* * * * - 6 votes

Gran Turismo 5

• Please log in to reply
1335 replies to this topic

#1 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:51

At E3 happening Gran Turismo makers revealed PSP Gran Turismo which whill have about 800 cars, 35 tracks and release date 1st October 2009

That's enough for PSP but they also revealed trailer of incoming Gran Turismo 5 for PS3.

By trailer looks like they have gained Nascar and WRC license and all looks out stunning. Also car damage is included.
No release date were given, but feel free to read and see more info from http://www.gtplanet.net/

Trailer can be found at

Edited by The Kanisteri, 03 June 2009 - 05:52.

Advertisement

#2 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,019 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:56

:clap:

Im more into PC sims these days but cant wait for GT5, gonna buy a PS3 just for it.

The graphics are just stunning. Better than than most 3D artists could acheive in still renders but it's ingame! Having official licensed series like NASCAR and WRC can only be a plus too.

Im guessing therell still be no damage to the cars and horrendous AI but I can overlook these for the other magical details unique to the series.

#3 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 00:24

:clap:

Im more into PC sims these days but cant wait for GT5, gonna buy a PS3 just for it.

The graphics are just stunning. Better than than most 3D artists could acheive in still renders but it's ingame! Having official licensed series like NASCAR and WRC can only be a plus too.

Im guessing therell still be no damage to the cars and horrendous AI but I can overlook these for the other magical details unique to the series.

I've had all the previous GT games, except GT5 Prologue (I've not gotten a PS3 yet). Much as I like PC sims, for their expandability (I've recently started playing GT Legends, and have been enjoying some of the addon cars and tracks for that game, and I'd had all the GPL modifications at one time or another), the Gran Turismo series is a must play, of only for the eye candy.

#4 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:00

I really cannot wait for this game. GT5 Prologue is a blast to play (especially with a friend) and with all of these recent developments... NASCAR and WRC vehicles, continuation of night races, car damage, approximately 900 cars... This game is going to be a blast once it's released.

#5 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:38

“We Can Release Gran Turismo 5 Whenever We Want” - Kazunori Yamauchi, CEO of Polyphony Digital

In interview he says game is actually ready, they are just polishing and polishing it till final release. :clap:

http://www.gtplanet....enever-we-want/

#6 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:19

“We Can Release Gran Turismo 5 Whenever We Want” - Kazunori Yamauchi, CEO of Polyphony Digital

In interview he says game is actually ready, they are just polishing and polishing it till final release. :clap:

http://www.gtplanet....enever-we-want/

Personally, I think such comments do more harm than good. This is not an official announcement. But Kaz did say it. And people will take it as gospel. The truth is, we have no idea when this game will be released. It could very well be 2010. And a 1st quarter 2010 release would not surprise me at all, even after reading this.

Sony knows that GT5 will be a console seller. They've had a bad year. They're selling the most expensive console on the market. I'm sure they're putting PD under pressure to release the game. And if it was really THAT close to release I'm sure they would have at least announced a date at E3. We're 3 & 1/2 months away from the start of the holiday shopping season. No doubt Kazunori is a perfectionist and he wants to release a title that doesn't need patches and bug fixes. But if it was really 'ready' to be released...well...

#7 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:44

I think that you're taking the "ready to be released now" blurb too literally. What I think he means is that it could be released now and be viewed as a full and complete game, but the team at Polyphony would rather continue to expand on the already seemingly complete package, making it the absolute best that they can while also continuing to add even more new content to the game.

#8 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 16:30

Thank christ for that, the rumours of release being put back to 2010 were getting me hacked off, the game is way too late as it is.

#9 nudger1964

nudger1964

• 336 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:05

Thank christ for that, the rumours of release being put back to 2010 were getting me hacked off, the game is way too late as it is.

yeah thats the trouble, its mind blowing just how long we have been waiting for this title to come out on ps3...i have a nice shinny black box sitting in the corner of the room, and nothing that really interests me to play on it. well, GTA4 was pretty good for a while.
hopefully this year we will see dirt2 and GT5.

