Photo

Introduce yourself! (merged)

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#251 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:25

hi paul, you cant beat a good kawa triple! did you fit allspeeds and have small dogs chase you also?

and silver dream racer, always remeber reg marshalls comments a few years later "do you know the film silver dream racer - thats where i got all my experience from"

how did you get on with the kr1s paul, i raced the kr1 a number of years ago.

Advertisement

#252 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:26

What a brilliant motorcycle racing forum this is ! Just had to join ! My name is Paul Firth, born 1961 and first got intereted in this wonderful sport in 1975, age 14 when Barry Sheenes daytona accident hit the news headlines. At age 16 I bought a suzuki AP50 sports moped (not a FSIE, had to suzuki like baz!) the type with the pedals 55mph !!! on a good day, this was followed at 17 by a brand new Kawasaki KH250 triple acquired 2 weeks before my birthday so I ran it in down the local pit stacks !!
I attended the famous 'sheene v roberts' 1979 british gp where I was fortunate enough to sit on bazza's suzuki about an hour before the race (courtesy of ken fletcher), this meeting also featured some filming for the david essex 'silver dream racer' film and I think roger marshall was riding the 'silver dream barton phoenix' and mick grant famously crashed the 4 stroke nr500 honda at the first corner. The usual marriage & kids period put bikes on the back burner for a while but I never lost touch with the scene. I briefly raced a kawasaki KR1-S in 2003, have done loads of trackdays on loads of different bikes and this year, 2011 I have done my first race season with the CRMC starting the season on a yamaha TZ350 (baptism of fire !) changing to a kawasaki GPZ750 (finances) and finished the season on a yamaha LC !!! I have acquired a very quick and well sorted yamaha YPVS for next season, which I intend to compete on for the next 2 seasons before going back to a yamaha TZ350 for a couple of seasons before retirement !!! Yes, I know, the best laid plans ..............#~^"*% and all that !!!

Hi Paul, welcome glad you enjoy the forum & all the best for your racing next year. :wave:

#253 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,485 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:02

Hi Paul, welcome glad you enjoy the forum & all the best for your racing next year. :wave:

Likewise , Paul :up: , sure to ' bump ' into you next season , probably did this year :rolleyes: , but , welcome :up: :wave:

#254 firthy69

firthy69

• 32 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 18:34

hi paul, you cant beat a good kawa triple! did you fit allspeeds and have small dogs chase you also?

and silver dream racer, always remeber reg marshalls comments a few years later "do you know the film silver dream racer - thats where i got all my experience from"

Yep the triple had allspeeds on, got chased by small dogs !, it also had one of those ugly FLF/ IAN DYSON kits on, remember them ?

#255 firthy69

firthy69

• 32 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 18:36

Cheers Graham ! I have always admired your wonderful photography

#256 firthy69

firthy69

• 32 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 18:39

Likewise , Paul :up: , sure to ' bump ' into you next season , probably did this year :rolleyes: , but , welcome :up: :wave:

Hi fil2.8 ! will you reveal your true identity or will it be a game of chess ? LOL :rotfl:

#257 firthy69

firthy69

• 32 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 18:43

Had set up issues at a couple of meeting with kr1-s, finally sorted it for a meeting at darley moor, practice went well, decent first race, 2nd race lumps of conrod came through the crankcase!! previous lap bike had never been as fast down the pope straight. What do they say about strokers just before they are about to seize ? LOL

#258 firthy69

firthy69

• 32 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 18:43

Had set up issues at a couple of meeting with kr1-s, finally sorted it for a meeting at darley moor, practice went well, decent first race, 2nd race lumps of conrod came through the crankcase!! previous lap bike had never been as fast down the pope straight. What do they say about strokers just before they are about to seize ? LOL

#259 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,485 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 19:02

Hi fil2.8 ! will you reveal your true identity or will it be a game of chess ? LOL :rotfl:

Your'e probably lucky you don't know me :blush: , just sent you friends request on FB :yawnface: :wave:

Advertisement

#260 firthy69

firthy69

• 32 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 19:04

How not to launch a TZ from the startline :| had qualified 8th in the wet for the acu uk post classic championship at anglesy international earlier this year and unfortunately got too giddy thinking about the possibility of prize money, silly me :rolleyes: check this out !!
http://www.youtube.c...u/1/sQQZ3UaYfew

