The advert proclaimed the 'inauguration of a new league of fellowship', heralding a resurrection of 'The Spirit of the Road' and offering subscribers the chance to join this 'Fraternity of Good Fellows'. Membership was open to all who take an active and enthusiastic interest in Motor Sport in all its branches (so long as they subscribed to Motor Sport as well!), whether drivers of cars or motor cycles, or simply enthusiastic followers of the sport. The Editor had final say as to eligibility for membership, which was for 'bona fide motoring sportsmen'.
The objects of the League of Motor Sportsmen were quoted as:
- To promote the cause of Road Racing in this country.
- To foster Motoring Sport in all its aspects.
- To combat Police persecution.
- To educate Public Opinion, which is so definitely anti-motorist.
- To restore the Chivalry and Fellowship of the Road, which, with the increase of purely utility motoring, is fast dying out.
- To establish a bond between all owners of sports vehicles, cars or motor cycles.
- To show, by example, thet the owner of a sports machine is the finest and most competent driver on the road, and by adopting the slogan of "Speed with Safety" show to all other road users that the members of the League of Motor Sportsmen are drivers whose consideration for all road-users is equalled only by their expert driving.
A badge was issued to League members. Does anyone know if there any still in existence?