Introduce yourself! (merged)

• Please log in to reply
327 replies to this topic

#201 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 885 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 19:08

Welcome to the forum :p , good history , also !!! :up:

Welcome from me too.Grand-dad gets a mention on here from time to time(on the MVs) :wave:
HW

Advertisement

#202 husky410

husky410

• 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 21:55

Welcome from me too.Grand-dad gets a mention on here from time to time(on the MVs) :wave:
HW

I had noticed, that's how I discovered this place when I googled him. It's just great to see mention of not only him but all the other riders of the past who bring back good memories. I just wish I had kept al those old race programs!

#203 roger382

roger382

• 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:49

:wave: Belated intro, my name is Roger Cocks and I started racing in 1965 on 50`s, firstly a Motom and then a Minarelli engined screamer. Got to play with the big boys in late `66 when I started proddy racing a Triumph T100SS, later converted to Daytona spec. Next came a 350 Ducati in late `68, great fun on short circuits but a handful over the Mountain. This prompted me to get a Seeley type frame constructed, by Saxon Racing, to improve the road holding. For various reasons things didn`t work out and I sold all my Ducati stuff to Mick Walker, the reassembled bike later to become the Walker Ducati ! At least I know that the idea behind the bike was sound. Next up in the winter of `71/`72 came a `66/`67 long stroke 344 Aermacchi, later growing into a 382. After an expensive `bang` at the Brands Good Friday meet in `76, my good friend David Whittaker lent me his Petty Manx for that years Senior MGP. What a bike that was, I brought it home as the first Manx to finish, well, better than saying I came 26th !! :lol: `77 to `80 saw me joining the `stinkwheels` once again with a proddy racing Suzuki T500. After a work induced gap, I was a long distance driver, a random comment, by another good friend, in the pub one night, sort of snowballed, resulting in us wheeling out for practise at Snetterton in April 1990, a classic sidecar BMW outfit..... the result ?..... 6 years of the best fun you can have with your leathers on :clap: Oh happy times `n many happy memories. Over the years I raced at Brands, Lydden, Crystal Palace, Thruxton, Castle Coombe, St.Eval, Pembrey, Wroughton, Gaydon, Church Lawford, Mallory, Snetterton, Cadwell, Three Sisters, Ty Croes, Scarborough, Croft, the Billown circuit and the KING of them all Mona`s magnificent Mountain :up: :clap: (S100 1970 ~ 1974 & MGP 1970 ~ 1980) Plus the odd trip over the Channel to battle with the froggies :wave: Overall, 1965 ~ 1996 = pure heaven, 1996 ~ 2010 = the biggest anticlimax ever..... but oh what memories. Sorry if I`ve bored you all to tears, after all, I was only a plodder in it for the fun..... apart from a couple of sidecar championships that we won..... but that`s another story :clap: :clap: :clap:

#204 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:54

Hi Guys-and Girls! My name is Mike Coombes.I had my first race in 1963-a scramble-and my last in september 2008-a 900 yard twisty sprint at Curborough.In between I have competed in every motorcycle sport bar freak hill climbs and ice racing.My wife Barbara is also a good racer and took part for many years in vintage sidecar racing.she also rode 18350 feet up the himalayas for a cancer charity to the highest motorable road in the world.I rode in four M.G.P.races 1976 thro 1979,twice on 500 Suzuki,twice on P&M Kawasaki.I rode with most of the top Irish racers between 1976 and 1987 and enjoyed the challenge! The T.T.circuit is like a motorway after the Temple or the Skerries.I was never a top runner but I recon I was handy and I usually came home in one piece.I have been lucky to get to ride some wonderful bikes over the years-probably because I normally stayed shiny side up..My last big event was riding a 636cc Knight Honda in the A.M.A.Grand Nationals at the Springfield fairgrounds where I raced on the mile dirt track.This was a 35year ambition-ever since I saw"On Any Sunday"I just had to do it.It was totally different to 1000 metre longtrack which I had considerable experience of.It was like road racing on an oval with an oily track.Most disconcerting.I had a great time,made the semi-final but I did not transfer into the "Main".Probably a good thing-20 laps and it was 95 degrees and 90 per cent humidity! After 45 years of non stop racing I called it a day and now Barbara and I enjoy sailing our 11metre ocean going yacht "Jess" I still have a few bikes including the T500 Suzuki I used in 1976/77.I will restore it and then find a good home for it.Yours In Sport,Mike.