#261 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 19:42

Blimey it was that Pete Howarth that took away your front wheel in my opinion!....just joking Pete! :rolleyes:

#262 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 19:46

Cheers Graham ! I have always admired your wonderful photography

Ta muchly & your very kind, I like you all ready! :wave:

#263 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,485 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 19:53

Ta muchly & your very kind, I like you all ready! :wave:

creep :rolleyes:

#264 firthy69

firthy69

• 32 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 20:23

What a brilliant motorcycle racing forum this is ! Just had to join ! My name is Paul Firth, born 1961 and first got intereted in this wonderful sport in 1975, age 14 when Barry Sheenes daytona accident hit the news headlines. At age 16 I bought a suzuki AP50 sports moped (not a FSIE, had to suzuki like baz!) the type with the pedals 55mph !!! on a good day, this was followed at 17 by a brand new Kawasaki KH250 triple acquired 2 weeks before my birthday so I ran it in down the local pit stacks !!
I attended the famous 'sheene v roberts' 1979 british gp where I was fortunate enough to sit on bazza's suzuki about an hour before the race (courtesy of ken fletcher), this meeting also featured some filming for the david essex 'silver dream racer' film and I think roger marshall was riding the 'silver dream barton phoenix' and mick grant famously crashed the 4 stroke nr500 honda at the first corner. The usual marriage & kids period put bikes on the back burner for a while but I never lost touch with the scene. I briefly raced a kawasaki KR1-S in 2003, have done loads of trackdays on loads of different bikes and this year, 2011 I have done my first race season with the CRMC starting the season on a yamaha TZ350 (baptism of fire !) changing to a kawasaki GPZ750 (finances) and finished the season on a yamaha LC !!! I have acquired a very quick and well sorted yamaha YPVS for next season, which I intend to compete on for the next 2 seasons before going back to a yamaha TZ350 for a couple of seasons before retirement !!! Yes, I know, the best laid plans ..............#~^"*% and all that !!!

#265 Sakkie

Sakkie

• 42 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 20:17

Hi, just want to say hallo. I´ve been lurking for some time, but just didn´t have the time to contribute. I officially became an old fart last week when I finally retired, so I hope I can add something to the forum.

I´m ex South African now living in Europe. Raced a bit in the late 60´s, 70´s and early 80´s locally, albeit with no great success, but I had a lot of fun and even competed in the same events (I´ll not claim to have raced against them :lol: ) as quite a few top class riders, South African as well as international stars who came to our shores to hone their skills before the European season.

I also had occasion to travel quite extensively in Europe on business, so was fortunate enough to have visited quite a few GP´s back in the day. :up:

#266 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 21:29

Welcome to you. :wave:

#267 Poulmba

Poulmba

• 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 17:55

Hey there one and all

I'm quite new to this site.
My name is Poul, I'm 33 and from Denmark (Zealand)..

My passion is old german cars and german/austrian bikes..
The old Daimler-Benz in the shed is my baby ^^

I guess i'm a moped-nerd..;)
I got a barn full of old mopeds and still like to ride them on the countryside..

I'm hoping to join ranks in the 50cc field on track in the near future..
The make i have put my trust in, is Sachs..

I have gotten myself 2 engines, (a 50/6a GS and a 50/6 SWD) and a bunch of stuff.
(the SWD is from a Hercules ultra RS Sachs Cup racer, with twin front diskbrake)
So I'm trying to find out the regulations and figuring out what frame I'm gonna use,
and so, turn it in to a bike and compete in the 50cc classic races.

(having never raced before, I'll appriciate any info/hints you guys can throw my way..

Happy to be here :D

"Volles Rööaa!!!"

#268 billlawrence

billlawrence

• 76 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:59

HI All my name is Martin (Bill) Lawrence first time I went to a bike race was 1961 at the old crystal palace rode my push bike across London from East Ham .That day changed my life this was something I wanted to do .First Motor Cycle was a 50cc Ducati from Ted Broad .Joined the Bantan Racing Club what a great club lots of fun hard racing but everyone would help each other I made life long friends there .First race was at Snetterton on my Yamaha yds2 rode the bike to Snetterton rode back to London on one cylinder as one piston had a hole in it but it was a start .Bikes raced yds2 Yamaha Bridgstone 350 bantam 125 Bultaco 250 Greves 250 Yamaha TZ Honda 125 Colin AldridgeF1 P& M Kawasaki I think I was his first sponsord rider (only becourse we both came from East Ham).In 1982 I emigrated to Perth West Australia didnt ride a bike again for about ten years .Got marryried to Joan who,s Farther and brother Eric and Ron Nicoll where the top sidecar racers in WA .I now have a rode bike a Suzuki gsx1400 and Joan has a

#269 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 263 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 15:37

HI All my name is Martin (Bill) Lawrence first time I went to a bike race was 1961 at the old crystal palace rode my push bike across London from East Ham .That day changed my life this was something I wanted to do .First Motor Cycle was a 50cc Ducati from Ted Broad .Joined the Bantan Racing Club what a great club lots of fun hard racing but everyone would help each other I made life long friends there .First race was at Snetterton on my Yamaha yds2 rode the bike to Snetterton rode back to London on one cylinder as one piston had a hole in it but it was a start .Bikes raced yds2 Yamaha Bridgstone 350 bantam 125 Bultaco 250 Greves 250 Yamaha TZ Honda 125 Colin AldridgeF1 P& M Kawasaki I think I was his first sponsord rider (only becourse we both came from East Ham).In 1982 I emigrated to Perth West Australia didnt ride a bike again for about ten years .Got marryried to Joan who,s Farther and brother Eric and Ron Nicoll where the top sidecar racers in WA .I now have a rode bike a Suzuki gsx1400 and Joan has a

Hi Bill, long time no see ! Just got back from MGP, saw Tom Miller amongst others.
I remember you well, i think you did MGP late 70's ? Did you stay at Palatine with me, Niffy, Colin etc ?
They were good days mate.
Regards Mick Robbo

#270 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 16:09

Welcome Bill, love the visor decoration on this one!

Posted Image

#271 billlawrence

billlawrence

• 76 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:50

Hi Bill, long time no see ! Just got back from MGP, saw Tom Miller amongst others.
I remember you well, i think you did MGP late 70's ? Did you stay at Palatine with me, Niffy, Colin etc ?
They were good days mate.
Regards Mick Robbo

G,Day Mick yes I remember you well all that time chasing you and Ivor Morgan around Lydden could never say with you used to drive me mad .Yer remember the Palatine great times as you say with Colin Niffy and Rex all gone now how sad .I did two Manx G.P and a few TTs .We have a nice track in WA Wannerroo and I go a few times a year and a bit of speedway at a very small track at Pinjar just out of Perth a good Saturday night at the bar .We go to the GP at Sepang every year so I keep in touch with the sport .
Bill

#272 billlawrence

billlawrence

• 76 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:01

Welcome Bill, love the visor decoration on this one!

Posted Image

Yes I remember that one first lap of practise I went out like a fool and went down at bottom bend That wasnt the only time I fell of that day in the race I fell down at druids but managed to finnish 2nd in a very wet race .
PS I know I fell of a lot but you must have a Photo of me on a bike .
Regards Bill Lawrence

#273 GD66

GD66

• 2,179 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:12

Bill, if you're down at Collie for the Historic club's October meeting drop up to the box and say hi, I will be the MA Steward that day. I was down there yesterday as Clerk of Course and the new Period 6 is taking off, there were 5 RGV250s out. Also if you fancy a gallop the Saturday of each HCMC Collie race weekend is a practice/ride/tuning day, normally with a streetbike class, so turn up in full protective gear and you can get a day licence and get five or six sessions for $80, or $50 after 1pm. And just honk round at your own speed... :wave:

Regards GD

#274 billlawrence

billlawrence

• 76 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:19

Bill, if you're down at Collie for the Historic club's October meeting drop up to the box and say hi, I will be the MA Steward that day. I was down there yesterday as Clerk of Course and the new Period 6 is taking off, there were 5 RGV250s out. Also if you fancy a gallop the Saturday of each HCMC Collie race weekend is a practice/ride/tuning day, normally with a streetbike class, so turn up in full protective gear and you can get a day licence and get five or six sessions for $80, or $50 after 1pm. And just honk round at your own speed... :wave:

Regards GD

OK Mate I will think about it been down to Collie a few times nice kittle track .will look you up if I get down there .
Regards Bill

#275 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 21:46

Yes I remember that one first lap of practise I went out like a fool and went down at bottom bend That wasnt the only time I fell of that day in the race I fell down at druids but managed to finnish 2nd in a very wet race .
PS I know I fell of a lot but you must have a Photo of me on a bike .
Regards Bill Lawrence

A couple,

Posted Image

Posted Image

#276 PaulMar

PaulMar

• 36 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 23:19

Hi everyone

:wave:

I have to admit that I have been observing/eavesdropping on this forum for quite some time and have found the content thoroughly enjoyable, extremely interesting and most informative. Recent retirement from the race up the greasy pole and the recent loss of a great motorcycling friend has convinced me that life is too short and I should break cover.

