Photo

Chris Stewart

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 22:02

I met a guy called Chris Stewart last weekend, who said he'd been racing for 40 years in historics. As yet I've not found a bean about him. Apparently he was at Festival of Speed last year.

Can you fill in the blanks please?

Advertisement

#2 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:28

He used to race various cars in Historics including a DBR1 Aston

#3 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:07

He also used to race the ex-Phil Scragg HWM-Jaguar with the cycle wing body back in the 1970s when it was painted dark blue, and very quick he was with it too.

#4 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:31

While serving in Germany during his Army National Service he formed the British Army Racing Team and had his first race at Trier Airport races with a LawrenceTune-prepared Morgan +4. He raced the car until the mid-sixties, winning a number of club races, replacing it with a Healey 3000 and a Turner-Climax. Moved to California in the late-sixties where he raced an Elva-Porsche, ex-works Sprite and aslo participated in Super Vee. Returned to the UK in the early 'seventies and raced a Maserati 200S, Ferrari Testa Rossa and Iso Grifo Le Mans in historic racing. He then acquired the Le Mans-winning Aston DBR1, as Ted says, which he raced in the JCB Championship for a number of years. He later raced the ex-Scragg HWM, as Paul says, wiith which he competed successfully at historic hillclimbs as well as on the circuits, and later raced a Porsche 911 in the HSCC Porsche Trophy. Also drove a Jaguar XKSS in one of the early historic Le Mans races before the 24 Hours, and also had a spell with a McLaren M8D. For many years he was virtually a permanent fixture at any historic meeting in the UK and Europe.

A stockbroker and merchant banker by profession (if, indeed, they are professions!)

Edited by Alan Cox, 03 June 2009 - 08:33.

#5 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:59

Perhaps from an old Essex farming family, going by the address for the full half-page advertisment in AS 10.73 when he offerred a GT40 and the ex Coundley Lotus 19, along with a 15- ex G Hill, plus ex works MGB and 2 litre Attila Climax. Also looking for spare gearbox for DBR1/300, £20 offerred for information......
Roger Lund

#6 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 20:23

While serving in Germany during his Army National Service he formed the British Army Racing Team and had his first race at Trier Airport races with a LawrenceTune-prepared Morgan +4. He raced the car until the mid-sixties, winning a number of club races, replacing it with a Healey 3000 and a Turner-Climax. Moved to California in the late-sixties where he raced an Elva-Porsche, ex-works Sprite and aslo participated in Super Vee. Returned to the UK in the early 'seventies and raced a Maserati 200S, Ferrari Testa Rossa and Iso Grifo Le Mans in historic racing. He then acquired the Le Mans-winning Aston DBR1, as Ted says, which he raced in the JCB Championship for a number of years. He later raced the ex-Scragg HWM, as Paul says, wiith which he competed successfully at historic hillclimbs as well as on the circuits, and later raced a Porsche 911 in the HSCC Porsche Trophy. Also drove a Jaguar XKSS in one of the early historic Le Mans races before the 24 Hours, and also had a spell with a McLaren M8D. For many years he was virtually a permanent fixture at any historic meeting in the UK and Europe.

A stockbroker and merchant banker by profession (if, indeed, they are professions!)

When I met Chris by chance in a photo processing shop, he showed me a picture of the Morgan and said " I wish I knew where the Morgan was".

Any clues anyone?

#7 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 15:17

He was certainly around in the 1970s and early 1980s but I'm not sure his involvement during the last 40 years has been constant.

#8 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 18:33

No, I think I've only seen him once in the past 20 years - and can't remember where

#9 gilbylt3

gilbylt3

• 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:43

we raced in 1978 in Le Mans , him with an ecurie ecosse blue XKSS

#10 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:13

He at one point lived for 12 months or so in Australia and I also believe lived in Asia whilst here in Australia and in Asia he had his XK120 with him see part history below from our new XK book.
He ran the 120 in some events in Australia and he certainly raced the 120 at Zhuhai in China and there is an article in a magazine about this maybe one of Graham Gauld's magazines.
The 120 in more recent times was reported to be owned by Julian Bronson who was running the HWM jaguar VPA9 in 2008 so maybe Jeremy Wade or Bronson can shed some light on his wherabouts
terry

Chris D. Stewart of London. There, it was rebodied with an alloy roadster body by RS Panels, and set up for racing by Jim Tester. It had aero screens and a mirror cowling, and acquired disc brakes from a Mk IX and an XK150, a 3.8 litre racing engine by Forward Engineering with triple Webers, bucket seats, rack and pinion, LSD, all synchro gearbox and 15 inch V12 E Type wire wheels, being finished in a Ferrari silver. Stewart had a long racing career, starting with a Morgan in 1961, then an Aston DBR1, and at one time held 5 Birdcage Maseratis. Later he owned the ex Phil Scragg HWM Jaguar hillclimb car. It is understood that he ran a business in Thailand and that the car raced at Macau and at Zhuhai in China, and was also in NSW, Australia for a period where it was road registered, and raced in at least one historic meeting. The original engine was replaced and XK120 engine W9887-8 from XK120 OTS rhd 661115 (which itself had had its engine replaced in 1964) was listed for the car in 1998, but this would not usually have been of 3.8 litre capacity. By late 1997, dealer Jeremy Wade of Market Drayton had it for sale, describing it as “positively unsuitable for ‘numbers matching’ concours merchants, but ideal for relieving constipation!”. In September 2001 it was again advertised for sale, this time by Peter Byrn. Raced by Julian Bronson in the UK in 2002. It has retained its original UK registration number, still current in 2009 with the car recorded as Maroon and 3.8 litre.

#11 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 20:08

He at one point lived for 12 months or so in Australia and I also believe lived in Asia whilst here in Australia and in Asia he had his XK120 with him see part history below from our new XK book.
He ran the 120 in some events in Australia and he certainly raced the 120 at Zhuhai in China and there is an article in a magazine about this maybe one of Graham Gauld's magazines.
The 120 in more recent times was reported to be owned by Julian Bronson who was running the HWM jaguar VPA9 in 2008 so maybe Jeremy Wade or Bronson can shed some light on his wherabouts
terry

Chris D. Stewart of London. There, it was rebodied with an alloy roadster body by RS Panels, and set up for racing by Jim Tester. It had aero screens and a mirror cowling, and acquired disc brakes from a Mk IX and an XK150, a 3.8 litre racing engine by Forward Engineering with triple Webers, bucket seats, rack and pinion, LSD, all synchro gearbox and 15 inch V12 E Type wire wheels, being finished in a Ferrari silver. Stewart had a long racing career, starting with a Morgan in 1961, then an Aston DBR1, and at one time held 5 Birdcage Maseratis. Later he owned the ex Phil Scragg HWM Jaguar hillclimb car. It is understood that he ran a business in Thailand and that the car raced at Macau and at Zhuhai in China, and was also in NSW, Australia for a period where it was road registered, and raced in at least one historic meeting. The original engine was replaced and XK120 engine W9887-8 from XK120 OTS rhd 661115 (which itself had had its engine replaced in 1964) was listed for the car in 1998, but this would not usually have been of 3.8 litre capacity. By late 1997, dealer Jeremy Wade of Market Drayton had it for sale, describing it as “positively unsuitable for ‘numbers matching’ concours merchants, but ideal for relieving constipation!”. In September 2001 it was again advertised for sale, this time by Peter Byrn. Raced by Julian Bronson in the UK in 2002. It has retained its original UK registration number, still current in 2009 with the car recorded as Maroon and 3.8 litre.

From my local newspaper 11/4/13

Pensioner Chris Stewart has been reunited with the Morgan sports car he last drove while racing in Germany in 1963.

A RACING driver has been reunited with his beloved sports car for the first time in half a century.
Classic car lover Chris Stewart said seeing the Morgan +4 again took him "straight back to racing in Germany in 1963".

The 73-year-old, of Ship Street, East Grinstead, was given the vehicle as a 21st birthday present from his father and went on to race all over the world.

He arranged to take it for a spin again for the first time in 50 years last Wednesday after tracking the car down through a fan club.

Mr Stewart said: "Being reunited with the Morgan was magic. I didn't have a single missed gear change in three or four hours of driving around the town. It took me straight back to racing in Germany in 1963.

"That was the last time I saw it. I was a young officer in the national service and I said I wanted to race. I deliberately joined a regiment in Germany based on the possibility of racing at weekends. I thought I might be able to wing it, but I was dead lucky because they said they would call it adventure training."

As an amateur, Mr Stewart went on to compete in races around the globe in cars including a Jaguar, Porsche and Maserati. But none of them, he said, compared to his old favourite.

"The Morgan was one of the very top sports cars, he added. "It had a really good gearbox, which takes a lot of skill to handle. It was tough, reliable and inexpensive to race. But racing is not about winning; it's very much about the experience and the camaraderie. The car also has to have some spirit about it."

Mr Stewart said he also used the Morgan to benefit his love life. He joked: "It was expected to do everyday tasks that were thrown at it, but it also had to be a car that would provide enough room for my girlfriend – and her shopping."

Mr Stewart now drives a 1990's Mercedes sports car.

Several years ago, Chris took me on a drive in his Porsche 911 around East Grinstead- thought it was going to be my last, taking unbelievable risks at high speeds round corners.

Edited by richie, 17 April 2013 - 20:09.

