• 6,358 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 22:53

I guess we need a new thread then :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#2 dutra

dutra

• 1,054 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 23:09

lets hope that this one will be about indycar...

#3 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,334 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 23:13

Lets try to be more civilised eh ? The end of the last thread was a minefield.

#4 LB

LB

• 12,544 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 23:30

There is no way it will happen Statler and Waldorf are hell bent on bringing up the split, Tony George, the good old days. All it will take is one comment and the slippers will be off, pipe set aside and the arthritis forgotten about as the keyboard explodes in a pile of vitriol.

Buford: We know you don't like IRL and Tony George, however its all we have so can we please watch our sport in peace without being reminded constantly what a tosser the owner is. Trust me, we already know.

Keir: We know you think Buford is a pompous ass, and that he is a one trick pony when it comes to the IRL. There is no need to go into all out war with him. We know your views now.

Oh and yes I know I'm not a mod, or particularily relevent to anything but I believe I speak for the majority when I say will the pair of you please STFU (© Ricardo)

One of the better things about RC are the non F1 threads can we please keep them that way?

Right with that said lets talk about racing. How does everyone think Long Beach will pan out?

#5 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,104 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 23:43

Turn one, lap one will be interesting.

What is an IRL fans over/under of cars out by the end of the first corner? I think 2 cars minimum (one is guaranteed to be Danica, the other seems to have Mike Conway's name on it).

#6 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 00:26

I'll be curious to see if street races remain something of an equalizer, where a Wilson or a Hunter-Reay can show well. Power runs well on street circuits, Briscoe is reaching the point where unforced errors are rare, and you'd expect Kanaan, Franchitti, and Dixon to show well here.

#7 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:41

Oops - wrong door :cool:

#8 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:57

Robin Miller's Long Beach preview:

http://auto-racing.s...-beach-preview/

#9 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,161 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 13:58

From the L.A. Times: http://www.latimes.c...0,3874636.story

Brian

#10 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 14:21

A perspective I am more inclined to side with... http://www.presstele...ci_12153326#end

Downside to all these street races is that the fugly Dallara (which looks slow as hell on road courses), looks even slower on street courses. And looks aren't just the end of it. They are just plain down on power when compared to anything there. I would not be surprised if an Atlantics car would have no problem stuffing one of these bulky machines.

*No attack on a member
*No attack on the series
*No attack on the owner
*No attack on the driver

Posted Image

I may have hurt the Dallaras feelings however.

#11 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 14:25

The car aesthetics aren't that that big a concern in the grand scheme of things, nor are they that slow.

#12 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 14:33

Ross - they look terribly slow compared to CC/CART and F1. We also know they are at least 200 HP less then CC. Figure in the sound - and the looks (which by the way YOU brought up - I was discussing power), and you have a huge - noticable difference that everyone will notice.

If you cannot see that - clearly on the track then perhaps you are delusional.

#13 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 14:35

Power mentioned a 4 sec diffrence to Champ Car, but I hope the new car is coming soon, I can't wait! It must be at least 5 s better on road courses, even though it's meant to be low-tech. At least a monster engine would do ;)

#14 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 14:44

Sorry - if they are on the same circuit that is simply impossible based on the HP and platform altogether. Remember we saw ALMS lapping within 1-2 seconds of the IRL on similar tracks in 2007 and 2008.

Does anyone know if the layout has changed?

#15 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,104 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 14:55

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
The car aesthetics aren't that that big a concern in the grand scheme of things, nor are they that slow.

At Edmonton last year the Atlantics could easily qualify higher than a good section of the field.

#16 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 15:00

Err no, pole to pole is like 5 seconds, and the pole-sitter for Atlantics was lucky to be within 2.5 seconds of the back of the IRL grid.

#17 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 15:05

The weekend schedule:

http://www.indycar.c...ch_schedule.pdf

It appears that back east we'll have some numbers to attach to this discussion early this afternoon. Although, as I recall, the Indy cars race the Indy cars . . .

As a person who is interested in the series and who has attended events at the road courses, the cars seem plenty quick to me.

#18 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 15:06

Guess I'm the only one who likes the aesthetics of the Dallara, although I agree it's a tank.

