* * * * - 6 votes

Gran Turismo 5

• Please log in to reply
1335 replies to this topic

#701 Mat

Mat

• 7,677 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:42

Yup, AI was my biggest gripe with any racing game. It's never been done right. Admittedly, it would be the hardest part to perfect IMO.

Eventually I realised the best AI is no-AI. Online is the way to go.

Advertisement

#702 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 13:14

Yup, AI was my biggest gripe with any racing game. It's never been done right. Admittedly, it would be the hardest part to perfect IMO.

Eventually I realised the best AI is no-AI. Online is the way to go.

Agreed, you cant really call it racing when its against the AI. I havent played A-spec since the middle of december after I did the Vettel challenge. All my time is spent online, mostly on the ring. I have become quite good at racing around the ring in different race cars and a few road cars.

Money I get from having B-spec bob going around Tokyo in the X1 in the dream car race.

#703 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,211 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 13:29

I gave up and Flea-bay'd GT5 last month.

Excellent. You now have no need to post in this thread anynmore.

Edited by Peeko, 27 January 2011 - 13:39.

#704 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 15:16

Excellent. You now have no need to post in this thread anymore.

Doubt many agree with this post.

Although I must say GT5s handling is nowhere near as realistic as Need For Puberty:Sticky Fingers :drunk:

#705 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,978 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 18:18

Ah the never ending search for realistic AI. That review sounded very much like the F1 2010 reviews I read regarding the AI cars.

Nah see with online I have given up on that, it's the need for 3 hour marathons where you're faster than the AI by 5 seconds a lap but you have to do the race so you can get the car to go online. It's the format that stinks.

#706 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,433 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 19:26

Nah see with online I have given up on that, it's the need for 3 hour marathons where you're faster than the AI by 5 seconds a lap but you have to do the race so you can get the car to go online. It's the format that stinks.

You need to adjust your car for the race. Don't go with your fastest car or run with a shitty setup to equalize things.

#707 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,978 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 19:53

You need to adjust your car for the race. Don't go with your fastest car or run with a shitty setup to equalize things.

That's mentioned in the review too. So now I am racing for a great car but feel obliged not to use it because the racing is dull. Why do i want the car again?

#708 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,559 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:30

I've noticed you need proper tires, full adjustable suspension and in some cases full adjustable transmission. That's enough, if you don't want just to"kill" other opponents in ordinary racing.

#709 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,433 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:12

Bought the Bentley Speed 8 and Sauber C9 today from the online dealership.

Couldn't resist it. Set me back more than 10m.

#710 pRy

pRy

• 10,997 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 15:35

Does the Top Gear track ever become unlocked so you can drive it in arcade mode or is it always restricted to special event races?

#711 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,433 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 16:38

Does the Top Gear track ever become unlocked so you can drive it in arcade mode or is it always restricted to special event races?

I think once you win the first race in the Special events it becomes unlocked.

#712 pRy

pRy

• 10,997 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 17:26

Yeah unlocked it after finally winning. :)

#713 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,559 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 18:55

Phew...license tests 60 x gold. :)

#714 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:00

Also in Need For Speed, Shift.

Except those Porsches ALL have cockpits and full damage, and are full race modifiable.

You really are an idiot.

#715 pRy

pRy

• 10,997 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 13:46

My latest purchase:

http://img201.images...ullhangar7c.jpg

Looking forward to throwing racing soft's on it and thrashing it around the topgear track. :)

#716 baddog

baddog

• 23,599 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 21:46

You really are an idiot.

He also laughably fails to notice that the TOTAL car count in NFS-shift (a game with the same cover price as GT5) is much less than the number of premium cars in GT5, let alone the overall car count, which is more than TEN times as many in GT. Tracks is the same.

#717 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,978 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 22:29

Sort of, GT has always sorta fudged the car count, they'll say 600 cars of which 300 are skyline/GTR variants, 50 are WRX variants and another 100 are shitboxes like stock Cappuccino's.

#718 baddog

baddog

• 23,599 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:15

Sort of, GT has always sorta fudged the car count, they'll say 600 cars of which 300 are skyline/GTR variants, 50 are WRX variants and another 100 are shitboxes like stock Cappuccino's.

Yeah (though looking at my garage you are very much being hyperbolic) but thats true of all car games.. Certainly GT blows small games like NFS out of the water on both quantity and range of cars, and on value for money its just not even close.

I like a lot of the small road cars anyway, they are fun to drive in the right events.

Anyone else been doing the seasonal events? I find them quite an amusing thing and they give very good money and xp.

#719 pRy

pRy

• 10,997 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:41

How does the used car dealership work?

I saw an early NSX in there.. I'm thinking from Senna's time as it was '93 model if i'm not mistaken.

Didn't have enough cash so went and won a few races, came back and it's gone! Do they refresh over time or is it based on when you go and do an event, it then refreshes?

Advertisement

#720 baddog

baddog

• 23,599 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:54

I saw an early NSX in there.. I'm thinking from Senna's time as it was '93 model if i'm not mistaken.

Didn't have enough cash so went and won a few races, came back and it's gone! Do they refresh over time or is it based on when you go and do an event, it then refreshes?

I thought it changed by day but Im told now that it changes every time you either finish a race or do a license test.. it loads 6 new cars and drops 6 off every time.

Its very annoying sometimes (like I want a euro touring car now. last week there were 2. now not a one) but also gets you buying some interesting cars.

#721 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 13:05

The way the used car dealership works is very simple. Every time you load a track, whether in A-spec, B-spec, license test, special event or online race, it refreshes with 6 new cars and the 6 oldest cars disappear. This for some weird reason doesnt happen when you load a track in practice mode though. After the latest update in A- and B-spec you also dont need to load the track again after each time you have finished a race, so after the first race you will get 6 new cars for each begun race.

So the way to refresh all 30 cars the fastest, is just to enter a license test and scroll through to the next 4, which can be done in a few minutes.

#722 pRy

pRy

• 10,997 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 13:54

Ah thanks for the clarification. :)

#723 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 16:30

I thought it changed by day but Im told now that it changes every time you either finish a race or do a license test.. it loads 6 new cars and drops 6 off every time.

It will change every 3 races (need to be different locations) or 3 license tests. I got the Nissan R92 and the Sauber C9 by loading the first 3 licence tests over and over and over. Too bad the Sauber became available in the online dealership last Wednesday.

Edited by Peeko, 31 January 2011 - 16:31.

#724 pRy

pRy

• 10,997 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 18:20

I have a lot more respect for the stig now.. took my ferrari to the top gear track.. damn i suck. :) Those corners seem a lot more tricky than they look on TV.

#725 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 18:54

I have a lot more respect for the stig now.. took my ferrari to the top gear track.. damn i suck. :) Those corners seem a lot more tricky than they look on TV.

They're even trickier when all the cones have been run over!

#726 pRy

pRy

• 10,997 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 18:55

My only complaint about the track is the invisible walls. Sometimes I wouldn't mind flying off onto the grass but the game never lets you.

#727 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,978 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 19:35

My only complaint about the track is the invisible walls. Sometimes I wouldn't mind flying off onto the grass but the game never lets you.

Why???

#728 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 20:29

Why???

I reckon he wants to crash into the plane.

Well, I do.

#729 pRy

pRy

• 10,997 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 21:12

Why???

I just feel it ruins the flow of the experience. If I screw up and end up on the grass, I want to spin out on the grass or at least carry on and drive back onto the circuit. That 'bump' noise the game makes and slows you down just adds an element of total make believe to an otherwise 'realistic' experience for me. Why go to the trouble of creating a really good simulator experience and then bounce you off an invisible wall if you get it wrong. I'm not expecting to be able to drive all the way home but surely they could have opened up the grass a little more, that's all.

#730 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 21:36

I just feel it ruins the flow of the experience. If I screw up and end up on the grass, I want to spin out on the grass or at least carry on and drive back onto the circuit. That 'bump' noise the game makes and slows you down just adds an element of total make believe to an otherwise 'realistic' experience for me. Why go to the trouble of creating a really good simulator experience and then bounce you off an invisible wall if you get it wrong. I'm not expecting to be able to drive all the way home but surely they could have opened up the grass a little more, that's all.

I hate it. I don't expect these rounds to be easy, but I do expect them to be interesting, if not fun. The cars handle so badly and unrealistically as it is, without all that crap fading to black. If I hit a cone or get off line I want to get back on track and chase the rest, even if it's for last place. So, I agree!

#731 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 23:42

I'll have a look for you. PM me your PSN-id and i'll buy one for you if it pops up. But I thought you could buy the early 93 NSX premium. Try the Acura showroom

#732 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,978 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 00:58

No I mean why was it designed like that? Sounds absolute shite to me.

#733 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 13:57

I'll have a look for you. PM me your PSN-id and i'll buy one for you if it pops up. But I thought you could buy the early 93 NSX premium. Try the Acura showroom

Thats right, you can buy the 91 NSX premium in the Acura showroom. It can also be race modified and handles really well :)

#734 pRy

pRy

• 10,997 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 16:58

Ah didn't know about Acura! Thanks :) got the car now. Lots of sliding around Suzuka.. a lot of fun.

#735 baddog

baddog

• 23,599 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 22:01

Is it bragging to say that I didnt know about the invisible walls at the top gear track?

;)

However the invisible walls in general are one of the things i actually DO find annoying. The toscana rally track is brilliant.. but the invisible walls are far too close to the road and often spoil the fun.

#736 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,796 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 18:29

If you've got gold on the Elise challenge then yes it is! :p Got there eventually but took some doing on those concrete tyres.
I'm getting to the point already where there isn't much left to do that doesn't take hours on end. :well:
Hopefully the new seasonals will be up tonight though.

#737 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,702 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 20:29

Im kinda stuck on the pre 1979 classic cars race in expert level.i cant afford the 20.000.000 cars.any ideas?

#738 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 22:39

If you've got gold on the Elise challenge then yes it is! :p Got there eventually but took some doing on those concrete tyres.
I'm getting to the point already where there isn't much left to do that doesn't take hours on end. :well:
Hopefully the new seasonals will be up tonight though.

Same here. I'm just doing the seasonal events at the moment. I've done the 60 lap race, which took 2 hours. And I may do the 90 lap race round Laguna Seca. But it's finding the time and being bothered to do it. If they introduce a save facility then i'll do the other races. Otherwise, I won't.

#739 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,978 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 23:10

Same here. I'm just doing the seasonal events at the moment. I've done the 60 lap race, which took 2 hours. And I may do the 90 lap race round Laguna Seca. But it's finding the time and being bothered to do it. If they introduce a save facility then i'll do the other races. Otherwise, I won't.

That's what I am on about, I mean really, must it be 2 hours given how SHITE the Ai is?

Advertisement

#740 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 23:38

Im kinda stuck on the pre 1979 classic cars race in expert level.i cant afford the 20.000.000 cars.any ideas?

I won it using a ferrari 512bb that I:
Lightened,
stage 3 engine tune & basically every engine tune possible
5 speed close ratio box
racing lsd (initial torque 35, acceleration sensitivity 49, braking 30)
semi-racing flywheel
customisable suspension (pretty low & harden everything up, )
soft racing tyres
still bloody hard work though!

#741 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 23:49

That's what I am on about, I mean really, must it be 2 hours given how SHITE the Ai is?

Exactly. Just driving around. It took me 4 hours in total to do it, as I couldn't be bothered and didn't want to do it in one go.

#742 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,702 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:57

I won it using a ferrari 512bb that I:
Lightened,
stage 3 engine tune & basically every engine tune possible
5 speed close ratio box
racing lsd (initial torque 35, acceleration sensitivity 49, braking 30)
semi-racing flywheel
customisable suspension (pretty low & harden everything up, )
soft racing tyres
still bloody hard work though!

thats the car i tried but coudnt doi it
ill try the lsd settings and alter the ride height..
cheers :up:

#743 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:04

I think I used the Buick '62, tuned up a bit, either that or the Lambourghini Countach Lp400 '74.

Both are prize cars, the Buick in Amateur Classis Muscle car, and the Countach in the Professional Lambourghini exclusive.

Or you could wait until you've won the B-spec Extreme Like the wind, and use the Toyota 7.

#744 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,559 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:35

Get Dodge Challenger and before you go any furhter, buy Racing Modification for it so you can get some additional front downforce (Buying Racing Modification removes other upgrades you have got for car, so do this immediately). RM will give most of upgrades to you so you have to buy soft racing slicks and get oil change.
I have habit to set car oversteering by stiffening front suspension and adding strong dambers (compression and decompression) and mid anti roll bar. Rear suspension is 70% of front one as stiffness and dambers and antiroll bars set middle.
Challenger RM will win event quite good, but be very afraid of enemy's Toyota 7.

Edited by The Kanisteri, 04 February 2011 - 12:36.

#745 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 14:27

thats the car i tried but coudnt doi it
ill try the lsd settings and alter the ride height..
cheers :up:

Oh and drive very dirty!
Proper stock car racing style!

Edited by kosmic33, 04 February 2011 - 14:27.

#746 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,190 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 14:47

Hoaarrrrrgggwh!! :evil:

I have absolutley had it with the 2nd nascar challenge... The damn thing starts me too high on the track (above the row of cones!) and gives me control far too late ): It plasters text over the screen blocking my sight of where the cones start (!) meaning I have to swerve violently to the left costing a bunch of time and totally de-stablising the car..... 3 tenths under on every try. ): :evil: ): :evil:

Edited by Tony Mandara, 04 February 2011 - 14:50.

#747 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 16:05

Hoaarrrrrgggwh!! :evil:

I have absolutley had it with the 2nd nascar challenge... The damn thing starts me too high on the track (above the row of cones!) and gives me control far too late ): It plasters text over the screen blocking my sight of where the cones start (!) meaning I have to swerve violently to the left costing a bunch of time and totally de-stablising the car..... 3 tenths under on every try. ): :evil: ): :evil:

Turn off the ABS in the driving aids screen before the start.

This also disables the ASM, which is slowing you down.

But I agree about the lateness of the control.

#748 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,702 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 17:08

I did it :up:
Thanks cosmic33 for the lsd settings
Thanks kanisteri for the suspension settings,i found it better with oversteer

#749 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,796 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 18:12

Yes I found out about the ABS trick for the Nascars yesterday and went from sub-bronze to all gold in one session.
For the Historic racing car cup, I found the easiest way is to go do the Indy 500 in the endurance race, you get an XJ 13 for winning it :love:
That pretty well breezes it, but it still doesn't hurt to shove the J2 into the wall at St Devote :D

#750 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 1,583 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 21:34

I saw a few weeks ago someone was saying the best way to do the rally stages was to use manual gears. I initially had problems in auto mode for the Seb challenges, but I changed to the C4 and turned off TC and it worked a treat. The TC seems to stop you using any power while the steering it anything other than straight ahead.

Was playing the 2 player for the first time last night, is there any way to get a reply of 2 player races? It only gave us the option to race again after the races. I don't bother with replays in single player, but we need time to have a beer between races and somtimes it can be amusing to see how one of us lost it.

Steve.