Starting in the late 1960s I enjoyed over 15, relatively talent free, years in club and national road racing, during which I had the pleasure of meeting a great many talented and generous, individuals on and off the track. After trying my hand at the Southern 100 I developed a love of real road racing, managing to afford my first Manx Grand Prix in 1975, entering every year until my bank manager suggested I retire from racing in 1983.

I also had the great privilege of working for Terry Shepherd in the 1970s and collaborating with him on a number of projects, while running my own racing spares business, in the early 1980s. During this time I had the pleasure of riding a mix of 2 stroke & 4 stroke machines including the Shepherd cast aluminium & magnesium monocoque chassis with TZ and water cooled Shepherd Suzuki engines.

After my last MGP I ended up with a "proper job" and lost touch with bikes having become an engineering salesman, which by the late 1980s was involving a lot of overseas travel. In recent years my business travel reduced and I once again started following bike racing as a spectator.

Well that's me, in brief, for what it is worth and it's nice to be home.

Paul Martin

p.s. I know it has been said before but, as far as I am concerned, this is the best bike forum on the internet net and I hope I can contribute in some small way in the future.

#277 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 23:24

Nice one Paul. Welcome. :up:

#278 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,485 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 22:37

Nice one Paul. Welcome. :up:

Quite , look forward to your posts :wave:

#279 quack

quack

• 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 21:57

hi i am new to this forum, i have used the name quack this might give a clue to my real name,i have raced with bmcrc in 1970 i remember a 350 elgar honda,who or what was elgar and was dereck head the rider many thanks quack

Advertisement

#280 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:14

I am going to be thinking about possible names all night now!

Welcome to you, dont know the answer to your question, Tony probably will though? :wave:

#281 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,674 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:17

Yes, welcome quack, a bit cryptic if I may say so.

Are you Vin Duckett by any chance? That's the only connection I can think of. :confused:

#282 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:24

Blimey thats good Mick!!

#283 quack

quack

• 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:25

Yes, welcome quack, a bit cryptic if I may say so.

Are you Vin Duckett by any chance? That's the only connection I can think of. :confused:

no not vin duckett

#284 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:25

Ah! not so good Mick!....... :rotfl:

#285 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,674 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:26

no not vin duckett

Ah, it was the wildest shot in the dark. Any clues?

I must dust off the old deerstalker.

#286 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:29

Michael Bird?

Edited by picblanc, 18 February 2013 - 23:30.

#287 dixie

dixie

• 65 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:32

hi i am new to this forum, i have used the name quack this might give a clue to my real name,i have raced with bmcrc in 1970 i remember a 350 elgar honda,who or what was elgar and was dereck head the rider many thanks quack

Charlie Drake?

#288 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:38

Charlie Drake?

I nearly killed him in Streatham high road he walked right in front of my truck just missed him pewww! true though. :D

#289 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:52

I have John H Riley on both Elgar Aermacchi and Elgar Honda at BMCRC meetings in 1969 and 1970.

I see no link from the programe entries with Dereck Head from Horsham who seems to be riding a 650 Triton and a 250 Starmaker Special and brother Terry on a 499 BSA around this era, so the link with Elgar remains an 'enigma'.

Edited by tonyed, 19 February 2013 - 09:02.

#290 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,485 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 13:24

Charlie Drake?

I was thinking Arthur Mullard ..............................I know it should be a 'a' not a 'u' :p

#291 Robin127

Robin127

• 378 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 13:34

I have John H Riley on both Elgar Aermacchi and Elgar Honda at BMCRC meetings in 1969 and 1970.

I see no link from the programe entries with Dereck Head from Horsham who seems to be riding a 650 Triton and a 250 Starmaker Special and brother Terry on a 499 BSA around this era, so the link with Elgar remains an 'enigma'.

