Gran Turismo 5

• Please log in to reply
1335 replies to this topic

#601 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 23:52

There's trick for Nascar events.
Enable advanced car controls or what they are called from controller setups (you have to map buttons for those). In event, quickly search way to turn ASM off.
now you are able to drive quicker with Nascar car. It won't work from event menu because ASM is locked, but in event it is possible...

not sure what you mean here.
how do you enable advanced car controls?

Advertisement

#602 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,558 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:01

not sure what you mean here.
how do you enable advanced car controls?

From control setups, if you choose assignments for gamepad or wheel buttons, you can see there's options which are not switched on by default. I can't remember what they were called, but value increase and decrease and move up and down.
Map button configuration for them by your own choise and you are able to tweak brake bias, traction control and such in real time racing.

#603 Matti Poika

Matti Poika

• 94 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:09

Just a question guys. I find that a lot of the tuned cars are very unstable under braking. I have a full tuned Gallardo and it's a pain in the hole under braking. It's also liable for the back end to snap out when I lift off the accelerator while going through a corner.

Any suggestion on suspension settings to combat this ?

Really?

Have you installed a rear wing from the auto shop?
I've not done anything to the suspension apart from buying the fully customisable one but I find the maxed out Gallardo one of the most enjoyable cars to drive. When it does let go it's very predictable and extremely easy to catch as long as you keep half a thought on minimising the weight transfer.

#604 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 17:27

I haven't posted for a while in this thread, having been rather busy lately both professionally and personally. I thought this might be a good opportunity, seeing as I had a wonderful online race on Saturday and the 1.05 patch went live this morning.

Update V 1.05 - 608MB Changes as follows

* Seasonal Events: [Seasonal Events] have been added to the [GT Mode] – [GT Life] screen. From here you can participate in official online events from the Polyphony Digital team. In these events, all participants are under the same regulations, and if you complete the event you will win rewards and experience. Compete on the leader boards with players around the world, in Time Trials and Drift Trials!
* Online Collector’s Dealership: An [Online Collector's Dealership] has been added to the left and centre of the [GT Mode]-[GT Life] screen. In here you will find popular and rare cars. You might just come across that one car you’ve always been looking for, that you haven’t been able to find in the [Used Car Dealership].
* Online Race Rewards and Experience: When you complete a race in the [Open Lobby] or [My Lounge], you will now gain rewards and experience points. Even if you are focused more on playing online, you’ll still be able to gain rewards and levels that you need to progress in [GT Life].
* Driving Distance and Number of Wins in Online Races: The driving distance and the number of wins you achieve when you complete a race in [Open Lobby] or [My Lounge] will now affect your stats in [Profile] and the [Garage]. Here the results from your online play will cumulate within [GT Life].
* Improved Rewards: The rewards for winning races in both A-Spec and B-Spec in [GT Mode]-[GT Life] have been increased for a limited time only. (This applies until the end of January 2011.) This is a great chance for those who were previously having difficulties getting ahead in the game, due to a lack of funds for tuning and purchasing required cars.
* Race Information Display: It is now possible to set the [Race Info Display] in [Start]-[Quick Options]. (You can also set this in [Race Display] in [Options]).
* Save Data Backup: You can now copy and restore your save data. For details, please refer to the in-game [Manual].
* User BGM (Menu): From [Options]-[Hardware]-[Audio Settings], it is now possible to set the [User BGM] (Menu)]. (This can also be set from the [Music Library] within [GT Mode]).
* Car Name Change: The official name of “Red Bull X1″ has been changed to the “Red Bull X2010″.
* Integration with the Website: The main features within [GT Mode]-[Community] can now also be accessed through the “gran-turismo.com” official website.
* [Important Note:] We have made improvements to the [Log] within [GT Mode]- [Community] section, in order to make its operation more stable. Please note that the information that was contained here from before the update has been reset.
* The host of an online lobby can now extend the race ending countdown between 20 and 180 seconds after the first placed car crosses the finish line.
* Daily log in bonuses now include 5 paint items as well as museum cards.

