* * * * - 6 votes

Gran Turismo 5

• Please log in to reply
1335 replies to this topic

#751 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 19:09

Was playing the 2 player for the first time last night, is there any way to get a reply of 2 player races? It only gave us the option to race again after the races. I don't bother with replays in single player, but we need time to have a beer between races and somtimes it can be amusing to see how one of us lost it.

Steve.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Still no :) The cpu cycles used by the replay saving routines, are needed to give a smooth display during two player mode.

Advertisement

#752 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 1,583 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 23:36

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Still no :) The cpu cycles used by the replay saving routines, are needed to give a smooth display during two player mode.

I'd have thought they'd just stream car coordinates and a few other values (engine and tyre revs, etc), to memory or the disc. I didn't think it'd take that much processor time, or like previous versions they'd drop the detail level to allow it. Ho hum, Maybe GT7 on the PS4...

Steve.

#753 TF110

TF110

• 1,023 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:02

Any of you race online? I usually try to during the early hours (GMT). freshseth83 is my PSN, if you guys are on look me up. I like the SuperGT cars, the GTR is awesome. I'm up for any challenge though, and I've gotten most of the game down, so if there's any questions I'll be checking this forum out a lot, hit me up.

I used the Camaro Z28 premium race modded with soft tires to win the historic championship. It lacks top end power but you'll be ok with soft tires thanks to it's supreme handling.

#754 Ansky

Ansky

• 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:31

Ive got one... How do I go about adjusting my fully customizable transmission?????

#755 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 14:54

Ive got one... How do I go about adjusting my fully customizable transmission?????

If you mean "How do I adjust each gear separately ?" the answer is you can't, yet. This feature is comming soon.

If you mean "How do I adjust them at all ?" Just before you start a race, go into settings (the spanner icon) click on transmission, on the lefthand side, then select the little dial, in the middle at the top. then select the blue dial, next to max speed, and it will increase/decreas the gearing accordingly.

#756 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,433 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 18:23

Anyone do the Ferrari seasonal race ? Is it worth it in terms of XP ?

I have enough cash for the F2007 or the F10 but dunno whether it's worth it.

#757 monza2001

monza2001

• 122 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 21:26

Anyone do the Ferrari seasonal race ? Is it worth it in terms of XP ?

I have enough cash for the F2007 or the F10 but dunno whether it's worth it.

FFC (Ferrari Formula Challenge)
Tokyo (10) - 113,000cr + 28,000 XP
Nurburgring GP (10) - 143,600cr + 35,900 XP
Indy Road (10) - 111,200cr + 27,800 XP

#758 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,433 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 22:16

FFC (Ferrari Formula Challenge)
Tokyo (10) - 113,000cr + 28,000 XP
Nurburgring GP (10) - 143,600cr + 35,900 XP
Indy Road (10) - 111,200cr + 27,800 XP

That really isn't worth it. Certainly not investing in a 10m Ferrari to do it anyways.

#759 baddog

baddog

• 23,600 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 22:46

Seasonal Challenges generally provide rewards designed to pay for the car needed to beat them, plus a bit. Maybe you are missing something there?

Advertisement

#760 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,559 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:17

Seasonal Challenges generally provide rewards designed to pay for the car needed to beat them, plus a bit. Maybe you are missing something there?

Largest amount of money I have had in game was about 5 million credits which I saved for being able to get formula gt championship to done. Past seasonal events has been generous what comes on money, but I spent them elsewhere. Now I'm "broke" 150 000 credits and have to do Ferrari F1 special events in two weeks. Very unlikely I get this done because I still have to go work on week. :p

New events gives few thousands of credits and I have no time nor patience doing some of events hundreds of times for being able to buy Ferrari F1 car.

Edited by The Kanisteri, 13 February 2011 - 08:21.

#761 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 1,583 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 22:27

What cars have people used for the Expert All Stars and Historic races? I've tried a few, but they don't compete with the others. Just trying to save myself the bother of buying cars that won't be useful.

Ta,

Steve.

#762 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,433 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 00:36

What cars have people used for the Expert All Stars and Historic races? I've tried a few, but they don't compete with the others. Just trying to save myself the bother of buying cars that won't be useful.

Ta,

Steve.

Won the Historic Cup in A-Spec using a fulled modded Lamob Countach.

If you can't win it with that, you can get a Toyota 7 by winning "Like the Wind" in B-Spec. You should easily win it using that car.

My advice aswell is to buy a Corvette ZR1 and race modify it. Will serve you well for A-Spec Expert and Extreme. Should be good for All Stars series too. You'll need it for "Like the Wind" in Extreme.

#763 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 13:59

According to Kazunori Yamamuchi's twitter account, a major patch is due out on Friday, Feb 18th. Among the the new revisions and bug fixes:

1. A fix for the ever increasing game save problem. (Browsing the museum cards causes your file save to keep growing exponentially to the point where it's more than 4MB in size and the game will no longer load. People who make extensive use of the Museum have already experienced this problem. If your game save is already larger than 3.5MB, you might want to stay out of the museum until the patch is out.

2. A fix for fully customizable transmissions which will allow you to change the ratio on individual gears and not just the final drive.

3. A new Performance Point System, probably similar to what existed in Prologue where cars will be assigned a number based upon a formula of variables including weight, hp, tires, downforce, etc.

4. Improved penalty zones at various tracks to prevent corner cutting.

I'm sure there are many more. Unfortunately PD is about 15 years behind other modern companies when it comes to communicating what's in their patches.