Around about this time I recall one of them taking over the others bikes(s) when the other was injured, can't remember whether it was John Riley taking over from Derek Head or the other way round.

#292 quack

quack

• 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 16:55

Around about this time I recall one of them taking over the others bikes(s) when the other was injured, can't remember whether it was John Riley taking over from Derek Head or the other way round.

thanks for the imformation,i have always wonderd about the elgar name after watching the honda dicing for the lead round paddock bend at brands i realised i would never make racer

#293 Glenn747

Glenn747

• 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:31

Hello all,

Well, I'm now 46 years old but I was amazed to see some of my boyhood heroes posting on here & the memories have melted away the years. I could lament on the present state of motorcycle Grand Prix racing compared to 'back in the day' but I won't: I'll just enjoy reading &, hopefully, contributing to this wonderful site. :wave:

Edited by Glenn747, 16 March 2013 - 10:32.

#294 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:00

Hi Glenn, welcome. :wave:

#295 Adrian Godden

Adrian Godden

• 171 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 19:34

Hi Glenn, welcome. :wave:

...Hi all..I'm looking for Graham (Picblanc)...could anybody pass a message to him about a video.

Adrian Godden

#296 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 20:33

Hi Adrian, I am here mate, just my Father in Law is dying (he is in a coma now) & not had much chance to answer you or find tape at the mo, but I can return it no worries mate, PM me your address & I will send it back soon as I can?
Hope your OK matey?
G.

#297 Adrian Godden

Adrian Godden

• 171 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 20:36

Hi Adrian, I am here mate, just my Father in Law is dying (he is in a coma now) & not had much chance to answer you or find tape at the mo, but I can return it no worries mate, PM me your address & I will send it back soon as I can?
Hope your OK matey?
G.

........Hi Graham...no problem. You need time.
Return when poss' to;
A.Godden (FIT)
21 DUKE STREET
SETTLE
NORTH YORKSHITE
BD24 9DJ
...if you're ever able to place it on DVD - let me know how much.

Adie & Karen

#298 John33

John33

• 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:23

Hi everyone my name is John McComisky (44) from Scotland, just joined the forum but have been interested in a lot of the posts about racing in the 70's to 90's. Spent some time racing locally and very poorly at the Manx and Ulster and combined that with writing for various publications a good few years back. Think the forum is an incredible resource and a place for info and amazing to hear the tales of racing from everyone. I am hoping to compile some research on pure roads circuits and the privateers who raced them as the internet is actually a bit limited, have lost a fair amount of my printed work and hope that some of you could help me recover some of the pieces I wrote in BSN blast from the past features ages ago. Would love to be able to transcribe some of them again. Features I am looking for are Donnie McLeod, Bob McIntyre, Geoff Duke, Jock Taylor, Armstrong race bikes and a test done on a Petty Manx ridden by Wattie Brown. Would be amazing to re quaint myself with some of those. All the very best.

John

#299 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,485 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 16:36

Hi everyone my name is John McComisky (44) from Scotland, just joined the forum but have been interested in a lot of the posts about racing in the 70's to 90's. Spent some time racing locally and very poorly at the Manx and Ulster and combined that with writing for various publications a good few years back. Think the forum is an incredible resource and a place for info and amazing to hear the tales of racing from everyone. I am hoping to compile some research on pure roads circuits and the privateers who raced them as the internet is actually a bit limited, have lost a fair amount of my printed work and hope that some of you could help me recover some of the pieces I wrote in BSN blast from the past features ages ago. Would love to be able to transcribe some of them again. Features I am looking for are Donnie McLeod, Bob McIntyre, Geoff Duke, Jock Taylor, Armstrong race bikes and a test done on a Petty Manx ridden by Wattie Brown. Would be amazing to re quaint myself with some of those. All the very best.

John

Hi , John , a warm welcome to the forum and we will all look forward to your contributions , i'm sorry the forum is a bit quiet at the mo , but welcome :wave:

Advertisement

#300 John33

John33

• 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 18:18

Hi , John , a warm welcome to the forum and we will all look forward to your contributions , i'm sorry the forum is a bit quiet at the mo , but welcome :wave:

Thank you very much, awfy nice of you to say hello, hello back mate. :wave: