18 replies to this topic

#1 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 18:14

Posted Image

Posted Image
By giraffe138

I'm an admirer of Ferraris but far from an expert in identifing them. I spotted this one a few years ago in the window of the Rolls Royce dealer in Knutsford, Cheshire. I think it's a 250TR and I recall it had some Scottish provenance with a Saltire badge on the side, and tartan seats! Doubtless someone will identify it and it's owner on TNF in a flash?!?!

Advertisement

#2 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,531 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 18:30

Was it the replica which was built up for Innes Ireland? It looks like the same body style of TR
Roger Lund

#3 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 19:09

I figured the reg.number would give someone a clue? I would have remembered if it had been declared a replica on the info plaque, I'm sure.

#4 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 542 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 19:21

I don't think the TR59 factory-built cars had left hand drive. Pretty sure it's a replica.

#5 RStock

RStock

• 1,313 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 19:35

Looks like a 1960 model . But , I'm sure I'm wrong .

Posted Image

#6 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,531 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 22:00

Innes Ireland with TR replica at Coys 1992 event. LHD. See Saltire below Prancing Horse
Posted Image
Photo copyright Roger Lund

#7 Cris

Cris

• 160 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 23:59

Recreation of a Fantuzzi-bodied TR-59. LHD and a few other details are dead giveaways.

#8 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,190 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:22

Is this the one?

http://www.classicdr...2&dealerid=1337

Vince H.

#9 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:22

Thankyou gentlemen; once again demonstrating the power of TNF! (Although this was a relatively easy one by TNF standards!). :clap:

#10 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:15

this car seems to have been on permanent sale for about 3-4 years with only the dealer changing! This is clearly shows that even the best of replica's are at best an indulgent whim... Imagine having £250k tied up in a car that neither you nor seemingly anyone else wants to own for so long - especially when any proper race car of that value over that time frame would have shown a very different return! The owner must be gutted!

#11 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:32

Originally posted by simon drabble
this car seems to have been on permanent sale for about 3-4 years with only the dealer changing! This is clearly shows that even the best of replica's are at best an indulgent whim... Imagine having £250k tied up in a car that neither you nor seemingly anyone else wants to own for so long - especially when any proper race car of that value over that time frame would have shown a very different return! The owner must be gutted!

Well, it all depends how much he paid for it, or how he acquired it. Was Innes Ireland still the owner at his death? If he left it to somebody, then value would not really be an issue?
What amazes me is why someone like Ireland of all people would want to have a replica built at all?!?!
I could understand why Chris Rea built a replica sharknose as it was for use in his film "La Passione" (which the critics amusingly dubbed "DireRea!") :lol:
I asked Chris what he did with the car, and he told me he sold it to some nutcase in Holland and got his money back, so that made sense. (I say nutcase, because Chris told me that he liked it so much, he commissioned another, a replica of a replica, so now all the chap needs is a period transporter, a grey rinse and a pair of dodgy sunglasses! (Oh, and a long face!) ;)

#12 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 519 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:13

Originally posted by Giraffe
I figured the reg.number would give someone a clue? I would have remembered if it had been declared a replica on the info plaque, I'm sure.

What makes you think that info plaques are correct; let alone tell you whether cars are replica's or not?

#13 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,531 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:16

[i]Originally posted by Giraffe
Well, it all depends how much he paid for it, or how he acquired it. Was Innes Ireland still the owner at his death? ..What amazes me is why someone like Ireland of all people would want to have a replica built at all?!?!
..Chris Rea built a replica sharknose ...he told me he sold it to some nutcase in Holland and got his money back[/B]

AFAIK Innes owned the car at his death so it was part of his estate. Why should he or anyone else not have a suitable replica of something which they like? There are some exquisite California Spiders about. It is not all look-a-like Lightweight E Types. In view of the modern take on hisoric racing, where does restoration end and facsimile start?. ISTR that Innes' car went through auction a couple of years after his demise, struggling to get over £50k.

Talking of replicas, I heard at the weekend that there were 2 replica Pourtout/Embiricos Bentleys at the Essen show recently. Any information on those?
Roger Lund

#14 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:27

Originally posted by Giraffe

Well, it all depends how much he paid for it, or how he acquired it. Was Innes Ireland still the owner at his death? If he left it to somebody, then value would not really be an issue?
What amazes me is why someone like Ireland of all people would want to have a replica built at all?!?!
I could understand why Chris Rea built a replica sharknose as it was for use in his film "La Passione" (which the critics amusingly dubbed "DireRea!") :lol:
I asked Chris what he did with the car, and he told me he sold it to some nutcase in Holland and got his money back, so that made sense. (I say nutcase, because Chris told me that he liked it so much, he commissioned another, a replica of a replica, so now all the chap needs is a period transporter, a grey rinse and a pair of dodgy sunglasses! (Oh, and a long face!) ;)

didn't like it that much as it was in an auction the other day! I have to say that whilst this car at £250k doesn't seem to be finding much traction the Chris Rea car was very reasonably priced circa £50k which I thoought represented fair value

#15 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,956 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:32

Originally posted by Red Socks

What makes you think that info plaques are correct; let alone tell you whether cars are replica's or not?

Of course, I'm as big a mug as you will meet! : It was the ridiculous pricetag that was on it at the time that made me think that it couldn't possibly be a replica, and in a major RR dealer's window: clever marketing indeed! :blush: :eek:

#16 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:34

you would have an additional two 00's for a real one- 250 K wouldn't be close.

#17 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,651 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:09

I too saw the Ireland car at Silverstone in 1992 or thereabouts and as others have noted being a left hooker it was obviously a 'replica'.

From memory and also from its obviously oversize dimensions I think this car was based on an old 330GT or similar, but somebody better informed will know its true origins.

#18 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,399 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 15:13

Originally posted by bradbury west
In view of the modern take on hisoric racing, where does restoration end and facsimile start?.

Oh no, Roger, let's not go down this road again! :|
Tom

#19 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,531 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 15:52

Originally posted by RA Historian
Oh no, Roger, let's not go down this road again! :|
Tom

Sorry, Tom, couldn't resist. Dismounts from hobby horse.......
RL