#764 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,978 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 14:56

How do you take 6 years then need patches to fix problems? head scratcher IMHO.

#765 Ansky

Ansky

• 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 15:28

Is there a way I can update-via flash drive on my pc?

#766 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 18:56

How do you take 6 years then need patches to fix problems? head scratcher IMHO.

The GT series has been such a cash cow for Sony, earning them hundreds of millions of dollars, that Yamamuchi and his team were probably given almost free reign after completing GT4. Who could have imagined in the fall of 2006 when the PS3 was hitting store shelves that it would be more than 4 years before we'd see a new Gran Turismo game. There were people who bought early release PS3 systems, expecting to be playing GT5 within a few months. Prologue was an intermittent solution and sales from Prologue alone (4.5 million copies sold) were probably enough to fund development of GT5 and a Japanese publisher (Sony) was probably content to give a Japanese developer (Polyphony Digital) with a very respected figure head, who also happens to be on Sony's board, a lot of lee way. But at some point, several things went wrong. Plans for GT5 were clearly ambitious. And like a lot of software developers, when a 'visonary dreamer' heads the development team, they probably had unrealistic aspirations. It's clear the game tried to accomplish too much. And the game that came on the disc is cleary not the game PD intended to ship, nor was it the game from Kazunori's vision.

At some point, probably in the Spring of 2010, I'm guessing Sony lost their patience, finally put their foot down and gave PD an ultimatum that the game HAD to be on store shelves by the end of the year. And that probably caused a big shake up. Remember, PD is a relatively small company. They have less than 150 employees and as far as I know, they don't subcontract any of their work. Everything is done in house.

But it adds up. I often wondered why at game shows such as Gamescon or E3, why we only saw the same limited demo with a few cars and a few tracks. By the time TGS rolled around, less than 2 months before release, PD should have had the full game on display in advanced beta stage. It's probably because they were busy burning the midnight oil, and taking a virtual hack saw to all the parts of the game that hadn't been fully developed or suffered bugs. Think about it. Upon release there were no leaderboards (there still aren't), no PP system, no brake upgrades or tire pressure changes, we have non-functioning chassis rebuilds and car washes that do nothing. We have replays that you can't FF or RW. We have only 1/4 as many A-spec events as were in GT4. And the prize cars often don't match the events. Then we had seasonal events where the prize money didn't even match the amounts listed on the screen. We have tracks in the game that are completely absent from many of the A-sepc events. We have an offline mode that doesn't take tire temperature or fuel loads into account and an online mode that does (patched in). We have a seriously underwhelming damage model that doesn't seem to jive with some of the VERY few pre-release reports we read from people who were actually privy to previews of the game. We have 24 hour endurance races that don't even allow you to save your progress.

And in less than 3 months after release, we're about to receive the 5th major update. I'm pleased that PD is fixing the game. And adding features that should have been there in the first place. And I suspect more updates will follow in March and maybe April. And the game we'll have in the Spring, when the dust settles, will be a VERY different game than v.1.0 that came in the box. But at some point, Sony will probably put an end to it. It's not 1999 anymore. Games today make 90% of their sales in the first 3 months. And there will be limited returns from continuing to fund it's development.

It's easy to argue the era of GT is over. GT5 was never going to be the huge seller that GT3 or GT4 was simply because the PS3 hasn't sold anywhere near the kind of numbers that the PS2 did. And FPS style games and party games (Wii style) are what sells now-a-days. And I'm sure Sony is well aware of this. But GT5 is still a 'big' seller on the PS3 and currently the 5th best selling PS3 game of all time. Sony's learned it's lesson. There's no way they will allow PD this kind of freedom over GT6. If there even will be a GT6. I think this whole fiasco has been a bit of an embarrassment for them.

A case in point: DLC. I have >80 people on my PSN friend list playing this game. I can't think of a single one of them wouldn't pay to have Spa or Silverstone as a game add on. A clear, concise DLC campaign should have been in the works and released at the same time as the game. Even if it wasn't ready. Big banners with "More cars, more tracks, coming Spring 2011" should have plastered every game store where GT5 was sold, to keep it fresh, keep it in people's minds. Instead, we get stony silence from PD and Sony. Horrible, horrible communication. It's like dealing with a company from 20 years ago. Granted, until the bugs are worked out, perhaps the game just wasn't ready to take on DLC. And it may never be.

That said, I have to give them credit in one thing, the heart and soul of this game, it's physics engine, is really top notch. It's probably the best console racer ever produced. And that (along with the best visuals of any racing game on any platform) is what keeps me coming back. Well, that an the hope that every patch brings much wanted or needed features that should have been there in the first place. I've been able to have online races that lasted for almost 2 hours, with 16 people in the lobby with tire wear, pit stops, day to night and weather transitions and a first rate physics model. I can't think of another console racer that offers this much. It's so close. It just needs a LOT of little things to make it the game it should be. Perhaps if Sony had a deeper hand in it's development, it would have been finished 2 years ago. But then, perhaps it would have felt more like NFS:Shift.

Edited by jaisli, 14 February 2011 - 19:04.

#767 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 20:21

That said, I have to give them credit in one thing, the heart and soul of this game, it's physics engine, is really top notch. It's probably the best console racer ever produced. And that (along with the best visuals of any racing game on any platform) is what keeps me coming back. Well, that an the hope that every patch brings much wanted or needed features that should have been there in the first place. I've been able to have online races that lasted for almost 2 hours, with 16 people in the lobby with tire wear, pit stops, day to night and weather transitions and a first rate physics model. I can't think of another console racer that offers this much. It's so close. It just needs a LOT of little things to make it the game it should be. Perhaps if Sony had a deeper hand in it's development, it would have been finished 2 years ago. But then, perhaps it would have felt more like NFS:Shift.