#19 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 15:25

Tbh, I liked the Dallara in it's pre-2002 nose configuration, than the post/actual nose configuration.

If it wasn't for that shitty nose, it'd be a very nice looking car, despite the bulky body.

http://www.autoracin...na/Hornish1.jpg

http://www.tmsfan.co...g/rw-sept02.jpg

Seriously, how can you compare that nose with that shitface they have nowadays?

Advertisement

#20 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 15:41

Originally posted by Slyder
Tbh, I liked the Dallara in it's pre-2002 nose configuration, than the post/actual nose configuration.

If it wasn't for that shitty nose, it'd be a very nice looking car, despite the bulky body.

http://www.autoracin...na/Hornish1.jpg

http://www.tmsfan.co...g/rw-sept02.jpg

Seriously, how can you compare that nose with that shitface they have nowadays?

That is my main contention as well.... Ross - thanks for bringing in such an inherent point of topic :

#21 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 15:50

inherent? :

#22 sblick

sblick

• 479 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:00

My guess is three cars out and one being a Penske. Hoping Justin shows up with Coyne and does another stellar drive. Heres to Graham waxing Marco again

#23 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,161 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:03

Link to live coverage from Long Beach. Currently ALMS on track:

http://indycar.neuli...ndy/console.jsp

Brian

#24 Keir

Keir

• 5,221 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:11

HaydenFan,

Just as a point of discussion, if Danica does not go off at the first turn of the first lap as you guarantee, will you swear to never post anything about her negative or positive as long as you live ???

#25 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,272 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 17:05

Originally posted by aportinga
*No attack on a member
*No attack on the series
*No attack on the owner
*No attack on the driver

Whatever....

All aboard the Titanic..
Jp

#26 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 17:16

Looks like you jumped on board as well and thereby helped the ship to sink a bit sooner :rolleyes:

You could have...

A) Commented on practice
B) Commented on some of the rumours this weekend
C) Discussed what the ratings may do relative to 2 weeks ago
D) Given your picks for the race
E) Commented on the chassis (already being discussed - politely)

But you gave us this???

What a load :down:

#27 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 17:17

Word is that Paul Tracy is about to be announced for something or other?

Lets hope it's more then just 2 Canadian races and the 500.

#28 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,570 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 17:23

They do look SLOW on TV and ugly as sin. Why not use the new shape Champcars instead? They at least look mean.

#29 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,272 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 17:23

Looks like you jumped on board as well and thereby helped the ship to sink a bit sooner :rolleyes:

You knew I meant this thread and it's destination. But HAD to play your trump card didn't cha?
Nice edit too...
Like I said...Whatever

PS. The quality of the neullion stream is excelent.
Good thing too as I am in Zurich tonight where motor racing is againt the law.

Jp

#30 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 17:32

Trump Card - I don't control what you post :rolleyes:

As far as I am concerned your posts and mine in the exchange should be removed altogether - I was at least trying to behave.

#31 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 17:42

Originally posted by Alfisti
They do look SLOW on TV and ugly as sin. Why not use the new shape Champcars instead? They at least look mean.

Would the DP01's have to be modified for Oval racing though?

And I guess the Dallara deal is pretty watertight.

#32 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:06

I am impressed by the quality of the streaming once they got the sound fixed.

#33 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:09

The DP01's did require modification - existing though and no different then the sort of in house modification that the Dallaras go through today.

I *think* that TG has set up Honda and especially Dallara with an exclusivity deal which seems to be long term - sadly.

Fred Nation posts at another BB and often states that they are trying to get the CART/ChampCar fans on board with changes. He - like all other management seem unable to get through their heads that all it takes is to open the chassis and engine regs a bit. It may cost the series more to manage but it would definately lower the cost to the teams and increase the ability for all to compete.

#34 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:11

Originally posted by Buford
I am impressed by the quality of the streaming once they got the sound fixed.

OOOO - You watched! :eek:

If I clicked on that link Gordon Ramsey's twin would be over here from IT asking me why bandwidth has spiked.

#35 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:17

OOOO - You watched! :eek:

If I clicked on that link Gordon Ramsey's twin would be over here from IT asking me why bandwidth has spiked.

I always watch on TV I just don't put any money in the Sperm Weasels pocket. And no watching on TV does not raise the ratings. Not as long as you are not a Neisen family. The week I was a year ago and had a booklet to fill out I made sure not to watch IRL because i represented 11,000 homes. They are saying Helio was acquitted.

#36 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:24

Looks like HCN has been aquitted... Wondering if he's on a plane to Long Beach yet and whether or not Penske has another car for him.

It will be a huge disapointment to let Power go IMO.

#37 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:25

The week I was a year ago and had a booklet to fill out I made sure not to watch IRL because i represented 11,000 homes.

What?

#38 LB

LB

• 12,544 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:33

Def looks like Acquittal for Helio!

Nice seeing Dario top the first session :D

#39 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:33

What?

In the summer of 2007 I had a Nielsen book for a week. I was a Nielsen ratings family. They called me up randomly and asked if i wanted to do it and after the fact they paid me $2. I represented 11,000 homes in Las Vegas. If I had put down I watched the IRL during the week I was being rated, it would have recorded 11,000 homes were viewing the IRL in Las Vegas. So I made sure not to watch so as not to increase IRL ratings that week. That is how the ratings work. Everybody who is electronically hooked up, or who fills out a rating book has a measurable effect on ratings, at least for the local stations in their areas. If you are not filling out a ratings book, or have your set hooked up to their electronic setup, what you watch has no effect on ratings at all. It is a popular Lemming fallacy when they say thanks for watching and helping the ratings. It has no effect on ratings at all if you watch unless you are being rated by the Nielsen ratings.

Advertisement

#40 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:39

I never knew that 1=11,000.

WTF?

#41 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,090 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:41

Heli not guilty!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shit, best news in last couple of months.... :up:

#42 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:42

I never knew that 1=11,000. WTF?

I think it varies. Depends on how many ratings houses they have in any given area on any given week. They told me I represented 11,000 homes. For a national telecast that is insignificant, but for something like local news and local advertising rates 11,000 homes is significant.

#43 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,570 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:46

You're not as important as you think as we weight the data ;)

#44 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:49

'Will Power took fourth in the second Penske car, but the main news for Roger Penske's team was that while practice was underway Helio Castroneves was found not legal by the jury in his tax evasion trial in Miami'

Well, at least we know Helio himself is legal now (dread to think what part of him could be declared illegal)

#45 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:54

You're not as important as you think as we weight the data ;)

Don't know how the TV ratings work in other countries but in the USA no single Nielsen family can have much effect on a national rating, though with only 233,000 watching the IRL that is so minuscule another 11,000 would show a difference. But as i said, for local stations, 11,000 more homes watching one of their shows can have a real effect on their ad rates they can charge.

#46 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 18:59

I guess we have proof then, only 23 people watch the IRL ;)

#47 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 19:01

Yeah somewhere between 20 and 30 created that rating. Its the same with any opinion poll. In the entire USA they only survey about 1200 people. So when they say 60% approval rating for a politician that means 700 of of 1200 surveyed people like him, or whatever. Statisticians say this is accurate enough to interpolate to the entire USA. I don't know.

#48 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,570 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 19:01

Don't know how the TV ratings work in other countries but in the USA no single Nielsen family can have much effect on a national rating, though with only 233,000 watching the IRL that is so minuscule another 11,000 would show a difference. But as i said, for local stations, 11,000 more homes watching one of their shows can have a real effect on their ad rates they can charge.

No, it doesn't work like that. I used to work for Neilsen's (and still in the industry now) and most of the grunt work is done by the egg heads in the data department to weight the data in such a way that you don't get these crazy skews for low share channels.

#49 MattPete

MattPete

• 1,449 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 19:02

Have they changed the track? The IRL cars are 5 seconds slower than the Champ Cars were last year.

#50 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 19:05

No, it doesn't work like that. I used to work for Neilsen's (and still in the industry now) and most of the grunt work is done by the egg heads in the data department to weight the data in such a way that you don't get these crazy skews for low share channels.

Ah OK. Do you know how many homes a single Neilsen family represents? Does it vary?