Photo

Jordan King - an A.C. Bristoleer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:02

For years I have been interested in the 1950/60s US road racing scene. The first foreign mag I subscribed to was Sports Car Graphic. Autosport took regular reports from Ruth Sands Bentley and it was these that sparked my interest. However many drivers were only names to me.

One such was Jordan King. If Hollywood was looking for a racing driver's name they probably would have come up with Jordan King! He raced an AC Bristol and these forerunners to the mighty Cobras could often give the Corvette drivers a hard time. King had a go with a F.Junior then seemed to disappear. As usual it is time to rely on Willem and Jerry and our TNFers across the pond to expand our knowledge in the UK. Thanks in advance.

John

Advertisement

#2 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:36

John:
Ruth is still around, living in New York City. She mostly covered East Coast events for Autosport, but I am afraid that Jordan King is not a name I am familiar with. Any particular race and year you can remember for him?

Your buddies Willem and Jerry

#3 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:49

Slightly o/t, and I apologise for that, but I spotted this vehicle behind the pits at the recent Masters meeting at Donington Park, and photographed it as it was so striking. I seem to recall it was badged as a Bristol, but is it an AC Bristol?

Posted Image
By giraffe138

#4 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 14:06

The Arnolt badge should give a clue

#5 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 17:20

The Arnolt badge should give a clue

Thankyou David; I am not familiar with Arnolt and being in a hurry, only checked the car's ID by glancing at the tax disc. I should know what an AC looks like.
Apologies for disturbing this thread. :blush:

#6 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:39

Posted Image
Ed Rahal second from left with Arnolt-Bristols
Here are a trio of Arnolt-Bristols, they are the Savannah Sports Car Clubs race machines.

Giraffe: Very nice picture. You are never a disturbance.

photo Ed Rahal collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 24 May 2009 - 03:40.

#7 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:19

Jordan L. King was apparently from Poughkeepsie, NY

Some results here:

http://www.oldracing...s... King (USA)

Photo here:

http://www.racingspo...-09-20c-246.jpg

Vince H.

#8 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:51

Vince

Thanks for info. The yellow AC-Bristol looks a real "war-horse" with the scars to show. Unlike the restored "pristine" historic racers of today back in the the Fifties many racing cars were tatty. Mind you King could have taken a brush to those wire wheels!!

Although Jordan King was not one of the top AC-Bristoliers he was always pushing.

In 1960 he was entered in the big F.Junior race The Vanderbilt Cup (19 June) but did not feature in the results but there is a photo of him in Sports Car p19, August 1960, dicing with George Constantine (Wainer) in his Gemini Mk 2 at Lime Rock (2 July).

The car looks little used and I think Jordan probably disposed of it soon after when in F.Junior it became obvious that "rear-engine" was the way to go.

John