I also want to refer you to this video I recorded. There's nothing particularly exciting about this race. But the car, the track, the night to day transition, all in harmony, is something I just find breathtaking. Having 'classic' sports car racing online is something I've been waiting for and I'm very excited that it's finally possible. This was just a test, unplanned, after a few kart races. Being able to drive this car from cockpit view with a G27, using the H-pattern shifter, without assists is about as wonderful as it gets. I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I did.

(The quality is a little lousy as this was recorded off the screen using a video camera).

1965 Alfa TZ2 - Online Race - 3 laps - La Sarthe - 4:30 am start <-- click me. :)

#605 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 22:11

From control setups, if you choose assignments for gamepad or wheel buttons, you can see there's options which are not switched on by default. I can't remember what they were called, but value increase and decrease and move up and down.
Map button configuration for them by your own choise and you are able to tweak brake bias, traction control and such in real time racing.

Thanks!

On another note, am i the only one that finds the rallying section a big let down?
The pacenotes are shit and often late
You can see nothing at night & why no light pods?
The tarmac stages aren't anything like tarmac stages either.....

#606 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 15:18

Just a question guys. I find that a lot of the tuned cars are very unstable under braking. I have a full tuned Gallardo and it's a pain in the hole under braking. It's also liable for the back end to snap out when I lift off the accelerator while going through a corner.

Any suggestion on suspension settings to combat this ?

Are you on racing tyres?

#607 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 16:17

I cured my Ferrari 512BB oversteering when braking by buying the adjustable diff and playing around with that. Makes a hell of a difference.

#608 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,955 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 21:22

I didn't mean to be rude.

But there's people for example for GTA games they get game, seeks cheat codes for everything and goes around doing anything they want. Then they whine how boring it is.

Same applies into GT games. To have X1 and win sunday cup against some 1 litre city cars and it's again time to whine how boring game is...;)

No you are being to o black and white. i don't mind the slow build to get the next car then so on and so forth. The problem is that in GT3 one was asked to compete in a spec race for well over two hours where everyone else was ACHINGLY slow, it was absolute tedium and appears to be the case again from what people are saying here.

The Ai is so shit, i'd prefer 30 5 lap races than one 180 lap race.

#609 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,432 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 00:26

Are you on racing tyres?

Yep. I actually think this is just an issue for mid engined cars.

I have a fully tuned ZR1 and it's great under braking.

#610 baddog

baddog

• 23,587 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 00:46

No you are being to o black and white. i don't mind the slow build to get the next car then so on and so forth. The problem is that in GT3 one was asked to compete in a spec race for well over two hours where everyone else was ACHINGLY slow, it was absolute tedium and appears to be the case again from what people are saying here.

The Ai is so shit, i'd prefer 30 5 lap races than one 180 lap race.

Well no, its a points system, you can get points lots of different ways. Sure some of those races you dont like might give a lot of points and be a somewhat easy route to points, but so what? DOnt do them if you dont like them. All you will miss out on in the specific rewards for doing them, yes?

Have you got the game? wasnt quite clear from your previous posts

#611 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,699 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:36

I finally got to have a go on gt5 yesterday at my brothers house on his 50" tele in full hd,i was quite impressed.i also didnt know it was in 3d?

Edited by Callisto, 23 December 2010 - 01:37.

#612 baddog

baddog

• 23,587 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:39

Yeah it supports 3d. I saw that on a tv in a shop but was not impressed, I like it better at full HD in 2d

Get my wheel on christmas yay

#613 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 14:18

Yeah it supports 3d. I saw that on a tv in a shop but was not impressed, I like it better at full HD in 2d

Me too. There was a demo set-up in a store near me, one of the snow-race rounds. Admittedly the screen was set low and I was standing (6' 4"), so had to adopt the downhill-ski position, and the glasses were on a curly security cord, so exerting a lateral load on me nose (bit like G, come to think of it!), but it didn't look very impressive, just a bit darker. Anyway, I won't be changing my screen for some time...

#614 baddog

baddog

• 23,587 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:05

The 3d definitely worked for me, but didnt add much and the quality was much lower to accomodate it. Im told that for some genres of games its great but Ill stick with quality over gimmicks.

#615 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,432 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 14:36

Finally got past "Like the Wind".

