Photo

Names from the past

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:58

In 4 months time it will be 50 years since Bill de Selincourt won the Grand Prix de Cadours. In June Bill will be 88, he would like to revisit the circuit on the anniversary of his win.
I am looking for contact details for any competitors still with us, some, sadly are gone. Bandini and Mitter among them. Some are still alve & kicking, Michael May and Henri Grandsire to name two.The list can be found on http://www.formula2.net/FJ59_31.htm if you would be kind enough to look thro' and let me have details of anybody you have knowledge of (including May & Grandsire)I would be very grateful.

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 13:24

Good luck, Sharman
Can't help, I'm afraid, except to say for the benefit of others that the link works better without the comma...

#3 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 15:00

Tbank you David. Driver error. Comma removed.

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 15:49

John, good to see you back on "board". I trust all is now settled at your end.
Roger

#5 gilbylt3

gilbylt3

• 11 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 16:14

I send a post on AUTODIVA FORUM

#6 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 19:47

One certain fact is that Cadours has changed not one jot!

Except that the bridge near the start has gone.

#7 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 20:10

Can't help with a contact on any of the drivers, but Renato Pirocchi, Bino Heins and Paul Armagnac are all deceased for sure. Good luck with this nice project :up: .

#8 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 21:50

I also hope Bill enjoys revisiting Cadours. He must've been amongst the oldest F Junior winners I would've thought ?

At some point I'll digitalise the in car lap of Cadours I filmed 6 years ago & put it on the web so that others can appreciate what a cracking circuit this was :up:

John, As a suggestion, it might be a good idea to be a bit more specific in the title of this thread as to your request as I think more people may pick up on it if using Google or somesuch.

cheers

Chris

#9 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:03

L'il Chris
Bill was 38 when he won at Cadours and was indeed one of the "elder statesmen".
We (he and I plus my better half and Bill's daughter Jennifer) had lunch there last year and did a couple of laps. The circuit has not changed much, the surface is better and the sight lines have been cleared.
The reason for the low key approach is that Jennifer and I would like to surprise Bill with a turnout, I'm looking for one of the Elvas as well but as it was a very early car (one of the first 7 and strengthened after its chassis breakages at the 'Ring) no chassis numbers exist.
Barry
The bridge was never a permanent fixture and was mounted on iron wheels. The circuit organisers are trying to get it repaired as it suffered a partial collapse causing a (I believe) a fatality on the occasion of the 50th celebration of the first race.

John

#10 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 15:32

The bridge was never a permanent fixture and was mounted on iron wheels. The circuit organisers are trying to get it repaired as it suffered a partial collapse causing a (I believe) a fatality on the occasion of the 50th celebration of the first race.

John

John, do you know when happened this fatal accident? Have you any other detail?

#11 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:37

Nanni
It was me misremembering, the thing on iron wheels was the "grandstand" which used to be wheeled into position when required. That disappeared sometime ago, whence I know not. The "passarelle" was hit by a truck I understand, I'll get the details for you.
You will be pleased to know that we actually had a great day, Paul Dixon loaned us an Elva 100 that Bill had driven and Tony Goodwin very kindly traipsed down to Cadours with it (Tony drove a Chevron B23 for Bill when he ran Ember Racing) and we were allowed several laps of the circuit (not closed roads, can you imagine the shrieks of protest if anybody did that in the UK) along with a selection of local race cars icluding a front engined Le Mans Simca 1300 and a very early Cooper 500. Thereafter there was a speech of welcome and Bill was presented with a Memento of the Win and a Laurel Wreath whilst the "Queen" was played. That caused Bill and I a certain amount of amusement as in 1959 there was no thought in the organiser's minds of a British win and there was a deal of headless chickening whilst they tried(unsuccessfully) to locate a record of the anthem, even asking us if by chance we had one. We were then treated to "aperatif" on the rates and we all went off for lunch.
Bill was very appreciative of and visibly moved by the return to the circuit 50 years after his win.
I did not manage to trace any other driver save Joe Baggio who sent a nice card and best wishes
Thanks to every body who made helpful suggestions, I would post some photos if I knew how.
John

Edited by Sharman, 20 September 2009 - 09:39.