Photo

Motor racing is pointless...

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:43

...according to La Nature. Cars are already way too fast and manufacturers have sacrified all usefulness for the sake of pure speed.

A warning from 1896.

Advertisement

#2 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:52

...according to La Nature. Cars are already way too fast and manufacturers have sacrified all usefulness for the sake of pure speed.

A warning from 1896.

Having nodded off a couple of times during the Spanish GP, I wouldn't disagree with the premise, though not necessarily for the reasons given.

#3 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:34

Isn't all sport pointless, in the ultimate analysis?

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:35

You could say that about life itself, to be nihilist about it.

#5 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:38

All a matter of degree surely, almost any sport is less pointless than synchronised swimming,

#6 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 431 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:40

All a matter of degree surely, almost any sport is less pointless than synchronised swimming,

Or Golf ?

#7 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:42

A warning from 1896.

Of course La Nature was talking out of its arse back in 1896. However in the modern era there may well be some truth in the hypothesis. It is a while since anything was fed back from racing into mass produced road cars, however it all depends on ones idea of what is useful.

:wave:

#8 DOF_power

DOF_power

• 1,538 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:49

Motorsport today no longer exists.
Real motorsport was not pointless. It went hand in hand with the development of the automotive industry. It developed the automobile and it promoted it.

#9 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:12

Motor racing may be "pointless" but I enjoyed it in the "good old days"when it was Motorsport

Edited by Peter Leversedge, 12 May 2009 - 12:13.

#10 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:14

Motorsport today no longer exists.

What have I been watching then?

#11 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 707 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:18

Motor racing may be "pointless" but I enjoyed it in the "good old days"when it was Motorsport

The racing that I am watching today BTCC, HSCC, regional BARC, BRSCC 750 MC etc and even the GP are just as exicting and as real a "motorsport" event as ever.

What the hell are people watching today where you have this view.

#12 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:43

The point in racing...to win at the fastest possible speed. That is not pointless.

#13 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:51

A warning from 1896.

Wasn't La Nature a nudist magazine?

#14 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 13:45

The point in racing...to win at the fastest possible speed. That is not pointless.

Actually no: the point is to win at the lowest possible speed. :D

#15 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 13:46

My old Dad (God bless him) never could understand my fascination for motor racing. "What´s the point in going around in circles?", he would ask. :)
It´s all relative to one´s point of view I suppose.

#16 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 13:53

[quote name='David Beard' date='May 12 2009, 13:34' post='3638949']
[/quoted

Perhaps... posting here is also pointless.

#17 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 14:01

Actually no: the point is to win at the lowest possible speed. :D

:D

It depends on how one approaches your race strategy...which again shows that racing is not pointless, since strategy is (hopefully) involved.

#18 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 14:06

The only thing pointless in GP racing at the moment is Force India :)

Edited by alansart, 12 May 2009 - 14:06.

#19 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 14:13

'Sport' between humans - as opposed to that which humans inflict upon animals - is merely a substitute for warfare, in theory costing fewer lives... One can always argue justification to indulge in sport - but such arguments are usually figleaf excuses. Too few own up that if sport is addictive fun, then who needs a commercial or practical excuse to indulge?

DCN

Advertisement

#20 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 14:14

:rotfl:

#21 vashlin

vashlin

• 331 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 14:32

Hmmm. I suppose the same could have been said about Honda last season.

#22 Stephen Miller

Stephen Miller

• 49 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 14:36

'Sport' between humans - as opposed to that which humans inflict upon animals - is merely a substitute for warfare, in theory costing fewer lives... One can always argue justification to indulge in sport - but such arguments are usually figleaf excuses. Too few own up that if sport is addictive fun, then who needs a commercial or practical excuse to indulge?

DCN

Well said Doug!

While it may seem like a slow day that this question has come up based on an 1896 report, it does seem somehow timely? Didn't I read somewhere that someone was testing hardware in the UK to prevent cars from traveling in excess of the speed limit based on linking with GPS coordinated speed limits? That doesn't seem very sporting at all, but it may resolve the outstanding 1896 issue!