Did it with the Furai concept won on a B spec level.

1. Tune it to the max.
2. Turn off tration control, abs and all driver aids
3. Set camber 3.0 on front and 1.5 on rear.
4. Gear to 230mph
5. Max downforce

Car will easily win.

#616 Darth Sidious

Darth Sidious

• 751 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:27

Finally got past "Like the Wind".

Did it with the Furai concept won on a B spec level.

1. Tune it to the max.
2. Turn off tration control, abs and all driver aids
3. Set camber 3.0 on front and 1.5 on rear.
4. Gear to 230mph
5. Max downforce

Car will easily win.

Didn't do B-spec so never won the Furai, but a tooled up McLaren F1'94 can walk Daytona with 10 seconds to spare. Indy was another matter. Ended up doing the final challenge in Extreme with the F1 which wins a Ford GT LM spec II race car. Shoved a pair of soft racing tyres on and Indy was dusted first time with that. I didn't enjoy B-spec so hope this helps those who can't be arsed with that side of things to get past 'Like The Wind'.

Edited by Darth Sidious, 25 December 2010 - 09:27.

#617 Rob

Rob

• 8,254 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 22:04

I'm very tempted to buy a PS3 and GT5. It looks rather good.

#618 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 23:07

do

its why i bought a ps3!

#619 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:00

Yep, I don't think you would be disappointed. The PS3 is also a great blu-ray player, and has 3D potential.

Advertisement

#620 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,087 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:14

Wow! that sounds much better than I thought it was. Can anyone recommend a good PS3 wheel that is built like the one in my initial post?

I just ordered mine, can't wait:
http://www.fanatec.d...?id=230&lang=en (need to have the clubsport pedals and the shifter set; they also have a wheel stand and a cockpit)

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 31 December 2010 - 09:15.

#621 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:03

Also get a decent set of wheel and pedals.
On my setup, my girlfriends sister tried to drive around the London track in a Ferrari 458 Italia and never got over 80 km/h. She had to be very concentrated and said it felt so realistic and fast :lol:

#622 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,699 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 18:42

I just ordered mine, can't wait:
http://www.fanatec.d...?id=230&lang=en (need to have the clubsport pedals and the shifter set; they also have a wheel stand and a cockpit)

:up:
thats one cool steeringwheel

#623 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,796 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 19:38

My favourite car is the little 350cc Honda Z that I won for completing the Japanese Classic championship...

Got a PS3, GT5 and DFW at the weekend and the highlight so far was defo using the Honda Z to win the lightweight K cup!
Everything streams away from you at the start, but get it wound up and don't go near the brakes and you can doorhandle it on 2 wheels to victory, hugely satisfying! :D
Goal for this evening is that damned 2 lap Rome licence test baddog was having fun with, the walls really are magnetic! ):

#624 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,326 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:07

I'm sorry to say I think this game is absolute pants (I am astonished by the level of criticism of F12010 for what amount to detail errors, compared to this game, which is just intrinsically bad in both concept and execution, imo).

The AI is useless, a bog standard road going Ferrari can beat race prepared LMS cars on Expert level (GT).

Basically there appears to be one driving physics model, which is slow, heavy and lethargic at one end of the spectrum, to fast, light and agile at the other with a scaled engine note sitting over the top. I don't find it very convincing at all - I've owned/drive a number of cars available on the game and the similarities are purely caricature. If they think a Lotus Elise handles like that... This is supposed to be a simulator compared to F12010? Interesting then, the speed that can be carried into a corner without the consequence of understeer, or the power that can be applied to drift a Vyper on oversteer so easily my grandmother could do it blindfold. I am sure there are less complaints about this game because it is so much easier... shoot me down!

What in gods name have they been doing for 6 years, the music that plays when you receive a new car is the same as it was in the original version. Many of the tracks, tests, challenges, are the same. It’s still a Japanese game, full of a million Nissan Skylines from the 90’s but omitting loads of desirable European road and race cars, particularly newer ones. Some of the tracks should be in mariocart – such as that stupid roundabout in the sky track. Some of the errors are abysmal, missing Championship tables, pathetic premium car interiors, and pathetic racing - GT races such as the ‘British Lightweights’ without the best British lightweights even available in the game represented by the AI, and without the AI having bothered to modify these cars in an UNRESTRICTED category... where is the challenge? Are we gamers supposed to take part in 4000 hours of boring racing to earn money only to then suppress the urge to spend the money on better cars and modifications (I thought that was the point) as this would then make the actual racing utterly futile???

