Photo

Posting of images

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Michael M

Michael M

• 142 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 11:43

Sorry guys, I tried to introduce a way to poste images from own harddisc to the forum, but it failed!
Will work further on this and will revert if I found out something workable.[p][Edited by Michael M on 10-14-2000]

Advertisement

#2 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 17:39

I never understood this either. Seems to be a bit mysterious for a computer illiterate person like me. :confused:

The way I understand the vB code, one has to have a website of your own to be able posting images. But there are picture contributors on TNF who don't have their own website, according to their profile. :confused:

Don, could you please tell us? :)

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,503 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 18:20

I thought I'd sorted it out, but I've just tried to post some images to the Auto-Union thread and failled miserably.
Where did I go wrong?

#4 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 18:46

Does it require an IQ test? ;)

#5 Flicker

Flicker

• 194 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 18:52

Roger!
May be you have to change caps from Capital to... lower-case...
Because when I go to your site... there I can access your pics.

#6 GT Action Photo

GT Action Photo

• 96 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 19:11

It helps being a rocket scientist when it comes to posting
images on the Atlas F1 BB.

Posted Image

Photo: GT Action Photo

With kind regards,
Gary Trobaugh

#7 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 19:26

If I can do it, everybody can.
Steps :

a) Get some web space, better if it´s a free one.
b) Learn how to send the pictures you scan to the web space. There is usually a "designed for dumbs" tool that, as in my case, makes it pretty obvious. Thanks to the guys that design those things.
c) Take a look at how they look once they are there (*)
d) Copy the address of where your picture is now
e) Use the vB code in front and at the end of the address
f) Before posting a reply, preview it.

(*) Might sound stupid, but for some reason unknown to me, some of those free spaces will not work too well, and pics exceeding some volume will not show complete. I had that problem once, but not anymore.

:)
Felix

#8 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,503 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 21:10

Capital advice Flicker!

One way to get your free web space is to have over 1000 posts on TNF, so get working!

#9 John Cross

John Cross

• 139 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 21:38

Roger,

Your urls on the AU thread are lower case (awe1.JPG etc) but if I look on your site the directory shows them in upper case (AWE1.JPG etc). So a simple edit should do the trick. Or change the file names on your site, as Flicker suggests.

When posting pictures I always display them in a browser first, then copy the url from the browser to the vB code.

#10 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 21:53

Thank you very much for your helpful advice, Felix. This is greatly appreciated. I will try to find some web space now.

Roger, I know Atlas offers free web space here after one has accumulated 1000 posts. Since I am still serving my apprenticeship here, that will take till the latter part next year.

#11 rainern

rainern

• 64 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 22:59

http://w1.859.telia....r-ger-F101C.jpg

#12 rainern

rainern

• 64 posts

Posted 14 October 2000 - 23:02

Now I got it....!

Posted Image

#13 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 15 October 2000 - 01:40

Guys,

I am just a minion here myself and know zippity doodah about all the techno stuff -- it doesn't help that I detest Windows NT and such stuff with a passion I reserve for few other things in my life. Remember,I hire contractors to do all this stuff in my day job! I think great thoughts and direct dedicated members of my staff towards turning those great thoughts into reality....(in other words, I am a commander so I frame the mission and they figure out the best ways to execute it while I panhandle for the resourcing...)

So, beats the hell outta me as this code business. I suffer through as best I can and try not to screw it by looking at it too hard... Remember, I used to be a Ranger Sergeant before I was a Rocket Scientist...

I read the instructions and try to follow them when everything else fails...

#14 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 15 October 2000 - 04:28

Reading the instructions doesn't always help.
Most human beings are incapable of giving instructions on anything, from finding their house to how to use a computer, that other human beings can follow.
The ability to give instructions that other human beings can understand is a rare gift.

Don
I have been meaning to ask where you got the little drawing of the midget speedcar. It looks familiar, although that might just be because it depicts the classic shape for these cars - 1940s to 1960s perhaps.
It is a shape I love, like a good front-engined racing car (the Ferrari 500 of 1952-1953 was always my favourite).

#15 Michael M

Michael M

• 142 posts

Posted 15 October 2000 - 09:32

Didn't expect that my topic created so much interest, I tried to remove it after failure, but this was not possible. I expected it would stay blank.

The VB code is clear and creates no problem, so posting pics directly from the web is easy. However, I have a rather large archive on my harddisc, part of it images I found in the web, but didn't noted the source url, the other part own scans. As Felix said, you need your own homepage to deposit the images there, and by using VB code you then can post them here. Some large web companies like Yahoo, Excite, and others offer the possibility to place images on their servers, which can be viewed by third parties then. This is exactly what I did, the result was that I could visit my own "photo album" in the web and view the uploaded pictures, but access through atlas was refused. Alternatively I tried then to show only the URL of the pictures instead the full image (using "url" instead of "img"), but this also failed, error message "access forbidden from external hosts”.
I thought this was simple method to solve the wellknown problem, as frankly spoken starting of own web page - even if free of charge - , only for sporadic posting of photos here in the forum, for me is too difficult.

However, as the first part of my posting failed, let’s try at least the second one, which is identification of the cars. Hereafter again the URLs of both photos, as the links do not work directly they can be paste-copied into browser’s address box, and visited directly.

http://i11.yimg.com/...tified-1948.jpg

http://i11.yimg.com/...tified-1949.jpg

Hope at least this works!

Obviously both cars are very early Ferraris, Austria and myself have some idea which cars it could be, but as neither a driver is shown nor an easily recognizable background, we are still unsure resp. have various possible options at hand. Anybody around able to name event and driver?

#16 Michael M

Michael M

• 142 posts

Posted 15 October 2000 - 09:36

Hey, that's strange, the links are working now??!!
Okay, let's try it again with the images:

Posted Image

Posted Image

First edit: :confused: :confused: :confused:
What the ....!
Now neither the links nor the images work! Stupid system!
Okay, let's stay with copy-pasting.

Second edit: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Now the first picture is shown, and for the second one even paste-copying does not work!!!
Anybody around able to explain???
I'm on my way to my garage, picking up the biggest hammer I can find![p][Edited by Michael M on 10-15-2000]

#17 Michael M

Michael M

• 142 posts

Posted 15 October 2000 - 09:54

Additional edit not possible in a.m. posting, so here it is:

Third edit: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now first picture away again, and both URLs cannot be paste-copied!!
I'm just back from garage, so I now will use tool mentioned above!

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 15 October 2000 - 14:00

I got a Yahoo site just for the purpose, not too hard, but a bit of a bugbear to just put one photo on at a time... better to have a session and do a lot.
Pagebuilder is not too hard to use.

#19 John Cross

John Cross

• 139 posts

Posted 15 October 2000 - 14:54

Michael,

I get an 'Access forbidden from external hosts' from Internet Explorer but it works fine with Netscape! Very strange :confused: