Photo

Chris Andrews

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 15:45

This is a real long shot but having trawled the internet for information, I came across this Forum and am hoping someone out there might be able to help. A friend of mine, Chris Andrews (possibly Christopher Andrews or C.W. Andrews) is 70 later this year. I know he raced in the '60s but have very little info - single seater racing car, know he raced at the Reims circuit and came 2nd but that's about it. I'm trying to trace any photos of him that may be around for a birthday present - can anyone help or is this just too difficult?!

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 15:47

I remember him racing a Formula Junior Lotus 18 in 1960 (or maybe 1961)

If Ted Walker sees this he might be able to help with photographs

#3 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 15:50

Thanks David, can't believe I got a reply so quickly! At least I now know what car he drove...

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 16:24

He also raced an Austin Healey at Goodwood, a 100/6 in 1959 and a 3000 in 1960 before graduating to the 18, he won at Goodwood in June and July 1960 in it.

#5 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 16:32

Thank you so much for this info, in less than an hour I've discovered more than I have in a day of internet research - this is a great site! Any further info and particularly photos would be really helpful

#6 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 16:38

I remember Chris;He raced an orange Lotus 18 in FJ in 1960.I have a brief clip on a film of 60FJ.In 61 he had a red Cooper,after which he seems to have retired.

#7 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 16:44

Any race dates chaps.?????? It will help with photos. did he also race the Marina Rolls royce sports car ???

#8 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 16:46

I am probably off in the wrong direction, but wasn't there an Andrews connected with the Marina Rolls project?
Roger Lund

#9 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 16:48

Roger READ my last post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 16:48

Beat me to it, Ted. I must speed up my typing - it is as slow as my brain
RL

#11 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 17:44

My instant reaction to this post's heading was a recollection of 'C.J.Andrews' then a question mark about the Marina-Rolls-Royce - but wasn't that an Alan Andrews entry? Any connection being therefore...??????

DCN

#12 wdm

wdm

• 164 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 17:45

A quick look at FJ races on http://www.formula2.net shows a Colin Andrews in a Lotus 18 at Reims in 1960, and a Chris Andrews in a Cooper T56 in the following year's event. Is the 'Colin' a misprint, or are they two different people?

#13 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 19:22

Can't believe I've got so many people trying to help. Please keep going, somewhere along the line a pic might come to light

#14 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 19:30

A quick look at FJ races on http://www.formula2.net shows a Colin Andrews in a Lotus 18 at Reims in 1960, and a Chris Andrews in a Cooper T56 in the following year's event. Is the 'Colin' a misprint, or are they two different people?

Wasn't there a Colin Andrews who raced on into the '70s in F.Atlantic & F5000?

#15 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 19:54

re.dates:

The two 1960 Goodwood single-seater races mentioned above are listed in the 'Glory of Goodwood' book as being 25th June (41st Members' Meeting) and 9th June (42nd Members' Meeting); both FJ Scratch Races, winner shown as Chris Andrews. He also got fastest lap in both - the times quoted suggesting that the second one could have been wet.

Sue - it's a lovely gesture you have planned and being for an old racer we all want you to find something for him! Good luck!

#16 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 23:36

Dates and starts for his Formula Jr career can be found here

http://www.racing-da...e.com/index.htm

It doesn't allow a direct link to his stats .

You'll have to mouse over the "Formulae old" , then on the pop down click on "Formula Junior" .

From there , under "Statistics" , click on "Drivers" .

Individuale drivers are listed by alphabetical order by their FIRST NAME , not last .

When you find his name and click on it , under "Career Stats" , click on "Starts" . It gives races and dates , finishing order and such .

#17 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 23:38

Sue - it's a lovely gesture you have planned and being for an old racer we all want you to find something for him! Good luck!

Yes , it's a wonderful gesture . I really hope someone can provide a good photo .

#18 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:48

Yes , it's a wonderful gesture . I really hope someone can provide a good photo .

Thank you Robby and Tony, I'm still hoping there's a photo out there somewhere!

#19 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:57

There is a very good photograph in Autosport, January 27 1961.

Advertisement

#20 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:05

Any race dates chaps.?????? It will help with photos. did he also race the Marina Rolls royce sports car ???

Having been told about the Racing Database, I've found some dates for Chris from his Formula Junior days. He was racing for Empire Cars in a Cooper T56. There seems to be confusion between Colin Andrews and Chris Andrews, it's definitely Chris I'm looking for!

4/3/1961 61 - Easter Trophy
4/16/1961 I Preis von Wien
5/13/1961 III Grand Prix de Monaco Junior
5/21/1961 XXXI Grand Prix des Frontières
6/11/1961 XI Circuito di Castello di Teramo
6/18/1961 XI Gran Premio Automobilistico di Caserta
6/29/1961 III Gran Premio della Lotteria
8/19/1961 II B.A.R.C. Formula Junior Championship

#21 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:16

There is a very good photograph in Autosport, January 27 1961.

That's great news, all I need to do now is get hold of a copy !

#22 wdm

wdm

• 164 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:34

That's great news, all I need to do now is get hold of a copy !

Sue,

Being from Autosport, it should be found in the LAT archive: http://www.latphoto.co.uk

(Drop them an e-mail: the actual archive is far bigger than what you'll find on their website)

Good luck!

Edited by wdm, 13 May 2009 - 08:37.

#23 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:37

Volume 2 of Andre Biaumet's "Les Grands Prix Des Frontieres A Chimay" has a shot of Willy Vroomen (great name) being lapped by a gaggle of cars, Chris Andrews being dimly visible as the penultimate one, but other than an atmosphere shot not really of reference use...

#24 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:39

Sue,

Being from Autosport, it should be found in the LAT archive: http://www.latphoto.co.uk

(Drop them an e-mail: the actual archive is far bigger than what you'll find on their website)

Good luck!

Thank you - email sent, will let you know what happens

#25 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:34

Another source might the Klementaski Collection. This is a very large photographic archive. Peter Sachs is one of the partners who own this. You can see his posting here (post 2200):

http://forums.autosp...w...&start=2160

or here is the link to the website:

http://www.klemcoll.com/

Apparently, they have 891 b + w and 230 color photos from the 1961 Monaco Grand Prix, so hopefully they have a photo of Chris Andrews in the Cooper T59 Formula Junior! Apparently, Chris Andrews was car number 94 at that race, which would be helpful for the Collection when trying to find a photo!

Hope that helps.

Vince H.

#26 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:30

Another source might the Klementaski Collection. This is a very large photographic archive. Peter Sachs is one of the partners who own this. You can see his posting here (post 2200):

http://forums.autosp...w...&start=2160

or here is the link to the website:

http://www.klemcoll.com/

Apparently, they have 891 b + w and 230 color photos from the 1961 Monaco Grand Prix, so hopefully they have a photo of Chris Andrews in the Cooper T59 Formula Junior! Apparently, Chris Andrews was car number 94 at that race, which would be helpful for the Collection when trying to find a photo!

Hope that helps.

Vince H.

Thanks Vince - I've emailed Peter Sachs as suggested. Had no idea he raced at Monaco, it's great to get so much information from you guys!

#27 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:32

Thanks Vince - I've emailed Peter Sachs as suggested. Had no idea he raced at Monaco, it's great to get so much information from you guys!

Whoops, I didn't pick up it was in the list I found of his racing in '61 - obviously wasn't concentrating!

#28 cedricselzer

cedricselzer

• 116 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 21:39

Empire Racing Team was in fact Ian Raby of "Puddle Jumper" fame. In 1961 I worked for them at Aspern looking after Chris's car. I am looking at a picture right now of Chris driving his Cooper (race number 26). I am unable to show this picture as it has the name of the photographer on the back.
Arthur Fenzlau. Maybe you could try and find him. Ian Raby gave me the sack soon after as he said I was no good. So I joined Team Lotus. I think Jim Clark had a slightly better opinion of me. I did see Chris race at Monaco that year.
Cedric Selzer

#29 wdm

wdm

• 164 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 21:45

Ian Raby gave me the sack soon after as he said I was no good. So I joined Team Lotus. I think Jim Clark had a slightly better opinion of me.

:rotfl: :up:

#30 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:45

Having been told about the Racing Database, I've found some dates for Chris from his Formula Junior days. He was racing for Empire Cars in a Cooper T56. There seems to be confusion between Colin Andrews and Chris Andrews, it's definitely Chris I'm looking for!

The 'Colin Andrews' results for 1960 in the racing database are clearly those for Chris-an error on the part of the database compiler.

Edited by Rob29, 15 May 2009 - 06:45.

#31 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:26

The 'Colin Andrews' results for 1960 in the racing database are clearly those for Chris-an error on the part of the database compiler.

The Racing Database shows a Colin Andrews racing well into the '70s which I know Chris didn't do - so do you think it was just the 1960 stats where they got the wrong name?

