Photo

JV wants to return to F1 (merged)

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#1 dgduris

dgduris

• 251 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 13:06

While I wouldn't mind the return of JPM, the return of JV would certainly end any argument that F1 remains the world's premier race series - as if the budget cap and resulting removal of the sport from the leading edge of automotive technology doesn't already accomplish that end quite well.

Advertisement

#2 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,770 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 13:12

i'd LOVE to see monty come back but yeah, JV's past his best now i think.

#3 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 13:38

interesting that this thread starts out as a comparison between JPM and JV

#4 sreevishnu

sreevishnu

• 1,514 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 13:42

why dont JV stop talking this BS about returning to F1!!
he had his days and has lost his mojo ever since, perhaps he should consider singing and making albums more than F1.

#5 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 13:43

Even a Nigel Mansell comeback would be more useful and interesting.

#6 kNt

kNt

• 1,695 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 13:45

If he wants to he can buy into a team, he should have quite something left considering he earned a lot from BAR. No compared to the budget-restricted teams budgets this would be significant money.

#7 dgduris

dgduris

• 251 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 13:48

@"G&V" - no derision meant towards JV. Hell, the team he started has had a storybook start to the season. No wonder he is interested in returning. But he is a bit of a whinger - isn't he.

@giacomo - brilliant!

#8 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 13:49

Quote, link, source, anything? :confused:

#9 kNt

kNt

• 1,695 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 13:50

http://www.autosport...ne.php/id/75508

#10 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 13:54

http://www.autosport...ne.php/id/75508

ahh thanks! Keep missing those since they're moved away from the F1-homepage. :blush:

#11 brabhamBT19

brabhamBT19

• 1,399 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 13:55

monty wouldnt fit he is too fat.

JV would at least fit

#12 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 1,093 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:03

Short memories here!

JV is an excellent driver, but sadly not when he's in a poor car.

JV & JPM are both big characters though. The paddock is a sadder place without them.

#13 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,256 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:07

JV technically is a hard driver to engineer for as he has some unique requirements with regards to the cars setup that is not necessarily what the engineers think is the fastest way. Saying that he would probably be much better suited to these current regulations. I would love to see him back in F1

#14 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:08

If he can land himself a seat, more power to him. Personally, I don't think he'd do very well but I would hope he'd be competitve at least.

#15 riano

riano

• 51 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:17

ive never figured out why there are so many JV haters out there, clearly he is an excellent driver with one of the best CV's of any driver over the past 20 years but apparently this isnt good enough for some "internet experts" and people who only ever saw him in the last few years of his F! career, when admittedly, he didnt perform very well.

he stated way back in 1998 as soon as the rules were changed that narrowed cars and introduced grooved tyres amongst other things that the cars were awful to drive compared to the 97 and other F1 cars he had driven and didnt suit his driving style at all.

the article says that Jock Clear says the new rules would suit as (as the cars are more like they were pre 98, more mechanical grip/less aero) and he doesnt categorically state he wants to come back just that if it was offered to him that he would be a fool to say no!people should really read the full article before they make themselves look stupid and also have a look at JV's CV=when the likes of Hamilton is proclaimed as a racing god when he doesnt have 9 tenths of the achievements JV does!!!

#16 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:18

the return of JV would certainly end any argument that F1 remains the world's premier race series

First I thought JV means Jos Verstappen...

#17 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:19

and what if JV came back and kicked ass in one of the new teams.. ? he was actually giving Heidfeld a run for his money before he left in 06.

#18 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:22

A nice JV thread is always good for distracting attention from the Hamilton and Alonso ones :lol:

There are going to be plenty of new drives available if Max's excellent plan comes to fruition and why not JV? Well, one reason is that there are a queue of capable third drivers out there all looking for seats and deserve a break. Good luck to JV. A team which needs an old hand to compliment a young Turk could do far far worse.

#19 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:23

JV is dreaming. There is no chance a team would take a punt on him now.

He'll be nearly 39 by the time next year's season starts, and hasn't won an F1 race since 1997.

That is a very long time ago.

Advertisement

#20 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:24

First I thought JV means Jos Verstappen...

Would there be a difference in using either of them?

Yes, Jos would ask for considerably less money and whinge less.

#21 Nuvol

Nuvol

• 654 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:41

Bring Montoya too, we need some whiners here.

Connie :love:

Edited by Nuvol, 22 May 2009 - 14:41.

#22 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,341 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:43

That would be cool if JV came back

Again

Edited by Hacklerf, 22 May 2009 - 14:43.

