRC, had sufficient of the previously mentioned O.M. to acquire and fly a DH Chipmunk to an Australasian altitude record of some sort: in the Apple Isle, I believe. Years later, in my own less than glorious racing career, I came to the conclusion that motor racing success had more to do with finances - personal or otherwise - than driving ability alone. And I guess I'm not alone in that discovery..... :|

#7 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 160 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:46

Gavin Youl, Warwick Farm February 1962 in the MRD, the first Brabham.

Posted Image

#8 Michael Aikey

Michael Aikey

• 63 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:31

Anyone have a date of birth for Youl?

#9 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:40

the jaguar connection
The youls had an XK140fhc I believe and also had a MK1 Jaguar saloon which they ran at Longford and I think were just as quick as the bigwigs from the mainland ie McKay etc in their Jaguar saloons.
There is a write up on him in an early "sports car world" magazine with a pic of MK1 at the viaduct.
It would only take a little time to fill in the gaps
terry

#10 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,624 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:23

Gavin was born in 1936 and died in 1982. Both John and Gavin were involved with the design of the Symmons Plains circuit, along with Robin Bessant, and were very much instrumental in getting the whole thing up and running. Their Symmons Plains property was one of the biggest private landholdings in Tassy for many years (and probobly still is). The original John Youl was a clergyman and arrived in Tas in 1818. He was awarded the land grant in the early 1820's on the South Esk which was eventually developed into the Symmons Plains
holding. This was common practice in the early days of the colony and my own great great grandfather (probobly a few more greats too)
was awarded a similar grant in the New Norfolk area(in the 1820's) which was also turned into a long held farming property.
The family was a very big part of Tassy motorsport in the early to mid 60's with John especially, being right at forefront of openwheelers
in Australia - Gavin was probobly better known for his exploits in the twin cam Austin Lancer (and Porsche as mentioned elsewhere), but did have some success in F Junior.
Regards, ellrosso

#11 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 110 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 00:11

the jaguar connection
The youls had an XK140fhc I believe and also had a MK1 Jaguar saloon which they ran at Longford and I think were just as quick as the bigwigs from the mainland ie McKay etc in their Jaguar saloons.
There is a write up on him in an early "sports car world" magazine with a pic of MK1 at the viaduct.
It would only take a little time to fill in the gaps
terry

Both these cars were used as family transport on the Symmons Plains property. the X.K. came first and Boyce (the father) used it in several speed events and it was sold and replaced with the Mk.1 which was also family transport. Both the sons, John & Gavin were bitten by the bug and were competing in run of the mill vehicles both learning their craft and in 1962 John saw a challenge when it was announced that David McKay was running the then 'works' Mk.1 Jaguar in the upcoming Longford race meeting in March of that year so John got into the ear of his dad Boyce to borrow the family car and with a short tweak up entered a challenge to McKay and as history shows Youl beat the factory works machine in the family hack which caused a stir at the time. At that same meeting younger brother Gavin was also stiring the pot somewhat in his Austin Lancer to which he had fitted the then new M.G. twin cam engine which transformed the Lancer bringing success in several races over that weekend, The previous year Gavin had travelled to the UK and visited Jack Brabham/ Ron Tauranac's Motor Race Development setup while on a mission to fly his newly purchased Cessna 172 back to Australia which he dis, he later returned to Briton purchased the first MRD formula junior and campaigned there for the fledgling company and I recall its first outing in Australia was at Warwick Farm in 1962. Gavin loved his flying and on many occasions while living on the property I would be invited to accompany him in his latest device be it helicopter or fixed wing aircraft, anyway It was soon after Longford in 1962 when Gavin returned to the UK and the MRD was left in the Symmons Plains workshop from where it was sold to the mainland while Gavin was overseas driving the first car to be officially as a Brabham and was then joined by a young Denny Hulme forming perhaps the first Brabham team ever. This car too was brought back to Australia and I can only recall Gavin racing it once in this country and that was at Katoomba 1963
I believe it is a shame that someone has not written a book on the exploits of the Youl brothers two of the great characters to pass through one's life and a wonderful experience

#12 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:11

and in 1962 John saw a challenge when it was announced that David McKay was running the then 'works' Mk.1 Jaguar in the upcoming Longford race meeting in March of that year so John got into the ear of his dad Boyce to borrow the family car and with a short tweak up entered a challenge to McKay and as history shows Youl beat the factory works machine in the family hack which caused a stir at the time.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This photo shows Gavin Youl in the 356 Porsche at Symmons Plains in early 1961, possibly its last race before he left for England. The car, as per earlier posts, was first raced by John in 1956 after being purchased secondhand (but not very old) from Tasmanian Porsche agent Don Gorringe. It was fairly heavily tuned over the years of Youl ownership and ran in the Appendix K class for the last few years they had it. Does Geoff know where this car was sold to?

The MRD FJ had its first race in Tasmania at Baskerville in February 1962, before a second appearance at Longford in March. I belive it was in its original light blue at Baskerville ( I have photos somewhere but cannot find at moment) but was repainted in red with green stripes of Scuderia Veloce before Longford, along with John's T51 Cooper. John and Gavin both ran under SV for a period,

The celebrated race at Longford in which John beat the McKay Jaguar was in 1959, not 1962; McKay later said he had been having 'spark plug troubles' but I think in later years that was discounted. I have heard that the secret to success for the Youl Mk 1 was its brakes; John and Boyce had new, heavely finned drums made, which were (at least in a short race on a track with cooling opportunities like Longford) the equal or better than McKays. A young charger with something to prove might have been a factor, too, though McKay did not like losing.

The Mk 1 Jag was first raced seriously (there were other club events) in 1958 when father Boyce ran it at Longford, coming second to Len Lukey's Customline.

Gavin was very well known for his helicopter activities through the 1970s - I can remember numerous news reports referring to rescue activities performed in remote parts of Tasmania.

There is an issue of Sports Car World in 1962 with an article by Eoin Young detailing how he hitched a lift with Gavin when he flew an ex Jack Brabham aircraft from England to Tasmania. I think this was at end of the 1961 English season, probably as the MRD was being sent by sea.

Rob Saward

Edited by austmcreg, 25 April 2012 - 01:18.

#13 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,360 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:21

Later paint scheme at Longford...
Posted Image

Edited by SJ Lambert, 25 April 2012 - 01:22.

#14 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 110 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:48

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This photo shows Gavin Youl in the 356 Porsche at Symmons Plains in early 1961, possibly its last race before he left for England. The car, as per earlier posts, was first raced by John in 1956 after being purchased secondhand (but not very old) from Tasmanian Porsche agent Don Gorringe. It was fairly heavily tuned over the years of Youl ownership and ran in the Appendix K class for the last few years they had it. Does Geoff know where this car was sold to?

The MRD FJ had its first race in Tasmania at Baskerville in February 1962, before a second appearance at Longford in March. I belive it was in its original light blue at Baskerville ( I have photos somewhere but cannot find at moment) but was repainted in red with green stripes of Scuderia Veloce before Longford, along with John's T51 Cooper. John and Gavin both ran under SV for a period,

The celebrated race at Longford in which John beat the McKay Jaguar was in 1959, not 1962; McKay later said he had been having 'spark plug troubles' but I think in later years that was discounted. I have heard that the secret to success for the Youl Mk 1 was its brakes; John and Boyce had new, heavely finned drums made, which were (at least in a short race on a track with cooling opportunities like Longford) the equal or better than McKays. A young charger with something to prove might have been a factor, too, though McKay did not like losing.

The Mk 1 Jag was first raced seriously (there were other club events) in 1958 when father Boyce ran it at Longford, coming second to Len Lukey's Customline.

Gavin was very well known for his helicopter activities through the 1970s - I can remember numerous news reports referring to rescue activities performed in remote parts of Tasmania.

