Photo

Most experienced podium

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PMac

PMac

• 88 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:34

Seeing Button, Barrichello and Webber on the podium in Barcelona prompts me to ask: has there ever been a more experienced podium in F1? With 556 starts between them, I would have thought not.

Advertisement

#2 Lee Towers

Lee Towers

• 51 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 13:13

1991 Spanish GP -

1st Nigel Mansell in his 163rd GP
2nd Alain Prost in his 182nd GP
3rd Riccardo Patrese in his 222nd GP

Totalling 567 GP's

These are not including DNQ's, DNS etc.

Figures may be a little off, but not enough to take the total under 556.

*Places anorak back in wardrobe*

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,583 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 14:02

Seeing Button, Barrichello and Webber on the podium in Barcelona prompts me to ask: has there ever been a more experienced podium in F1? With 556 starts between them, I would have thought not.

Experience isn't just about the number of starts in one of the modern races.

13th May 1950 and in the first race in the Drivers' World championship at Silverstone had Farina, Faglioli and Parnell on the 'podium' - they would have been more experienced then Button, Barrichello and Webber.

:wave:

#4 AlanR

AlanR

• 48 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 19:49

This year's Australian GP had a podium of Button (158), Barrichello (269) and Trulli (200) giving a total of 627.

#5 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 23:03

And Rubens is not having a bad year for a bloke supposedly past it a few months ago. Amazing what a good car and team can do!

#6 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:03

Experience isn't just about the number of starts in one of the modern races.

13th May 1950 and in the first race in the Drivers' World championship at Silverstone had Farina, Faglioli and Parnell on the 'podium' - they would have been more experienced then Button, Barrichello and Webber.

I'm curious about that. More experienced in what way? More races? Not likely, since a thunkin' great war took up so much time and in any case there weren't so many races around back then.

#7 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:31

I'm curious about that. More experienced in what way? More races? Not likely, since a thunkin' great war took up so much time and in any case there weren't so many races around back then.

Maybe a better puzzler is "podium with most wins between the three". Although I suspect any of Michael Schumacher's later podium appearances would tie that up.

#8 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:27

Maybe a better puzzler is "podium with most wins between the three". Although I suspect any of Michael Schumacher's later podium appearances would tie that up.

Or looking at this from the opposite direction, what about the least experienced podium? Has there ever been a race where all three were standing on the podium for the first time in their F1 careers?

And a supplementary question, when did the term 'podium' first come into regular use, I can't recall hearing it much before the eighties or nineties.

#9 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,583 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:26

I was thinking more of the number of races per event the drivers participated in; plus of course their ages.

#10 PMac

PMac

• 88 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:54

This year's Australian GP had a podium of Button (158), Barrichello (269) and Trulli (200) giving a total of 627.

I didn't exactly look very hard before starting this topic, did I? :blush:

I wonder, then, whether this Button/Barrichello/Trulli podium boasted the lowest win/start ratio? I know you stattos out there love this sort of thing!  ;)

#11 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:14

There were more races than you might realize or expect "back then." If you take a narrow unidimensional approach to "experience," then you are, perhaps, missing the point.