#10 Alan Boiston

Alan Boiston

• 34 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 14:45

Yeah PS3 owners have Supercar Challenge (sequel to the under appreciated Ferrari Challenge), NFS Shift, Dirt 2 then GT5, but be warned it may be possible that we will only see the Japanese release this year with the Euro and US launches around Easter 2010, expect announcements within the next couple of months with an unveiling of the full game at Tokyo Game Show in September.

#11 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 18:16

Does anyone still do an F1 for the PS3? I haven't been following games for a while now (life stuff has totally gotten in the way).

#12 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,609 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 21:01

Does anyone still do an F1 for the PS3? I haven't been following games for a while now (life stuff has totally gotten in the way).

Sony's contract ran out, so there hasn't been a game recently. We're (im)patiently awaiting the arrival of Codemasters' upcoming F1 game, which will be available on pretty much all platforms.

#13 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,418 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:13

Yeah PS3 owners have Supercar Challenge (sequel to the under appreciated Ferrari Challenge), NFS Shift, Dirt 2 then GT5, but be warned it may be possible that we will only see the Japanese release this year with the Euro and US launches around Easter 2010, expect announcements within the next couple of months with an unveiling of the full game at Tokyo Game Show in September.

Alan :wave:

Since the whole NTSC/PAL territories thing is not an issue anymore, why would they do that? :confused: Earlier GT games have had worldwide releases and with the amount hype around this game I thought it was slated for a worldwide release in December. History however has taught us to expect the unexpected with GT release dates!! :well: :well: :lol:

Tony. :wave:

Edited by Tony Mandara, 07 July 2009 - 09:14.

#14 Alan Boiston

Alan Boiston

• 34 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 17:37

Hey Tony,

No usually GT games have traditionally come out around early December in Japan with Easter launches in the UK, several reasons or excuses. Firstly you have the text to translate, barring in mind GT can be somewhat text heavy in the options, then you have that Japanese mindset, they prefer to launch in their own territory first rather than hit a worldwide release unlike Microsoft. Now you could assume they have already translated it but without any word from Sony we'll just have to wait and see, I'll continue to badger them and see what I can find out. :)

Alan :)

#15 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 15:33

Nelson Piquet jr. playing GT5P using a Playseat and Logitech G25. :lol: As posted to his twitter site and picked up by GTPlanet.net.

Posted Image

Full URL here.

We notice a few things:

- left foot braking

- he's using the racing line. :lol:

- he's not actually ON the racing line

Go Nelson! :clap:

#16 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 23:26

Nelson Piquet jr. playing GT5P using a Playseat and Logitech G25. :lol: As posted to his twitter site and picked up by GTPlanet.net.

Posted Image

Full URL here.

We notice a few things:

- left foot braking

great post! :lol:

he is using the racing line for now untill he sees a corner. :rotfl: nelson seems a nice guy. there are not many drivers who are giving away their home pictures.

will gt5 also have F1 cars? and if so from which seasons?

#17 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 16:14

will gt5 also have F1 cars? and if so from which seasons?

Well prologue has the F2007

#18 thisismoto

thisismoto

• 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 21:03

Posted Image

Full URL here.

We notice a few things:

- left foot braking

If you don't mind me asking how much does this set up cost

#19 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:50

Just got the same setup as Piquet but a Momo wheel instead of the G25 and I have to say that now I can understand the talk about GT being the ultimate driving simulator, fantastic feeling in the game when you have a wheel instead of a controller.

thisismoto: check out http://www.playseat.com/ for the seat, you can probably find the G25 in you local (big) computer shop.

/Viktor

Edited by Viktor, 02 August 2009 - 06:52.

Advertisement

#20 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:52

Well prologue has the F2007

So likely it will have all 2007 F1 cars? :love: Would it be too much to ask if they can put all F1 cars of the 2007-2008-2009 seasons? :clap:

#21 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:54

Nelson might received the playseat for free as a free giveaway if he posted a picture of him racing in the raceseat. :lol:

Edited by Lewis, 02 August 2009 - 12:55.

#22 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 15:50

So likely it will have all 2007 F1 cars? :love: Would it be too much to ask if they can put all F1 cars of the 2007-2008-2009 seasons? :clap:

F2007 as in the Ferrari F1 car from 2007. Nothing more then that is known at this stage about F1 cars and the F2007 may not aper in the final game and only be a car in prolog.

/Viktor

#23 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 00:05

If you don't mind me asking how much does this set up cost

It depends of course where you are but online in US$:

Playseat - $280
Shifter attachment - $45
Logitech G25 wheel - $220

The seat is certainly not up to automotive standards but I find it pretty comfortable and the driving position is close to ideal.

#24 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 20:04

Depends if they have deals in place with all the teams, this is from their deal with Ferrari.

#25 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 22:55

Its a great game I've been playing it religiously. There's some really fast guys around the world.

Edited by Juan Kerr, 08 August 2009 - 22:56.

#26 thisismoto

thisismoto

• 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 14:54

F2007 as in the Ferrari F1 car from 2007. Nothing more then that is known at this stage about F1 cars and the F2007 may not aper in the final game and only be a car in prolog.

/Viktor

Nice thanks for the info

#27 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 17:38

No doubt Kazunori is a perfectionist and he wants to release a title that doesn't need patches and bug fixes.

You are kidding me surely? Shitty Ai (woeful actually), idiotic tyre wear on previous releases and stupid format for GT3 just turned me off the entire GT experience. They also say 800 cars of which 732 of them are Skyline's/GTR's going on GT2 and 3's experience.

#28 Shiftin

Shiftin

• 5,976 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 16:53

You are kidding me surely? Shitty Ai (woeful actually), idiotic tyre wear on previous releases and stupid format for GT3 just turned me off the entire GT experience. They also say 800 cars of which 732 of them are Skyline's/GTR's going on GT2 and 3's experience.

Wow.... :eek: :lol:

What do you play as an alternative...?

What's the ****...?

#29 meb58

meb58

• 603 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 17:56

I hope they incorporate the ability save unlimted setups in GT5. I'm not into making notes...they should follow a previous Gen GT.

You guys ever compare lap times?

#30 Shiftin

Shiftin

• 5,976 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 13:01

You guys ever compare lap times?

There was a intense GT tournamant, a while ago... But I think it's prety much dead cause of todays online options withe the PS3....

Shame... Cause I pretty much was 2 seconds faster than anyone else here... :cat:

#31 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 17:49

There was a intense GT tournamant, a while ago... But I think it's prety much dead cause of todays online options withe the PS3....

Shame... Cause I pretty much was 2 seconds faster than anyone else here... :cat:

when GT5 comes out i wanna drive against you at Lacuna Seca with Lemans cars. :) Im gonna kick your ass :smoking:

#32 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,614 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 17:12

I can join in with that action...

#33 meb58

meb58

• 603 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 13:58

I've always been curious about a couple of lap times playing GT3 - I know' it's old but I am holding out for GT5

Is a 5:26 a good lap time on the Ring? Might be 5:22...I cannot remember.

#34 crooky369

crooky369

• 628 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 18:20

I've always been curious about a couple of lap times playing GT3 - I know' it's old but I am holding out for GT5

Is a 5:26 a good lap time on the Ring? Might be 5:22...I cannot remember.

I thought I was pretty good at GT (5:19) but at least one person has done it in 4:44 so I'd say were both above average. :)

I remember doing it in the F1 car because the Le Mans cars were impossible to drive at the Ring probably because "tuning" to me was put on the best tyres and increase the downforce, I don't know where to start with the suspension, gear ratios etc

#35 meb58

meb58

• 603 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 18:28

I never tried the F1 car on the ring...I used the Pescarolo C60. I'll try the F1 car this weekend...and I've only won one of those...?

#36 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:21

Well guys, with any luck, in about 6 hours time we should FINALLY get confirmation of the 'official' release date of GT5 at GamesCon today. There are some pretty strong rumors floating around that it will be released in time for Christmas.

