* * * * - 6 votes

Gran Turismo 5

• Please log in to reply
1335 replies to this topic

#501 baddog

baddog

• 23,468 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 22:57

Christ license golds are hard with a gamepad!

Im afraid I was up till 3 this morning.. eek this game is NOT good for my career

Advertisement

#502 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 23:43

I find that several golds are out of reach by hudredths or even thousandths of a second and I just can't find that tiny bit more. I keep saying OK, I've got silver, but just one more try...My right thumb is really sore!

#503 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,413 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:14

Im afraid I was up till 3 this morning.. eek this game is NOT good for my career

Yup, you can kiss your social life goodbye as well :wave:

#504 baddog

baddog

• 23,468 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:23

tony, it used to be recognised as a medical condition.. playstation thumb. really. I have it heh

nobody.. social life went the way of such things long ago ;) good job my girlfriend is as bad..

#505 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:36

Anybody found a pick-up truck to do that series in?

You can buy a used Ford F150 or something and I think it's faster than the Dodge stock. I managed to win both races with it stock. It has a bit slower top speed than some of the others at Daytona but you can draft your way to the lead and then block the others.

#506 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:38

tony, it used to be recognised as a medical condition.. playstation thumb. really. I have it heh

nobody.. social life went the way of such things long ago ;) good job my girlfriend is as bad..

During the installation I jokingly told my girl friend that this is my last good bye :lol:

#507 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:42

I find that several golds are out of reach by hudredths or even thousandths of a second and I just can't find that tiny bit more. I keep saying OK, I've got silver, but just one more try...My right thumb is really sore!

I also had a really hard time with getting gold in some of the tests. Then I just looked at the cars prize list and saw that most of the cars are not worth the effort, so from IC I just silvered and only golded the S license, which is relatively easy. The Nissan GT-R 09 is nice to have.

#508 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,178 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:09

Oddly, some licence tests I got gold first try. Sometimes by quite a large margin!! :eek: the first start/stop test and the first rally test being prime examples. :p some, however i can't even get close to.... ): :cry:

#509 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,220 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:23

I'm not proud, I'm happy enough if I get a bronze in any of the tests. I do like to win the races though  ;)

#510 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,999 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:01

When you log on your birthday you get given a car from the year you were born ! (your bithday that you entered when you registered your PSN id.)

My wife got a BMW 2002 Turbo :)

(unscrupulous people might create multiple PSN ids, with various years to get more cars :rolleyes: )

Also, the GT5 facebook page is giving away Crome Jaguar XJ13s ! http://apps.facebook...hetrack/profile - more info http://www.gtplanet....ad.php?t=135391 I got mine :)

#511 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:11

You can buy a used Ford F150 or something and I think it's faster than the Dodge stock. I managed to win both races with it stock. It has a bit slower top speed than some of the others at Daytona but you can draft your way to the lead and then block the others.

Depends if it appears on the list, there where a lot more used cars available on GT4 IIRC.

#512 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:12

When you log on your birthday you get given a car from the year you were born ! (your bithday that you entered when you registered your PSN id.)

My wife got a BMW 2002 Turbo :)

*calls police*

Edited by wewantourdarbyback, 30 November 2010 - 12:14.

#513 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:13

I always found that, used to take ages on them on the old game. Now I have a wheel I whistled through them :lol:

#514 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,999 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 13:45

*calls police*

Lol, thats the model number.

It was made in 1973, as was she.

#515 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 817 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 14:06

*calls police*

Posted Image

here your bmw 2002 from policeĀ 

#516 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 16:28

:lol:

To show the difference between using the pad and wheel (for me anyway) on GT4 I never managed to get the special license using the pad. On GT5 I just whistled through it in no time using my wheel. Well worth it it seems.

#517 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 18:43

well b spec officially seems pointless to me.

Ive been doing it for the last hour just to see what its like. Ive got my driver entered into races normally in a car so fast he cant fail to win. So one, I put him in a car he should win in but it wont be by 10-15secs.

hes useless, he learns nothing and doesnt appear to take instruction! Ive run the same race 3 times, he crashes on the same corner twice in every race and comes second!! Im now sick of the tit smashing my Golf to hell and have stuck him back in running a mental car.

