• 18,229 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 18:51

Linky easier to see now.

Advertisement

#452 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 19:53

Have to ask - Is GT5 a real driving simulator?

Oh God no.

You can bump cars at 140km/hr with no consequences, off-track is too grippy. Same problems as Prologue.

Holy moley, this took 6 years? Most of the cars are out of date, most of the cars have no cockpits, some take fake damages, others don't -it's just a re-hashed GT4 with some features of various levels of completeness.

Karting mode indicates no one at Polyphony has ever driven a kart. (although fun to take a kart around Cote d' azure, which is a 2X wide Monaco) It's like karting dragging a 200 kilo steel ball.

NASCAR "driving school", is just another driving licence test with a voice saying, "try again?", cars have way too much grip.

I'll have to get into the quick cars before I bin it completely. Impressive 60FPS, no slowdown or stutter, but the selection of real tracks is weak.

My goal is to unlock the historic cars, but the car model list is bizarre - do we really need to drive a 33hp VW hippy van?

I don't know if I'll have the patience to unlock the cars again -they really should have let the demo "prologue" customers take their credits and transfer them.

I have to agree with various review sites on this: the franchise has gotten stale, and there really isn't much more than Prologue here than hundreds of car models no one cars about and a ton of fake tracks that are frankly too easy and too wide.

900+cars, kinda, but we all got sick of those cars in GT4.

Last night was sooo tedious -hammering through the "challenges" at 7 seconds ahead of the AI. I hope it gets harder at some point.

I must be missing something, but it looks like you can't upgrade brakes.

Why they re-did "B-spec" mode is beyond me: it's stupid, period. It's as if this game was planned out ~2006 as a PS3 version of GT4, when they were finishing off GT4, then they just added some more models and features.

I still think overall I get a better sense of tension and speed with NFS: Shift.

Pretty models, best Nurburgring model, great for hot-lapping. Hardly a major improvement over Prologue. I think Sony needs to re-think the next version to try and get more realistic class racing and real tracks, instead of just more car models, or finish the car models they have. PD has been outpaced by better products elsewhere.

#453 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 20:45

LOL the Elise on TG test track is a nightmare isnt it. I cant find the TG track for practice yet though? Also the camper van race on the TG test track. I'd rather attack my nuts with a rusty cheese grater than do that! I had one attempt, thought WTF and quit!

You have to do the camper race to unlock the track in practice. I enjoyed it.

Loving this game so far, so much better than F1 2010

#454 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 322 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 22:39

Bloody hell the rallying is hard! Keeping it in a straight line is hard, I tend to go in most corners backwards!

Anyway, anyone having issues with their wheel? I've got a Logitech GT and the thing has got a mind of its own. Even going down the stright its tring to fight me which doesn't seem right?

#455 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,544 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 00:43

Bloody hell the rallying is hard! Keeping it in a straight line is hard, I tend to go in most corners backwards!

Anyway, anyone having issues with their wheel? I've got a Logitech GT and the thing has got a mind of its own. Even going down the stright its tring to fight me which doesn't seem right?

Hi, I ahve not game yet, but was wondering if GT4 quirk still is around. Forcefeedback wheel acted odd with PS2's GT4 because in controls settings gamepad "rumble" was on. Turning that off made wheel work far better. :)

#456 Ninjastar

Ninjastar

• 75 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:44

Ok, im focusing on the Licenses then "A" spec for now, so far ive completed up to IC all gold... EXCEPT IC10. I can finish 2nd for now which means silver.

That ferrari handles like a boat, but after a couple tries i got the hang of it. After lap one, im 3rd place but i can only make up 1 place in the 2nd and final lap. Maybe ill turn on racing lines just to see if im taking my cnr entries at the best place.

On another note, despite how great the majority of the game looks, theres some real eyesores in there. Definitely some of the lesser known standard cars and also the original tracks just look like hi-res direct ports. The geometry in monaco looks simple for instance.

It just doesnt seem to fit the level of excellence they pronounce and expect from them. (Note, i appreciate just how big this project was, but im just stating it as i see it).

#457 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:51

Working really well for me tbh, feedback is excellent.

#458 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,768 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:40

Mine too, felt like DiRT 2, but a bit heavier due to me using a road-going Delta Integrale rather than a pukka rally car.

