Photo

March 721G or 731 photo needed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 15:27

I am writing a history of March 721G-1, the car that Mike Beuttler drove in 1972 and which turned into the March 731 that David Purley and Jean-Pierre Jarier drove in 1973.

Does anyone have a good quality picture that I could use?

Many thanks

Allen

Advertisement

#2 ace woodington

ace woodington

• 31 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 16:06

The 721G that mike Beuttler drove was coverted from an F2 car in the B S Fabrication (not limited at the time)workshop in Luton. I will remember the name of the road if given enough time.
The original car was used in Brazil and Argentina in 1973 where the tub started to disintigrate it was repaired at Varig after the brazilian race. I am fairly certain that it was not used again although the chassis plate might well have been used on the replacement car.

#3 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 16:29

The 721G that mike Beuttler drove was coverted from an F2 car in the B S Fabrication (not limited at the time)workshop in Luton. I will remember the name of the road if given enough time.
The original car was used in Brazil and Argentina in 1973 where the tub started to disintigrate it was repaired at Varig after the brazilian race. I am fairly certain that it was not used again although the chassis plate might well have been used on the replacement car.

Hi Ace!

Wasn't it Space Racing back then? You are quite right that you then got a new (old) car for Beuttler to drive in Spain. The original car - or at least its identity - became Purley's LEC-sponsored car for the rest of 1973.

Do you have any photographs in your scrap book from when you ran that car?

#4 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 21:57

This will be of no help you at all I suspect, Allen, but it's all I have!

Posted Image

British GP 1972.

:well:

PS I can 'clean' the image if it's of any use...

#5 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 22:10

http://forums.autosp...p;#entry3476599

Refer to post #15, if it's of any help.

#6 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,847 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:11

Allen, if I may, have you tried to contact Philippe Vogel, the french Beuttler-maniac who just published his book "privé de gloire" ( he sold the first 150 by the way, and has ordered a reprint of 100 ) . His book is said to have more than 600 pictures, many coming from Mike Beuttler's files that the family let Philippe use . It would be bad luck if there wasn't one that could suit your needs ( the one of the book cover for a start...)

The last entry about his book on the french "mémoire des stands" blog is there
http://memoiresdesta...e-critique.html
and Philippe's e-mail is phinorman@wanadoo.fr

edit : apologies, I hadn't bothered to check the link that Giraffe posted which I now realise goes directly to Philippe Vogel's own thread about his book .... :blush: I guess my suggestion is redundant now

Edited by philippe7, 10 May 2009 - 08:22.

#7 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 18:35

Thanks to Stuart, Giraffe and Philippe. I still don't understand the new forum - for some reason I wasn't told that there had been any further responses to this thread.

I now have a picture of this car with a GE jet engine in the back which I will post when I have established the correct permissions. I will contact Philippe to see if he has something of the car in F1 spec that I could use.

Edited by Allen Brown, 11 May 2009 - 18:38.

#8 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 19:32

I still don't understand the new forum - for some reason I wasn't told that there had been any further responses to this thread.

Allen; go to the top-right of the page displaying the thread and click on the 'Options' button and, from the drop-down, select 'Follow this topic'. The default settings are what you need, so scroll down and click on 'Proceed'.

The same procedure will be required for you to follow any TNF thread via email notification of new posts.

:up:

#9 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 19:33

Allen; go to the top-right of the page displaying the thread and click on the 'Options' button and, from the drop-down, select 'Follow this topic'. The default settings are what you need, so scroll down and click on 'Proceed'.

The same procedure will be required for you to follow any TNF thread via email notification of new posts.

But I started the thread. Why do I need to say that I want to follow it? That's daft! Of course I'd want to follow it.

#10 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 19:49

What am I missing? Went to options, clicked, the drop down box appears with a number of options, but none is 'Follow this topic'. I know and appeciate all the improvements on this forum, but frankly can't figure out how to get a number of them.

Tom

#11 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 21:46

What am I missing? Went to options, clicked, the drop down box appears with a number of options, but none is 'Follow this topic'. I know and appeciate all the improvements on this forum, but frankly can't figure out how to get a number of them.

Tom

Tom - use Track this Topic. You then get five or so choices; I've been going for the Immediate option.

It's not as simple as it is in the other forums.

But, that said, 'Hack' is doing a great job of sorting out these issues.

#12 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:57

Google picture search strikes again:

It doesn't show the pic in the preview for whateverreason. :confused:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope it's the car you're looking for.

#13 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:38

Google picture search strikes again:

Hope it's the car you're looking for.

Thanks Duc-Man, I had seen both of those. The top car is 721G/731-2, Beuttler's 1973 car but the bottom one is the car I'm looking for. I believe it's a magazine scan from Sport Auto.

My quest is for a picture than I can use - i.e. with the permission of the copyright holder.