This is one big virtual showroom biased massively towards making the Japanese cars seem better than European ones – and an arcade game for kids to think they can drive a 458 Italia to the limit through central London.

It’s good for a bit of online racing and as GV says great for hot lapping a couple of great tracks such as Le Mans and the Green Hell – a riot in a 458 with racing tyres, but the ultimate simulator, pffft.

#625 Kraken

Kraken

• 822 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:10

I'm sorry to say I think this game is absolute pants (I am astonished by the level of criticism of F12010 for what amount to detail errors, compared to this game, which is just intrinsically bad in both concept and execution, imo).

The AI is useless, a bog standard road going Ferrari can beat race prepared LMS cars on Expert level (GT).

Basically there appears to be one driving physics model, which is slow, heavy and lethargic at one end of the spectrum, to fast, light and agile at the other with a scaled engine note sitting over the top. I don't find it very convincing at all - I've owned/drive a number of cars available on the game and the similarities are purely caricature. If they think a Lotus Elise handles like that... This is supposed to be a simulator compared to F12010? Interesting then, the speed that can be carried into a corner without the consequence of understeer, or the power that can be applied to drift a Vyper on oversteer so easily my grandmother could do it blindfold. I am sure there are less complaints about this game because it is so much easier... shoot me down!

What in gods name have they been doing for 6 years, the music that plays when you receive a new car is the same as it was in the original version. Many of the tracks, tests, challenges, are the same. It’s still a Japanese game, full of a million Nissan Skylines from the 90’s but omitting loads of desirable European road and race cars, particularly newer ones. Some of the tracks should be in mariocart – such as that stupid roundabout in the sky track. Some of the errors are abysmal, missing Championship tables, pathetic premium car interiors, and pathetic racing - GT races such as the ‘British Lightweights’ without the best British lightweights even available in the game represented by the AI, and without the AI having bothered to modify these cars in an UNRESTRICTED category... where is the challenge? Are we gamers supposed to take part in 4000 hours of boring racing to earn money only to then suppress the urge to spend the money on better cars and modifications (I thought that was the point) as this would then make the actual racing utterly futile???

This is one big virtual showroom biased massively towards making the Japanese cars seem better than European ones – and an arcade game for kids to think they can drive a 458 Italia to the limit through central London.

It’s good for a bit of online racing and as GV says great for hot lapping a couple of great tracks such as Le Mans and the Green Hell – a riot in a 458 with racing tyres, but the ultimate simulator, pffft.

+1 :up:

#626 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:37

I just want to say that there are so many things you haven't really understood, but trying to adress some of the issues you mention is probably a waist of time.

#627 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 13:40

I just want to say that there are so many things you haven't really understood, but trying to adress some of the issues you mention is probably a waist of time.

I've been racing for 14 years now and the handling physics seem pretty realistic to me - especially in the cars i've driven before

That said I do have 3 small issues with the cars
1. Why is the old Mini classified as German
2. Only the other day I realised that one of the iconic cars from the past is missing - the Ford Escort MkII or even MkI, i'm not that fussy
3. Why didnt they use actual karts, ie:Tonykart/Birel/CRG, as the basis for their karting challenges?

#628 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,326 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 15:42

I've been racing for 14 years now and the handling physics seem pretty realistic to me - especially in the cars i've driven before

Really??? In which category do you race, where you can crash into those around you or drive off the circuit without consequence. For example...

#629 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 16:25

Really??? In which category do you race, where you can crash into those around you or drive off the circuit without consequence. For example...

Online. You get into the right rooms with damage and penalties, you can't get away with that stuff.

There's a setting for the grip level on the edge of the track that is not always ebnabled/available for the in game events so when it isn't, putting two wheels on the grass doesn't do much. But when it is available you can get really screwed. Get two wheels in the sand at Laguna and you are done, just sucks you right in. And in the right rooms against the right drivers online that will be a costly error.

If you stick to playing against the AI all the time, you're bound to be disapointed. It's much better online. I only ever play against the AI to earn quick money to buy cars, and it's usually the same race.

Edited by Peeko, 05 January 2011 - 16:26.

#630 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 16:51

Online. You get into the right rooms with damage and penalties, you can't get away with that stuff.

There's a setting for the grip level on the edge of the track that is not always ebnabled/available for the in game events so when it isn't, putting two wheels on the grass doesn't do much. But when it is available you can get really screwed. Get two wheels in the sand at Laguna and you are done, just sucks you right in. And in the right rooms against the right drivers online that will be a costly error.

If you stick to playing against the AI all the time, you're bound to be disapointed. It's much better online. I only ever play against the AI to earn quick money to buy cars, and it's usually the same race.

Exactly. Againts the right people online it it truely edge of the seat stuff - genuine pressure while leading that you just don't get against AI no matter what game you're playing!

#631 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 17:16

I should point out that the low grip level on the edge of the track is always enabled online.

Edited by Peeko, 05 January 2011 - 17:17.

#632 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,326 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:25

Honestly, I appreciate what you are saying, but ultimately you are dismissing the bulk of my disappointment in this game by saying it’s all fixed if I race online.

I agree that online is better, however, firstly the game wasn’t advertised as a purely online activity, so I think it’s rather remiss to suggest the solution is to ignore the GT mode, and secondly, the handling physics are no different online, just the opposition is better and its more engrossing as a consequence.

Overall the game is flashy, it’s all style over substance.

#633 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:55

This information alone shows how little you have understood.

You dont put racing tires on a 458 and then complain that it is unrealistic with the speed you can carry into corners. Racing tires are for racing cars and if you want to keep the feeling realistic you stay with the sports hards with road cars, even comfort softs if it is not a high performance road car, e.g. a 240hp RX8. Try driving the Nordschleife with a stock Enzo or McLaren F1 with sports hards and all aids off, and tell me its not a challenge to keep it on the road. In most cases it is also with sports hards or comfort softs that you get the most similar times to real life times.

Modifying a road car into a beast and putting racings softs on them and then go winning races against slow AI cars is not really a challenge like you said, but what is to stop you from entering on equal or lesser terms? Like with the British light weight championship you can enter a 800+ hp McLaren MP4 with weight reduction but what is the fun in that? It is up to you to decide how difficult you want to make it. Except for some races where it is a bit more resticted. From what you have been writing, it seems like you are still less than level 20 so I guess you have not reached the Formula GT championship yet. Try that and see if its easy with all aids off.

Actually you have been playing it like a little kid, getting and modifying cars to the extent that its not a challenge anymore :wave:

PS. The game has many flaws but imo you didn't mention any of them. Your "review" looks like one of those from gamesites who have written the review after just playing a game for a few hours.

Edited by Arn, 06 January 2011 - 10:59.

#634 baddog

baddog

• 23,587 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:41

Honestly, I appreciate what you are saying, but ultimately you are dismissing the bulk of my disappointment in this game by saying it’s all fixed if I race online.

I agree that online is better, however, firstly the game wasn’t advertised as a purely online activity, so I think it’s rather remiss to suggest the solution is to ignore the GT mode, and secondly, the handling physics are no different online, just the opposition is better and its more engrossing as a consequence.

Overall the game is flashy, it’s all style over substance.

On the contrary, if anything its the opposite. Its NOT the game that gives you instant kicks racing fast ubercars against other ubercars. Its not full of pointless fripperies and effects. The game is really incredibly simple, its cars on tracks.

As described above, its a game that rewards being taken seriously. Im taking it slow, and always racing things in cars that are not better than my opponents. I generally start a series in an unmodified car from the lot or a dealer and make incremental upgrades.. the best result is to win with a car thats slightly worse than my rivals, and this is usually possible with effort and skill (and no, the vast majority of the time slamming into people/running off track does not win at all as you end up backwards or stopped by friction and the very detailed handling physics which has NO canned effects)

If the game devs made 2 mistakes it is that they dont FORCE you to play it sensibly, you can ruin your own game if you dont 'get it', and they dont explain the incremental damage model at all.