#205 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 885 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:27

Welcome Mike and Mrs C, :wave:
Damn good portfolio there.Another North Glos jockey IIRC.Know what you mean about the Irish circuits,those boys are a breed apart.Hope you enjoy our ramblings,and time to rummage through the photo albums I reckon.
Atb HW

#206 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 16:05

Hi Mike et al :wave:

You must have some big nuts to ride at Springfield..I'm 50 miles away..had to go and see for myself and I wasn't disappointed :wave: It was 95 f when we went too..bad enough watching but riding? :) :) :) You have to be nuts :clap: :clap: :clap: Welcome :up:

David

#207 lonewolfb

lonewolfb

• 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:45

Hello all, my name is Marco, I live in Verona (Italy) I restored old racer bike 50cc. my web site:www.oldracer50cc.com
All best regards

#208 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 885 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:41

Hello all, my name is Marco, I live in Verona (Italy) I restored old racer bike 50cc. my web site:www.oldracer50cc.com
All best regards

Nice stuff Marco,and welcome
HW

#209 dommieracer

dommieracer

• 216 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 20:45

Ok forgot to do this a few months ago. My name is kevin and i am the son of a 1960's GP sidecar racer ( John ). I have raced also and decided to call it a day when kids with the name of Toseland and Stoner etc left me standing or put me in the gravel!!

I have in my collection my fathers 1959 Dommie racer under restoration, and his 1963-65 GP sidecar less Manx engine and his 1967 unussed mini wheeled GP frame. A Honda 400/4 that i have given to my son Tom (15) to make as a Hailwood replica and last but not least a mk1 honda cbr600.

I have several pics of the 60's to 00's racing and will try to post them when i can. My old man racer chairs against the best and from time to time beat them, but not when it counted in GP's. In 66 he used fairings given to him by Fritz Scheidegger. He had upmost respect for Fritz, Florian and Duebel ( who sent my dad a 70th birthday card ). I will post as many stories of this era with pics that i can from my dad.

One thing i am looking for to give to my father are posters of the 1965 German GP, French, Spanish and 66 German GP's. All lost in a fire in 76. Oh and one small thing for me. Just the sort of item left in a shed or used as a door stop. A manx engine or sponsor to buy one so that my stable can have a sponsors name for the next 20 or so years etc. You know thow the normal bla bla bla. Well if you dont ask you will never know.

Looking forward to many great pics from other members.

Kevin Sweet :wave:

#210 bella

bella

• 101 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 14:55

Hi, my name is Alan Bell, hence my user name "bella", i have no proper racing background to speak of although like many i have had my mad moments on the road.
Anyway i started watching the racing in early 78, my first meeting was the Mallory post TT then donington when the crowd were going nuts over a bloke called Hailwood who i honestly had never heard of, and from then on i was hooked as we travelled the country to all the big meetings right through until 85 when the factories stopped the top lads racing non GP's.

Favourite riders ...Hailwood, Hartog, Schwantz.
Favourite race....Sidecars at a Mallory race of the year meeting 79 or 80, Taylor, Greasley and Michel.

#211 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,391 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 18:03

Hi , Alan , welcome to the forum , :rolleyes: , please enjoy and take part in any chat , and your'e welcome to heave up a few piccies :wave:

#212 zxrman

zxrman

• 27 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 21:21

Hi all. My name is Mark Wateridge and I stumbled across this forum whilst searching the internet for info on an old race bike I'm looking for.

I raced at club level in the UK from 1986 - 2004, but from 1990 to 2004 my season was geared to the MGP. My first race was at Brands Hatch with BMCRC on my then road bike (GPZ550 Kwak) in the 1300 production class. - I bought it brand new in 1982 and I still have it today ! The GPZ saw me through my first season and then I raced a F2 Kawasaki for a few years, picking up some wins and the New Era 600 championship in 1987. My Avatar is a picture of a youthful me and that F2 Kwak. My whole racing focus changed in 1989 when I went to the "Island" for the first time to help a mate racing at the MGP. The place just blew me away and I returned in 1990 to race in the Newcomers. I raced various bikes (all 4 strokes) there - the F2 Kwak; FZR600; Hinckley Triumph; CBR600; and lastly a ZXR400. Like anyone who has raced on the Island I experienced the highs & lows it can deal out. The high's are the MGP Replca's I have been fortunate enough to win and they take pride of place amongst my racing memories. The lows are obvious - and my racing days were ended with a crash in the 2004 MGP ): I was never good enough to mix it with the real fast boys at the sharp end, but I had fun trying to keep up :)

I have so many happy memories of my racing days - good mates, hard riding and hard partying in the circuit bar afterwards - I even met my darling wife, Jackie, at a party held by a racing mate :lol: I dread to think how much I spent on my racing - I could probably be retired now. :lol:

But I wouldn't change a thing.

Mark.

Edited by zxrman, 20 October 2010 - 21:23.

#213 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 635 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 23:16

Hi Mark & welcome, you'll love it on here, most people (me included) found the site in a similar way, its the best kept secret in racing :) although i've been spreading the word to a few people since found it.

Looks like you were racing around the time I was winding down but I bet i'd know your face as I spannered for a few people at the MGP & TT from 85 up to quite recently.

Hope you enjoy the site, just keep an eye on the clock, when I first found the site late one evening I got so engrossed in all the photo's I didnt realise the time until I heard the birds singing outside!!

#214 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 22:01

nice one Mark...Welcome to the nuthouse :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Good isn't it Paul? :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Daisy

#215 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 635 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 22:50

Its brilliant CK :)

#216 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:37

Hi There
My name is Stuart Matthews and I have only just come across this forum and it is amazing to read the familiar names from past years. I started racing in 1977 on an RD400C with the BFRC but moved to the 250 prodution class in 1978 on an RD250DX. In 1979/80 I rode an X7 moving to a 250LC in 1981/82 at which point the money ran out apart from the odd ride on anything that was offered. In 1983 I rode a 350LC in selected events and in 1984 rode a 350YPVS in endurance events and the Manx GP. After this I did the odd long distance race on a variety of bikes including the then new Gamma's in 1985/86. In 1987 I was given a TZ125G to race in return for some spannerwork and in 1988 I raced a TZR125 in the British Championship as it was again a free ride. Later that year I took a good tumble at the Craner Curves which with the loss of Peter Warden and Kenny Irons convinced me to call it a day. However with the 'bug' still firmly installed what followed was sprinting, moped racing and now classic parading. I have a few photos from the early days which I hope some of you will like to see and i will post them up at some time.

Have a great New Year

Stuart

#217 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,391 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:45

Hi , Stuart , and welcome to the forum , you'll be amongst friends here , and , yes , share your pics and tales with us :up: :wave:

#218 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 635 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 19:22

Hi Stuart, welcome from me too, your name is familiar for the early eighties and yes please share your photo's.

#219 ladyofmann

ladyofmann

• 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 17:53

Thanks to Paul Collins for introducing me here.We go back a long way to our days in Lincolnshire and Cadwell Park,and we both live on the Isle of Man.I am Hilary Musson,ex racer,ex TT riider,and TT marshal,almost fatally injured whilst marshalling at 26th milestone at 2007 TT.I still intend to ride a motorcycle again,but I lost my left leg way above the knee and my right leg was badly damaged and is full of metalwork.I hate not being to ride a bike.My daughter Gail is the only lady to have lapped the TT course at over 100mph on a 125.I still have two bikes,a 250 RS Aprilia and an NC30 Honda.

Advertisement

#220 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,241 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 17:57

Thanks to Paul Collins for introducing me here.We go back a long way to our days in Lincolnshire and Cadwell Park,and we both live on the Isle of Man.I am Hilary Musson,ex racer,ex TT riider,and TT marshal,almost fatally injured whilst marshalling at 26th milestone at 2007 TT.I still intend to ride a motorcycle again,but I lost my left leg way above the knee and my right leg was badly damaged and is full of metalwork.I hate not being to ride a bike.My daughter Gail is the only lady to have lapped the TT course at over 100mph on a 125.I still have two bikes,a 250 RS Aprilia and an NC30 Honda.

A very warm welcome, Hilary. :wave:

#221 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,391 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 18:19

A very warm welcome, Hilary. :wave:

Likewise , welcome to the forum :up: and look forward to your comments :wave:

#222 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 635 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 19:35

Hi Hilary nice to see you here and looking forward to your contribution to the excellent threads on here.

#223 TZ350H

TZ350H

• 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 23:26

Hi everyone

My dad took me to my first race at the age of 7 to watch practice for the 1965 Ulster Grand Prix. I just cannot express in words the impact that first racing experience had on the rest of my life as I watched, listened and smelled the 350 GP bikes hurtling up through Jordan's Cross. The only rider I can specifically remember from that day was Jim Redman on the works Honda and for me he immediately became a god and his works Honda a gorgeous silver, gold and red jet projectile. The Ulster Grand Prixs which followed were really magical with Hailwood, Bryans, Ivy, Agostini and Read becoming my idols and the sounds particularly of those Honda sixes still makes the hairs stand on the back of my neck. The late 70s was also a real golden era of Irish road racing and for me Ray McCullough and Tom Herron were the 2 best Irish riders I have ever watched at Dundrod. Tom Herron's death at the NW200 in 1979 was an event which I feel Irish road racing never really recovered from and to be honest I have not enjoyed Irish road racing as much since that day. During the period from 1978 to 1982 I did a bit of racing myself on TZ250 and TZ 350 Yamahas and had a ball of a time. In 1981, I finished 2nd in the Ulster Embassy short circuit championship, a series which was won by the late great Sam McClements riding a 1,000 Suzuki. I also competed in the Irish road races and a number of events in Scotland and England. Great fun. More recently, I have really enjoyed watching the GPs and the Lawson, Rainey, Schwantz, Doohan era was particualrly good.

This site is superb and thanks to all who make it so enjoyable on a bleak winter's night.

#224 themenace

themenace

• 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 23:38

Hi just recently found this forum brilliant how can it be so well hidden.
Any way spent many years watching racing then I started to mechanic for Ken Blake in the late 70s then started prody racing myself on a Jota its good to read about some of the old racers
some of the names i remember, mike james, dave railton, dennis McMillan, Andy key,nigel verity,pete ashbolt, alan batson, nick lynn, marek nofer, and many more that I cant remember names at the moment. and how could I not remember Greg Page

Edited by themenace, 15 January 2011 - 23:40.

#225 SMonty

SMonty

• 64 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 20:22

Hi everyone

My dad took me to my first race at the age of 7 to watch practice for the 1965 Ulster Grand Prix. I just cannot express in words the impact that first racing experience had on the rest of my life as I watched, listened and smelled the 350 GP bikes hurtling up through Jordan's Cross. The only rider I can specifically remember from that day was Jim Redman on the works Honda and for me he immediately became a god and his works Honda a gorgeous silver, gold and red jet projectile. The Ulster Grand Prixs which followed were really magical with Hailwood, Bryans, Ivy, Agostini and Read becoming my idols and the sounds particularly of those Honda sixes still makes the hairs stand on the back of my neck. The late 70s was also a real golden era of Irish road racing and for me Ray McCullough and Tom Herron were the 2 best Irish riders I have ever watched at Dundrod. Tom Herron's death at the NW200 in 1979 was an event which I feel Irish road racing never really recovered from and to be honest I have not enjoyed Irish road racing as much since that day. During the period from 1978 to 1982 I did a bit of racing myself on TZ250 and TZ 350 Yamahas and had a ball of a time. In 1981, I finished 2nd in the Ulster Embassy short circuit championship, a series which was won by the late great Sam McClements riding a 1,000 Suzuki. I also competed in the Irish road races and a number of events in Scotland and England. Great fun. More recently, I have really enjoyed watching the GPs and the Lawson, Rainey, Schwantz, Doohan era was particualrly good.

