Photo

Would Dino Ferrari have become a pillar in F1 racing?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 13 October 2000 - 21:55

Alfredo Ferrari, called Dino (from Alfredino, =little Alfredo) was brilliant since he was a little kid. When he was a child he used to follow his father into the Maranello factory and watch what of exciting and interesting was happening there. He began to love that yellow shield in the red background and understand that everything there, was part of him. The most fantastic thing for his child's eyes were the engines. A mysterious steal box with such a power inside to explode, like his young little heart. Maybe there was an unconscious link between his disease and his natural genius for projecting engines.

He was suffering of a terrible disease that paralyzes the external mechanisms of the body, that paralyzes the power of the movements, while the heart's power inside is high and alive.

Some people said that Dino was a rare genius, cleverer than his father too. Probably he would have been an engine projectist only (his passion) but for sure his talent would project something of important if he would have had the chance to do it.

One day the 11 years old Dino went to Maranello with his father. There was an engine on a test bank. They approached to it and Enzo began to talk with a mechanic while the Dino's eyes were more and more opened wide between the surprised and the excited. The young boy took a corner of the Enzo's jacket and pulled it: "PapĂ  [daddy], one day i'll build one by myself too, isn't it?".

Enzo Ferrari was so happy that stood in silence for the surprise and a little tear dropped down by his cheak.

1956 was one of the most important years of the Enzo Ferrari's life. In fact in that year the Maranello's factory began to increase its car production going from 81 to 113 cars produced. The reason of this success (in 1961 Ferrari would have produced 1246 cars!) was the fact of a sure and reliable production system and the effort of turinese chassis designer Pininfarina.

1956 reserved to Enzo Ferrari a big pain too. The biggest. Dino died in their Modena home on 30th June 1956. His body after a short fever "stopped to work" turning off slowly, like a consumed engine. The day after, in the French Grand Prix, Peter Collins won running with a black string on his arm and said "Mister Enzo, this is a gift for you and a dedication to Dino". Enzo Ferrari never forgot this "gift".

That's why for years and years Enzo Ferrari always wore a black tie, meaning the deep and never ending pain for his only one son so loved and too soon lost. (later Enzo Ferrari would have another son with another woman than his wife: Piero Lardi Ferrari, actual honourary president of the Ferrari company).

Enzo remembered Dino in many ways. Titling the Imola track (near Maranello) to him ("Circuito Dino Ferrari"), and that engine: the one that Dino was projecting for F1, a V6, a full Dino's idea and ended by Vittorio Jano. The cars powered by that engine model were all called "Dino", like the Dino 246 F1 that became world champion driven by Mike Hawthorn in 1958.

Advertisement

#2 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 06:26

Thanks for the nice story, Red. They must have lots of those in Italy, where Ferrari comes right after the Pope in importance.

#3 lynmeredith

lynmeredith

• 174 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 06:38

Thanks for that story Redfever. A little tear came to my eye too when I read it!. Imagine what it must have been like to be the son of Enzo Ferrari and to be taken into that holy grail at Maranello. Magic for the child.

#4 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 15 October 2000 - 14:28

A little bird once told me that all the hoopla about Dino's involvement with the V-6 was only a cover for the fact that Jano and his designers had appropriated some ideas that had originated at Lancia in the latter's V-6 era and wanted to deflect attention from that potentially embarrassing fact. I think we can safely assume that young Dino's contribution to the engine series named after him was nugatory.

#5 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 17 October 2000 - 22:32

who is the Pope??? :)

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 17 October 2000 - 23:32

I don't think that's a question that has come up on this forum before. Probably outside the knowledge of the average member....

#7 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 18 October 2000 - 17:06

well, the joke was that no way Ferrari comes after the Pope in Italy........a more likely ranking would be:

#1: Azzurri (Italian soccer team)
#2: Ferrari
#3: Love Making
#4: Good food
#5: Good wine
#6: Good friends
#7: Fashionable clothing
#8: Good friends They are never enough)
#9: great car
#10: great vacations/travel

Pope? I think he dropped the Italian Billboard 100.....;)[p][Edited by RedFever on 10-18-2000]

#8 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 18 October 2000 - 17:28

I didn't know that.

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 18 October 2000 - 21:27

You can be excused for not knowing this totally irrelevant and useless stuff, Hans.

#10 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 18 October 2000 - 22:17

it's unbelievable how ignorant some people can be.... :lol:

#11 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 18 October 2000 - 22:19

also, how would you explain it otherwise, if the Pope still had any real influence, that Italy has the lowest birth rate than any country in the world??? trust me, it's not the result of abstinence.....;)

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 18 October 2000 - 22:34

Ah, memories of my brief visit to Italy... seeing the young studs showing their wares to the tourist ladies, as if they were irresistable.... no, I guess sex is far from out of style there...

#13 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 25 October 2000 - 20:26

they are still coming these sexy ladies though.......

#14 mhferrari

mhferrari

• 3,238 posts

Posted 25 October 2000 - 21:39

Hey, I am Italian and the Pope influences me!

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 25 October 2000 - 22:30

Shame on you!
Look at his bedfellows in history....