Photo

The new-look forum is here!

• Please log in to reply
587 replies to this topic

#51 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:15

I've seen many forums change from the previous PHP format to one similar to this. I *believe* the chief motives are improved security (i.e. less likely to be breached by malicious robots / hackers etc) and SEO (not that TNF's SEO has ever been lacking - it usually figures in the first few Google hits when you search a historical racing topic).

My chief concerns would be the illegibility of previous threads (this has happened at every forum I've seen change software - unfortunately, it's likely to take a long time, involving manual input from moderators, to get back to the previous quality of intelligibility), and the short time you can edit a post. I've seen edit 'lock outs' at other forums, and - not only does it profoundly impede someone working on a database thread - it's a great way to provoke arguments; a poster is unable to edit a thread, and is faced with either posting a message and completely rescinding what they said (rare), or (more common) they do nothing and flaming ensues... I doubt TNF will have too much flaming, but the edit post feature will certainly raise the temperature at other groups devoted to more high-tech car racing...

I do hope Barry isn't serious :-(

Justin

Advertisement

#52 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:18

But add my name to those with concerns about inability to edit ....[

.....And me .

#53 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,484 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:26

:wave:

Edited by WHITE, 30 April 2009 - 10:27.

#54 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:27

Is it just me, or has the edit button just miraculously reappeared everywhere ??

#55 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,484 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:29

Is it just me, or has the edit button just miraculously reappeared everywhere ??

That is what it seems !

I have just edited my previous post.

Edited by WHITE, 30 April 2009 - 10:30.

#56 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,713 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:32

I may be joining Barry.
I just don't like the feel of the place. :|

#57 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:33

I've just clicked on the "quote" to request a -quote (negative) and it still quoted! Am I thick or what? (Don't answer that bit)

Edited by Giraffe, 30 April 2009 - 10:34.

#58 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,059 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:38

I'm posting from work.

First Observation: Recently when accessing from work, strings have been slow to open and using the "Last Unread post" or "Last post" buttons reduced the speed to snail's pace. Now things open up nice and fast.

I'll have to learn the new functionality - for example using "Fast reply" means you don't quote the previous post.

#59 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,621 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:41

It told me trhat my last visit was at 10:27 AM , even allowing for time differences between UK and France, at that time the computer was not ven turned on. Is this something to do with the new government dea of reading all emails and surfing trips?

Advertisement

#60 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,284 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:44

Not just you. And I just checked a post of mine from last December - it's there too.

Another quibble - although the "Who posted" link still works when you click on the number of posts in a thread on the index page, once the pop-up comes up, there is no longer a link from the number of posts next to the name - it's a feature I often use to reactivate old discussions.

#61 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,284 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:46

It told me trhat my last visit was at 10:27 AM , even allowing for time differences between UK and France, at that time the computer was not ven turned on. Is this something to do with the new government dea of reading all emails and surfing trips?

I think it's more something to do with you not having altered the forum time in your profile to Summer Time :p

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=108001

Edited by Vitesse2, 30 April 2009 - 10:48.

#62 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:49

One thing is for sure, TNF's personality has changed, and I'm not sure for the better........ :confused:

#63 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,470 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:54

What is a fast reply............. exactly; and in what way is it different from the other 2 methods of replying?

#64 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,470 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:55

What is a fast reply............. exactly; and in what way is it different from the other 2 methods of replying?

That was no faster than this................................

#65 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,437 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:01

One slightly annoying feature about the 'Go to first unread post' button is that it doesn't always automatically cancel after you've used it, as the old version used to do. This means that unless you manually refresh the threads page, it goes on telling you there are posts in a thread that you haven't read, when you have.

#66 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,733 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:06

You can't include quotes in a fast reply - don't ask me why but that seems to be the only difference I can spot.

:wave:

#67 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,284 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:06

One slightly annoying feature about the 'Go to first unread post' button is that it doesn't always automatically cancel after you've used it, as the old version used to do. This means that unless you manually refresh the threads page, it goes on telling you there are posts in a thread that you haven't read, when you have.

Works okay for me Tim. You didn't use the "back" button on your browser, did you? ;)

Or it might be a general browser issue: I'm on FF 3.0.10. ;)

#68 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,957 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:08

Wow!!! looks just like a real cheap dodgy paint job you would get down some back-alley! :wave:

#69 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,284 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:09

Fast reply doesn't (initially) give as many editing options as "Reply" or "Add Reply".