#37 crooky369

crooky369

• 628 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 16:25

For anyone interested here is a video link to the conference at 5.30pm GMT (about 5 minutes)

http://www.justin.tv/schnuffel

#38 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 17:41

Nothing on GT5 this time, maybe next time, TGS at the end of September.

/Viktor

#39 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 18:05

Well there is video of HD TVs with the GT logo on the back of them so I assume GT5 will be in playable demo form from tomorrow on. But alas, no release date mentioned during the Sony conference.

At least the $299/EUR299 PS3 slim will become a reality in just two weeks.

Advertisement

#40 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 22:21

www.insidesimracing.tv has done a number of sim seat reviews, if your after one, check them out :)

#41 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 22:50

Finally some hard details on GT5 (as translated by GTPlanet member Black Chamber) from Polyphony Digital's Japanese GT5 homepage.

■ models included
1,000 vehicles
170 Premium new models (full interior modeling, the interior corresponds to vehicle damage)
830 kinds of standard model (some are from Gran Turismo 4 that have been carried over to GT5) [Read: Cars we have seen in GT4 before ]

■ Courses
60 courses confirmed with 20 or more to be revealed

■ physical simulation of vehicles
Physics system simulation is brand new
Represented is full fall in vehicles [possibly rollover]
Damage representation (reproduced in full by real-time collision deformation)
faithfully reproducing the behavior of electric cars, i.e. Prius, Insight, hybrid cars and the latest Tesla model

■ Arcade Mode
Single Race
2 player battle

■ GT Mode
World Map
My Garage
Car Dealer
Tuning Shop (parts, tires)
Car Washes/Oil Change
Race Championship (Series system, point system)
License Test

■ Online
Open Lobby
Text / Voice Chat
Private rooms
Online Photo Album
Online Replay Album
YouTube replay output

■ Photo Mode
Photo Drive (Circuit)
Photo stage (Stage Photo mode only)

■ Gran Turismo TV
Video output to a PSP or PSP Go®
Progressive Download
Improved user interface
Continuous Play for videos

■ Museums
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue version, + more information at TGS

■ Sound
Custom soundtracks (Use songs from your PS3 hard-drive)
Dolby Digital 5.1 and 7.1

■ User Interface
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and the same design concept. The icons change color
Able to track the movement of Cockpit Camera interface (confirmed in full 3-D. The camera can be fully manipulated and you can opt to have your head tracked by the PSEye)

-------------------------------

Finally, damage modeling and private rooms! Yeah! And I think being able to post to YouTube is a great tool for settling on-line disputes (or creating new ones. :lol: :kiss: ) And I personally think using the PS3 Eye to track your head movement to change the field of view is a very interesting concept. Lots of potential here.

A few people have mentioned a December 10th release date but this wasn't mentioned in Black Chamber's unofficial translation.

#42 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 13:22

YouTube video showing physical damage.

A couple of interesting points:

- watching in HQ, you can clearly see the car has visible deformation on the body panels.
- the car seems to wobble as if it has suspension damage
- :confused: oddly enough, the Mitsubishi that hits the Subaru from behind does NOT appear to suffer any damage.

Still I think this is a great step to making game play more realistic.

#43 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 19:37

- watching in HQ, you can clearly see the car has visible deformation on the body panels.
- :confused: oddly enough, the Mitsubishi that hits the Subaru from behind does NOT appear to suffer any damage.

The car seems to still react like it did in GT5p though, react like its much lighter and more rigid than it really is. There's no feeling of weight and momentum it reacts more like a light tennis ball.