PS just got allowed a second driver, I now have J Vettel to go with my G Weber!

Edited by SRi130Brett, 30 November 2010 - 19:44.

#518 igrf

igrf

• 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 13:49

I bought my ps3 in sept 2008 because I was convinced that I would play GT5 before X-mas ... I didn't expect it to be X-mas 2010 but hey I'm at least happy that they released it eventually !

I only had a chance to play for a couple of hours but the whole GT series really comes to live in HD !
I absolutely love the game !

Sure there are things that could have been done better but I always focus on the good things :)

I love the fact that the money seems very balanced, I've finished the beginners series, am halfway in the amateur series and I never seem to have excess cash so I still need to be carefull with what I spend it on !
I hope they can keep this up till far into the game, I hate it when it gets too easy to buy all the cars you want :)

As I'm playing in my livingroom I don't want to go too much effort to be able to play with a wheel, that's why I ordered the logitech drivingforce wireless.
Looks like the perfect compromise between easy of use and more precise control !
http://www.engadget....-steering-wheel

Just one question, where can I find a list of cars that can be won by completing races/series ?

Thanks

#519 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,607 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 14:09

I bought my ps3 in sept 2008 because I was convinced that I would play GT5 before X-mas ... I didn't expect it to be X-mas 2010 but hey I'm at least happy that they released it eventually !

I only had a chance to play for a couple of hours but the whole GT series really comes to live in HD !
I absolutely love the game !

Sure there are things that could have been done better but I always focus on the good things :)

I love the fact that the money seems very balanced, I've finished the beginners series, am halfway in the amateur series and I never seem to have excess cash so I still need to be carefull with what I spend it on !
I hope they can keep this up till far into the game, I hate it when it gets too easy to buy all the cars you want :)

As I'm playing in my livingroom I don't want to go too much effort to be able to play with a wheel, that's why I ordered the logitech drivingforce wireless.
Looks like the perfect compromise between easy of use and more precise control !
http://www.engadget....-steering-wheel

Just one question, where can I find a list of cars that can be won by completing races/series ?

Thanks

I bought the same wheel for the same purpose, though I had a month to wait just playing F1 on it first... it's a fantastic bit of kit though, really good value.

As for the prize car list... here you go
http://www.gtplanet....ad.php?t=134047

Advertisement

#520 igrf

igrf

• 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 15:03

I bought the same wheel for the same purpose, though I had a month to wait just playing F1 on it first... it's a fantastic bit of kit though, really good value.

As for the prize car list... here you go
http://www.gtplanet....ad.php?t=134047

Thanks for the quick reponse ! :clap:

#521 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 16:53

Oddly, some licence tests I got gold first try. Sometimes by quite a large margin!! :eek: the first start/stop test and the first rally test being prime examples. :p some, however i can't even get close to.... ): :cry:

I think I got two golds on a first run, one of them a short rally stage. Several times I was sort of between silver and gold, and then got progressivly slower as I tried to nail a gold. A case of stop, relax, take a slow deep breath - "Let the Force be with you, Tone" - try one more time then give up and have a glass of wine.

#522 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,413 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:16

I'm finding the lower tests a sh*tload more difficult (to get gold) than the higher ones mostly due to the underpowered machines you have to drive.

The one that's killing me at the moment is the IC class double haripin at Indy in the blue Fairlady Z, any tips?

Edited by Nobody, 02 December 2010 - 02:26.

#523 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,220 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:33

... try one more time then give up and have a glass of wine.

I'm glad I'm not the only one

#524 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:49

I am at level 22 now. The money and XP earned from races now, do not match the money and XP required to buy the needed cars and level to the next races. Since around level 20 you will need to do the same races severel times to have enough XP to level to the next race.

Instead of grinding the same fast easy race over and over again I just do the 1 lap Nurburgring race in a Mercedes SLS to learn the track and gain money/XP at the same time.

#525 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,178 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:01

I think I got two golds on a first run, one of them a short rally stage. Several times I was sort of between silver and gold, and then got progressivly slower as I tried to nail a gold. A case of stop, relax, take a slow deep breath - "Let the Force be with you, Tone" - try one more time then give up and have a glass of wine.

Oops! Misread your post Tony. drunk a bottle of wine, gave up on that when I realised it was empty and then tried again.....

Didn't improve my times, but it was more fun. :lol:

Edited by Tony Mandara, 02 December 2010 - 09:02.

#526 igrf

igrf

• 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:06

I tried B-spec last night, I assume I'll need a tame racing driver by the time I get to the endurance races.
But man Mr yokohama is a total retard, he keeps crashing in the same corner over and over again !

Even though I give him a good car he cannot seem to win races, he's level 4 now and I had to try 4 or 5 times to get him past the FF challenge in a ford focus :(

any tips ?

or a good driving school ? :rolleyes:

Additionally he tries hard for a couple of laps, he's usually made it to the top three by then but seems to fall asleep and let's several cars pass him before the finish !!!

G

Edited by igrf, 02 December 2010 - 09:09.

#527 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:40

Didn't improve my times, but it was more fun. :lol:

That's my boy!

#528 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:23

Ive ditched B spec now, cant see the point in it. My drivers just cannot drive a car, let alone race one and after 25 races theres no obvious improvement.

I managed all gold on B Licence last night, got to test 7 on A which is a BMW wannabe series coupe on the Schumacher S at Nurburgring. I need 0.036 seconds to get gold.... can I do it? AGHHHHHH!

With a test if I get stuck I walk away for a while, watch telly or go on the laptop and then try again. Doesnt normally help but I tell myself it does!!

Edited by SRi130Brett, 02 December 2010 - 11:23.

#529 baddog

baddog

• 23,468 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:34

I managed all gold on B Licence last night, got to test 7 on A which is a BMW wannabe series coupe on the Schumacher S at Nurburgring. I need 0.036 seconds to get gold.... can I do it? AGHHHHHH!

That was my last one of that set for gold and very tricky.. you have to get into that first left with just the tiniest lift and full lock, then full throttle and gently through the right to avoid any sliding. I did it with my dualshock, you on a wheel or controller?

#530 igrf

igrf

• 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:35

Ive ditched B spec now, cant see the point in it. My drivers just cannot drive a car, let alone race one and after 25 races theres no obvious improvement.

Well I managed to improved the performance of my tame racing driver by really guiding him for a whole race.
Tell him to speed up on the easy bits, overtake when he's close on an easy part of the lap and tell him to slow down before difficult corners.
Best is to observe him first and remember the corners that he crashes .....
Anyway this is just as time consuming as driving yourself only slower and less fun so I'm wondering what the point is.

But the good news is that my new wheel (DFW) has been delivered. :clap:
It's quite plasticky but feels pretty good on my lap, can't wait till I get home to give it a try.

#531 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 13:47

That was my last one of that set for gold and very tricky.. you have to get into that first left with just the tiniest lift and full lock, then full throttle and gently through the right to avoid any sliding. I did it with my dualshock, you on a wheel or controller?

Controller mate. I'll get it eventually and the method you describe is the one im using.

#532 baddog

baddog

• 23,468 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 21:08

Worth going on youtube and searching for 'gt5 license b7' and suchlike. there are people who put up videos of their gold runs. much better than the totally crap demo runs in game heh

#533 baddog

baddog

• 23,468 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 21:32

I really do need a wheel (I love the game without, but it would be much better).

I dunno what to do though.. need one I can store in a small space, but can be used on the sofa. Couldnt get on with the lap one and no pedals removes the point for me (its throttle control I miss)

gah. What I really want is a G27 with a frame, but I have nowhere to put it.

#534 igrf

igrf

• 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:01

I dunno what to do though.. need one I can store in a small space, but can be used on the sofa. Couldnt get on with the lap one and no pedals removes the point for me (its throttle control I miss)

gah. What I really want is a G27 with a frame, but I have nowhere to put it.

I played last night with my new driving force wireless(DFW).
I would have preferred pedals etc but also don't have space to put it.
I've played a lot of LFS on my PC using a driving force pro(DFP) so I'll use that as a comparison.