Did the Grand Tour last night too... that night race in the Lamborghini is incredible!! I've got no chance with the driving line off because of all the crests and blind corners!

#459 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:58

Ok, im focusing on the Licenses then "A" spec for now, so far ive completed up to IC all gold... EXCEPT IC10. I can finish 2nd for now which means silver.

That ferrari handles like a boat, but after a couple tries i got the hang of it. After lap one, im 3rd place but i can only make up 1 place in the 2nd and final lap. Maybe ill turn on racing lines just to see if im taking my cnr entries at the best place.

On another note, despite how great the majority of the game looks, theres some real eyesores in there. Definitely some of the lesser known standard cars and also the original tracks just look like hi-res direct ports. The geometry in monaco looks simple for instance.

It just doesnt seem to fit the level of excellence they pronounce and expect from them. (Note, i appreciate just how big this project was, but im just stating it as i see it).

Hi there.

I am also working on the licenses and A-spec and got all gold in License A and B except A-8 with the Schumacher-S on Nurburgring in the BMW 135i. Do you have any ideas how to do that one? Im only able to come within a tenth consistantly. It was like hitting a wall after 3 straight gold tests in the first try!

Advertisement

#460 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,768 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:02

I've never liked the license tests, so now that they're not needed to move up the racing ladder I've kinda side-stepped them...

I just tend to go for the bronze and get it over with!

#461 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 322 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:08

Mine too, felt like DiRT 2, but a bit heavier due to me using a road-going Delta Integrale rather than a pukka rally car.

Did the Grand Tour last night too... that night race in the Lamborghini is incredible!! I've got no chance with the driving line off because of all the crests and blind corners!

Cheers guys, I obviously just need to sort my settings out, can I ask what settings you guys are using? Also, there appears to be two Logitech GT tabs to choose from, whats that about?

M

#462 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,768 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:43

Cheers guys, I obviously just need to sort my settings out, can I ask what settings you guys are using? Also, there appears to be two Logitech GT tabs to choose from, whats that about?

M

There doesn't seem to be much you can change with the wheel in this game, unlike the Codies ones where nearly all the perimeters of the wheel are changeable. I've got the feedback strength up to ten though, I like that weight pushing through. Is it just the rallying where the wheel plays up? Or on track racing too?

Don't know about the two tabs, but maybe it's if you're having a two-player with two wheels, and you each have personal settings?

Edited by DanardiF1, 26 November 2010 - 11:45.

#463 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 13:17

Edited by SRi130Brett, 26 November 2010 - 14:39.

#464 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 13:18

You have to do the camper race to unlock the track in practice. I enjoyed it.

Thats really not what I wanted to hear!! Do I just have to compete in it and finish it or do I have to win?

#465 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 13:21

I got this "http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e1fc61ff5bce67"

and it works brilliantly!

I paid £15 direct from Tesco's but they appear to have doubled the price, so ebay is a better bet...

They appear to have halved the price you mean ? £7.49

http://direct.tesco....R.206-7659.aspx

#466 Ninjastar

Ninjastar

• 75 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 13:35

Hi there.

I am also working on the licenses and A-spec and got all gold in License A and B except A-8 with the Schumacher-S on Nurburgring in the BMW 135i. Do you have any ideas how to do that one? Im only able to come within a tenth consistantly. It was like hitting a wall after 3 straight gold tests in the first try!

From memory, as you enter the S (sweeping left hander), just stay flat and DONT lift! Few small zig-zag motions on the wheel to keep in pointing forwards if need be. Then hopefully, that it :)

#467 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 322 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 13:50

They appear to have halved the price you mean ? £7.49

http://direct.tesco....R.206-7659.aspx

Jackpot! Thats the one, works brillaintly (pedals actallually fit inside the frame so they don't move) and for that price....

#468 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 16:49

Thats really not what I wanted to hear!! Do I just have to compete in it and finish it or do I have to win?

Er... top three I think, but I won it.

#469 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 16:50

M

Just the standard settings, don't think there's too much you can change feedback wise. I did fiddle with the assists before I even started so I dunno if that might do it, doubt it though. The two settings for the wheel in the menu are just button configs I think.

#470 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 17:18

The only thing that's annoying me about the game is the loading times. It has a propensity to freeze for 5 minutes while loading. Hopefully that might be fixed with the next update.

#471 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 18:49

What car did you guys use for the European Classic Car championship in the beginner series?