There is an issue of Sports Car World in 1962 with an article by Eoin Young detailing how he hitched a lift with Gavin when he flew an ex Jack Brabham aircraft from England to Tasmania. I think this was at end of the 1961 English season, probably as the MRD was being sent by sea.

Rob Saward

You are quite right Rob it was in 1969 the Youl/McKay duel and yes I made the finned brake drums for the Jag. and I recently saw the car laying in a shed in Latrobe a little forlorn but still wearing many of its goodies of that time. I have an idea the Porche was part of a deal when John took over the Whylie Javelin Special from Don Gorringe, not sure!!

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:08

One thing is always for certain on TNF...

If you see Geoff Smedley has posted then there's something to be learned from that post.

Geoff, you are a mine of information. I suspect you will have to become the subject of some serious input in our next book!

#16 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:01

I remember watching Youl in the MRD at Aintree on B&W television, I believe it was it's first race - Blimey, I was young then...

Edited by Bloggsworth, 26 April 2012 - 18:46.

#17 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:57

Was that before or after the MRD? :)

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:14

Does it matter?

It all contributed to Gavin's Racing Development, didn't it?

Strangely enough, I don't believe I ever saw him race! I wasn't at Catalina when he was there and I think he'd retired before I started serious travelling.

#19 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 15:55

Was that before or after the MRD? :)

I seem to recall Raymond Baxter calling it an MRD. ****! I knew that...

Edited by Bloggsworth, 26 April 2012 - 18:46.

Advertisement

#20 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 16:22

There was a later car called the GRD, but the Brabham effort, built by Motor Racing Developments and driven by Youl, was the MRD

#21 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 22:08

According to one of Eoin Young's books Gavin Youl rolled a FJ Brabham at Brands Hatch towards the end of 1962 and broke his collarbone. Eoin calls it the prototype, I can find no report in Autosport so I guess it could have been a test day, anyone know any more about this incident?

#22 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 00:41

The MRD was the Brabham 'prototype'...

And that was in Australia by the beginning of 1962. I think you have your story a year out.

To fix this in time, remember that Jack drove a Lotus 24 in 1962 as he awaited the completion of his Brabham F1 car. He was already selling cars as 'Brabhams' before he raced that at the Nurburgring.

#23 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:22

The MRD was the Brabham 'prototype'...

And that was in Australia by the beginning of 1962. I think you have your story a year out.

No I am not a year out which is why I asked the question! How about BT3 prototype? Gavin raced for most of '62 in the UK, here for example is Goodwood in '62 http://www.formula2.net/FJ62_GB56.htm and according to Eoin Young Youl returning to Australia opened the door for Denny Hulme.

All recorded in the book Memories of the Bear.

Edited by Andrew Fellowes, 22 February 2013 - 06:27.

#24 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:12

My own memory - difficult to check at the moment - is that Hulme got his first works Brabham FJ drive, at Crystal Palace in June 1962, as a stand-in for Youl, who had been injured in a previous race

#25 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:40

The 1962 FJ results from formula2.net show:

May 27, Brands Hatch, Youl, DNA
nothing till
August 6, Brands Hatch, Youl, 7th

So did he crash at Brands Hatch in May and return to racing there in August?

Vince H.

#26 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:54

Autosport's Brands report doesn't mention any such accident but the timing ties in with Hulme's Crystal Palace appearance a week or two later

#27 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:10

With a normal 8 week recovery that would fit too.

#28 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,667 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 22:05

I read somewhere that the Jaguar mark 1 is still in Tasmania,has been stored for many years in garage,in period condition

#29 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 22:37

A terrific letter sent back home by Keith the teams transporter driver and other duties I am not aware of....

Quick pic taken in the library....hope it is illiegigible :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 22 February 2013 - 22:37.

#30 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,360 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:26

P1090513.jpg

P1090514.jpg

P1090515.jpg

P1090516.jpg

#31 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,059 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 13:40

Goodwood B.A.R.C. Championship, 19 August 1961, 15 laps
B.A.R.C. International Formula Junior Championship
1. Alan Rees, Lotus-Ford, 91.2 mph
2. Gavin Youl, M.R.D.-Ford

3. D. Taylor, Lola-Ford

Crystal Palace, B.A.R.C., 2 September 1961, Event Two, September Trophy, Heat Two, 10 laps:

#8 G.B. Youl, M.R.D.-Ford, Blue, 4 Cyls., 1097 c.c.

Crystal Palace, B.A.R.C., 11 June 1962, Anerley Trophy race, Heat 1, 10 laps

#63 Brabham Racing Developments Ltd, (Driver: G.B. Youl), Repco Brabham-Ford, 4 Cyls., 1098 c.c., Blue

Edited by Rupertlt1, 23 May 2014 - 14:35.

#32 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 475 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 22:28

The Mk 1 Jag referred to earlier is now in Launceston waiting a restotation.

#33 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:19

From Jack Brabham's column in October 1961 Motor Racing

Then from the early 2000's, one of Graham Gauld's magazines showing Frank Gardner in the same MRD FJ at the July 15, 1961 British GP, Aintree support

Stephen

image.jpg

image.jpg

picture share

Edited by cooper997, 24 May 2014 - 03:22.

#34 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,059 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:08

For those of you struggling with the small typeface, I have transcribed the above from Oct 1961 Motor Racing:

To change the subject a lot of people have
been asking me about the Formula Junior
MRD, which had a pretty good outing at
Goodwood on the day of the TT. Unfortun-
ately I was not able to be there to see it, but
I hear that it shook one or two people both
in practice and the race, particularly since it
was piloted by a young unknown driver,
Gavin Youl, who had no previous experi-
ence of single seater racing cars.
The MRD is a little project on which Ron
Tauranac, an old friend of mine from
Australia, has been working. Ron and I have
enjoyed playing motorcars for several years,
and I felt that his talent was being wasted in
Australia. So I was delighted when he decided
to come to Britain to work with us. His
particular flair is in the suspension depart-
ment.
The MRD is pretty conventional by today's
standards, but I think some of the detail work
is not too bad.
We will be making a few models in kit
form for a firm in Australia and I suppose
that if there is a demand we might consider
making more for the British market at a later
stage. Anyway, the car is an encourag-
ing start, and I must say it is very pleasant
to have toys of your own to play with.

Photo captions:
New toy which has been backed by Brabham is the Formula Junior MRD-Ford, seen here at
Crystal Palace with driver and new owner Gavin Youl, and talented designer-constructor
Ron Tauranac. Kits are to be offered for sale in Australia.

Gavin Youl, seen here clipping the edge at South Tower, Crystal Palace, has shown great promise in the MRD-Ford, his first single-
seater. Previous experience of the 26-year-old Tasmanian has been with a Porsche 90.

#35 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,059 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 13:02

Grand Prix of Denmark
Roskilde Ring, 24 August 1962:

1. John Love (Rhodesia), Cooper-B.M.C., 38'31.8
2. Tony Maggs (South Africa), Cooper-B.M.C., 38'45.1
3. Mike Spence (GB), Lotus-Ford, 39'22.2
4. Gavin Youl (Australia), Brabham-Ford, 39'25.7
5. Mike Anthony (GB), Lotus-Ford, 40'35.6

Fastest lap: John Love & Ingve Rosqvist, Lotus-Ford, 0'44.2

Grand Prix du Midi Pyrénées Languedoc
Albi, 9 September 1962, 30 laps final x 3.660 km lap:

1. Peter Arundell (GB), Lotus-Ford, 43'22.5, 150.996 kph
2. Mike Spence (GB), Lotus-Ford
3. Denis Hulme (NZ), Cooper-B.M.C.
4. Jo Schlesser (FR), Brabham-Ford
5. Gavin Youl (AUS), Brabham-Ford
6. Frank Gardner (AUS), Brabham-Ford, at 1 lap
7. André Periat (CH), Cooper-B.M.C. at 2 laps
8. Mac Daghorn (Jersey), Lotus-Ford at 3 laps
9. Philippe Martel (FR), Lotus-Ford at 4 laps

Fastest lap: Peter Arundell (GB), Lotus-Ford, 1'25.0, 154.001 kmh

Edited by Rupertlt1, 24 May 2014 - 14:10.