Stephen

Edited by Stephen Miller, 12 May 2009 - 14:37.

#23 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 14:40

Football, and Arsenal in particular, are not pointless. They are fabulous.

Edward

#24 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 14:55

Given the irremediable nature of death and the infinite nature of time and space, everything is pointless...

But that should not stop us from salvaging the occasional moments of joy and happiness, in any form and no matter how trivial (including motor sport), that our brief stay on planet earth earth affords us.

Edward

#25 maoricar

maoricar

• 141 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 15:21

We are by nature, competitive AND creative creatures.

We are also, unusually in the animal world, aware of the concepts of death and danger.

And yet we are driven to compete and have done so, in various forms, for thousands of years....and hopefully, will continue.

From the time that the second car was built, the foundation was laid for motorsport competition and while motorsport may not be the genesis of ALL automotive improvements, it assuredly provides an excellent proving ground......I cite the development and testing of SGI piston rings and reticulat-tin aluminium bearing as two minor instances of personal experience.

#26 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 15:52

Football, and Arsenal in particular, are not pointless. They are fabulous.

Edward

Fabulous isn't the word I would use but then again neither is pointless. :p

#27 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 15:56

motorsport is not pointless as a sport meaning as a competition between drivers and as the exercises of virtuosity. but motorsport is pointless since a long time for the creation of new technology usefull in everyday cars ,specially for "green" tech , thats why motosport should go back to low tech spec or near spec series including F1, with no downforce no electronic no drivers aid ect ect

#28 Flat Black 84

Flat Black 84

• 739 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 15:59

Given the irremediable nature of death and the infinite nature of time and space, everything is pointless...

But that should not stop us from salvaging the occasional moments of joy and happiness, in any form and no matter how trivial (including motor sport), that our brief stay on planet earth earth affords us.

Edward

Thank you, sir! Now where's that confounded Tallahatchee Bridge?

:p

#29 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 16:05

Thank you, sir! Now where's that confounded Tallahatchee Bridge?

:p

Don't bother asking Billy Joe :wave:

#30 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 1,120 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 16:14

I'd like to turn this around ...

Instead of trying to disprove a negative 'motor racing is pointless'.., i'd like to ask 'what is the point in going motor racing' , without the question implicitly suggesting that there isnt any...

peter

Edited by PeterElleray, 12 May 2009 - 16:19.

#31 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 17:41

"Tallahatchee Bridge". Who he?

Edward

#32 Manel Baró

Manel Baró

• 134 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 17:48

motorsport is not pointless as a sport meaning as a competition between drivers and as the exercises of virtuosity. but motorsport is pointless since a long time for the creation of new technology usefull in everyday cars ,specially for "green" tech , thats why motosport should go back to low tech spec or near spec series including F1, with no downforce no electronic no drivers aid ect ect

Right! ... and a reasonable mpg figure i.e. :higher power plant efficiecy thus non-stop 200 mile races, and a down-to-earth aero, to facilitate overtacking.
In former days a GP driver was worth of 80 % of victory, now perhaps less than 20.
Can't understand these huge crowds paying nonsense entrance prices just to get bored a couple of hours. Am I alone to dislike this lack, IMO, of massive common sense?

#33 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 17:58

Edward

A sad little story set to music when you were about 5 or 6 about the activities of one Billie-Jo McAllister.
Roger Lund

#34 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 17:58

Edward

We'll tell you on the third of June ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

#35 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 22:44

A great deal of the motor sport I've seen has engendered cameraderie between people of like pursuits...

Is this 'pointless'?

Motor sport or motor racing encourages a development of the car, hence a development of knowledge in the participants. That knowledge, if nothing else, is useful elsewhere.

That, surely, isn't pointless!

I'll be waiting, otherwise, to see how things come out at the Tallahatchee bridge... that Billie-Jo has been whining too long about it!

#36 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 22:52

We'll tell you on the third of June ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

what about Choctaw Ridge though? :confused: what a fantastic piece of story telling :up:

#37 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 00:58

It may be pointless, but when you are actually doing it, it is incredibly exciting and satisfying. Which is why so many people spend a wad of their own money doing it for fun.