#635 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,326 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 16:53

This information alone shows how little you have understood.

You dont put racing tires on a 458 and then complain that it is unrealistic with the speed you can carry into corners. Racing tires are for racing cars and if you want to keep the feeling realistic you stay with the sports hards with road cars, even comfort softs if it is not a high performance road car, e.g. a 240hp RX8. Try driving the Nordschleife with a stock Enzo or McLaren F1 with sports hards and all aids off, and tell me its not a challenge to keep it on the road. In most cases it is also with sports hards or comfort softs that you get the most similar times to real life times.

Modifying a road car into a beast and putting racings softs on them and then go winning races against slow AI cars is not really a challenge like you said, but what is to stop you from entering on equal or lesser terms? Like with the British light weight championship you can enter a 800+ hp McLaren MP4 with weight reduction but what is the fun in that? It is up to you to decide how difficult you want to make it. Except for some races where it is a bit more resticted. From what you have been writing, it seems like you are still less than level 20 so I guess you have not reached the Formula GT championship yet. Try that and see if its easy with all aids off.

Actually you have been playing it like a little kid, getting and modifying cars to the extent that its not a challenge anymore :wave:

PS. The game has many flaws but imo you didn't mention any of them. Your "review" looks like one of those from gamesites who have written the review after just playing a game for a few hours.

Been to many track days? Thought not. You'll find plenty of us who don't drive home on the same set of rubber we lapped on...
It doesn't matter if I am on level 1 or level 40 and it doesn't matter if I have played the game for 1 hr or 1000. Its none of your business. I have formed my own subjective opinion based on my own experiences and who the hell are you to tell me they are wrong eh?
On the point you mention. Can you explain to me why in a championship where tuning is allowed, none of the AI cars entered are tuned or even close to the best possible stock entrants? Why is the onus constantly on me to resist the urge to enter the quickest car I can get my hands on??? Why then am I being asked to work towards purchasing faster cars if your telling me the object of the exercise is to exercise discretion for a fairer race? What is WRONG about me thinking the game would be better if the AI entered cars that would actually be COMPETITIVE within the criteria for said race? Unless you designed the game personally, I fail to see how you would lose any face by admitting that perhaps the onus on humans to resist the urge to enter fast cars is rather counter intuitive to the object of GT mode... Or perhaps you won't see it.

#636 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,326 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 17:00

On the contrary, if anything its the opposite. Its NOT the game that gives you instant kicks racing fast ubercars against other ubercars. Its not full of pointless fripperies and effects. The game is really incredibly simple, its cars on tracks.

As described above, its a game that rewards being taken seriously. Im taking it slow, and always racing things in cars that are not better than my opponents. I generally start a series in an unmodified car from the lot or a dealer and make incremental upgrades.. the best result is to win with a car thats slightly worse than my rivals, and this is usually possible with effort and skill (and no, the vast majority of the time slamming into people/running off track does not win at all as you end up backwards or stopped by friction and the very detailed handling physics which has NO canned effects)

If the game devs made 2 mistakes it is that they dont FORCE you to play it sensibly, you can ruin your own game if you dont 'get it', and they dont explain the incremental damage model at all.

I disagree.

The settings like traction control and stability control should control the parameters for difficulty (and perhaps it should have AI levels like say F12010).

But, the PURPOSE of GT mode is to win races to buy faster cars, to race and win more races and money - so playing it 'sensibly' resisting the urge to win and enter these faster cars and win more easily is definately contradictory to the objective of GT.

The game is flawed in this area as the AI should be entering more competitive machinery, if such machinery is admissable within the rules of that race. Who in their right mind brings a knife to a gunfight?!

#637 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,211 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 17:55

I disagree.

The settings like traction control and stability control should control the parameters for difficulty (and perhaps it should have AI levels like say F12010).

But, the PURPOSE of GT mode is to win races to buy faster cars, to race and win more races and money - so playing it 'sensibly' resisting the urge to win and enter these faster cars and win more easily is definately contradictory to the objective of GT.