The quality of the DFW is a lot lower than the DFP, but so is the price.
The DFP feels more solid, has less 'play' on the steering shaft and has a better finish.
The DFW is light and has lower power FF motors but steering is precise and the comfort factor of sitting on the couch with the wheel on your lap is high.
The throtlle and brake levers work well, they make controlling the the acceleration and deceleration a lot easier. I finally manage to trail brake and half press the throttle mid corner, something I had trouble with with the ps3 pad.

Bad thing is that I had a look at the options and cannot find anything to calibrate the wheel, straight ahead is slightly off centre and that's very difficult for rolling starts as you really have to concentrate to make sure that the car doesn't move to the left once you get control.

G

#535 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 16:09

I just strap mine to a coffee table. Does the job.

#536 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,607 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 20:14

I just strap mine to a coffee table. Does the job.

Bingo.

#537 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 22:50

Won all the Karting special events now.

My Prize? A new red paint.

#538 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,607 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 23:15

Won all the Karting special events now.

My Prize? A new red paint.

I know :/

I wish there were more of the karting events, or least some more dedicated karting circuits and a proper cup, rather than two kart circuits and a jaunt round the smallest 'big' track.

Taking a break from the game today and tomorrow, just because some of the events have been making me a bit angry when I don't win them :p been doing some studying and swotting before getting back onto it on Sunday.

#539 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 00:05

just finished the karting myself and was thinking its a shame there not more to that aspect of the game.

Licence IC-3 has been screwing me right over tonight. I try for gold on each and those I try for ages at Im close to start with normally, this one Im still 0.15 secs which is light years. grrr

Advertisement

#540 klyster

klyster

• 4,331 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:13

How to get gold in 3 seconds :D

#541 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,220 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:46

would that mean that there are cheats for all the licences?

#542 klyster

klyster

• 4,331 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:10

I think it's a glitch rather than a cheat ;)

#543 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:33

I know :/

I wish there were more of the karting events, or least some more dedicated karting circuits and a proper cup, rather than two kart circuits and a jaunt round the smallest 'big' track.

I think it's slightly offset by the prize money being 119,000 for each on advance.

Edited by wewantourdarbyback, 04 December 2010 - 11:33.

#544 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,322 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 22:08

GT5 to be recalled http://sniffpetrol.c...smo-5-recalled/

#545 Ninjastar

Ninjastar

• 75 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:57

New wheel to be the official wheel for GT5.

Its from Thrustmaster:

Posted Image

Its aimed at the high end of wheels and will go head to head with the G27. Out of the box, it doesnt come with a H pad gear shift but you can one one separately.

#546 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,178 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:07

How to get gold in 3 seconds :D

Aha!

<click>

SurfControl

Access Denied
You are: ****/*******/****
Access to www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GxCY-JTv3U has been denied by SurfControl

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GxCY-JTv3U is categorized as: Streaming Media

Bugger! :evil:

#547 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 17:00

Spent half an hour playing B-spec for the first time sat in the same set up as for A-spec with the wheel. Just realised how pointless that was.

#548 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,211 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 20:13

Spent half an hour playing B-spec for the first time sat in the same set up as for A-spec with the wheel. Just realised how pointless that was.

Hehe...it may seem pointless at 1st but as you get your drivers to higher levels it's a good way of earning cash while you're busy doing other stuff. If I'm doing dishes, watching the game, packing my wheel up for the night, whatever, I'll have my drivers racing and earning me dough. Right now I have them earing me about 16000 in just over 4 min. Of course you have to check up on them as they get bored and need to be told to pick up the pace.

#549 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,999 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 20:30

Hehe...it may seem pointless at 1st but as you get your drivers to higher levels it's a good way of earning cash while you're busy doing other stuff. If I'm doing dishes, watching the game, packing my wheel up for the night, whatever, I'll have my drivers racing and earning me dough. Right now I have them earing me about 16000 in just over 4 min. Of course you have to check up on them as they get bored and need to be told to pick up the pace.

Peeko, I think the point Darby was trying to make, was that he'd sat in his race seat, holding his wheel, whilst Bob drove....

#550 baddog

baddog

• 23,468 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 20:54

Couple more golds ticked off last night. Only the goddamned 2 lap rome race left in that license category. That thing drives me up the wall, or more accurately into the bloody wall heh

Im pretty happy with what Ive been able to achieve with a controller.. some of these golds are HARD.