Big time racing is about advertising and always has been. Want to get your new 1896 50 hp Ignoblix known to the public: race it. Even if you crash, the name will be noticed and published in places where you haven't advertised.

#38 Stephen Miller

Stephen Miller

• 49 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:05

I'd like to turn this around ...

Instead of trying to disprove a negative 'motor racing is pointless'.., i'd like to ask 'what is the point in going motor racing' , without the question implicitly suggesting that there isnt any...

peter

Agree Peter

We seem to have started with the glass half empty instead of half full.

Motor Racing isn't pointless. At worst it keeps me from getting into trouble with less virtuous pursuits. At best it sparks the imagination in immeasurable ways. We just need to make a list!

I'll start with:

1) Endurance sportscar racing is the most interesting of racing as it combines the challenge of multiple formula, creating a truly diverse opportunity for technical solutions to solve the same problem: travelling the furthest distance in a 24 hour period. And you can do it for no other reason than because you "can"!

2) In North America it makes you get up early on Sunday morning to watch Grand Prix Racing Live, since "live"(well on TV) is the only way that it should properly be viewed!

just my thoughts

Stephen

#39 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,300 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:01

Edward

Former NASCAR driver, wasn't he?

Advertisement

#40 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:04

Former NASCAR driver, wasn't he?

Most definately; he also had a brother called London Bridge but he fell down a lot!

#41 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:44

Most definately; he also had a brother called London Bridge but he fell down a lot!

No, he drove for Ensign. Nearly.

#42 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 21:05

Of course, motor racing is pointless... more precisely, it WAS in 1896! Everybody knows that points were only introduced in 1950, and everything before is, erm... rather pointless to the Modern Eff One fan, anyhow...

#43 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:31

Of course, motor racing is pointless... more precisely, it WAS in 1896! Everybody knows that points were only introduced in 1950, and everything before is, erm... rather pointless to the Modern Eff One fan, anyhow...

:rotfl:

#44 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:43

Of course, motor racing is pointless... more precisely, it WAS in 1896! Everybody knows that points were only introduced in 1950

"Everybody" Michael? "1950" Michael? :cool: (Otherwise...good point!)

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 14 May 2009 - 09:44.

#45 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:00

Yeah, y'know... there are some geeks on an internet forum who pretend that motor racing existed before May 13, 1950, but we all know it's NONSENSE!

Good point? I thought it was rather pointless to mention that...

#46 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:19

Yeah, y'know... there are some geeks on an internet forum who pretend that motor racing existed before May 13, 1950, but we all know it's NONSENSE!

Good point? I thought it was rather pointless to mention that...

Is it worth pointing out the time when drivers would strive to overtake a rival to score LESS points??

Some interesting points made here by Leif Snellman and our own Don Capps... http://www.kolumbus....ellman/cha9.htm

Rob :wave:

#47 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:23

I was always under the impression that the very pointlessness of sport in general was what made everyone think there was a point to it rather than simply being an indication that society had developed to the point where sufficient leisure time now existed to allow for the conduct of generally meaningless and pointless activities that we then imbued with Meaning, even though that meaning or point was concocted and a societal invention.

But, I digress....

Edited by HDonaldCapps, 14 May 2009 - 11:24.

#48 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 14:55

I was always under the impression that the very pointlessness of sport in general was what made everyone think there was a point to it rather than simply being an indication that society had developed to the point where sufficient leisure time now existed to allow for the conduct of generally meaningless and pointless activities that we then imbued with Meaning, even though that meaning or point was concocted and a societal invention.

But, I digress....

Surely once there is a point to sport it ceases to be sport.

But I digress....

#49 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 15:26

It would indeed be a sad day when enthusiasm becomes blunted...

DCN

#50 jgm

jgm

• 196 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 18:15

I sometimes amuse myself by imagining an alien space ship arriving in orbit around the Earth. The occupants decide to survey the planet for signs of intelligent life and by chance descend to a low hover above the Olympic stadium where 80000 humans are watching the final of the pole vault with rapt attention. I wonder what the aliens would think.