Photo

Alfa 2900 Coupé

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:41

Although Vancouver is stuck away at the 'top left' corner of n.america it does still get some interesting cars now and then. West Vancouver resident David Cohen owned the Alfa 2900 coupe that featured at Pebbly Beach last year and David used it regularly on classic runs around Vancouver. Another 2900 Coupe' was shipped up by Miles Collier a few year ago for restoration by "RX" the highly esteemed Vancouver restoration shop. While back in the care of Miles Colliers staff it suffered some damage-somebody ran it into something substantial while unloading it- and it returned to RX for repairs. This included repairing the rear bumpers where they had been bent by someone pushing on them, repairs to the front bumper from the 'unloading incident' and widening and refinishing the R/F wing/fender which had been made narrower than the l/f when new! While here in Vancouver a digital artist created software to recreate the fabulous grill, using David Cohen's car as a pattern. This allowed parts to be cut from sheet aluminium by water jet to be assembled piece by piece at RX. The present owner of David Cohen's old car has asked for a new grill also.....
I went to visit the car today at RX. It is locked away in the spray booth where 'The Great Unwashed' cannot touch it but I was taken in to see it by the guy who rebuilt the mechanical components-after Jim Stokes had done their bit-and to take a few photos.
The colour is a fairly plain grey-described as "London Fog" by the original paint suppliers. The first repaint failed as the various components of the paint separated and left a 'camouflage' effect that was not desired. It took 300 hours to sand the finish off without damaging the substrate! The car was then refinished in Standox. (Just like my Aston!)
Rob Fram, who does all the mechanical work at RX tells me that when he starts the car up from cold it sounds like a cement mixer gone berserk! ALL the gears are straight cut and with twin blowers and eight cylinders the racket is incredible. He says he feels relief whenever he shuts the engine down.
Some poor photos (Hey, don't blame me....)

Posted Image

The new grill:
Posted Image

The fuel filler. The boot lid has to be opened and fuel VERY carefully added, since if it is spilt on the boot liner it will disolve it! The clear plastic extends over the whole filler.
Posted Image

Edited by David Birchall, 09 May 2009 - 03:06.

Advertisement

#2 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:16

I'll take it! Now, where do I come up with the 10 mil? :(

#3 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:25

I'll take it! Now, where do I come up with the 10 mil? :(

Stu, I think you have come up with the magic number!

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:52

Wonderful car, but what an 'orrible colour! :well:

#5 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 15:08

It is certainly an odd colour for such a spectacular car. But grey was very popular as an automotive colour before the war. A friend has a 3 liter Bentley that is almost the identical shade of grey. My own Derby 3 1/2 was battleship grey when new. I have to admit that as I spent time looking at the car the colour grew on me. It was inside a spray booth however, daylight will really show the colour. The original colour had been removed entirely from the vehicle years ago by sandblasting apparently ! This shade of grey was chosen as being the most likely shade that matched the original description-"London Fog".

#6 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:53

I think it's a beautiful color! Whaddya want, resale red?
Anton

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:19

Oh well - beauty, eye, beholder etc. Wouldn't life be boring if we all liked exactly the same things?  ;)

#8 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:19

It is certainly an odd colour for such a spectacular car. But grey was very popular as an automotive colour before the war. A friend has a 3 liter Bentley that is almost the identical shade of grey. My own Derby 3 1/2 was battleship grey when new. I have to admit that as I spent time looking at the car the colour grew on me. It was inside a spray booth however, daylight will really show the colour. The original colour had been removed entirely from the vehicle years ago by sandblasting apparently ! This shade of grey was chosen as being the most likely shade that matched the original description-"London Fog".

Surely it's a little bit too blue. Wasn't a traditional "pea souper" slightly yellowy green.

But what do I know as I grew up in the colonies and and only got to London in winter long after the Clean Air Act.

OK, I'll get my coat.

Edited by D-Type, 12 May 2009 - 13:15.

#9 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 18:01

Surely it's a little bit too blue. Wasn't a traditional "pea souper" slightly yellowy green.

But what do I know as I grew up in the colonies and and only got to London in winter long after the Clean Air Act.

OK, I'll get my coat.

Duncan, I think you can hold off getting your coat until the car has been seen in the open under sunlight, or what passes for sunlight here lately....

#10 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 20:26

I would take it even if it was painted Lamborghini purple :p