#36 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:28

Firstly, thanks to Rupertlt1 for his transcription of the 'Motor Racing' piece. I'm very much on learner plates on this image caper.

After a little ferreting I've dug out the September 2, 1961 Crystal Palace race programme, with Gavin in the heat entry list. But not in the handwritten in final.

image.jpg

post img

Plus, in my haste yesterday I just took the event for the GG magazine cover as stated in the mag. But I'm now thinking this couldn't be from the 1961 British GP meeting if there was only a Grand Touring and the GP races at that meeting. The April 28, 1962 Aintree International meeting could be a possibility for that photo though. In event 2 'Formula Junior Race' there's '39 Brabham Racing Developments Ltd (Dvr F Gardner) Brabham Ford 4 1098 Blue'

Stephen

#37 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,129 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:03

Congratulations Stephen....you've mastered the 'Posting Pics' thing. Looking forward to more.  :up: 

#38 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,059 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:16

Coupe International Des Juniors
Reims Grand Prix meeting, 30 June 1962
2 Heats and Final over 10 laps each-83 Kilometres
"To complete the day 30 Juniors took part in the 10-lap Final,
from which the yellow Ian Walker Lotus of Michael Spence
emerged victorious ahead of Attwood who had driven well after
a slow start; among the favourites who retired were Arundell,
Rees, Gardner and Youl.-D.S.J."

Rouen-les-Essarts, 8 July 1962:

Heat 1
1. Peter Arundell (GB), Lotus-Ford, 50'02.2, 156.893 kph
2. Frank Gardner (AUS), Brabham-Ford, 50'11.8
3. Alan Rees (GB), Lotus-Ford, 50'58.7
4. Denis Hulme (NZ), Cooper-B.M.C., 51'02.7
5. Bob Anderson (GB), Lotus-Ford, 52'04.2
6. José Rosinski (FR), Cooper-Ford, 52'11.5
7. John Hine (GB), Lola-Ford, at 1 lap
8. Bill Bradley (GB), Lola-Ford, at 1 lap
9. Jo Schlesser (FR), Brabham-Ford, at 1 lap
10. Martin Gould (GB), Lotus-Ford, at 1 lap

Heat 2
1. Peter Arundell (GB), Lotus-Ford, 50'27.0, 155.007 kph
2. Jo Schlesser (FR), Brabham-Ford, 50'39.7
3. Mike Spence (GB), Lotus-Ford, 51'11.0
4. Alan Rees (GB), Lotus-Ford, 51'23.8
5. Bob Anderson (GB), Lotus-Ford, 51'57.0
6. Henri Grandsire (FR), Lotus-Ford, at 1 lap
7. David Hitches (GB), Lola-Ford, at 1 lap
8. André Periat (CH), Cooper-B.M.C. at 1 lap
9. Gavin Youl (AUS), Brabham-Ford, at 2 laps
10.José Rosinski (FR), Cooper-Ford, at 8 laps

Final Classification on aggregate time:
1. Peter Arundell (GB), Lotus-Ford, 1.40'29.2, 155.950 kph 
2. Alan Rees (GB), Lotus-Ford, 1.42'22.5
3. Bob Anderson (GB), Lotus-Ford, 1.44'01.2
4. Jo Schlesser (FR), Brabham-Ford, at 1 lap
5. David Hitches (GB), Lola-Ford, at 2 laps
6. Henri Grandsire (FR), Lotus-Ford, at 4 laps
7. Rudolph de Weck (CH), Lotus-Ford, at 4 laps
8. Denis Hulme (NZ), Cooper-B.M.C., at 8 laps
9. José Rosinski (FR), Cooper-Ford, at 8 laps

See: http://www.formula2.net/FJ62_E40.htm

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 25 May 2014 - 11:09.

#39 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,059 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 19:31

The M.R.D. made its debut at Mallory Park, driven by Gavin Youl.

See The Jack Brabham Story: http://books.google.... M.R.D.&f=false

Note the involvement of Derek Buckler in building the chassis.

Advertisement

#40 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 475 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 21:29

The  afore mentioned Mk1 Jag....

Then

YoulJagLewisHolden_zps4c31ffdf.jpg

and now (2010 anyway)

Snapshot2012-11-2308-57-31_zps3ab9f13c.j

#41 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:27

Congratulations Stephen....you've mastered the 'Posting Pics' thing. Looking forward to more.  :up:

Thanks Greg, turned out easier than many posts on TNF would have you believe. All I did was click on a post-image link Vince H had posted in the 'How to post images' thread and muddled my way through. It worked. Thanks to you also, for your help in posting stuff on my behalf previously.

Ok back on subject, Rupertlt1's post about the Mallory Park debut sent me for ferret through some Autosport. The July 28, 1961 issue revealed the July 23 BRSCC Club Meeting report.

Then in the August 25, 1961 issue the August 19 Goodwood TT report. Gavin's FJ race second place elevating him to feature in that issue's ESSO advert too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

imagehosting

#42 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,360 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:45

I've found a photo of Gavin in the MRD at Catalina Park - Katoomba in 1962 - photo by Bruce Wells on the Autopics.com.au site - can't seem to put the link up now, will do so later......

#43 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:27

Is he #2? Could be either March or October 1962 meetings. First was the NSW FJ Championships, other the Australian.

Stephen

#44 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,360 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:13

He sure is! Blue and number 2!

#45 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,360 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:22

Here's the link

http://autopics.com....er-bruce-wells/

#46 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 08:35

One of David McKay's Drivers... features in the early days of Motor Racing Australia

MRA-Mc-Kay-Youl-01-TNF.jpg

MRA-Mc-Kay-Youl-02-TNF.jpg

Stephen

#47 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 01:30

Part of RCN's Catalina Park report that saw the first championship win for a Brabham/ Tauranac chassis.

1962-RCN-Catalina-FJ-Champs-TNF.jpg

Note the SCUDERIA VELOCE warpaint on the MRD (shown here following Leo G).

Stephen

#48 Porsche718

Porsche718

• 865 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 02:20

Yes, there's also an Autopics shot here confirming the red.

https://autopics.com...er-bruce-wells/

I think the Catalina programme says it was entered as blue, but need that confirmed. The first programme I have with red as it's colour is June Warwick Farm.

Do we know what colour it was at Longford?

#49 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 03:12

Steve, Warwick Farm was prolific at listing colours. Catalina not so.

Sunday, 11/3/62 (P) Catalina Park NSW Formula Junior Championship Meeting 

Formula Junior Personalities (writeup)

“No 2 – GAVIN YOUL (TASMANIA) - MRD

Entered by Scuderia Veloce, this car will be one of the best turned out for the event. The car was built by Jack Brabham and is known as M.R.D – Motor Racing Development. Gavin is one of Brabham’s drivers and will be going to England this year to drive for Jack Brabham in F.J events.”

Event 7 Formula Junior – 6 laps 12.39pm p18 

2 Scuderia Veloce / G Youl (Tas) MRD Ford 1098

Event 14 1962 NSW Craven Filter Formula Junior Championship - 20 laps 3.06pm p25.

2 Scuderia Veloce / G Youl (Tas) MRD Ford 1098

As for Longford, somewhere around TNF I feel James Lambert may have added a colour photo his dad took with the MRD in SV scheme. But at the moment I can't locate to confirm. Also, LMRA didn't add colours to their 1962 entry lists

Stephen

#50 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 03:45

Earlier in this thread, James Lambert posted the Eoin Young SCW feature when he took the ex Brabham Cessna trip with Gavin. This is the cover of the same issue

1962-SCW-MRD-cockpit-TNF.jpg

Stephen