Photo

Matchbox Surtees F2 (warning: modern content)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:02

The 1972 F2 season was very colourful, the Rondel Brabhams and Matchbox Surtees' with their yellow, powder blue and red liveries, Jody's orange McLaren, the red STP Marches, etc etc.

I popped into Snetterton this morning, the first group test for the new FIA Formula Two. Very different from the F2 we all knew, now a one-make formula single seater designed by Patrick Head and Williams, no teams as such, as all cars are run by Jonathan Palmer's 'Formula Palmer Audi' operation at Bedford. Each driver is allocated an engineer and a couple of mechanics from FPA.

Apart from a few familiar faces from the past hanging around the pitlane, it was all very different from F2 as I recall.
One throwback was the Surtees name, John's son Henry in an F2 car and sporting those 'matchbox' colours, albeit without the backing. I said to John how good it looked and now it needs is the Matchbox logo, he replied 'it also needs some funding and sponsorship'! Anyway, some pics from this morning with Big John overseeing his son's progress and pleased to say fully fit again after his heart bypass operation just before Christmas.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Andrew Kitson, 06 May 2009 - 12:20.

Advertisement

#2 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:45

"Big John overseeing his son's progress and pleased to say fully fit again after his heart bypass operation just before Christmas."

:up: That is great news to hear. Thanks for sharing the photos Andrew. The Surtees car does look good in those colors. I like the treatment on the front wings that harkens back to the paint schemes of John's cars from the old days.

Brian

Edited by B Squared, 06 May 2009 - 12:47.

#3 Andretti Fan

Andretti Fan

• 393 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 15:56

Here's an idea. Paint the other cars to resemble old F1 sponsors designs. Martini Brabhams, Yardley Mclarens, JPS black and gold. Renault yellow and black. Now that would look sharp.

#4 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 16:01

I see a orange car: unfortunately no dutchman in this international grid or is it the TNF entry? ;-)

Matchbox is still around and could use some promotion: http://www.matchbox.com/home.aspx

There is quite a bit of relation with the past in this series: a Brundle and a Palmer racing as well. Any correlation between Henry racing #7 and Sir Stirling?

#5 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 16:19

Julian Bailey was there today aswell as his step son Jack Clarke is racing in the series. Also had a chat with Ralph Firman who was having a nose around. It was his former company Van Diemen that designed and built the original Palmer Audi cars. The orange car is driven by Austrian Phillipp Eng.

#6 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 18:26

I think I'd have preferred the TRUE Surtees colours of red with a white arrow.

That scheme may bring to mind Matchbox but looks more like a recent Renault design.

#7 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 18:35

This series has no appeal to me whatsoever. The drivers, in my opinion, are just far, far too young. Seeing little kiddies driving round in fast single seaters...really not for me.

#8 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 18:53

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2009-05-06

#9 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 18:57

Nice picture! That is the 1973 Matchbox colour scheme, darker blue.

#10 Direct Drive

Direct Drive

• 408 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 19:26

Here's an idea. Paint the other cars to resemble old F1 sponsors designs. Martini Brabhams, Yardley Mclarens, JPS black and gold. Renault yellow and black. Now that would look sharp.

I second that idea !

As far as kiddies driving fast, young Vettel makes my 13 y.o. look old!