Photo

Grant Adcox

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:03

Hi all, in my quest to discover the dark side of Nascar I have stumbeled upon a driver called Grant Adcox. It seems that his carrer was full of bizzare things and unfortunately filled with nasty accidents(according to wiki). I know little about him other than that facts on the wiki and would like to hear(read) more. In particular I would like to know some normal things, like when he started, what was he like a person and things like that. I am not really interested in crashes because they are already covered on wiki. It is a shame that when you have a driver like Adcox, all you find around the web are crashes, but very little info on his carrer and character.

So please you can post your comments and stories here. Also a big thank you to the guys who contributed to the Tim Richmond thread.

Thank you, bye

Advertisement

#2 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 16:16

Grant Adcox was from the greater Chattanooga area and raced mainly in ARCA with nominal sponsorship from his father Herb's Chevy dealership. He ran very well in ARCA at times, got hold of a good ex-Cup car and won four straight superspeedway races in '86-'87. The two best-known Winston Cup crashes: the one on pit road at Talladega in which Don Miller, Penske's right hand man in NASCAR for many years, lost his leg; and of course the fatal accident at Atlanta. The seat mounts failed in the impact and he was killed by his steering wheel if I recall. Likable guy, I don't think he was regarded as a crasher so much as simply in over his head in Cup. But then there many ocassional competitors in Cup at that time, far more than now.

Coincidentally, the former Adcox Chevrolet dealership building in Dayton, TN is now the HQ of Buckaroo Communications, which publishes around a dozen automotive magazines, mainly street rod titles. John Dianna, the company principal at Buckaroo, earlier founded Circle Track magazine while with the Petersen Publishing Co. No connection between Adcox and Buckaroo that I know of, just one of those it's-a-small-world things.