Photo

Latest from Flav's world

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 drionita

drionita

• 221 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 17:52

Hi all, these quotes are taken from an interview to Gazzetta dello Sport (sorry for the translation, if someone can do better, here's the link http://www.gazzetta..../briatore.shtml)

"It's like I come back in Italy after just a year, buy a newspaper and read about Reggina, Lecce, Bologna and Torino at the top of the Serie A and Inter, Juventus and Milan at the bottom"

Referring to Barrichello and Button:
"The drivers in our teams were and are world champions and now, instead, an almost-pension-aged driver and another one - a good fellow but a "curbstone" - are fighting for the championship."

"It's impossible to fill the gap we have from those teams. The championships will be decided within three-four GPs, and I can't imagine TV and fans interest in seeing a race when Button has 60 pts, Nakajima has 50 pts and another driver 80 pts: better listen it at the radio and watch anything else"

---
Matt
Southern Italy

Advertisement

#2 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 17:59

Originally posted by drionita
"...and I can't imagine TV and fans interest in seeing a race when Button has 60 pts, Nakajima has 50 pts and another driver 80 pts: better listen it at the radio and watch anything else"

Fortunately he won't need an imagination, he'll be able to witness it for himself in a few races! :clap:

#3 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:02

Flav has a curbstone for a brain.

#4 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:02

i am gettin tired of these whining team bosses.... flavio, mario...

#5 vmk

vmk

• 187 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:04

If Button is a 'curbstone' driver I wonder where he rates Piquet?

#6 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:05

[B]Hi all, these quotes are taken from an interview to Gazzetta dello Sport (sorry for the translation, if someone can do better, here's the link http://www.gazzetta..../briatore.shtml)

"It's like I come back in Italy after just a year, buy a newspaper and read about Reggina, Lecce, Bologna and Torino at the top of the Serie A and Inter, Juventus and Milan at the bottom"

I guess it's very hard for Flav to accept that 3 years in a row, Renault has produced a lemon.

#7 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:07

Originally posted by glorius&victorius
i am gettin tired of these whining team bosses.... flavio, mario...

you rarely hear Mario whining about something.

#8 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:08

From reading those comments all I can say is 'how'. How the hell did he get where he is today? Or has he always merely been an employee of Bernie.

It never ceases to amaze me the angle this guy has on the world of motor sport. If only Button had been able to stay at Renault to fight alongside Alonso. We will never know.

#9 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:09

and I can't imagine TV and fans interest in seeing a race when Button has 60 pts, Nakajima has 50 pts and another driver 80 pts: better listen it at the radio and watch anything else"

Who could be this 'another' driver?

#10 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:11

Hello Jarno Trulli ;)

#11 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:11

Originally posted by primer

You can't be serious. :confused:
The man was just shooting from the hip.

#12 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:12

Originally posted by vmk
If Button is a 'curbstone' driver I wonder where he rates Piquet?

and where was Button in 2001, his second season in F1?

#13 drionita

drionita

• 221 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:12

Originally posted by primer

Nelsinho (...well, Flav's worst nightmare)

#14 BugTomek

BugTomek

• 119 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:14

:up: keep it comin' Flav, it's funny as hell! :cool: we need more of those flavisms!

#15 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:16

He acting like the average BB poster would. :)

#16 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,814 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:17

This is the same guy who said QPR would be in the Champions League within 4 years of him getting on board?

At least Honda invested a lot of money into this season.

#17 vmk

vmk

• 187 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:35

Originally posted by BMW_F1

and where was Button in 2001, his second season in F1?

at the back of the grid with the rest of Benetton

#18 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,661 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 18:54

its like its not gonna be about soap opera drivers or team bosses, but like you know, racing and dicing on the track and overtaking and entertainment, not like politics and machinations, there was some italian chap who'd been hoping for such a situation for the last few years, anyone remember his name?

#19 Pikku Pakkanen

Pikku Pakkanen

• 732 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 19:02

Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 19:06

Originally posted by Atreiu
He acting like the average BB poster would. :)

Yeah, it's great to see! :lol:

#21 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 19:20

Flav is talking a whole lot of sense. But I don't expect Brawn-bandwagon-jumpers to notice that.

#22 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 19:38

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Posted Image :eek:

#23 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,661 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 19:48

Originally posted by rolf123
Flav is talking a whole lot of sense. But I don't expect Brawn-bandwagon-jumpers to notice that.

i think everyone realises its a whole load of sense, but everyone bar you recognise of what type. and that type is non.

or possibly nonce

#24 pUs

pUs

• 2,965 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 20:05

Well, Flavio is being his usual old self.

However, if you skip away most of the exaggerations, he actually has some good points.

#25 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 20:38

Originally posted by pUs
Well, Flavio is being his usual old self.

However, if you skip away most of the exaggerations, he actually has some good points.

Like what???

Are Ferrari, McLaren or Renault predisposed to always be at the front? It's plain arrogance.

As I said before, Renault has produced a lemon three years in a row...Flavio'd better be honest about his teams true standing in the pecking order, rather than lashing out at others.

#26 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 20:47

mkay, was that necessary, did we need to see that ): :lol:

If Flavio hadn't been crying in Sepang we would have got a full race.

#27 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 20:53

It's Flav's new pitside outfit. A bitter pill all this difuser business.

#28 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 21:16

Flavio is saying it as it is and I agree 100%

#29 pedrovski

pedrovski

• 576 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 21:31

Funny thing is I actually agree with flavio on this. :eek: I've changed my mind.

These two Button and Barrichello have "won the lottery" and don't really deserve it. The season's over already it's gonna be like 1992 again.

#30 vmk

vmk

• 187 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 22:50

Won the lottery of building a better car than the competition

#31 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 22:54

Every sport needs a Flav, cheap entertainment :cat:

#32 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 1,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 23:05

Originally posted by pedrovski
These two Button and Barrichello have "won the lottery" and don't really deserve it. The season's over already it's gonna be like 1992 again.

And so, what?

MS won the lottery (two times, at least!), as Mansell did, as Senna and Prost did in 1988-89, and so on.

#33 Jones Foyer

Jones Foyer

• 955 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 00:01

Yo Flav, 'curbstone' drove for you, remember?

#34 J2NH

J2NH

• 1,937 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 00:25

mkay.
Do not EVER post that picture again without warnings.

#35 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:11

Cry me a river, Flavio...

#36 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:14

Flav is like the Boris Johnston of F1 only more bumbling :D

#37 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,352 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:23

I can tell him now that Nakajima won't score 50 points this year!

Looks like Flav is under a lot of pressure. No escaping the fact that his team are still a long way short of other non trick diffuser teams, even with Alonso.

#38 giltkid

giltkid

• 234 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:13

Originally posted by Little Leaf

Looks like Flav is under a lot of pressure. No escaping the fact that his team are still a long way short of other non trick diffuser teams, even with Alonso.

Yes - can you imagine the phone calls Flav, Domenicali and Theissen must have had with their bosses from Renault, Fiat and BMW wanting to know how and why they've so badly ballsed things up this year (and failed to read the rules properly). No wonder Flav's in a bad mood.

#39 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,950 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:14

Well, this is an interesting quote. Because in 1984-5 Serie A, for the first time, allocated referees to matches by a random draw, rather than appointment by committee, and Hellas Verona won the title, ahead of Torino, Inter and Sampdoria. Not an expected top 4.

The next season they went back to the old system and have retained it ever since; the likes of Verona and Torino have not been close since. Of course the Calciopoli scandal revealed that many teams were able to buy their own favoured officials to cover their matches.

So is Flavio Flav basically saying that one way to increase competition is to make things fair? It's interesting because this year is the first time in ages that the FIA seem a bit dischuffed with Ferrari.

Advertisement

#40 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,025 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:20

Originally posted by Little Leaf
I can tell him now that Nakajima won't score 50 points this year!

Not even 20 points

#41 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:06

Translated Q&A with Briatore:

Q: The verdict is there: Ross Brawn was right.
Briatore: ''What was he right about ? The diffuser issue ? Imagine if someone would leave the earth for a year and comes back to find out that Reggina, Lecce, Bologna and Torino are at the top of the Serie A table while Milan, Juventus and Inter are fighting against relegation. In this same way a Formula 1 fan finds out that the championship can be won by someone that was (already) retired (Barrichello - AFCA), one that is as slow as a milepost (Button), Rosberg, Click, or perhaps Clock (Glock - AFCA), Naca...Naca...what's he called ? I don't even know...

Q: ...Nakajima. But your ungenerous towards Button.
Briatore: ''He's a good guy for heaven's sake. He's not someone that causes trouble, he's not 'dirty'.''

Q: Are you still prepared to help Brawn GP financially ?
Briatore: ''I'm not. Actually, at the next FOTA meeting I will propose that each team will keep the money that it intended to give Brawn GP. The FIA has proven Brawn GP right and we, for once will say the FIA is right: Brawn GP is a new team. It will have to do the same as us when we entered (F1). Brawn is richer than I am, than all of us.''

Q: Do you mean that Brawn GP has more money than the big teams ?
Briatore: ''He bought the team for € 1 and on top of that he has received € 130 million from Honda as if it were a newlywed getting money from her parents. € 100 million in cash, € 30 was the famous bonus we (the teams) were willing to pass on to them. Fortunately we haven't yet done so ! I will propose to keep that money: I have to spend a lot of it in order for Renault not to remain one second adrift of Brawn GP. The difference now is that I know where to get the money from !''

Q: Apart from coming up with a double-decker diffuser, what has Brawn done that makes you so angry ?
Briatore: ''He hasn't been transparent as the technical head of the FOTA, he knew (about the diffusers) but didn't say it. Ah, I will propose others to have that role, I no longer feel represented by him. In fact, it's better to put the first Chinese bloke that comes round the corner in that position. Also, Brawn has behaved in a very bad way, attacking everyone one-on-one in front of the Court of Appeal, and in a rude way towards Byrne. Without Byrne, Brawn('s career) wouldn't even exist, I know this very well because both of them worked at Benetton. Byrne is a loyal and honest person, Brawn shamelessly attacked him, and he's done the same thing towards the others. So, he's a genius and all the others are idiots ?''

Q: So could this ruin the unity with the FOTA ?
Briatore: ''Why ? The FOTA approve (on matters) with a majority of 70% of the votes, thank god we don't always have to agree all ten of us. There are some bandits in the sport, it's no longer possible to be monolithic on every issue.''

Q: Parr has accused Ferrari and McLaren of having won titles with illegal cars.
Briatore: ''And for these words someone, the FIA itself, could charge him. Parr is an idiot.''

Q: He's got a role within the FOTA.
Briatore: ''Yes, it's being a pain in the arse.''

Q: Getting back to the verdict: was it really a technical one, or was it political ?
Briatore: ''One of the judges (De Marco from Malta) has fallen to sleep, or he's simply no good, or he knew on forehand what the outcome was going to be. The others were ready to fly out at the airport: after an eight-hour hearing they came up with the verdict in one hour. I don't want to think that there has been the intention to manipulate the result of the championship. If it were like that then that would be very grave, but I repeat: I don't even want to think about it.''

Q: Is the FIA to blame ?
Briatore: ''Very much so, because this entire row should have been dealt with earlier. There are technical people whose homework it is to prevent problems.''

Q: Would it be necessary to put someone alongside Charlie Whiting ?
Briatore: ''The FOTA has put forward Brawn as his technical counterpart: look at what a great technical package he came up with.''

Q: Do you step out of this chaos with at least one certainty ?
Briatore: ''Yes, if you fall down a manhole then it's not a 'hole' but an 'opening'.''

#42 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:14

Great translation.

Good grief, I had to stop myself reading half way through. This is like a car crash. Not pretty at all. Not good for F1.

Wasn't it initially Ferrari and Renault Parr mentioned regarding the use of vertical transitions though.

#43 tahadar

tahadar

• 499 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:15

Originally posted by AFCA
Translated Q&A with Briatore:

Q: Do you step out of this chaos with at least one certainty ?
Briatore: ''Yes, if you fall down a manhole then it's not a 'hole' but an 'opening'.''

haha!!

#44 BiH

BiH

• 2,460 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:15

thanks AFCA

hillarious comments :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

too bad FIA couldn't have in fridays press conference flavio, brawn, parr this is some hilarious stuff would make good television.

#45 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:16

Thanks AFCA :up:

Highly amusing :lol: . Flav has totally lost it.

#46 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,771 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:21

Funny thing is I actually agree with flavio on this. :eek: I've changed my mind.

Christ the intelligence of some people jusy farken staggers me.

What on EARTH has Kimi or Massa done in mid budget teams like Sauber that Button didn't do in a mid range team?

Apart from Alonso and Hamilton is there any other driver that has really, really done amazing things? Alonso dragged the Renault up the grid last year and was special int he Minardi and hamilton took to F1 like a duck to water but none of the other 20 have displayed anything more than their car has allowed them to.

Honestly, who gives a rats ar5e about Kimi or Massa ahead of a Button or a Trulli.

It has always been about the car, i am staggered at the number of you that have been unable to see that over the past 20 years, you must blind or outright stupid.

#47 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:26

Originally posted by AFCA
the championship can be won by someone that was (already) retired (Barrichello - AFCA), one that is as slow as a milepost (Button), Rosberg, Click, or perhaps Clock (Glock - AFCA), Naca...Naca...what's he called ? I don't even know...

:lol:

#48 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:28

And now could somebody please re-post the picture of Flavio in those special briefs with his pussy showing just to place that interview in it's correct context.

#49 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,647 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:29

If they have won the lottery, it's because they bought a lot of lottery tickets in the last two years.

#50 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:29

Awesome interview. Bile can be so creative - that last comment is genius.