Look, if you want good physics, get a PC. That is not the console market. The off-track and crash physics in GT5 is a big problem.

The classic problem of this game is that it does not model proper racing, on real tracks. For this, the Codemaster's F12010 game is still better.

It has morphed into a marketing tool for car companies -they call the shots on the game, because they are paying to have cars in the game. Everyone loves a driving game that makes them think they are awesome drivers -that's the whole GT model.

The delay issue was due to a big main graphic engine problem halfway through development, that put them back to zero. The decision that more half-assed car models is better was a mistake. GPL has six models.

Shift Unleashed promises better physics and AI, and of course, proper class racing on real tracks.

Race, lose, bolt on a turbo, win = selling formula on consoles.

#768 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 21:00

Look, if you want good physics, get a PC. That is not the console market. The off-track and crash physics in GT5 is a big problem.

The classic problem of this game is that it does not model proper racing, on real tracks. For this, the Codemaster's F12010 game is still better.

It has morphed into a marketing tool for car companies -they call the shots on the game, because they are paying to have cars in the game. Everyone loves a driving game that makes them think they are awesome drivers -that's the whole GT model.

The delay issue was due to a big main graphic engine problem halfway through development, that put them back to zero. The decision that more half-assed car models is better was a mistake. GPL has six models.

Shift Unleashed promises better physics and AI, and of course, proper class racing on real tracks.

Race, lose, bolt on a turbo, win = selling formula on consoles.

In the fall of '08, I considered an Xbox360, a mid-high end gaming PC or a PS3. In the end, finances won out and and I chose the console route because for the same price as a fast PC and high end graphics card, I bought the PS3, a G25, a Playseat and 3 games. Having gone through: F1:CE, Ferrari Challenge, GT5:Prologue, Superstars of V8 Racing, NFS:Shift, Supercar Challenge, Supstars of V8:NC, F1:2010 and others, GT5 was sort of the last chance for me before I gave up and joined some of my friends playing iRacing.

Console racers, even if they make an effort to be serious racing games, will always be a bit of a compromise because they have to appeal to a much broader audience. Serious sim racers are niche market. But as it stands, GT5 satisfies most of my needs. If the PSN wasn't so flaky and the nature of P2P connections so compromising and finicky, it would be better still. There is nothing wrong with the 'crash' physics in GT5. What it lacks is a sophisticated damage model. And a proper 'race weekend' mode where you have free practice, qualifying and the race. GT5's offline mode doesn't interest me much. The AI is lacking and the races (3 or 5 laps from the back to the front) is tired and unrealistic. But if you have the right group of friends, who go through the effort, GT5 can be be a massively rewarding experience in private lobbies that gives 90% of what you can get out of iRacing without all the pitfalls that go along with PC sims.

I wouldn't put too much faith in Shift:2. In the end, no matter what the SMS guys manage to do, it's still EA calling the shots. And they did a pretty fair job of turning the first game from a semi-serious sim racer into an Arcade fantasy game with magic grip. I wouldn't put it past them to do it again. I bought into it the first time. Once bitten, twice shy.

As for the 'mysterious' graphic problem that plagued GT5's development, the less said the better. But I would lay off the drugs and put down the National Enquirer.

#769 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 1,583 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 23:08

Won the Historic Cup in A-Spec using a fulled modded Lamob Countach.

If you can't win it with that, you can get a Toyota 7 by winning "Like the Wind" in B-Spec. You should easily win it using that car.

It got me 1st in Monaco, but I just can't keep up with the other Toyota 7's on Deep Forest. A few more tries I'm thinking. It's weird how that one's causing me problems, whereas in the Extreme series European races they only have 300ish HP! Ho hum, best start saving for some more cars.

Steve.

#770 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,978 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:25

Great post Jaisli.

I know I harp on but GT3 drove me bezerk, there is a stunning game there somewhere but it's lost amid the mire of problems and most of all the appalling race structure where you need to blindly drive for 3 hours of mind numbing boredom so you can get the next car. It's as if no one at PD played the game before it was released.

So to do that AGAIN 8 years later is unforgivable and a great shame. They appear completely lost. I said it when GT3 was released that F1 cars, rallying etc was a waste of energy. They seem to get side tracked on getting too big, too ambitous. Keep it simple but really nail it IMHO.

#771 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:11

TBH, I never played any GT games prior to Prologue so my knowledge of previous titles in the franchise is limited to 3rd hand information. But I think it's safe to say that GT3 was an ambitious project and GT4 was smoothing out what was wrong.

Sony is really the one calling the shots. They may decide to tell PD to drop any (potential) DLC, stop development other than critical bug fixes and begin putting all their effort into a scaled back GT6. And in 1~2 years, we'll have a similar situation with GT6 being the kind of game that GT5 should have been.

I guess grinding away to earn credits was a big part of the GT series. It's something I could care less about. So with a select group of PSN friends who chose to look at GT5 as a sim racer and not a glorified RPG, we made judicious use of the Birthday Glitch and more recently the duping glitch to pass along cars. None of us had any desire to fight for hours with a bunch of hapless AI to win a few prize cars. We just wanted the cars to race. And at this point, we're just eagerly awaiting the PP patch, hopefully a fix for qualifying not working properly in private lobbies and a few other minor quirks and we're ready to start a JGTC championship.