#472 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,768 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 20:03

What car did you guys use for the European Classic Car championship in the beginner series?

the Alfa Giulia that I won in the Italian Cup in the Amateur Series. I'd already levelled up through doing the special events, so could pick and choose from the first two sections.

#473 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 21:43

The only thing that's annoying me about the game is the loading times. It has a propensity to freeze for 5 minutes while loading. Hopefully that might be fixed with the next update.

Try turing off the wireless/unplug the cable.

I think it connects to the Sony servers quite frequently, and they are being hammered. I've taken to turning off the wireless and I get no freezes.

My wife was laughing at me trying to do the Intermediate NASCAR code tests with a pad, and I said, its easier with a wheel, and she said "buy one then", so Christmas is coming early in my house :)

#474 baddog

baddog

• 23,538 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 21:57

Top 9 I think.. 9th is bronze, 3rd silver, 2nd gold. I hope thats that race anyway! It tells you what bronze is at the screen top

Its actually hard and I thought enormous fun.. you van is not at all faster, but you can play lots of argy bargy in the corners and its very winnable.

Edited by baddog, 26 November 2010 - 21:57.

#475 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 23:30

Can you save during endurance races?

#476 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:29

Top 9 I think.. 9th is bronze, 3rd silver, 2nd gold. I hope thats that race anyway! It tells you what bronze is at the screen top

Its actually hard and I thought enormous fun..

I'll agree with that, I very much enjoyed it.

I see the games been out two days and there's already a version 1.02 update.

Edited by wewantourdarbyback, 27 November 2010 - 11:52.

#477 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,828 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 17:22

quick questions:

is there an online race to compete with other real drivers? i tried to access the "community" tab but it says this is not available for my version.

also, is there a way to set up my G25 wheel buttons in allowing me to check my left/right blindspots?

thank you.

#478 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,768 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 17:26

Bit miffed that there's no Honda HSV-10 in the SuperGT lineup... they've had all year to add it in, but they've only got the 2008-spec SuperGT cars?

I don't like the NSX it became too ugly with all the work done on it... the HSV was a clean slate and a good-looking one too!!

#479 baddog

baddog

• 23,538 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 22:22

quick questions:

is there an online race to compete with other real drivers? i tried to access the "community" tab but it says this is not available for my version.

Yes there certainly is online.. the menus are not exactly intuitive are they ;)

You are signed into psn? If you are signed in and have patched the game, and have accepted the online terms (go to options, miscellaneous or whatever, online terms and accept them) then you should be good.

Advertisement

#480 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,828 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 22:46

Yes there certainly is online.. the menus are not exactly intuitive are they ;)

You are signed into psn? If you are signed in and have patched the game, and have accepted the online terms (go to options, miscellaneous or whatever, online terms and accept them) then you should be good.

Hi Baddog
thank you, I don't think I'm signed into PSN, let me see if I remember my password, I rarely play with my PS3 .... :stoned:

#481 baddog

baddog

• 23,538 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 22:59

If you do get on let us know your ID so we can get a race going

#482 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,544 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 23:36

Gosh...those headlights of cars are awful and bugged. Hopefully they add more light and fixes uphill, downhill bugs.

#483 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:29

Spent several hours with the game today... first thing coming to mind is that it's still the same old game..

I liked the cockpit view when available, and the online mode could be cool with just a little more options/refinement.

The AI is still the same and shamefully horrible, its just a brainless moving slalom course.

The driving itself isn't bad at all, as long as you stay within a specific set of boundaries it can be real convincing stuff... but then.. you might hit a kryptonite wire fence, hear a loud arcadish ' thud ' when cars collide without any consequences, or be overtaken by some wall-riding idiot.. and whatever good the game had going for you is immediately thrown out of the window.

Everything is so predictable with it, it's a bit depressing...

#484 klyster

klyster

• 4,352 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:36

:lol:

#485 baddog

baddog

• 23,538 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 18:47

Apparently damage is unlocked as you get more experienced.. eventually being pretty fully modelled.

http://www.thehdroom...rogressive/7965

very reassuring no?

I have found in GT mode (who the hell plays arcade??) that physcial response of my car to contact is quite well done in fact (damage still not unlocked aside that is).. can end up spun out or fishtailing down the road very easily..