#70 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:14

Might I suggest to those who have imposed these overnight changes that within the limitations of the new software they do their very best to make further changes to restore the legibility and the distinctive character of the layout of our favourite forum and above all the previous attractiveness.
( While you are at it you might like to do the same to the weekly paper magazine as well )

Rightly in my view , in the main, people are less than impressed with the aesthetic qualities of the work, the styling if you like , whilst welcoming more modern mechanicals under the bonnet..

Bit like a new Rolls Royce Phantom ....a tour de force of mechanical and electrical brilliance but shaped like a house brick devoid of grace or beauty in my view, which characterised a hundred years of exquisite style and heritage.

You can improve this.

#71 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:17

It won't let me edit the post I wrote an hour ago, so the 'edit lock' is still there. However, it will let me delete it... So, you can edit by cut-and-pasting the post, deleting the post, and then re-posting it.

I wonder how long the facility to delete remains? This could prove a PITA for those making database threads...

Justin

#72 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,549 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:18

Might I suggest to those who have imposed these overnight changes that within the limitations of the new software they do their very best to make further changes to restore the legibility and the distinctive character of the layout of our favourite forum and above all the previous attractiveness.
( While you are at it you might like to do the same to the weekly paper magazine as well )

Rightly in my view , in the main, people are less than impressed with the aesthetic qualities of the work, the styling if you like , whilst welcoming more modern mechanicals under the bonnet..

Bit like a new Rolls Royce Phantom ....a tour de force of mechanical and electrical brilliance but shaped like a house brick devoid of grace or beauty in my view, which characterised a hundred years of exquisite style and heritage.

You can improve this.

:up:

#73 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,437 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:19

You didn't use the "back" button on your browser, did you?;)

Errm, yes I did. :blush:

[sheepish mode] What should I be doing, please? [/sheepish mode]

#74 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:22

The very same point that I have just made, albeit somewhat more simplistically and less articulately on the "If you could turn back time" thread.

Bugger! Wrong quote! :rolleyes:

Edited by Giraffe, 30 April 2009 - 11:23.

#75 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:24

Fast reply doesn't (initially) give as many editing options as "Reply" or "Add Reply".

That's the one I meant to quote! Sheesh! :eek:

#76 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:25

Might I suggest...

As was linked-to in post #1 of this thread, comments and criticisms have been invited via the 'Contact Us' button and subsequent form.

Glad to see that all my predictions have come true regarding the overall TNF reaction the new format (which, rather obviously, is not unlike a new racing car which needs to be shaken-down before it races :rolleyes:)

#77 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

You can improve this.

Well said Richard - although I like the RR more than you do! I am relatively new to the World of Fora, and although I spend a deal of time here, I occasionaly check others, or follow a link, and always, 'til now, felt that the BB was a shining light of legibility and user-friendliness, if a little old-fashioned. Now it looks like all the others, bland, awkward, counter-intuative and boring. I bet your post appears here as a quote, even though I did not want it to - programmers, eh? One of the few classes of mortal, along with politicians, that can be relied on to take backward steps. Same thing has happened at my GP's surgery...no, no, I'll stop!

#78 barrykm

barrykm

• 432 posts

I do miss the details of when a thread was started, and by whom.

#79 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,284 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:26

A lot of the points made here are also being addressed in the Feedback Forum. Unlimited edit may not last long, but as I suspected, some of the niggles are due to the change in software supplier:

http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=3617711

Advertisement

#80 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:26

You can improve this.

Wrong end! No, I meant this one! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! :blush:

#81 markpde

markpde

• 522 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:39

Certainly prefered the old bold black quotes to this washy blue in a box format

I'm with you there - curiously, if you look at existing threads, posts before the 'makeover' (sorry) - i.e. before this morning - have the quotes in blue, but still in the old bold type. Probably means the software could be tweaked easily enough if we ask nicely - back to the old bold, and maybe even black?

Edited by markpde, 30 April 2009 - 11:40.

#82 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,284 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:51

I'm with you there - curiously, if you look at existing threads, posts before the 'makeover' (sorry) - i.e. before this morning - have the quotes in blue, but still in the old bold type. Probably means the software could be tweaked easily enough if we ask nicely - back to the old bold, and maybe even black?

Like that? Took me 5 seconds!

#83 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,199 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:53

Wow !!!

I've got an avatar !!!

I wasted an hour ages ago trying to do this, but gave up in the end. No trouble at all this time, so that's a MAJOR improvement.