#44 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,019 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 15:19

Thanks for the GT5 video link. I have the suspicion that the damage model maybe a special edition on certain cars much in the same way the open top cars were in GT4. The Evo 4 has a heavy collision with the Scooby and isnt damaged at all. Maybe the computations on a full field would be too much. The real time lighting is amazing though. Cant wait to get the game and have a go with my G25 hopefully on one of these at xmas time: http://www.techradar...eptember-627209

#45 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 16:21

The fact that PD has so many working demos of GT5 available at the GameCon show, yet has made no official announcement is perplexing. To make matters worse, The Japanese Gran Turismo site which had many details of the release version published on opening day including the total number of cars, number of tracks, private lobbies, etc., was taken down 24 hours later with no explanation. One theory is that PD & Sony were planning on making a much bigger announcement for GT5 and for whatever reason changed their minds at the last minute. The reason for the change is open to intense speculation but considering the above it seems plausible. Perhaps they wanted the show to focus on the PS3 Slim.

We do know at the show, that only the Subaru Rally car is available to run, only in standard physics with assists on, automatic transmission, for one lap only of that one track. We know both cosmetic and physical damage show. Otherwise, it remains a mystery.

The only two pieces of semi-official news we have are from an interview between a French gaming site and Kazunori where he mentions the priority right now is to get GT Mobile out the door (Oct 1st) and GT5 will follow soon after. (I'm paraphrasing). And an interview with SCEE President Andrew House who states, “I am not going to make a prediction on that but I think you will see something on GT5 very soon.”, when asked why Sony didn't say anything official on GT5.

As usual, the end result is another PR blackout from Polyphony Digital that leaves only more questions. I think most people suspect a more official announcement will come at the Tokyo Game show in September and are at least hoping the game will be released sometime in December.

#46 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,852 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 18:42

I just hope it has the 288GTO.

#47 johnap

johnap

• 280 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 20:02

Its believed that what was on show there was very much work in progress.

#48 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 20:32

Its believed that what was on show there was very much work in progress.

It's a mystery. They've been working on it for what...4 years? Perhaps more. And if it's due to be released in a few months, it better be more than work in progress. It should just be a matter of ironing things out. Kazunori himself admitted that the priority right now is getting GT Mobile out the door and it has been drawing a lot of their resources.

FWIW, I would rather have maybe 150 cars and a working game at this point rather than whispers of 1000 cars and a release date that only a ouija board can answer.

#49 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:45

It's a mystery. They've been working on it for what...4 years? Perhaps more. And if it's due to be released in a few months, it better be more than work in progress. It should just be a matter of ironing things out. Kazunori himself admitted that the priority right now is getting GT Mobile out the door and it has been drawing a lot of their resources.

FWIW, I would rather have maybe 150 cars and a working game at this point rather than whispers of 1000 cars and a release date that only a ouija board can answer.

Working for it for 4 years?
Playstation 3 was released late 2006 in North America and Japan and eventually spring 2007 in Europe. Of course game programmers has plenty of info about system before release but it's still reasonable new platform and they were not able to get full potential from it in early years.

It was quite same when they moved from Playstation 1 to Playstation 2. Plans were to release improved GT2 for PS2 but plans were cancelled, they put all effort on GT3. Though it was way a lot smaller than GT2 - what comes on races, volume of cars, no used cars. It was anyway helluva improvement. Since GT3 it didn't take - in my opinion - way too long to release GT4 (spring 2005 in Europe). It was massive for obsolete console PS2.

I rather see excellent car game made well and long than hop into Need For Speed serie makers who seems to release **** after **** every 6 months.

#50 pRy

pRy

• 26,169 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:56

Working for it for 4 years?
Playstation 3 was released late 2006 in North America and Japan and eventually spring 2007 in Europe. Of course game programmers has plenty of info about system before release but it's still reasonable new platform and they were not able to get full potential from it in early years.

The four years bit seems to have come from a 2008 interview with the designer:

http://www.develop-o...ame-development

The console itself would have been in the hands of the programmers long before it was released to the general public, otherwise how could companies produce games in time for launch? I'm not sure how game design works, they may not even require a console.. just the game design applications, 3d model apps.. that sort of thing. And even before that, they could have spent a lot of time working on concept art and designing some of the images. So I can easily buy the 4 years claim. They probably began work on GT5 straight after they finished on previous title.