#32 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:38

Empire Racing Team was in fact Ian Raby of "Puddle Jumper" fame. In 1961 I worked for them at Aspern looking after Chris's car. I am looking at a picture right now of Chris driving his Cooper (race number 26). I am unable to show this picture as it has the name of the photographer on the back.
Arthur Fenzlau. Maybe you could try and find him. Ian Raby gave me the sack soon after as he said I was no good. So I joined Team Lotus. I think Jim Clark had a slightly better opinion of me. I did see Chris race at Monaco that year.
Cedric Selzer

Thanks for this Cedric - great to find someone who actually knew him! It looks as if Arthur Fenzlau died - his photo archive is held at some museum in Vienna but their website is no longer available so may be closed, so that looks like a dead end, is it a good photo?

#33 cedricselzer

cedricselzer

• 116 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:31

I have 2 pictures. One of Chris leading Ian Raby and the other on his own. On the side of the car is written "Speedy". The team was called Empire Racing Team after Ian's second hand car business in Brighton "Empire Cars". Chris had a girl friend with him who I believe was either engaged or married to Moss. Maybe you know. It struck me at the time that Ian Raby organised the races and Chris picked up the tab.
Cedric Selzer

#34 P. Dron

P. Dron

• 99 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 13:48

Would this be the Rolls-Royce-owning Chris Andrews who used to live/still lives just down the road from the Royal Oak in Wineham, one of the best pubs in Sussex? If so, my sieve-like memory tells me that he boasted that he had once led a single-seater race (Formula Junior, I think) at Silverstone, with a number of notable names behind him, including Jim Clark. However, he then added that, about two-thirds of the way through the first lap, without the assistance of anyone else, he had rolled, breaking his collarbone and putting a promising career to an end.

#35 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 15:32

Would this be the Rolls-Royce-owning Chris Andrews who used to live/still lives just down the road from the Royal Oak in Wineham, one of the best pubs in Sussex? If so, my sieve-like memory tells me that he boasted that he had once led a single-seater race (Formula Junior, I think) at Silverstone, with a number of notable names behind him, including Jim Clark. However, he then added that, about two-thirds of the way through the first lap, without the assistance of anyone else, he had rolled, breaking his collarbone and putting a promising career to an end.

Yes that's the one! Although he doesn't live in Wineham any more and the Peacocks no longer have the pub so things have changed a lot since those days.

#36 P. Dron

P. Dron

• 99 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 16:38

Yes that's the one! Although he doesn't live in Wineham any more and the Peacocks no longer have the pub so things have changed a lot since those days.

Ah, the Peacocks - quite a family of innkeepers. Tim was the fourth generation, I think. Sorry, I've wandered off topic. But a lot of motor racing people used to go there, and perhaps still do.

Edited by P. Dron, 15 May 2009 - 16:42.

#37 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:26

Ian Raby gave me the sack soon after as he said I was no good. So I joined Team Lotus. I think Jim Clark had a slightly better opinion of me. I did see Chris race at Monaco that year.
Cedric Selzer

Thats gotta be the quote of the year on TNF Cedric :lol: Cheers, Mick

#38 Sue R

Sue R

• 14 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:26

I want to say a big thank you to all the people who contributed to this topic which has resulted in a TNF member in Australia scanning and emailing the pic of Chris in the Jan 27 1961 Autosport. FANTASTIC! I've also been given a contact from whom I can buy the issue. The wealth of information was awesome and part of his present will be a print out of all the comments - I have no doubt that within a couple of months he will be a member!

Thanks again Sue

#39 P. Dron

P. Dron

• 99 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:48

I want to say a big thank you to all the people who contributed to this topic which has resulted in a TNF member in Australia scanning and emailing the pic of Chris in the Jan 27 1961 Autosport. FANTASTIC! I've also been given a contact from whom I can buy the issue. The wealth of information was awesome and part of his present will be a print out of all the comments - I have no doubt that within a couple of months he will be a member!

Thanks again Sue

Give him my very best wishes. And tell him it's his round.

Advertisement

#40 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 16:54

Thanks again Sue

My best wishes to Mr. Andrews also , and a very happy 70th birthday to him , when it gets here .

That's the beauty of this place . Not only will you find those who remember , but many of them were there when it happened . It has to do a fellow such as Mr. Andrews good to know there are folks who haven't forgotten , and folks such as myself , who even though I had never heard of him , still want to know .

I think I speak for most here when I say , that even someone such as myself , nothing more than an old "dirt track racer" from the US , we are all still racers , and don't forget our own .

#41 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 18:07

And we might even get some more period FJ pictures posted........ undoubtedly well received by certain of us
Roger Lund