On all the rest that's been raised in this thread, mostly moaning, I do agree with quite a lot of it, but give them time, Milton Keynes wasn't built in a day. The loss of the edit function is the biggest problem I can see, as long as edits are dated, I can't see any problem with that, and as there's a lot of important (to us) historical information assembled here, I think it's important that we should be able to make small corrections in the interests of accuracy, at least for a few hours afterwards, or when sober next morning. Another forum I sometimes go on allows edits, but only if you state the reason for any changes, 'typo', 'new info' and so on. I expect there will be lots of minor improvements coming up in the next few days, so like I said, give them time.

Flushed with success, I'll probably be changing my avatar again soon, probably to a Cairn terrier...

#84 markpde

markpde

• 522 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:56

Like that? Took me 5 seconds!

Nah, don't like it! :lol:

#85 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:56

As was linked-to in post #1 of this thread, comments and criticisms have been invited via the 'Contact Us' button and subsequent form.

Glad to see that all my predictions have come true regarding the overall TNF reaction the new format (which, rather obviously, is not unlike a new racing car which needs to be shaken-down before it races
:rolleyes:)

Done !

Also the 'Search' button has become a horribly blunt instrument devoid of all the precision it previously had.

It will take you forever now to search through pages of threads from all the forums instead of being able to confine the search to TNF only.

#86 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,284 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:06

Done !

Also the 'Search' button has become a horribly blunt instrument devoid of all the precision it previously had.

It will take you forever now to search through pages of threads from all the forums instead of being able to confine the search to TNF only.

Suggest you look again! Search > More Search Options. You then highlight the forum(s) you wish to search and still have option to select the poster's name.

There's also a Forum Search button at the bottom of the main page.

And nobody seems to have noticed that the much-requested Topic Search is now available (although the old-style search with your browser still can be accessed via the Lo-Fi Version).

Edit: and in the time it took me to type that they've added a default setting to "search this forum only"!

Edited by Vitesse2, 30 April 2009 - 12:08.

#87 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:11

It looks like TNF is going through it's Pastel period!

Like others I feel it's a bit bland, but such is progress.

#88 markpde

markpde

• 522 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:18

Certainly prefered the old bold black quotes to this washy blue in a box format

That's how the quotes now look in the old posts on existing threads - maybe the problem was with the 'washy' not the blue. Sure it could be fixed so that they come up like that automatically.

#89 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:26

and in the time it took me to type that they've added a default setting to "search this forum only"!

That is an improvement.

#90 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,034 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:31

Fine - a definite improvement.

Cue the "glass is half empty" brigade............

Surely not!

#91 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:31

That is an improvement.

I now need to wear my reading glasses to view TNF. This is not an improvement! :well: :well: :cool:

#92 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:38

I now need to wear my reading glasses to view TNF. This is not an improvement! :well: :well: :cool:

No, I meant the search this forum only feature just come on line......not the font , size, and blue colour which is still awful

#93 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:45

.................- although I like the RR more than you do!

Gives me an excuse to test the photo posting since the earthquake

Posted Image

This 2 door model costs more than a third of a million pounds.....oh that is not pretty to my eye !

Edited by RTH, 30 April 2009 - 12:49.

#94 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:46

Thank you sooooo much. Now what bout uploading photos?

#95 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:52

I see it automatically cuts your picture size in half, why is that ?

#96 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,817 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:54

I see that you have the new run about Richard :wave:

#97 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 13:00

I see that you have the new run about Richard :wave:

First rule in the motor trade Sterling, never drive your own car !

#98 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 13:03

So here is a picture 1600 wide , lets see what happens to that .

Posted Image

So that is now the biggest picture size we are able to post, the machine will stop everything down to that size, which is a pity really because you can get a lot more out of a picture which is full screen.

So another retrograde step.

Edited by RTH, 30 April 2009 - 13:06.

#99 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 484 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 13:09

And there you go, I had only almost just got use to the old one so we will see if we can get on top of this new one.
We obviously don't have direct photo post which I had hoped may have been part of the new package so I will have to continue struggling with other photo providers.
regards

Advertisement

#100 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,042 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 13:09

So here is a picture 1600 wide , lets see what happens to that .
So that is now the biggest picture size we are able to post, the machine will stop everything down to that size, which is a pity really because you can get a lot more out of a picture which is full screen.

So another retrograde step.

But there is a "click here to view at full size" option so that we don't have to have it full screen if we are not interested.
I'm happy with that.