Photo

Biggest single seater grid ever?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,537 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:25

We've got one of our Historic FF2000 races at the end of May at Spa. We're sharing the grid with the Dutch Monoposto series and the German Open single seater series. The organisers have apparently given dispensation for 70 starters, and the entry is full. Will that make it the largest ever single seater grid?

Advertisement

#2 Disco Stu

Disco Stu

• 186 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 13:16

We've got one of our Historic FF2000 races at the end of May at Spa. We're sharing the grid with the Dutch Monoposto series and the German Open single seater series. The organisers have apparently given dispensation for 70 starters, and the entry is full. Will that make it the largest ever single seater grid?

Not even close, I've seen 100 Spec Racers at Elkhart Lake before. The cars just kept coming and coming and coming and coming and...

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,806 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 16:27

I seem to remember large numbers of Formula Vee racers at the 1970 German GP at Hockenheimring - I'll have to look it up.

:wave: :wave:

#4 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 16:45

Not single seaters of course but don't they start in excess of 150 at the annual Nurburgring 24 hr race.

In 1972 I was in a Mini Seven race on the old long circuit at Snetterton one of 48 starters for just a 10 lapper.

#5 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 699 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:25

Is that why you wernt at this weekends HSCC at Silverstone????

#6 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,537 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:53

Is that why you wernt at this weekends HSCC at Silverstone????

We were - last but one race on Saturday. You could have come for a beer!

It's a rolling start at Spa - I reckon it could take up to 45s for all the cars to pass the line.

Edited by Cirrus, 11 May 2009 - 08:56.

#7 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 699 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:29

We were - last but one race on Saturday. You could have come for a beer!

It's a rolling start at Spa - I reckon it could take up to 45s for all the cars to pass the line.

PC at Lufield out, looked for you Sat morning even asked but could find you. You there for the classic if so will have a beer with you then

#8 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,537 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:36

We had a very busy weekend. HFF2000, Guards Trophy, BRDC Sportscars, two cars out in GTSCC, and two FJ races, so I spent a lot of time on the pit wall!

Sadly, I won't be at the Classic, but there will be beer available at the Delta truck.

#9 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,048 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:08

Well, I reckon 70 is pretty impressive Alan, even if it's not a record!

Watch out for those at the back though. I was down at the start at Cadwell last month and the back rows were trying hard to turn a traditional start into a roller! Which grid do you use? Before or after La Source? Six abreast into Eau Rouge should be entertaining.........