Introduce yourself! (merged)

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#301 prseagerthomas

prseagerthomas

• 13 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 17:59

Hello to all.

My name is Peter Seager-Thomas, more 4 wheel orientated, I nevertheless still have a couple of BSAs in the garage, rather less than once upon a time.

I doubt I'll ride again unless it was perhaps something pre-great war perhaps, but am still delighted to bury myself in research.

I'm one of those winging sods who gets the hump seeing incorrect information published over and over again, and thus am these days spending a lot of time endeavouring to compile accurate histories on the two racing BSAs I have, and the V12 Delages which I don't.....

Peter.

Advertisement

#302 BobGun

BobGun

• 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:45

Greetings all, Bob Guntrip here, late of Oxford, London and selected bits of Sydney. Mine was an underprivileged childhood, held under the iron rule of parents who spent years trying to persuade me that scrambles [sic], observed trials and the odd Stokenchurch grass track were all there was to motorcycle sport. Once only, as the '50s became the '60s, do I recall being taken to Silverstone to see a fearsome red and silver device growling lustily on the rise to Abbey Curve. We returned briskly to our more typical diet, but the worst was over. March 1967 and that's me, a fresh 16-year-old coming to terms with the raw power of my new 79cc Suzuki K10 while on the way to Mallory Park where it snowed and my hero John Blanchard did the flying starfish and broke a collarbone in, I do believe, the 350 final; where I saw SMBH take one of his last rides on the R173 Honda. There was no going back now.

I've enjoyed the forums enormously, boys and girls, particularly the canter through 1949 to 1968. So thanks for much pleasure, and I'm hoping for much more of the same. Particular reference here to the late Terry Shepherd - what a delight, what a magnificent fella he was, for the comparatively short time he was here.

#303 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,505 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 17:10

Welcome Bob, nice resume. :wave:

#304 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,142 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 19:28

perxactly , welcome , Bob  :up:   :wave:

#305 BobGun

BobGun

• 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:05

Thanks!

#306 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 997 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 18:06

Yes, welcome Bob - you'll enjoy it here!

#307 arsey30

arsey30

• 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:52

Hello,

My name is Dave Williams and I started riding in 1961 and have not been without a bike since.

Rode British for 25 years, Italian for 7, then Japanese  [Honda] for 18. Have been running VFR400 for the last 3.

Always been a keen bike racing spectator but since going to the Manx and TT in the early 1960s, road racing has been my main interest, [NW200, Ulster GP, Manx, TT]

Went to the classic TT with a few friends this year and 2 of us are booked for next year.

#308 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,142 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:28

welcome to the forum , Dave  :up:  , hope you don't get to ' arsey ' ....................... :p   :wave:

#309 arsey30

arsey30

• 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 20:07

No, I don't get too  arsey  but I do have too many  arsey 30s.

me_zps60a54bd0.jpg

#310 arsey30

arsey30

• 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 20:12

Too many bikes.

4bare_1_zps91a202a1.jpg

#311 man235

man235

• 8 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:58

Hi all,
my name is Manuel, from Italy. I never raced or had experience in the races background, but I am a nostalgic fan of the two-stroke era in the motorcycle racing. In particular, as hobby I'm collecting photos of the riders (expecially privateer riders) of the 500cc class in years from 1992 to 1996. I think my interest in these years is due to the fact that these are the years when I was kid  :) . Anyway also the material and photos concerning older times on this forum is beautiful, even if I was too young unfortunately to have a specific competence, I look at it with a lot of interest.
I hope my english is decent enough..
best regards all,

Manuel

#312 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,505 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:03

Hi all,
my name is Manuel, from Italy. I never raced or had experience in the races background, but I am a nostalgic fan of the two-stroke era in the motorcycle racing. In particular, as hobby I'm collecting photos of the riders (expecially privateer riders) of the 500cc class in years from 1992 to 1996. I think my interest in these years is due to the fact that these are the years when I was kid  :) . Anyway also the material and photos concerning older times on this forum is beautiful, even if I was too young unfortunately to have a specific competence, I look at it with a lot of interest.
I hope my english is decent enough..
best regards all,

Manuel

Hi Manuel, welcome, your English is very good. :wave:

#313 man235

man235

• 8 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 14:21

Hi Picblanc, thanks :)

#314 passenger313

passenger313

• 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 17:32

Hi All,

Just a short introductory note. My name is Mick Turner, recently retired I'm glad to say. I started racing as a grass track passenger but when methanol doubled in price we went road racing, it was a lot cheaper. I eventually had a go at racing solo's in my mid 30's, too old to be any good but somebody has to make the numbers up. I thoroughly enjoyed a few years club racing lightweights, a lot of fun & a lot wonderful people in the paddock & on the track. These days I try to help out in the clubs I have joined.

I should like to say a big thank you to all the guys running forums, what would we do without them.

