Marshalling memories

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 NanningF1fan

NanningF1fan

• 61 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:46

Hi everyone

I have just discovered this forum whilst browsing the internet in China where I now live. The wonders of modern technology! The photoes bring back so many memories! Unfortunately I don't have any photos to contribute because I was marshalling nearly every weekend during the season from 1982 until the end of 2003 and marshals weren't allowed cameras whilst on duty.

Marshals feature in many of the pictures and a lot of faces and incidents I recognise. I am sure that we have many memories in common. So maybe we can open up a new angle on the great days of club racing.

I have marshalled at every circuit in England that was active during the period 1982-2003 except Aintree and also went to Pembrey a couiple of times. But most of my time was spent at Mallory Park (my favourite), Donington and Silverstone. I have done every post on these circuits many times but my favourites were the hairpin at Mallory, Brooklands Centre on the Silverstone Club Circuit and the Old Hairpin at Donington. A day spent on any of these almost guaranteed some action. So did certain drivers. I always checked the programme before practice in the morning for anyone on my mental blacklist which included the likes of the Eccleston brothers frequently mentioned on these pages. Another pair of brothers who always seemed to be involved in some kind of incident were the McInernery Brothers who raced in the first incarnation of the Ford Fiesta Championship in the early 80s. I think the spelling of their surname is right but I sold all my old programmes and books before emigrating to China in 2004 so can't check. Does anyone remember them? Certain championships always seemed to keep the marshals busy. The TVR Tuscan Championship and various Caterham series as well as 750 MC Stock hatches and Hot Hatches spring to mind. Does anyone have any photoes or memories of these series?