5 replies to this topic

#1 Keke Rosberg

Keke Rosberg

• 108 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:42

Has anyone got this book?

-----------------------------

http://www.whsmith.c...k-90010101.html

Relive half a century of Formula One’s rich history through the newspaper stories of the time, in this fascinating Formula 1 Book, now updated to include the 2007/2008 season. Read about the racing legends and their moments of glory, all through newspaper coverage written by reporters who were present at the races at the time. Read all about the triumphs and tragedies of Hawthorn, Clark, Senna and the unforgettable champions from Hill, Stewart, Lauda and Prost - and of course Schumacher. More recent coverage in this Formula 1 book includes reports of the emergence on the latest crop of British Driving talent. Jenson Button made a strong early impression. But enjoy reading about the 2007 sensation, Lewis Hamilton, who had the near dream debut season - losing out on the Drivers’ Championship title in the last race of the '07 season then celebrating becoming the youngest F1 World Champion of 2008. This book is a perfect personalised Formula One gift for all racing fans! £44.99 each.

-------------------------------

I'm mainly interested in the newspaper coverage of the 70s - 80s, I wonder if any of you has got this book and does it include both qualifying/race report and any other F1 related news eg. driver movements.

thank you

Advertisement

#2 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:45

Hmmm,
That's different. Kinda cool.

#3 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 20:18

That looks very interesting. I might be tempted to buy one. Presumably these are available in stores?

#4 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 20:31

That looks very interesting. I might be tempted to buy one. Presumably these are available in stores?

I haven't got it, but I've seen it. It's similar to a lot of the football & other sport based books they do - which I have to admit, are good quality, excellent coffee table books & a good read.

They're not truly factually accurate & they often won't go into great depth, so as a resource book it's probably not the best, but as an interesting & enjoyable book, then it's not bad at all.

I don't think you can buy it at all stores - mainly I think you have to order it online - but it might be in big stores.

#5 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 20:32

I haven't got it, but I've seen it. It's similar to a lot of the football & other sport based books they do - which I have to admit, are good quality, excellent coffee table books & a good read.

They're not truly factually accurate & they often won't go into great depth, so as a resource book it's probably not the best, but as an interesting & enjoyable book, then it's not bad at all.

I don't think you can buy it at all stores - mainly I think you have to order it online - but it might be in big stores.

#6 maplestone71

maplestone71

• 63 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 21:37

I seem to remember coming across a copy of this in a store a while ago, picking it up in a feverish excitement (sounds a great concept), but was mightily disappointed that it was fairly sporadic in articles reproduced - as already mentioned absolutely not a reference book, but fine if you're after how the papers reported some of the more headline-grabbing (literally) events ...

In theory absolutely fantastic concept and, as mentioned, football versions abound - 1 book per team (even my local Derby County have an edition - apologies to my brother and his misplaced allegiances :lol: ).

One per F1 team, now that might start to be interesting ...