One thing about the cars and something unique in the GT series is that you'll find F1 cars, JGTC cars, NASCAR, DTM cars, WRC cars, road cars, Australian Tour Cars, BTC cars, and others, all mixed in together. But PD only has licenses for those individual cars, they don't have licenses for the series which they run in. So you won't be able to have a complete NASCAR series within the game because right now its Eutechnyx and Activision who hold the rights to that series, and so on. But the flip side is you can run a cup car on the Nürburgring or a WRC car at Le Mans, or a dozen other odd combinations. And sometimes that's kind of interesting too. I don't necessarily think adding those additional cars is pulling too many resources. But the special events seem only half complete. There should have been more of them. And I'm guessing there were supposed to be. And personally, I think if they don't get the track creator working so that you can use it online, it's nothing but a white elephant. That should have been working from the beginning. But instead of a track creator, I would have preferred Spa or Imola or Hockenheim or Mugello or Road America or Mont Tremblant or a dozen other real world tracks. But instead we get a half functioning, limited track editor and garbage like Cape Ring. (sigh)

We may still see DLC. But casual gamers are what drive the gaming market. And if Sony doesn't start selling DLC soon, they probably won't. Because a lot of people have already given up on GT5 and moved on.

Edited by jaisli, 15 February 2011 - 10:14.

#772 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 5,781 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:49

TBH, I never played any GT games prior to Prologue so my knowledge of previous titles in the franchise is limited to 3rd hand information. But I think it's safe to say that GT3 was an ambitious project and GT4 was smoothing out what was wrong.

Sony is really the one calling the shots. They may decide to tell PD to drop any (potential) DLC, stop development other than critical bug fixes and begin putting all their effort into a scaled back GT6. And in 1~2 years, we'll have a similar situation with GT6 being the kind of game that GT5 should have been.

I guess grinding away to earn credits was a big part of the GT series. It's something I could care less about. So with a select group of PSN friends who chose to look at GT5 as a sim racer and not a glorified RPG, we made judicious use of the Birthday Glitch and more recently the duping glitch to pass along cars. None of us had any desire to fight for hours with a bunch of hapless AI to win a few prize cars. We just wanted the cars to race. And at this point, we're just eagerly awaiting the PP patch, hopefully a fix for qualifying not working properly in private lobbies and a few other minor quirks and we're ready to start a JGTC championship.

One thing about the cars and something unique in the GT series is that you'll find F1 cars, JGTC cars, NASCAR, DTM cars, WRC cars, road cars, Australian Tour Cars, BTC cars, and others, all mixed in together. But PD only has licenses for those individual cars, they don't have licenses for the series which they run in. So you won't be able to have a complete NASCAR series within the game because right now its Eutechnyx and Activision who hold the rights to that series, and so on. But the flip side is you can run a cup car on the Nürburgring or a WRC car at Le Mans, or a dozen other odd combinations. And sometimes that's kind of interesting too. I don't necessarily think adding those additional cars is pulling too many resources. But the special events seem only half complete. There should have been more of them. And I'm guessing there were supposed to be. And personally, I think if they don't get the track creator working so that you can use it online, it's nothing but a white elephant. That should have been working from the beginning. But instead of a track creator, I would have preferred Spa or Imola or Hockenheim or Mugello or Road America or Mont Tremblant or a dozen other real world tracks. But instead we get a half functioning, limited track editor and garbage like Cape Ring. (sigh)

We may still see DLC. But casual gamers are what drive the gaming market. And if Sony doesn't start selling DLC soon, they probably won't. Because a lot of people have already given up on GT5 and moved on.

Brilliant post. :up:

#773 baddog

baddog

• 23,600 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 21:03

Some good points, but suggesting a lot of people have given up and moved on is probably a bit of hyperbole.. The numbers still buying it let along playing it are pretty huge by the standards of anything but the absolute AAA list. Games like this have a very long tail.

That said, I dont see a LOT of DLC. They just dont seem to have decided to go that way.

#774 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,978 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 21:07

WTF is DLC?

#775 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,435 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 22:26

WTF is DLC?

Downloadable content.

#776 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:49

Some good points, but suggesting a lot of people have given up and moved on is probably a bit of hyperbole.. The numbers still buying it let along playing it are pretty huge by the standards of anything but the absolute AAA list. Games like this have a very long tail.

That said, I dont see a LOT of DLC. They just dont seem to have decided to go that way.

From the state of GT5 upon it's release and the number of patches we've seen in such a short time, I don't think 'decided to go that way' is the right way to put it. Whatever they wanted to do, they probably didn't have much choice. And the reason is, I believe, because after 6 years to plan and prepare, the final 6 months of GT5's development cycle were nothing but a rush hatchet job of the worst kind. And since late October, PD is been trying to patch this game into the kind of game it should have been. If they had a DLC strategy, they botched it. A solid DLC strategy has to accompany the product to market. You can't put out a game and finally announce DLC 6 months later.

Casual gamers are what drives the market. And yes, they're moving on. A month ago, every region you looked at online, regardless of the time of day, had the full allotment of 100 rooms open on the screen. I can't even imagine how many there were in total. Looking last night, there were less than 65 rooms open in the US and that was prime time. Hard core GT5 fans will still buy DLC a year from now. But what percentage from the total numbers of people who bought this game will still be playing or still interested in DLC a year down the road? Possibly still enough to earn Sony money. But they could also argue that it just makes more sense to roll any new cars and tracks into GT6 if they can get it out in a reasonable time.