#486 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,768 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 19:46

Apparently damage is unlocked as you get more experienced.. eventually being pretty fully modelled.

http://www.thehdroom...rogressive/7965

very reassuring no?

I have found in GT mode (who the hell plays arcade??) that physcial response of my car to contact is quite well done in fact (damage still not unlocked aside that is).. can end up spun out or fishtailing down the road very easily..

I think it's good in that the difficulty of the game increases as you get better equipped to deal with it...

I'm also glad the damage system didn't just extend to a dent bumper or two...

#487 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,426 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 22:53

So much bitching and moaning, and yet people still banging in 10hr a day on it...

BTW I love B-spec, so happy its back

#488 baddog

baddog

• 23,538 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 23:18

So much bitching and moaning, and yet people still banging in 10hr a day on it...

Heh indeed. always the way. I frankly am loving it, it feels more like proper GT than anything for many many years to me.

I KNEW there was someone out there who used that!

;)

#489 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,341 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 23:46

I love b spec too! Nothing better to massage your own ego than let the b spec run to 75% dist in a lowly 4th only to take over and show him how its done and take the win. Id be a **** of a le man team mate!

#490 Ninjastar

Ninjastar

• 75 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 23:52

Too true @ 10hrs!

Had a good race on nurburgring Nordhschleife online last night. Only 4 players but one other guy only knew the track well. Great battle, I was in a f458 with intake, full exhaust, tune vs a guy with Mines GTR. Swapping places until the last sector where I though I'd really push to the edge in the final part of the race. Get a good exit onto the straight, had to lift slightly at just over 300kmh on the left hand kink downhill but boy was it on the edge! Won by 4 seconds in the end. Look forward to more online battles once I've satisfied my fix for both A and B spec.

#491 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:29

Oh God no.

You can bump cars at 140km/hr with no consequences, off-track is too gri........ed by better products elsewhere.

I am genuinely surprised you bought the game!, and by your standards that was a glowing review!

Still I'm loving this game, level 14 ATM, hopefully I find some more time for A-Spec, I'm a bit addicted to online and photomode.

#492 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:44

Wagner is in GT5 :eek: :lol:

#493 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,229 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:49

That camper van race is soo frustratingly slow, I just want to get out and push! I know it's about drafting but I've already done that with the NASCAR special. They should have made it star in a reasonably priced car type event. I liked the Karts though.

#494 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:03

I love it too :)

Its worth pointing out that you win different cars for the various series with Bob, than you do in A-spec. For instance, for the Beginners Cup, I won a road going Civic, and Bob won a Motul Mugen Grp.A. Civic !

#495 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:04

I love b spec too! Nothing better to massage your own ego than let the b spec run to 75% dist in a lowly 4th only to take over and show him how its done and take the win. Id be a **** of a le man team mate!

I didnt know you could jump in and take over from the B driver else I would have done it when I notice him fooling around midpack :lol:

Mostly I only use B-spec when I am busy doing something else like taking a shower or cooking. It would be awesome if you could manage B-spec online. Then my B-Spec driver Mr. Rossi would be busy making some cash while I'm at work.

#496 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 13:01

Am I not alone in scrolling through till I got a good name for my B spec driver? Mr Webber is mine! I didnt know you can take over half way through, is that enduruance events only?

#497 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 14:17

Anybody found a pick-up truck to do that series in?

#498 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,211 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 14:43

I don't remember where but I won a Dodge Ram in one of the previous events and made a few mods for Daytona. I won Laguna stock.

#499 Darth Sidious

Darth Sidious

• 751 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 16:53

You get given one at the end of the International A License for all bronze. You also get a Range rover thingy for all silver. Not sure what you get for all golds. That was beyond my abilities.

Edited by Darth Sidious, 29 November 2010 - 16:53.

Advertisement

#500 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,341 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 20:40

I didnt know you could jump in and take over from the B driver else I would have done it when I notice him fooling around midpack :lol:

Mostly I only use B-spec when I am busy doing something else like taking a shower or cooking. It would be awesome if you could manage B-spec online. Then my B-Spec driver Mr. Rossi would be busy making some cash while I'm at work.

Yea I only used it for end races in gt4. Pretty pointless for short races, why watch a game complete itself? Handy for endurance tho. Could even make the b spec use your setup and tyre choice too. I remember winning the new york race by being slower but making less pitstops than the ai cars :)