#12 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 21:17

Always got on well with Chris, dont hold me to this but I think he had a 200S Maserati at one point. I went to his place with a view to buying the Tipo 65 Maserati for which he was asking £15,000. It was running really rough and I didn't have the budget to buy it let alone restore it. I was thinking bank loan and my brother was going to race it. Not a good idea!
Going into his office there on the mantelpiece were a couple of Maserati chassis plates that he had kept as souvenirs. Oh dear!

Edited by Andrew Fellowes, 17 April 2013 - 21:20.

#13 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 21:18

The 73-year-old, of Ship Street, East Grinstead, was given the vehicle as a 21st birthday present from his father and went on to race all over the world.

By an odd coincidence, I lived in Ship Street, East Grinstead, between 1985 and 1995. Not that that has much to do with the topic...

#14 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 21:34

By an odd coincidence, I lived in Ship Street, East Grinstead, between 1985 and 1995. Not that that has much to do with the topic...

For someone who likes to be anonymous in the town, Chris's got himself a whole lot of publicity!

Edited by richie, 17 April 2013 - 21:35.

#15 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:03

Maybe yourself and Chris could make an application?

http://www.english-h...schemes/advice/

#16 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 13:01

Maybe yourself and Chris could make an application?

http://www.english-h...schemes/advice/

Ah, Antipodean sarcasm!

#17 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 15:05

Ah, Antipodean sarcasm!

Not really...just a failed attempt at humour.... :rolleyes:

#18 jcavalie

jcavalie

• 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 18:18

Hello - Sorry to rekindle an old thread, but I stumbled on this while researching the history of a 1966 Ferrari 330 GTC that I now own.  A few owners ago, the car was imported into the USA from the UK, and the purchaser in the US indicated that he bought it from a Mr. Chris Stewart, London stockbroker.  If at all possible, I would like to reach out to Mr. Stewart to see if he did indeed own the car, and if so, continue to track the history backwards.  Thank you for any assistance!

#19 richardspringett

richardspringett

• 211 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 22:49

My goodness!

Chris Stewart, a name I had long forgotten,  and only reminded by this old recently resurrected thread, of which I can offer nothing!

Perhaps 40 years ago, when I lived in Quendon, an Aston Zagato drove passed my house at high speed, only to stamp on the brakes,  stopped 200m on and reversed back at 60mph.

An unflustered Chris leaped out and asked me about my Alfa Romeo SZ parked in front, exclaiming he had mistaken it for an Aston Zagato....extremely friendly and knowledgeable he asked me back for lunch.

We had avacado salad, my first experience, he explained he was just back from California and apologised as this was his favourite dish.... And it was truly scrumptious.

Never heard from him again or since, until this thread....

Nothing contained herein surprises me. A really charming guy.

Richard

Advertisement

#20 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 23:08

Hello - Sorry to rekindle an old thread, but I stumbled on this while researching the history of a 1966 Ferrari 330 GTC that I now own.  A few owners ago, the car was imported into the USA from the UK, and the purchaser in the US indicated that he bought it from a Mr. Chris Stewart, London stockbroker.  If at all possible, I would like to reach out to Mr. Stewart to see if he did indeed own the car, and if so, continue to track the history backwards.  Thank you for any assistance!

Not very helpful...but...The UK white pages has a Stewart in East Grinstead with C as a second initial

#21 jcavalie

jcavalie

• 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 00:24

Not very helpful...but...The UK white pages has a Stewart in East Grinstead with C as a second initial

Thanks!  I've looked at the online UK White Pages and there are 36 "Stewart's" in East Grinstead - none that are Chris D. Stewart as this thread seems to indicate would be his full name.  I suppose I could start calling them - but it feels like Chris was active enough in the car scene that one of my feelers should touch someone who knows him.  Maybe I need to find and try the Morgan boards!  I did email the editor of the East Grinstead Courier hoping to get in touch with Sam Satchell, author of this article about Chris - http://www.eastgrins...tail/story.html.  So I am pursuing a couple angles, and hope I get the opportunity to speak with him.  He sounds like a great car-guy!  Thanks again!

Edited by jcavalie, 17 July 2015 - 00:26.

#22 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,127 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 00:43

Maybe Bob Bull could help - Try here :- http://www.brakehors...wforum.php?f=20

#23 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:00

It is probable that Chris Stewart will be at Silverstone for the Silverstone Classic next week. I was with him there last year.

As Terry McGrath mentions earlier Chris raced his Jaguar XK120 at the Zuhai street race in China in 1994. This is a photo I took of him at the race.

Chris_Stewart_1.jpg

#24 jcavalie

jcavalie

• 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 18:51

It is probable that Chris Stewart will be at Silverstone for the Silverstone Classic next week. I was with him there last year.

As Terry McGrath mentions earlier Chris raced his Jaguar XK120 at the Zuhai street race in China in 1994. This is a photo I took of him at the race.

Chris_Stewart_1.jpg

Thanks - are you going to be at the Silverstone Classic next week?  If so, I sent you a PM.  Thanks!