Regards to all,

Mick

#315 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,142 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 19:40

Welcome , Mick  :up: , look forward to your input  :wave:

#316 Revetts

Revetts

• 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 15:31

Hello!  I found this forum while looking for a related subject, liked what I saw, so joined. My name is David Cracknell. I raced with reasonable success between 1973 & 1979 on a home built Formula Bantam or a Honda MT125R2, very kindly sponsored by Geoff Revett (Revetts of Ipswich,m/c dealers) Clubs I raced with included The Bantam Racing Club, The British Formula  Racing Club,Racing 50 Motorcycle Club, Newmarket & District Motorcycle & Light Car Club.  Also did a few Nationals, Snetterton Combine etc. I still have a Honda 125 MT . Take a look at post 347 in 1970's British Clubmans Racing section. Thanks to everyone for their input. Just love it!!! All the best, David.

#317 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,505 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 17:40

Hi David, saw your MT lovely little thing, fil2.8 (Phil) has one the ex Duckhams bike, Rod Scivyer had a run out on it last year.

Welcome & look forward to your postings.

Graham Etheridge.

#318 s14200sx

s14200sx

• 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:35

Hi Wesley Le Roux here from sunny South Africa.

Avid fan of motorsports in all forms. unfortunately i missed the real racing on the times in KZN, but pay homage to the pros and dearly departed.

Billy Scheepers is the father of my best friend William whom I've known over 20 years already.

Billy passed away on New years morning from a heart attack but at 73 had lived a full life and ran his workshop in Durban until the very end.

He was instrumental in many peoples lives imparting pearls of wisdom in what I'm sure to him was just a simple overview of the task or problem at hand.

He raced a Norton and moved on to cars racing Mc Nicols Mclaren M10B and many other well known cars.

As my inspiration for joining this form I plan to host a tribute to Billy Scheepers at The Roy Hesketh circuit in Pietermaritzburg on the 15 February 2014.

I would like to extend an invite to all, also a request that if anyone has owns or knows where any of his cars or bikes are, that you please advise as I would like to build a display area to showcase the days of thunder, when driving was all about driving...

Going to just enjoy a day out on the track where many memories were made with friends and family...

Wesley Le Roux

buzzwes@gmail.com

#319 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,505 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 17:32

Good luck with it Wesley.

Advertisement

#320 CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

• 30 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:40

Hi all........Steve Farley, 51yrs young, born within shouting (hearing??) distance of Olivers Mount!!!
Had to join forum after Googling Graham Crosby to double check year of my 1st visit to "the Mount" (79).
Somehow I got away with it....... Moped (Casal) on the road at 15, 250 at 16 (Benelli 2c)!!!! Unbelievabley I actually got knocked of the Benelli on my 17th birthday..........(1st legal day) following a police car!!!! Car at junction saw the gap behind police car..... didn't see me!!!!
Loads of bikes since.......singles/twins/triples.......2stroke/4stroke.
1st time?? Croft, Boxing Day 1977?? (Sheene was there), but the bug bit BIG TIME Sept79.... my 1st visit to the Mount!!!!
No bike at the moment.......tho I have access to my Sons bike (SV1000.....) so still "get my leg over" quite regulary!!!
Intending to put more onto the Olivers Mount forum........... Steve F

#321 Borderraider

Borderraider

• 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 13:05

Hi All, Colin Watson from Geordieland, raced mainly unlimited production with the odd CBR600 dabble over the 80's & 90's

Still riding sedately (nothings changed)  on a TDM 900 & Fazer 1000

#322 Hse289

Hse289

• 580 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:58

Hello, I usually post on the Nostalgia Forum. My interest is fifties and sixties motor racing and in particular Ken Miles. I understand Miles race motorcycles so would like to find out more.

Paul

#323 Bobster

Bobster

• 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:18

Hi All, the names Rob (now aka Bobster) - have been interested in this website for a while now. Am 45 yrs old and live in Durban, South Africa. Love dual sport biking. One of the reasons I'm so interested is because I have been trying to glean some info about my uncle, Graham Smith, Rhodesian resident at the time, who raced motorcycles in the early 60's in the 500cc category in the world championships. I don't think he was very successful in terms of placings in the races he rode in. I do, however, know that he rode for Reg Dearden on the Manx Norton at the time. I know he was one of the team in April 1961 who tried, on the Norton, to break the 12/24 hour 100mph record at Montlhery Speedbowl and the record attempt came to an end when he was on the circuit with a broken hairpin valve. Other riders on that team that I know about were Jacques Insermini, Eddie Crooks, Keith Terretta and Peter Bettison (Graham, I think, was a late replacement for Mike Brookes).

I know, through my dad (Ian Smith), and having had the privilege to meet some of them, that some of the chaps who were riding out of Rhodesia at that stage were Tommy & Sean Robinson, Gordon Keith, Alan Harris, to name just a few.

If anyone has any info/pics that may relate to Graham, I would be ecstatic. Graham unfortunately passed away a few years ago in Natal, South Africa, on his motorcycle... sounds corny but I know that was the way, I'm sure, he would have preferred to go.   Thanks and regards to all...