1980 Cosworth DFV engines

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 343 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 17:41

Hi all :).

I'm looking for information on the DFV engines used by the WDC teams in 1980. I have them at around 485 HP @ 10,750 rpm, but I would like to know who maintained them and if there were notable differences in performance between the eventual tuners. Did McLaren Engines USA tune the McLaren ones for instance ? Did Osella tune its engines as they liked to do ? Were most DFVs of the top teams tuned and rebuilt by Cosworth ? I guess it was the case for Williams via the Leyland connection - but what about the others ? And what about the smaller teams such as RAM Racing, Ensign, ATS ?

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement

#2 alansart

alansart

• 4,046 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 17:45

Didn't John Nicholson build McLaren engines at one time?

#3 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 18:22

The names Heini Mader and Langford & Peck spring to mind. But I am not sure if that was for F1 DFVs or for F3000

#4 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 18:36

Didn't John Nicholson build McLaren engines at one time?

They formed a company for that very purpose, Nicholson McLaren Engines. Very good engines, but I think the main experimentation was in shorter stroke and different cam profiles. McLaren DFVs were reckoned to be about the best, but I can't recall seeing outputs quoted.

#5 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 343 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 18:36

Yes the names Nicholson, Mader, L&P, Swindon spring to mind but I find information on F1 surprisingly hard to find. March Engines also at one time tuned F1 DFVs, with G√ľnther Schmidt from ATS involved in that business. Hesketh did it too. And what about John Judd's MRD concern ? Brian Hart ? Alan Smith ?

#6 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 18:42

I'm struggling to remember, but I think that Judd, Nicholson McLaren and Hesketh were the first three Cosworth licencees.

#7 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 1,991 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 20:39

I'm struggling to remember, but I think that Judd, Nicholson McLaren and Hesketh were the first three Cosworth licencees.

I though Osella only did BMW F2 units, not DFVs? I understood his DFVs were Maders or Judds? I may well be wrong on that though.

#8 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 20:40

The names Heini Mader and Langford & Peck spring to mind. But I am not sure if that was for F1 DFVs or for F3000

Dick Langford is preparing them to this day; one powered the ex-Ronnie Peterson March 761 to victory at Donington in the hands of Katsu Kubota the weekend before last.