The game is flawed in this area as the AI should be entering more competitive machinery, if such machinery is admissable within the rules of that race. Who in their right mind brings a knife to a gunfight?!

The game has always been flawed in this area, its nothing new. It's why it always got boring so quickly. Now that you can play online it doens't bother me at all, but I couldn't understand why they couldn't put a slider to increase the strength of the AI cars.

You said it yourself, Aspec events are for building the bank. I don't care that it's easy or a joke. I can race all the same tracks online against better cars and competition. If you want the best experince you need to race against other drivers, not the AI. IF the drivers in your room aren't challenging enough, you go find another room.

Edited by Peeko, 06 January 2011 - 17:59.

#638 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,085 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 22:57

Rinehart, I can fix your problem, don't tune anything, don't change the tyres, turn off all aids - just enter a car. Yes you'll win some easily, others not so easy.

Some people might want to easily win races by entering a highly tuned car and turn all the aids on, but thats their deal.. if you want a challenge do the above - thats fair enough too. I've been entering races in underpowered cars/stock cars (in model specific races) because I don't really see the point of "racing" with a huge advantage..

Edited by Crafty, 06 January 2011 - 22:58.

#639 baddog

baddog

• 23,587 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:24

But the purpose is to get faster cars and upgrade them to race in the faster series..

I can see it would be nice to have a slider, but its not as broken as you make out at all

Advertisement

#640 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:45

Been to many track days? Thought not. You'll find plenty of us who don't drive home on the same set of rubber we lapped on...
It doesn't matter if I am on level 1 or level 40 and it doesn't matter if I have played the game for 1 hr or 1000. Its none of your business. I have formed my own subjective opinion based on my own experiences and who the hell are you to tell me they are wrong eh?
On the point you mention. Can you explain to me why in a championship where tuning is allowed, none of the AI cars entered are tuned or even close to the best possible stock entrants? Why is the onus constantly on me to resist the urge to enter the quickest car I can get my hands on??? Why then am I being asked to work towards purchasing faster cars if your telling me the object of the exercise is to exercise discretion for a fairer race? What is WRONG about me thinking the game would be better if the AI entered cars that would actually be COMPETITIVE within the criteria for said race? Unless you designed the game personally, I fail to see how you would lose any face by admitting that perhaps the onus on humans to resist the urge to enter fast cars is rather counter intuitive to the object of GT mode... Or perhaps you won't see it.

Sorry to say but I think you have misunderstood something again. Although they are called racing tires in GT5 they cannot really be compared to the rubber you put on your car on track day, not even if they were slick tires. Especially racing softs, they give unrealistic amount of grip and make it much easier to control the cars. Heck, you can put them on a modded DTM car with just over 600hp and beat Stefan Bellofs track record of 6:11 on Nordschleife. So it is wrong of you to have done so and then call it unrealistic, because just because you can play it like that doesn't mean you have to. It is just and option for those who will find it hard with lesser tires. Likewise with the tuning options. Many people cannot win the races without this option, heck some people are actually complaining that some races are too hard to beat. So with this option there is something for everybody.

And yes, it does matter if you are level 1 or 40. It shows how much time and effort you have put into it and thus you might have gotten a better understanding of the game. But from reading some things you wrote some time ago, it looks like you already formed your opinion before you played it.

Basically you are wrong because most of the things you are complaining about are easily fixed if you want to.

Edited by Arn, 07 January 2011 - 09:00.

#641 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:54

I disagree.

Maybe that is the purpose for you. For me it is just to have fun, and it is much more fun to come second in a race in a lesser car after you have driven an almost perfect race, than to cruise to an easy win with a fast car.

I agree though that it would have been nice with different AI levels.

#642 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,326 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:36

Basically you are wrong because most of the things you are complaining about are easily fixed if you want to.

How is the fact I find the game to be generally too flashy, childish, japanese, unrealistic and ill-conceived in my OPINION "Easily Fixed" please?

Avoiding the main mode, most of the tracks, the tuning section, the physics and handling imperfections is not the answer. I don't consider ignoring something, or creating a different reason to play GT5 in my mind, a soluton.

Look I think the game is a 5/10 at best. Not everyone is going to be happy and I have no gripe with the makers of the game. I'll still race GT5 for hotlapping and online but back to F12010 in the main for me, a far, far superior simulated RACING experience in my opinion.

#643 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:06

How is the fact I find the game to be generally too flashy, childish, japanese, unrealistic and ill-conceived in my OPINION "Easily Fixed" please?

Avoiding the main mode, most of the tracks, the tuning section, the physics and handling imperfections is not the answer. I don't consider ignoring something, or creating a different reason to play GT5 in my mind, a soluton.

Look I think the game is a 5/10 at best. Not everyone is going to be happy and I have no gripe with the makers of the game. I'll still race GT5 for hotlapping and online but back to F12010 in the main for me, a far, far superior simulated RACING experience in my opinion.

Yes agreed, we just have different opinions on what is right or wrong, good or bad. I just find that imo the most important aspect, which is the handling of the cars are very good, and make for some nice online racing.

BTW, why dont you want to listen and just skip those racing tires and give it a go on sports hards? Even the developers themselves said back in previous GT releases that the most realistic driving experiences is with sports tires.

No one said you had to avoid all those things, just use them differently than what you do.

Flashy, childish and ill-conceived is just a matter of taste. Japanese, well it is a japanese game and also that is a matter of taste if you like that. Unrealistic, again because you made some choices that made it so, which is easily fixed. Caranddriver has also tested the game, and their opinion is also that the physics of GT5 is the most realistic in a consol game.

Talk about racing, then for me, racing an AI can never feel realistic, that leaves only online racing left, besides the gokart racing i do. I qualified for the finals in the danish amateur indoor gokart championship and in the gokart league where I am starting my 6. season, I placed second last season, so I am not totally new to racing.

#644 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,326 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 14:07

Yes agreed, we just have different opinions on what is right or wrong, good or bad. I just find that imo the most important aspect, which is the handling of the cars are very good, and make for some nice online racing.

BTW, why dont you want to listen and just skip those racing tires and give it a go on sports hards? Even the developers themselves said back in previous GT releases that the most realistic driving experiences is with sports tires.

No one said you had to avoid all those things, just use them differently than what you do.

Flashy, childish and ill-conceived is just a matter of taste. Japanese, well it is a japanese game and also that is a matter of taste if you like that. Unrealistic, again because you made some choices that made it so, which is easily fixed. Caranddriver has also tested the game, and their opinion is also that the physics of GT5 is the most realistic in a consol game.

Talk about racing, then for me, racing an AI can never feel realistic, that leaves only online racing left, besides the gokart racing i do. I qualified for the finals in the danish amateur indoor gokart championship and in the gokart league where I am starting my 6. season, I placed second last season, so I am not totally new to racing.

Appreciate your response. I just wish those super sticky tyres weren't available. I appear to lack the self control to resist bolting them on!!!

#645 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,699 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 15:42

I wanted to ask a question about gt5,my bro is going away for 3 weeks and is leaving me his ps3 & gt5 for 3 weeks,can i start the game again under a different profile?,so i dont ruin his progress?.thanks
nick

#646 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,085 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 15:51

I wanted to ask a question about gt5,my bro is going away for 3 weeks and is leaving me his ps3 & gt5 for 3 weeks,can i start the game again under a different profile?,so i dont ruin his progress?.thanks
nick

Create a new PSN account in the XMB before launching the game :up:

#647 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,699 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 18:35

Create a new PSN account in the XMB before launching the game :up:

:up:
thanks Crafty

#648 baddog

baddog

• 23,587 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 21:55

Appreciate your response. I just wish those super sticky tyres weren't available. I appear to lack the self control to resist bolting them on!!!

Go for it and let us know.. seriously, there IS a really fun game in there waiting to be found.

#649 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 23:41

I've just unlocked the endurance mode, thanks to the seasonal thing. But you can't save at all??? I know endurance means endurance etc. But I can't play it straight for 4 hours let alone a 24 hour race. That's pretty poor.

#650 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,466 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 00:35

Just started playing tonight, it's soooo much harder in 3D! I turned it off playing in 2D and stopped crashing! Early days yet but it's good!