#23 Ferrari shambles

Ferrari shambles

• 49 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:51

Good news :p Stick him in the second FIAT he would be more entertainig and better value for money than Kimi. :wave:

#24 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 844 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 14:52

Yeah, he and his buddy Craig should buy a team, fire all the people who knew what they were doing, and go racing. Oh, wait. That's been done. JV is trying to get himself and his baggy firesuit into the news - he must feel like he's not getting enough attention.

#25 riano

riano

• 51 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:00

Yeah, he and his buddy Craig should buy a team, fire all the people who knew what they were doing, and go racing. Oh, wait. That's been done. JV is trying to get himself and his baggy firesuit into the news - he must feel like he's not getting enough attention.

are you for real "fire all the people who knew what they were dong".... would this be the massively successful Tyrrel team that your taking about?who in the modern era were ALWAYS at the back, usually worse than the minardi's and in the 98 season actually didnt qualify quite a few times because their car/drivers were so slow...yeah was a real mistake to fire the people in that team :)

JV took a gamble, he was with Williams who at the time where going nowhere fast so he took a chance, it didnt work out but so what at least he had the guts to do something different and try to create a team that could challenge for victories instead of the trundling around in midfield it would have been otherwise with Williams.

same can be said for Montoya-at least he cared enough not to want to have 5th or 6th place finishes to aim for-F1 NEEDS people like JV and JPM back!

#26 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,645 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:03

@"G&V" - no derision meant towards JV. Hell, the team he started has had a storybook start to the season. No wonder he is interested in returning. But he is a bit of a whinger - isn't he.

@giacomo - brilliant!

The team he started. :rotfl:

#27 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:04

J Villeneuve, would that be Jeramiah Villeneuve.

#28 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:10

Autosport.com's article isn't finished. The last paragraph is:

"There is a little bit of pride there, and it shows that it wasn't a bad project in the long run. But there is a little bit

The original interview was published here: http://www.motorspor...n_09052131.html and it's exactly the last two scentences that I found funny:
"On the other hand there is a little bitter aspect (of Brawn GP's success to JV). Other people harvest the fruits of what I sowed. But that's life"

Nice to see JV didn't lose his overinflated ego. :rotfl:

#29 Bartus Garoulaitis

Bartus Garoulaitis

• 476 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:30

JV back? What about MH? He sure made a fantastic impression when he took the wheel again at Barcelona....what's wrong with Euroboss?

Bartus(who thinks drivers that are suffering of incontinence should not sit in a F1 car anymore)

Edited by Bartus Garoulaitis, 22 May 2009 - 15:30.

#30 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:39

I couldn't but laugh and realize than Nelson could probably do better at this moment than his son is...

#31 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:40

J Villeneuve, would that be Jeramiah Villeneuve.

Or Jeronimo?

#32 brakedistance

brakedistance

• 146 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:40

JV was lucky to get another chance. He's likely to remembered as an Alan Jones - good driver, one good championship and one crap comeback. I saw his overtake of MS around the outside of parabolica again the other day. If only he'd stayed at Williams for the BMW years.

JPM - come back please!

#33 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:42

ive never figured out why there are so many JV haters out there,

I think you will find they are roughly the same number of Schumacher fans.

#34 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:42

"On the other hand there is a little bitter aspect (of Brawn GP's success to JV). Other people harvest the fruits of what I sowed. But that's life"

That's a fantastic statement. :rotfl:

#35 Conk

Conk

• 233 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:45

I always liked JV's no BS direct speak, weak minds and insecure types have trouble dealing with such people.
I would love to see him back, perhaps at USF1 as he is a Canadian which is in N America
otoh I think Jacques and Peter Windsor do not work and play well together

http://formula-one.s...d-in-f1-return/

‘There’s a lot of movement happening, so there might be a card to play. So why not? My goal has been for the last few years NASCAR, and that’s not changing. But they are fun cars to drive, and when there are changes like are happening now, you still have to keep your fingers in there and see what could happen.’

#36 1fastSS

1fastSS

• 626 posts

With the budget cam most of the drivers on the grid could run their own team on their salaries LOL. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some old has been revivals.

Edited by 1fastSS, 22 May 2009 - 15:46.

#37 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Would there be a difference in using either of them?

Yes, Jos would ask for considerably less money and whinge less.

And beat more people up as well probably.

Autosport.com's article isn't finished. The last paragraph is:

The original interview was published here: http://www.motorspor...n_09052131.html and it's exactly the last two scentences that I found funny:

Nice to see JV didn't lose his overinflated ego. :rotfl:

Yeah, the teams success is down to JV's vision back in 1998, nothing to do with Ross Brawn. Funny how when the team did badly JV kept quiet and when it does well he pipes up again! :drunk:

#38 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:49

I always liked JV's no BS direct speak, weak minds and insecure types have trouble dealing with such people.