This site is superb and thanks to all who make it so enjoyable on a bleak winter's night.

Is that you J.E. ?

#226 TZ350H

TZ350H

• 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 21:02

Is that you J.E. ?

Yes. Steven M? Great site. Have spent many nostalgic and happy hours on this.

#227 britonbees

britonbees

• 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 13:44

Hello my name is Emmanuel "Bee" , i am the owner ,designer and builder of a small custom moped (not scooter) / small displacement motorcycle company called Briton Bees Motorcyclettes. I am based out of North Carolina , i eat , dream and live the two stroke life. Last year i built 26 custom mopeds /nopeds , Raced on a broken down Velodrome in Detroit , Raced at Maxton with the ECTA , drove across the United States to ride in 6 different cities.

Why am i here : because it is a natural progression to move to geared 50cc/70cc/80cc two stroke engines, and what better place to learn than from those who have paved and raced the roads before you.

Thank you

Emmanuel " Bee"

www.britonbees.com

#228 leet

leet

• 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 22:02

Hi,
Like others before me I have only just found this forum as a result of someone who works for me sticking my name in google.
I stated racing in the early seventies at Gaydon on a Seely TR2B where, in my first race, I had the distinction of being lapped by names such as Patrick, Burgan, Head, Scivyer, George, etc.
I've raced some lovely bikes (and some real pigs) and made, and sadly lost, some wonderful friends over a long period.
Favorite bike has got to be the Spondon TZ750 that I wish was still in the shed, it required very little maintenance, just jetting up rich, close your eyes and twist!
Favorite racer had got to be Dave East, we had just had a real battle in the opening unlimited race at Mallory when he edged me out for the win with his RG. Right after the race he comes up, not to gloat but to give me one of the 'new fangled' soft sidewall front KR124s telling me he saw how I was struggling under braking and how this tyre will cure it. Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth I fitted it and in the next race I passed him under braking for Gerrards (when it was still a proper corner) and went on to win. Dave came back over again afterwards and said 'told you so'! What a man, he also offered to rebuild my cranks for free as well. top bloke!
Off the top of my head the list of racers ridden includes, Seeley TR2B, TZ250A, Pinfold TZ350F, TZ750, Spondon TZ750, TZ250G, MT125, Spondon Yamaha Fll, TZ500 (reverse cylinder), Kerby Kawasaki 1000 (thanks Dave), TZ350G, Ex Loctite OW01, Speed Triple, 883 Sportster (champ 1995), Mk Vlll KTT Velo, and not to forget the WTF which was basically a 350 TZ that George Tomlin had converted to disc valve by means of a round the corner belt drive to feed carbs on the front crankcase. To give it its due it went like the wind but seized the same way, often!
Favorite circuit? impossible question - Mallory where I had my first win? Oulton (before the cicaines)? Cadwell full? Daytona, Keevil? Colerne? Sorry I couldn't begin to choose because so long as I was on a bike head down and arse in the air it didn't really matter.
I finally retired when I put Arnie Fletchers Speed Triple in the gravel at Mcleans in front of him. At the time my mind was elsewhere going through an horrendus divorce (sorry Arnie). I did have a couple of more runs out on Rob Lidgate's Mk VII KTT (another gentleman) but blew a fuse at thw VMCC meeting at Mallory when they announced that 'because of the puddle overtaking at Gerards will be banned today'. Icouldn't cope with that as the KTT was superb through there and follow my leader is not for me so I stormed off. Serves me right really as Rob was building his first Triple at the time and I waslooking forward to my first ride on a Rob North three! I have belatedly apologised to Rob but the ride on the triple will just have to sit up there with flying a spitfire.
Since I packed up I joined the Immigration Service then went on to with for the National Crime Squad which has become the outfit I work for now. Unfortunatley they have sent me over the edge (it used to be called a nervous breakdown) and I shall shortlybe bidding them farewell and trying to start up a business from home.
Other than the shower I work for life is good, I'm remarried to a wonderful lass 15 years younger than me and we have an eight year old son who has just bought himself a sailing dinghy because we moved to the Isle of Wight in August. As for adreneline, I am now a crew member of the Freshwater Independant Lifeboat (all donations gratefully accepted) so have to make do with blasting about at sea upwards of fourty knots!
If anyone is interested I can recount some tales of the unexpected!
Tim :confused: :eek: :stoned:

#229 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,391 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 23:01

Thanks for the short introduction , Tim :rolleyes: , but interesting , but please , tales are always worth reading !!! , so more , please :up:

#230 leet

leet

• 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 00:25

Thanks for the short introduction , Tim :rolleyes: , but interesting , but please , tales are always worth reading !!! , so more , please :up:

OK here's the first, beforeI ave to take a little break.
As a raw novice on my TR2B I went to an airfield circuit that was then caled Staverton (now the grandly titled Gloucester International Airport!) and sought out advice from my friend Les Burgan. For those of you who were unfortunate enough never to have met Les he was a cornishman from somewhere that sounded like Muzzel when he said it but I am assured it is actully spelt Mousehole! He had emigrated to Coventry and had quickly become very popular with all the local racers (and there were many back then), was game for anything and could ride a motorbike a bit too. Les was the sort of guy who made your face ache from laughing when you were in his company and the world was a less rich place when he passed on.
As an aside I bought my first TZ750 from him and, when I went to pick it up, the garage and van were empty because Les had taken it out on the road to 'make sure it was alright for you boy!'
At one point the track crossed what I seem to remember was the main runway just before a nice gravel covered hairpin and I was having trouble with the front wheel lifting over the hump unsettling the bike but backing off saw people like Les whizz past. Good as gold Les told me 'just pin him back boy and when the front wheel comes back to earth you hit the brakes, works a treat for me'.
Luckiy I was not out in the first 350 heat so I went to watch Les who was and, absolutely true to his word, he came barrelling up the straight at or near the front throttle nailed firmly to the stop. He crested the rise and the front wheel went up, as it hit the ground he hit the brakes , BANG, straight on his arse!
Come to think of it there's a lot more to come involving Les and his wicked sense of fun .....more later Tim

#231 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 885 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:59

Cracking start Leet,you'll take some catching now!

HW

#232 johnnyoza

johnnyoza

• 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 17:59

Hi everyone.Ex South african international speedway rider,Too many years of Motox,A few years of enduro racing.I now look after Ian Groats team incomplete celebity riders when they are out here in South Africa.
Posted Image

Edited by johnnyoza, 07 April 2011 - 17:20.

#233 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,391 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 19:34

Hi everyone.Ex South african international speedway rider,Too many years of Motox,A few years of enduro racing.I now look after Ian Groats team incomplete celebity riders when they are out here in South Africa.

Hi there Johnny and welcome to the forum :p , enjoy , and take part often :up: :wave:

#234 TonyDavis

TonyDavis

• 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 22:03

Hello Everyone

Started watching early 70s Mallory ROTY post TT Transatlantic etc, went on to do some of this
Posted Image
Posted Image
also did some of this
Posted Image
was never any good but loved it all the same

and now do mainly this
Posted Image
Posted Image

Great forum recognise quite a few on here, as you can see I'm a man of few words but many pictures :lol:

Thanks

Tony

#235 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 635 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 17:07

Hello and welcome Tony & Johnny, memories and photo's are always welcome here.

#236 drumwrecker

drumwrecker

• 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 18:11

Like others I stumbled across this brilliant forum and feel rather insignificant among you knowledgable folk.
Been riding bikes since I was eighteen owning anything from an ex PO Bantam to a 1948 Vincent Rapide. Marshalled at Brands in the 60's through the Greenwich MCC. Was lucky to get trackside passes for the GP's at Silverstone When Sheene and Roberts were riding.
Now riding a Yamaha TDM900a and still doing about 10000 mile pa at 70.

#237 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,391 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 20:51

Welcome to the forum , drumwrecker , glad to see your'e still riding , :up: hope you will stay with us for a good while , enjoying your posts/pics :wave:

#238 CaptainQualcast

CaptainQualcast

• 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 20:47

Well I seem to have found this by accident. Great reading about all the ex-racers and whats going on now. Be nice to find a few of the names I raced against.

Names John Horgan - I started racing in 1984 on a Vic Camp TS250 racing with Bemsee, Newmarket and the Bantam club.

Bought andy Angus's Championship winning YZ250 for next season and finished 3rd in championship behind Colin Belcher and Tony Green (I think).

Then on to FT500 (ex John Goff) and competed in National national formula singles championship.

Eventually bought Colin Breeze's Atom Suzuki before moving to TZ350.

Finished 14th in 1991 MGP Newcomers on a standard GPX600 then retired for the first time.

Second spell 2001-2005 on ZXR400 / RS125 / TZR250 Past masters with Bemsee.

Have just come back to the track again in 2011 on a CBR600 in Thunderbikes UK with Bemsee. Old enough to know better but young enough to still be bonkers :)

Hope tofind a few of the old crew on here - anyone know what happened to all the old singles guys? I know Vernon's been doing classic stuff, but anyone know aobut Colin Belcher, the Habels, Richmond Smith etc?

Cheers all - and stay safe.

#239 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,391 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:19

Welcome aboard , Captain :up: , hope you find your mates , and help keep the forum afloat ...................... :rolleyes: :wave:

Advertisement

#240 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 342 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 16:06

Hi there everyone, my name is Hamish Robson. I’m not an ex-racer or ex-mechanic, just someone who loves the sport and loves reading all these great threads.

I attended most TTs between 1995 and 2004 (then it started getting too expensive to hotel for a week with my wife) and got engaged on the Island. I was lucky enough to see Phil McCallen win 4 in a week, and (even better) the first time I ever went me and the boys headed straight to the beer tent behind the grandstand and were bought drinks by Joey! I was also privileged to see Yer Maun win many times, know the Island well and cherish all my memories of the place.

My other great race memory was being at that classic WSK finale at Imola when Edwards (Honda) and Bayliss (Ducati) battled it out in 2001 (I think?) – 150,000 screaming Italians and great racing.

I work at Quaife Engineering as a design engineer and, amongst other things, have worked closely with Mick Hemmings (lovely bloke) on the Norton 6-speed gearbox which he sells for us all over the world.

I ride a Kawazaki ZX-6R.

I usually post on the Nostalgia forum, but love reading this section.

All the best,

Hamish

#241 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,391 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 17:55

Hi , Hamish :wave: welcome to the old farts section :eek: , glad you enjoy , and feel free to take part :rolleyes: !!!

#242 k4racer

k4racer

• 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:24

Hi My name is martin hill, been around bikes most of my life apart from the usuall family distractions. Made a very un distinguished return to the track in the mid 90s on a k4 honda and a few years later adding a tz kindly loaned by its owner. I think i have read every page of the nostalgia forum before joining. quite frustrating as i could have answered many of the questions that cropped up. Eg around page 167 (origional forum) concerning the ryan crescent. I knew most of the riders, know the whereabouts of the monoshock one and still have one of the seely copy frames in my shed. At one time i had the whole thing but as only the half owner had to comply with the other part owners wish to flog it. Racing has given me many friends over the years lots of whom i have seen mentioned on this forum. This has to be the best bike forum on the internet, i just hope i can contribute something to it.

#243 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,241 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:11

I think i have read every page of the nostalgia forum before joining. quite frustrating as i could have answered many of the questions that cropped up.

Hello Martin and welcome. I've given you two stars for that.  ;)

#244 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,391 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:45

Hello Martin and welcome. I've given you two stars for that.  ;)

Yes , i'll second that , Martin , i'll give you a medal for endurance and fortitude :yawnface: :rolleyes: :wave:

#245 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 14:14

Hi My name is martin hill, been around bikes most of my life apart from the usuall family distractions. Made a very un distinguished return to the track in the mid 90s on a k4 honda and a few years later adding a tz kindly loaned by its owner. I think i have read every page of the nostalgia forum before joining. quite frustrating as i could have answered many of the questions that cropped up. Eg around page 167 (origional forum) concerning the ryan crescent. I knew most of the riders, know the whereabouts of the monoshock one and still have one of the seely copy frames in my shed. At one time i had the whole thing but as only the half owner had to comply with the other part owners wish to flog it. Racing has given me many friends over the years lots of whom i have seen mentioned on this forum. This has to be the best bike forum on the internet, i just hope i can contribute something to it.

Welcome to the Mad House ....... :stoned: :stoned: :rotfl: :lol: :wave: :wave: :rolleyes:

#246 dommieracer

dommieracer

• 216 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:05

Yep, i will er third, no fourth no agree with the afore mentioned.

Kevin

#247 k4racer

k4racer

• 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:34

Yep, i will er third, no fourth no agree with the afore mentioned.

Kevin

thanks guys, it really wasnt a chore, reading about my lifetime passion. (ive even read some of it twice)

#248 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 14:02

:wave:

i dont think most of my stuff makes sense the firstime round :drunk:

#249 lesgoose

lesgoose

• 15 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 19:58

Hi all first chance I have had to say hello.Been into motorcycles for years inevitable I suppose as my dad lived opposite the Padgett brothers and was mates with Pete as kids.In fact when they first started buying and selling bikes part time at first my dad was chrome plating and took parts to work with him and did them.He told a tale of when they were kids once having a wooden trolley (soap box) and having an old stove on the back going down a hill next to Lofthouse cemetry with this stove lit bellowing clouds of smoke behind them.Got my first bike at 16 a fizzy october 74 cost brand new with gloves,helmet and a years insurance £226 if only I knew then what they bring now.Dabbled with a TD1C yam for a bit then got into wine,women and the rest and bikes went to pot.Doing a Yam yz 250 project to turn into a race bike like the Barr yam so if any one has any info or photos it would be well appreciated.

#250 firthy69

firthy69

• 32 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:09

What a brilliant motorcycle racing forum this is ! Just had to join ! My name is Paul Firth, born 1961 and first got intereted in this wonderful sport in 1975, age 14 when Barry Sheenes daytona accident hit the news headlines. At age 16 I bought a suzuki AP50 sports moped (not a FSIE, had to suzuki like baz!) the type with the pedals 55mph !!! on a good day, this was followed at 17 by a brand new Kawasaki KH250 triple acquired 2 weeks before my birthday so I ran it in down the local pit stacks !!
I attended the famous 'sheene v roberts' 1979 british gp where I was fortunate enough to sit on bazza's suzuki about an hour before the race (courtesy of ken fletcher), this meeting also featured some filming for the david essex 'silver dream racer' film and I think roger marshall was riding the 'silver dream barton phoenix' and mick grant famously crashed the 4 stroke nr500 honda at the first corner. The usual marriage & kids period put bikes on the back burner for a while but I never lost touch with the scene. I briefly raced a kawasaki KR1-S in 2003, have done loads of trackdays on loads of different bikes and this year, 2011 I have done my first race season with the CRMC starting the season on a yamaha TZ350 (baptism of fire !) changing to a kawasaki GPZ750 (finances) and finished the season on a yamaha LC !!! I have acquired a very quick and well sorted yamaha YPVS for next season, which I intend to compete on for the next 2 seasons before going back to a yamaha TZ350 for a couple of seasons before retirement !!! Yes, I know, the best laid plans ..............#~^"*% and all that !!!