This comes second hand and it may not mean much but the manager of a local Gamestop told me they had STACKS of GT5 sitting in the back. One, from unsold inventory and another from people who returned or traded the game for something else. He told me he has so many copies both new and used that he doesn't know what the heck to do with them all. At least here in the US, Amazon is already selling GT5 for a reduced price. That's almost unheard of for games less than 3 months old. And that also indicates an excess of inventory.

We may never know if they intended to sell DLC or not. But if there's no announcement by the time Shift:2 is on store shelves, I'm guessing there won't be any.

#777 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,559 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:53

You can't put out a game and finally announce DLC 6 months later.

Actually there you are wrong. Many gamemaker does that nowadays, even for longer period. DLC doesn't necessary mean huge patch, it usually means additional content fpr game (you have to pay few dollars for).
I wouln't mind to spend 3 euros on Spa track if it's later as DLC. :p

#778 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:36

Well, yes, I'm sure it does happen. A good example I can think of is Little Big Planet. I don't think anybody could have predicted what a huge hit it would be. And it's popularity grew over time. So they were able to capitalize on DLC, long after it first hit store shelves. And I don't think they really gave that much thought to DLC from the beginning. But for a highly anticipated game like GT5 that had a huge and established fan base, that was years in the making and has already sold 90% of what it can be expected to sell, it's a slightly different story.

FWIW, if they announced SPA as DLC, with maybe two different version of the bus stop chicane, with weather transitions and day to night time changes, I'd be willing to spend a LOT more than 3 EUR. :) You can easily tell that PD spent more time on some tracks than others. And I don't mean just the visuals. The bumps and ruts in tracks like La Sarthe or the Ring are very impressive, compared to the glass smooth table tops of tracks like the HSR. Considering they're not laser scanned like iRacing, it shows they can do a phenomenal job and I want more of them. I know there are a lot of traditional GT players who would also like and even prefer to see some of PD's fantasy tracks. But if Deep Forest and Trial Mountain are examples of the rest, I'd just as soon they didn't bother.

#779 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,190 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 16:02

On the DLC side of things KY did state some time ago that there were no plans for DLC for GT5, but then we don't know for sure what, if anything had to be chopped out to make the release date......

However, I'm having a big problem. :evil:

All my cars, regardless of what tyres I've fitted, won't stop, and want to go sideways around EVERY corner. It's as if the game (GT Mode) is stuck in drift-mode. :confused: :confused:
I entered the pre-1979 classic race in a fully tuned Buick Special'62 on racing tyres and was in last place by the fourth corner, no grip/traction, out of corners no acceleration only wheelspin (with TS ON). :drunk:

B-spec Bob is also tail-out around every corner, whilst going slower than everyone on the straights. :evil: ):

I'm almost at the point of taking the disc in my hand, balling up my other fist and.......just....... :evil: :evil:

Advertisement

#780 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,978 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 16:05

Did you load up GPL by mistake? :lol:

Edited by Alfisti, 16 February 2011 - 16:05.

#781 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 17:55

That's really bizarre Tony! I troll frequent the GTP forums quite a bit these days and I've never come across something like this.

#782 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,211 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 19:24

On the DLC side of things KY did state some time ago that there were no plans for DLC for GT5, but then we don't know for sure what, if anything had to be chopped out to make the release date......

However, I'm having a big problem. :evil:

All my cars, regardless of what tyres I've fitted, won't stop, and want to go sideways around EVERY corner. It's as if the game (GT Mode) is stuck in drift-mode. :confused: :confused:
I entered the pre-1979 classic race in a fully tuned Buick Special'62 on racing tyres and was in last place by the fourth corner, no grip/traction, out of corners no acceleration only wheelspin (with TS ON). :drunk:

B-spec Bob is also tail-out around every corner, whilst going slower than everyone on the straights. :evil: ):

I'm almost at the point of taking the disc in my hand, balling up my other fist and.......just....... :evil: :evil:

Has it always been this way or are they suddenly behaving different? When you say TS do you mean traction control? I find when TC is enabled and the rear gets loose through a turn it's very difficult to correct becasue it seems the rear wants to keep on coming round regardless of the input I'm giving; it's undrivable for me. TC is always disabled here. If it's not disabled try that.

I really hope this next patch fixes the unadjustable TC once you're in the car online. Sometimes you quickly pick a car and jump in a race that's about to start only to find the car has TC enabled, and you can't turn it off.

#783 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,190 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:16

Alfisti:,Did you load up GPL by mistake?

Not possible! (but I did check, just to be sure.  ;) )

Peeko; When you say TS do you mean traction control?

Oops! Typo alert! :blush:

Yes :up: I did mean TC. :blush: :blush: I've tried ALL settings guys. On/Off Low/High settings for everything.

Remember the Elise in the second TopGear challenge? All cars of all configurations on all tyres handle something a bit like those. :cry:

I'm thinking of starting a petitioin to have it re-named;- "Need for (Traction for) Speed: STOP BLOODY SLIDING! "

However, an important point is that after buying it and installing it, I took the PS3 to a freind's place the same weekend, where we set up both PS3s online on BIG HD screens and a proper sound system. (and a wife to cook the dinner!) When I put the PS3 online I had to install the game again! :drunk: (another 50mins wait :evil: And no matter WHAT it said the tracks DON'T load in any bloody quicker! :well: ) Since then I've not been online and therefore received no updates/patches. I'm hoping like hell that an update or something will sort this out because, as I said, it feels like the whole game is stuck in drift-mode.....not so bad for the slower races but means I've got no chance at all in the faster races. (not even with a considerably more powerful car aginst the crappy AI!!)

It's starting to feel like being repeatedly kicked in the fork by Kazanouri Yamauchi, thanks a lot bud! :up:

#784 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,837 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:03

Not possible! (but I did check, just to be sure. ;) )

Oops! Typo alert! :blush:

Yes :up: I did mean TC. :blush: :blush: I've tried ALL settings guys. On/Off Low/High settings for everything.

Remember the Elise in the second TopGear challenge? All cars of all configurations on all tyres handle something a bit like those. :cry:

I'm thinking of starting a petitioin to have it re-named;- "Need for (Traction for) Speed: STOP BLOODY SLIDING! "

However, an important point is that after buying it and installing it, I took the PS3 to a freind's place the same weekend, where we set up both PS3s online on BIG HD screens and a proper sound system. (and a wife to cook the dinner!) When I put the PS3 online I had to install the game again! :drunk: (another 50mins wait :evil: And no matter WHAT it said the tracks DON'T load in any bloody quicker! :well: ) Since then I've not been online and therefore received no updates/patches. I'm hoping like hell that an update or something will sort this out because, as I said, it feels like the whole game is stuck in drift-mode.....not so bad for the slower races but means I've got no chance at all in the faster races. (not even with a considerably more powerful car aginst the crappy AI!!)

It's starting to feel like being repeatedly kicked in the fork by Kazanouri Yamauchi, thanks a lot bud! :up:

And is this a problem on all tyre types? Coz those Elises were on Comfort Hards.

Are you a wheel or pad user? I use a wheel and have no problems with traction, other than lacking talent at times :p I can imagine that with the Dualshock's limited amount of play on the trigger buttons, going too hard on the throttle is something that's quite easy to do.

A good method I have of getting used to a certain car is going into practice mode and start doing very slow laps that you know the car can do easily. Then start building up speed each lap and see where the car feels different (on corner entry, on exit, mid-turn, braking etc.). You then learn the characteristics of the car and can then apply that to faster laps. I tend to do this with every racing game, and it's always worked out well for me.

#785 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,190 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:52

Yep....all tyres the same. :confused:

I use the pad and, whilst there is indeed less play in the buttons and triggers, it is possible to re-create throtte blipping/feathering, left foot braking etc. I've utilised this technique since the very first GT game and it has served me well for all of them until now. This is really the very first time I've actually considered buying a wheel and pedals, not because I really want them but because I'm being forced into it. :evil:

On a side note: The set cars in the special events (Except the Elises) don't react like this.

jaisli: That's really bizarre Tony! I troll frequent the GTP forums quite a bit these days and I've never come across something like this.

Yep! It's weird with a captial WE!!! :drunk:

#786 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,837 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 13:08

Yep....all tyres the same. :confused:

I use the pad and, whilst there is indeed less play in the buttons and triggers, it is possible to re-create throtte blipping/feathering, left foot braking etc. I've utilised this technique since the very first GT game and it has served me well for all of them until now. This is really the very first time I've actually considered buying a wheel and pedals, not because I really want them but because I'm being forced into it. :evil:

On a side note: The set cars in the special events (Except the Elises) don't react like this.

Yep! It's weird with a captial WE!!! :drunk:

Whatever the root of your problem is, it's worth considering getting a wheel and pedals anyway. It does make a big difference, and really I'm rubbish without them now. My best track in F1 2010 is Abu Dhabi, and I was 2 seconds slower with the pad after I'd started using my wheel. Haven't tried it with GT5 but I can imagine I'd be slower too.

Like you say it's possible to re-create many driving techniques with a pad, but it could still be a limiting factor.

#787 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,190 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 14:34

Oh well.... maybe a wheel was overdue anyway. :|

BTW@ Jaisli... What's this duping glitch you mentioned? And the birthday thing.... any way you know to sneak around this without making a whole new account? Both of us had birthdays a couple of months before release. ):

Edited by Tony Mandara, 17 February 2011 - 14:34.

#788 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,796 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 16:25

...I really hope this next patch fixes the unadjustable TC once you're in the car online. Sometimes you quickly pick a car and jump in a race that's about to start only to find the car has TC enabled, and you can't turn it off.

You can turn it off in race, you need to configure the RA menu. Might be a bit fingers and thumbs if you're using a controller but it can be done.

#789 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 16:50

Whatever the root of your problem is, it's worth considering getting a wheel and pedals anyway. It does make a big difference, and really I'm rubbish without them now. My best track in F1 2010 is Abu Dhabi, and I was 2 seconds slower with the pad after I'd started using my wheel. Haven't tried it with GT5 but I can imagine I'd be slower too.

Like you say it's possible to re-create many driving techniques with a pad, but it could still be a limiting factor.

Been considering them myself but i have to be honest, other than the nascar tests i've never had a problem with the controller.

On another note:
Bought the f2010 ferrari last night for the ferrari challenge and it blew me away!
While i love f1 2010 the only issue i have with it, and its not an issue as such, is that because you never get to drive anything slower in the game you dont appreciate how fast a modern f1 car is. Having never driven anything quicker than a Super GT car on the tokyo circuit I genuinely was stunned at the cornering ability of an f1 car on this circuit - turn 4 - the 180 degree horseshoe could be taken in 6th gear with only a dab of left foot (well thumb) braking on the entry! The ferrari is much easier to drive than the formula GT car too.

#790 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 17:46

(Peeko @ Feb 16 2011, 12:24) *
...I really hope this next patch fixes the unadjustable TC once you're in the car online. Sometimes you quickly pick a car and jump in a race that's about to start only to find the car has TC enabled, and you can't turn it off.

You can turn it off in race, you need to configure the RA menu. Might be a bit fingers and thumbs if you're using a controller but it can be done.

Well, there is actually a glitch which is preventing you from adjusting TC in the RA menu. It seems kind of random.

BTW@ Jaisli... What's this duping glitch you mentioned? And the birthday thing.... any way you know to sneak around this without making a whole new account? Both of us had birthdays a couple of months before release. ):

No, with either method you'll need at least two accounts. I've read the PSN's end user agreement through. And I'm not an attorney but so long as you don't enter false details I can't find anything wrong with having multiple accounts.

BIRTHDAY GLITCH:

1) Create a new account both on your PS3 and sign up for the PSN and put in the date of birth as today's date and put the year from whatever year car you want. (If you want a car from 1992 forward, you'll need to set it up as a sub account due to the age restrictions). OK, I know I just talked about not entering false information, but what can I say--sometimes people have slippery fingers and make mistakes.

2) Go into your new account and load the game for the first time. When when you enter GT Life, after you go through all the baloney about choosing your race suit, the game will 'reward' you with a gift car for your birthday. It will be a random car from the year of your birth.

3) If it's the car you want, simply 'gift' it to your main account. If it isn't, quit the game, delete the game save and load the game again. You'll start over from scratch and have another chance at the birthday gift. If you have a list of the cars, it's pretty easy to see what your chances are. If you're after cars from 1965 or 1967 there aren't many. going after cars from 1991, well, you might have to try many times. Before they put a restriction in to limit gifting to 1 car per 24hr period, this was a feeding freenzy and you could end up gifting yourself dozens of cars at a time from this method.

DUPING GLITCH:

1) For this method you MUST have enough funds to buy the car you want. But at least you'll keep the funds. First, make a copy of your game save onto a USB thumbdrive or other removable media.

2) Load the game, go into the new or used car dealer and buy the car. If you want to be REALLY sneaky, then go and do an oil change, buy every set of tires you want, for used cars with high mileage, do an engine rebuild, add a turbo, suspension kit--the whole works.

3) Gift this car to your sub-account.

4) Quite the game, click on your USB drive and copy the game save back onto the PS3. It will put the game back in a state before you bought the car with all your funds en tact.

5) Go into your sub-account, load the game and then gift the car back to yourself.

(It's probably a good thing I'm not in banking)

* As a disclaimer, I just want to mention a few things. Glitching cars has really turned into a bit of a blood fued on GTPlanet. But I consider it nothing but a storm in a teacup. It's not really a cheat so much as it's an exploit in the game. And if you just want to drive the cars or use the cars and don't really want to grind away at the same events, over and over again to earn 'credits', I find nothing wrong with this. And since none of the cars are any different than cars you 'legitimately' bought or won, I really can't see how it's cheating. And since the cars I desired most in GT5, the Ferrari F330 P4, the Jaguar XJ13 and the Ford F40 Mark IV were all 20,000,000 credits, well, need I say more?

It's your game. Play it how you want to. :cool:

#791 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,211 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 18:40

Like Jaisli said, you are prevented from adjusting it. The TC option becomes greyed out, the same way 4WD torque becomes unavailable when you're not in a 4WD car. It's fully adjustable offline, but I never play offline anymore.

#792 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,796 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 19:28

Ah, beg pardon I've not seen that happen - I've barely raced online.

#793 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:53

GT5 INFORMATION
Update Notice (1.06)
Last Updated : Feb 17, 2011

An update to Gran Turismo 5 has been released. The contents are as follows:

[Major Changes and New Features]
・Remote Racing
[Remote Races] have been added to the bottom left of the [GT Mode] - [Community] screen.
Here you can start a fully automated B-Spec race using yours and your friends' "My Drivers", and gain rewards and experience from it.
For details please see section 8-4 [Remote Races] in the [Manual] accessible from the main menu, and also the new "Remote Race" page on gran-tursimo.com, under the GT5 product information section.

・Remote Racing from a Web Browser
In [Remote Races], you can visit the official "gran-turismo.com" website using a web browser, and remotely control your PS3® at home. You can start races, monitor its progress and check results from the website. This is a new playing style allowing you to play Gran Turismo anywhere.
Sign in from the [GT5 My Home] button on the upper right corner of the website to get started.

・Using the Course Maker in Online Races
You can now use one of the "My Courses" created in [Course Maker] for your online races (in Open Lobby, My Lounge), or select themes and generate courses on the spot. (Please note you'll only be able to use My Courses created after this update).

・Introduction of Performance Points in Online Races
We've now introduced Performance Points (PP), a numerical index of a car's performance for online races. You can set PP restrictions in the online race regulations (in Open Lobby, My Lounge) to limit participating cars.
For details, see 6 -15 [Performance Points] in the [Manual] accessible from the main menu.

・Increased Rewards and Experience Online
The amount of rewards and experience gained from online racing (in Open Lobby, My Lounge) have been increased.

・More Event Settings in Online Races
[Auto Race Start Cycle] and [Tire Wear/Fuel Consumption] have been added to the event settings for online races (in Open Lobby, My Lounge).

・More Penalties for Special Events
Penalties for improper driving such as driving off course and hitting walls have been increased for the [Special Events] under [GT Mode] - [GT Life].

・Event Rewards and Experience Adjusted
The rewards and experience gained in [License] and [Special Events] in [GT Mode] - [GT Life] have been adjusted. Experience for A-Spec and B-Spec events have been increased, while rewards have been reduced back down to levels seen before the 1.05 update.

・Car Loan in Events
In A-Spec, B-Spec and [Special Events] in [GT Mode] - [GT Life], you can now borrow cars that your Friends have set to share with friends.
For details see 6-16 [Borrowing and Lending Cars] in the [Manual] accessible from the main menu.

・More Car Settings
Gear ratio adjustment, power limiters, and weight adjustment have been added to the settings. For details see [18. Settings Guide] in the [Manual] accessible from the main menu.

・Multi-Monitor Feature
From [Options] - [Hardware] - [Multi-Monitor], you can now access the multi-monitor display settings using multiple PS3™ systems.
You can now enjoy Gran Turismo 5 in a wide display environment combining multiple PS3™ systems and TV's/monitors.
For details please see the support section on gran-turismo.com.

[Changes and Additions to Gameplay]
- It is now possible to replay and save [2P Battle] races.
- [Controller Steering Sensitivity] has been added to [Driving Options].
- [Corner Bank Angle] has been added to the section settings in [Course Maker].
- In A-Spec events including endurance races, a confirmation prompt has been added before restarting a race from the beginning.
- In replays, B Spec and while watching races, you can now change viewing targets directly from the screen without having to use a separate window list.
- Personal BGM can now be used when voice chat is disabled in a [Lounge].
- Cars in your garage that are not registered as 'Favorites' can now be used in a [Lounge].
- When tire restriction is enabled in a Lounge regulation, only cars with tires that qualify will be displayed in the garage.
- Driver and car display selections during races will be saved.
- Karts now have [Quick Menu settings.
- You can now select multiple items in some important menu screens, such as when registering your favorite cars in your [Garage].

[AI Adjustment]
- Race choreography and opponent car AI controls for licence tests and A Spec events have been adjusted.
- Opponent car AI controls during B Spec races have been improved.
- The evasive maneuver of opponent cars when a players car blocks the track has been improved.

[Correction of Issues]
- Corrected an issue where it was possible to gain points unfairly in drift trials.
- Corrected an issue where it was not possible to view the 4th sector in the live monitor.
-Corrected an issue where the sound effects would not change when replacing the exhaust system or turbo kit.
- Corrected an issue where the save data becomes unable to load when exceeding a certain file size.

[Other Changes]
- A searchable item called [Race Type] has been added for room creation in the [Open Lobby].
- The lap times for the [X Challenge] in [Special Events] have been adjusted.
- Game save speed has been optimized.
- The HDD access warning message that was displayed at game startup has been disabled for faster startup.
- Car demo backdrops during an [Auto Demo] is now displayed randomly in 4 types (Morning/Day/Night/White) as is in the [Dealership].
- The "S-AWC" integrated four wheel drive system of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X has been adjusted.
- The [Force Feedback Strength] of the Thrustmaster T500RS can now be adjusted across a wider range.

#794 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,433 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 13:47

Be interested to see how much time they've added onto the Vettel challenge.

I reached Level 30 the other night and found the X1 to be uncontrollable.

#795 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 14:39

I think they've added about 7-8 seconds onto the Vettel Challenge. But ONLY for the bronze time. Good thinking.

I'm kind of bummed that there's still no FWD or RWD for the replays. But this update brought a lot. (Well, a lot that SHOULD have been there in the first place). A lot of little tweaks and improvements.

#796 davidedegiorgi

davidedegiorgi

• 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 14:39

good news about this update.

I wish I did it before coming to work. I would have loved to start the next b-spec endurance from my office.

I have no idea ho you guys could get to have millions of credits and keep your day job. The top I ever reached was 5 millions and I had to get a gt formula. I saw way too many speed8 go away without being able to afford them.

Could anyone please explain to me why on earth is it not possible to sell cars worth more than 500.000? how does this make the game more enjoyable?

#797 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,978 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 14:42

Is it just me or is B SPEC merely an admission that the races are too long, too boring and utterly pointless other than to gather credits?

#798 davidedegiorgi

davidedegiorgi

• 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 14:52

Is it just me or is B SPEC merely an admission that the races are too long, too boring and utterly pointless other than to gather credits?

I actually find it quite interesting. my drivers are much higher level than me (I'm 28 and they are 34) and I have to say they do give me some satisfactions.

I would love to tackle some endurances A-spec for the first time this weekend, and I'm terrified about 9 bloody hours in goddamn tsukuba.
You might be right there. What the hell are they thinking?

Alfisti, please add me as a friend (ArturoMerzario). Would be nice to meet some time and carve some hairpin together on vintage alfas.

#799 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 22:08

I did about 3 races with B-Spec. Couldn't be bothered for it to load etc.

Back to playing COD Black ops now. Will have to the update at some point. Shame there is no in game save option still.

Advertisement

#800 baddog

baddog

• 23,600 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 22:43

Its just you. Its always just you ;)

Seriosuly though, B Spec is pretty much a different game, and does little for me personally. but then I dont play football manager games either.

Many people in fact love it.