Direct speak - maybe. But no BS? :rotfl:

#39 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:50

...dong...

You leave your dong out of this...

Advertisement

#40 Conk

Conk

• 233 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 16:06

Direct speak - maybe. But no BS? :rotfl:

Yes No BS. That is the part that people cannot deal with, the blunt truth is to much for many.

#41 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 16:09

Yes No BS. That is the part that people cannot deal with, the blunt truth is to much for many.

Sure. Like Brawn is harvesting the fruits of what he sowed. :rotfl:

#42 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 16:09

Oh come on. Villeneuves babbling about Brawn harvesting the fruits he sowed is a textbook example of straightforward bullshit talk.

#43 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 16:20

he stated way back in 1998 as soon as the rules were changed that narrowed cars and introduced grooved tyres amongst other things that the cars were awful to drive compared to the 97 and other F1 cars he had driven and didnt suit his driving style at all.

t

The car changes were the same for everyone and I can name a number of champions who managed to survive dramatic car changes and era's.

I would list his F1 results as a strange downfall similar to Alboretto's.

#44 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 16:26

:up:

#45 Conk

Conk

• 233 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 16:43

Sure. Like Brawn is harvesting the fruits of what he sowed. :rotfl:

Was it not Craig Pollack Adrian Reynard and Jacques Villeneuve that created BAR out of the ashes of Tyrrell? Then BAR became BAR-Honda then Honda became Brawn so it is very easy to see how without Villeneuve there may not even be a Brawn GP team.

Imho Villeneuve is fully accurate to say that Brawn are reaping the fruits from the seeds that he (and many others) have sewn, but he might have added… “seeds that where sewn many years ago and have little to do with the current team”

Regardless of your ridicule of Villeneuve his name does bring recognition and that may be exactly what a team like USF1 is looking for in the short run. The raft of new entries for 2010 may create opportunities that would fit nicely with many of the recently retired F1 pilots including former champion Villeneuve.

#46 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,249 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 16:47

Was it not Craig Pollack Adrian Reynard and Jacques Villeneuve that created BAR out of the ashes of Tyrrell? Then BAR became BAR-Honda then Honda became Brawn so it is very easy to see how without Villeneuve there may not even be a Brawn GP team.

Imho Villeneuve is fully accurate to say that Brawn are reaping the fruits from the seeds that he (and many others) have sewn, but he might have added… “seeds that where sewn many years ago and have little to do with the current team”

Regardless of your ridicule of Villeneuve his name does bring recognition and that may be exactly what a team like USF1 is looking for in the short run. The raft of new entries for 2010 may create opportunities that would fit nicely with many of the recently retired F1 pilots including former champion Villeneuve.

Brawn's success can be credited to Villeneuve as much as Alonso's success can be credited to Schumacher (having building up Benetton previously) or Hamilton's to Häkkinen. I never saw any of those guys telling us XY is harvesting the fruits of their work.

If there hadn't been BAR Honda probably would have still bought or founded a team.

You know I wouldn't ridicule JV, because I think he was a good driver, if he hadn't talked so much BS during and after his career.

Edited by Galko877, 22 May 2009 - 16:53.

#47 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 16:55

Well if JV is correct to say that, then it is surely only fair to say that Brawn GP owe their success to Tyrrell and Sir Jackie?;)

#48 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 17:26

I would love to see JV get another kick at the can, especially since the current F1 cars suit his driving style.

I'll be very surprised if it was to happen but here's hoping. :)

#49 Bartus Garoulaitis

Bartus Garoulaitis

• 476 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 17:26

If you harvest your fruit a few years after it was hanging down from the tree.......it is at least...rotten?

Bartus(Who thinks anybody looks like an idiot if his mouth is even bigger than his oversized overall)

#50 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 18:22

If you harvest your fruit a few years after it was hanging down from the tree.......it is at least...rotten?

Bartus(Who thinks anybody looks like an idiot if his mouth is even bigger than his oversized overall)

well, even if Jerome Villeneuve could make it back next year (and JPM too :) ), it would allow for new drivers to bash [who cares if their apples have already rotted]... all we would really need to complete the circle would be Schuey to step back in the cockpit. maybe we could re-do Jerez or any number of races where MS & JPM tangled. I don't want Ralf back!! Give me Jos the boss first, please :stoned: