* * * * - 6 votes

Gran Turismo 5

• Please log in to reply
1335 replies to this topic

#851 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 20:27

Just bought the MP4 12C to win some of the MR and Supercar events, have to say i'm not impressed. Understeers way too much, can't drive it on the throttle even with the TC off. Couldn't win the Nurburgring GP track supercar race without upgrading the tyres from hards to softs.

Loving the Merc C class 6.3 AMG on the other hand, and even the bog standard MX5 is an absolute joy in comparison.

Still using gamepad with analog sticks, yet to hook up the G25. Will do that in the coming days and weeks no doubt.

Nice pics voudon, Im a bit of a photography geek in gt5 too, will post some of my faves later!

Advertisement

#852 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:51

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 05 May 2011 - 06:54.

#853 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:41

Nice pics Mr Taylor. :up:

On a side note, (and maybe a little off topic, but you could say it's for comparison to GT5!  ;) ) I have loads of pics from GT4 on a PS2 memory card. Anyone know how I would go about transfering them to (? :confused: ?) so I can put them here for you guys to ridicule me about not having a real life?!!! :lol: :lol:

#854 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,224 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:55

Nice pics Mr Taylor. :up:

On a side note, (and maybe a little off topic, but you could say it's for comparison to GT5! ;) ) I have loads of pics from GT4 on a PS2 memory card. Anyone know how I would go about transfering them to (? :confused: ?) so I can put them here for you guys to ridicule me about not having a real life?!!! :lol: :lol:

Cheers Tony :wave:

Hmm the PS2 has USB slots on the front, no? My mini one did. Original PS2 on the back? Could you transfer from the memory card to a USB drive via the PS2 menu? (with no game disc loaded) Alternatively maybe you could get a PS2 memory card to USB adapter and try plugging into a PC (if such a thing exists, I know I've got a PS2 controller > USB adapter).

Failing that take a photo of your screen! ;)

#855 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,992 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 15:24

Alternatively maybe you could get a PS2 memory card to USB adapter and try plugging into a PC

Or buy a PS2 memory card to PS3 converter, and copy them onto your PS3, then from the PS3 onto an ordinary USB stick, to transfer them to a PC.

£3.70 Amazon

or

£2.47 - Ebay

I got one to transfer my GT4 save game onto my PS3.

#856 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:05

Thanks guys. :up:

I shall be on it this weekend like a tramp on chips!

Then I can prove that (even in a game!) that Mercedes CLK GTR really does have a tendency to take off!! :eek:

Edited by Tony Mandara, 06 May 2011 - 07:24.

#857 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:00

It was not nice of Sony to block the PS2 games on the PS3.
Now that I found the power supply and got the G25 working I'd hoped to play the older GT versions. Still got the PS2, at least one of them, but the monitor doesn't have a RGB input. Oh my.

I tested the other games I have and nothing compares to GT5 in terms of driving, at leat with the wheel. The odd bit is that the calibration used to be better on the CMR series.

#858 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:06

Aghhhh! The used car showroom. The DAMN used car showroom! :evil:

I've just spent the whole weekend sporadically going through the used cars looking for one model. It offered me, amongst others, a Stratos rally car (which I already have) 8 times. The Jensen Interceptor that I was looking for....once! I don't think any game has ever wound me up as much as this one!

Having fun with the camera though :up: . Will have the PS3 online on Thursday this week, will see if I can get some pics posted. :eek:

Er...Is anyone actually reading this shit?! :lol: :drunk:

#859 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,476 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 19:44

uhu

Advertisement

#860 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:09

Having fun with the camera though :up: . Will have the PS3 online on Thursday this week, will see if I can get some pics posted. :eek:

Failed miserably!! Got them all (GT4&5) onto flash memory, but couldn't seem to get them any further! :confused:

Hmm, time for a mail@RayBell methinks!!

#861 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,476 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:04

Seasonal Events has credit bargains going on. Maybe been on for week I'm not sure.
For example winning last supercar event (takes 6 minutes to complete) grants 490 000 credits. And you can repeat event how many times you like.
Rumours says credit bargain is available for short time so be quick. It took for me 15 repeats to have enough credits for Kimi's F1 car. :)

Edited by The Kanisteri, 16 June 2011 - 09:05.

#862 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:33

Seasonal Events has credit bargains going on. Maybe been on for week I'm not sure.
For example winning last supercar event (takes 6 minutes to complete) grants 490 000 credits. And you can repeat event how many times you like.
Rumours says credit bargain is available for short time so be quick. It took for me 15 repeats to have enough credits for Kimi's F1 car. :)

You know? This where the offline game REEEAAALLY turns in the screw! :evil:

To Make anywhere near that amount I have to go through the Dream-Car Championship 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours each time! (B-Spec).

Car prices in this game set against prize credits and time taken (for offline races) is a ridicuous contrast. :down:

#863 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,476 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:42

Tony,

You know you don't need to race online when doing seasonal events. Just have net connection it reads deatls of race. In fact I was kicked off (disconnected) from psn network and didn't bother to join in aagain, but I had event on and made few millions before going back to menu.

#864 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:06

Well, I know what you mean. But I don't have a connection in my home even though I live in the center of Amsterdam!! Other problems have prevented me. When I do have it online I am at a friend's place, but then we are really more about racing against each other and others online.
anyhoo....
Someone told me the X2010 you get for reaching level 35 is different to the one you buy (20 Million..OMFG! :cry: ) and the one for winning the Seb Vettel challenge is also different. Any idea if this is true?

#865 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,210 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:25

The Bronze Vettel gift car is the same as the level 35 gift car.

#866 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,212 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:29

Well, I know what you mean. But I don't have a connection in my home even though I live in the center of Amsterdam!! Other problems have prevented me. When I do have it online I am at a friend's place, but then we are really more about racing against each other and others online.
anyhoo....
Someone told me the X2010 you get for reaching level 35 is different to the one you buy (20 Million..OMFG! :cry: ) and the one for winning the Seb Vettel challenge is also different. Any idea if this is true?

There are 3 different kinds of X2010s.

There's the Red Bull liveried X2010 you get automatically by attaining level 35 in B-spec.

There's the carbon X2010 you win by earning Gold in the Vettel Challenge in special events.

And there's the "pick any color you want" car you can buy from the new car dealership at level 40(?)

But performance wise, they're all exactly alike.

I have two myself. But outside of (the ridiculous) B-spec, I never use them. It just doesn't do it for me. I really feels like, well, like you're playing a video game. :blush:

#867 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:37

Ah..I see. thanks guys. :up:

There are 3 different kinds of X2010s.

There's the Red Bull liveried X2010 you get automatically by attaining level 35 in B-spec.

There's the carbon X2010 you win by earning Gold in the Vettel Challenge in special events.

And there's the "pick any color you want" car you can buy from the new car dealership at level 40(?)

But performance wise, they're all exactly alike.

I have two myself. But outside of (the ridiculous) B-spec, I never use them. It just doesn't do it for me. I really feels like, well, like you're playing a video game. :blush:

jaisli :up:

I only actually want one for B-Spec. (see my earlier post about time!) I've found the thing almost undriveable in the SV challenge! ):

Two you say? My PSN ID is my name if you're feeling generous!!! ;)  ;)

Edited by Tony Mandara, 16 June 2011 - 12:40.

#868 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,212 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:57

Ah..I see. thanks guys. :up:

jaisli :up:

I only actually want one for B-Spec. (see my earlier post about time!) I've found the thing almost undriveable in the SV challenge! ):

Two you say? My PSN ID is my name if you're feeling generous!!! ;);)

If I could, I would. But unfortunately, since the March patch, you can't gift cars valued over 1,000,000 CR. :down: :mad:

However, if all you want it for is B-spec, there is a way. But again, you need to get your PS3 online. You can 'borrow' an X2010 from somebody who puts their car up online. And you can basically use it, A-spec or B-spec for as long as you want.

If you're just interested in earning credits, even though PD has tried to stop the trading/duplicating as best as they can, there's still an easy way to do it. (Again, if you're online)
A) create a 2nd account and create a B-spec driver. Make sure the second account sends a friend request to your main account.
B) Make sure you create as many b-spec drivers in your main account as possible (you can have up to six)
C) Log in with your 2nd account and go to remote race and leave your PS3 running in remote race in server standby mode.
D) Go to a PC and download Yahoo Widgets (it's a background java environment that allows you to run apps).
E) Download B-spec grinder (current version is 2.5) Link here.

Then run the app on your PC. It will continually run races remotely, non stop. Make sure you customize the options on your app that it always selects your own B-spec guys first. Granted, you have to keep the PS3 running, which is not always the best idea. Do so at your own risk. but you can earn about 6-8 million credits in a 24 hour period for pretty much doing nothing.

At this point, I don't bother with it. I obtained nearly all the cars I wanted in the early days with the birthday glitch or by duping between accounts before there was a gift cap limit. But it may be an option for you.

I've said it many times, the offline portion of GT5 is really only 1/2 a game. And not a particularly good one. The AI, even after the last patch, is still awful and not at all competitive. But aside from a few glitches and tweaks (that hopefully they're still considering) the online portion is by far the best racing sim available on the PS3. That is, so long as you have the right group of online friends. I sure wouldn't want to be trolling the online (public) lobbies. It's a battlefield out there. :drunk:

Edited by jaisli, 16 June 2011 - 12:59.

#869 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 13:49

I was only kidding! I wouldn't be so cheeky as to really ask for a gift of the most expensive car in the game!!  ;)

I'm aware of the tricks to use including the "remote racing" thing, but as I have a V1 PS3 leaving it on is not really an option as they run really quite hot! (I use an external fan) Apart from that I could only perform this from work and all I get here is:-

ACCESS DENIED .

Which sucks! :lol:

#870 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,476 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:25

Finally got expensive F1 car for seasonal event races. Have to say 10 laps of Eifel custom track is very fun, fast and long track. I recommend playing it. :)

#871 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:31

Yea, earning money for the expenseive cars sucks in GT5. I love this game, but I hate it as well. You'd think with all the development time the actual single player progression would have improved, but no. The used car buying is just retarded, how do I know when/if/where I'll be able to buy a specific car?

I like Forza 3's approach - make all cars available from the start. Easily purchase the ones you want/need.

Although, once you get into fast cars driving in GT5 is excellent.

---

P.S. Does anyone want to gift me a Formula Gran Turismo?

#872 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 14:30

1.The used car buying is just retarded, how do I know when/if/where I'll be able to buy a specific car?

---

2. P.S. Does anyone want to gift me a Formula Gran Turismo?

1. Used car shoroom: Easiest way to do this is to go into the licence tests. Load in tests 1-5 from the first licence consecutivley. (loading a track advances showroom by 6 cars and drops 6 off) this will update the whole list. Just make sure you have enough cash, some of the cars can run up to 10-12 million!

2. Cheeky! (I tried already!! ;) ) As pointed out by Jaisli earlier you can't gift cars above 1 million credits, only loan them. :down:

Edited by Tony Mandara, 23 June 2011 - 14:32.

#873 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:24

Thanks for the tip on the used cars...I knew there had to be some method to the madness. At any rate I finally unlocked the enurance events, and am doing the first one tonight.

I love this game, but they really could have improved the single player progression.

EDIT: Just finished the race. 2 hours and 5 minutes with two pitstops and the second stint being pretty slow. I always enjoyed endurance events like this, especially in Forza Motorsport. I don't see the 24 hour races happening without some in-game save though.

Edited by T-Mobile, 24 June 2011 - 05:12.

#874 Ninja2b

Ninja2b

• 628 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 16:41

Ah damn!

I've lost the adaptor for my G25. Apparently the specs are:
24 Volts
1.75 Amps
Center Pole Positive.

Can I trust eBay or where is it best to go?

Thanks

I had exactly the same issue... I got a replacement from http://cpc.farnell.com/ - can't remember exactly what part it was, but it works fine. I couldn't find one anywhere else!

#875 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,473 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 16:49

Anyone enjoying (or noticed?) the changes to the AI made in the last update (1.10)? I've found some races much harder, and it's given the game a bit of a new life...

I was doing the Dream Car Championship yesterday in my Zonda LM racer (nice series to do for racing and credits), and pre-1.10 I'd be able to cruise to victory in most of the events by 8 or seconds, even when the Jag XJR is thrown in... yesterday was much different.... Didn't finish anywhere higher than 2nd... and that was with the Jag behind me in some of those races...

The AI cars move a lot more naturally now, and when I spun at a wet Le Mans in Arcade mode, even though I span on the racing line all 15 cars took evasive action, whereas before I'd be hit and hit and hit and hit and... well, you know...

It was bloody good fun though. I've still got a problem with these rolling starts, there's never enough (hardly any in fact!) with a grid start, even at tracks with clear grid markings on the pit straight!

Also liking the half-price cars in the Online dealership, they come all shiny and with 0 miles on the clock!

#876 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 15:33

Thats certainly one disappointment with GT - the AI, or lack therof. I always thought Forza Motorsport was way ahead in this regard.

#877 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,473 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 23:15

Thats certainly one disappointment with GT - the AI, or lack therof. I always thought Forza Motorsport was way ahead in this regard.

Lots of other titles are way ahead in this regard, but at least the latest update has increased the speed and 'racing awareness' of the AI...

#878 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:25

saving up for the Zonda R. is it good for the Dream car championship?

love this game, target is the F2007 for me.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 26 June 2011 - 10:25.

#879 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 19:09

OK, after repeatedly grinding away at the Indy race of the American extreme event (forget the name) I bought a Formula Gran Turismo for 2.5 mil on the online store. Unfortunately its purple and I can't change its color, but holy s*** does it perform.

About to do a 20 lap Formuila event now...

Advertisement

#880 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,473 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 22:35

Just blew my savings on a Peugeot 908, and man it's good!! Took me a little while to get used to the torque low down the revs, and you can have an embarrassing spin pretty easily even when using the throttle lightly down in the lower gears. Took it to the High Speed Ring for a time trial blast, and it was brilliant. Gave me so much confidence to brake late and get on power early, even on a circuit as fast as this one. The lairier moments out of the slower bends into the tunnel were easily controllable, and actually pretty fun to do on purpose!

Am also loving the helmets and suits... cool little details like that keep me well amused :p

#881 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,473 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 22:47

saving up for the Zonda R. is it good for the Dream car championship?

love this game, target is the F2007 for me.

Haven't got the Zonda R yet, but you can try it in Arcade Mode, as it's one of the default cars available to you. For the Dream Car Champ you'd probably need an LM racer, as the game usually throws in a joker like the XJR-12 Jaguar. To me, the Zonda R seems a little bit off the LM and GT1 car pace, so it's perhaps better to look towards a Zonda LM or Lister Storm (for a proper challenge to win), or the Minolta Toyota/Sauber C9 (for really beating the Jag) in that series.

#882 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:12

Haven't got the Zonda R yet, but you can try it in Arcade Mode, as it's one of the default cars available to you. For the Dream Car Champ you'd probably need an LM racer, as the game usually throws in a joker like the XJR-12 Jaguar. To me, the Zonda R seems a little bit off the LM and GT1 car pace, so it's perhaps better to look towards a Zonda LM or Lister Storm (for a proper challenge to win), or the Minolta Toyota/Sauber C9 (for really beating the Jag) in that series.

thanks. that's a bit of a shame, because I wanted to do it with a premium car.

I've got a minolta toyota, and I like it, but no inside view. :cry:

#883 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,473 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:40

thanks. that's a bit of a shame, because I wanted to do it with a premium car.

I've got a minolta toyota, and I like it, but no inside view. :cry:

I don't miss it so much as I don't tend to use cockpit views anyway. The wheel lag from the virtual representation is a bit distracting when you have a real one infront of you, so I tend to use 'bumper cam', which means I get a consistent view from all my cars :)

The Minolta Toyota is a cracker, been getting wild at the 'Ring in that one since GT4 :D

I would recommend one of the LM cars, maybe with a power upgrade just for that extra kick.

A highly tuned Race Modded ZR1 would be a good choice for this series too... I only don't use mine so much in it because it's setup to be a beast at Indy for the grind race!

#884 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:38

Guys. I have a Zonda R, and I'm pretty damn sure I didn't buy it. Isn't it a prize car?

Beware of spending $Ridiculous on a car which is a prize car. I spent a lot on a Toyota 7 (see back a few posts) to win ONE race aaand.........yes!!! Yooouu-guessed-it. .....
A Toyota 7!! :evil:

Edit: Have 12.5 million....need Fomula GT car........

must.........resist.........urge ..........to buy.........F2007!!! (I just hope that Daiblo doesn't appear again!)

Anyone know how long the cheapo prices in the online showroom will last? Last time I saw the FGT car it was 4.7 mil!

Edited by Tony Mandara, 27 June 2011 - 14:12.

#885 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 16:52

I don't miss it so much as I don't tend to use cockpit views anyway. The wheel lag from the virtual representation is a bit distracting when you have a real one infront of you, so I tend to use 'bumper cam', which means I get a consistent view from all my cars :)

The Minolta Toyota is a cracker, been getting wild at the 'Ring in that one since GT4 :D

I would recommend one of the LM cars, maybe with a power upgrade just for that extra kick.

A highly tuned Race Modded ZR1 would be a good choice for this series too... I only don't use mine so much in it because it's setup to be a beast at Indy for the grind race!

dont like the zr1. too much understeer imo, and it feels like there is too much power.

i use the cockpit cam all the time. love it on the nurburgring. :love:

thanks for the advice, but im about 3-4m short on the lmp cars.

Edit: Have 12.5 million....need Fomula GT car........

must.........resist.........urge ..........to buy.........F2007!!!

how the :eek: :eek:

Edited by SCUDmissile, 27 June 2011 - 16:52.

#886 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 14:11

What races (and cars used) do you guys usually do when simply grinding away for money? I did the American series event at Indy in the Extreme series for 97K each time...

#887 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 14:37

Offline? Dream Car Championship. Takes a while. (A-spec is naturally a bit quicker) 85-90k per race and 400.000 championship prize.

Try looking back a few pages in this thread. Some of the guys have come up with some golden nuggets when it comes to hints and tips.

Edit: I use a fully tuned Jaguar XJR9 Race car. You'll need this sort of spec car for B-spec race. In A-Spec you can win in a Zonda LM.

Edited by Tony Mandara, 28 June 2011 - 14:40.

#888 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 19:08

What races (and cars used) do you guys usually do when simply grinding away for money? I did the American series event at Indy in the Extreme series for 97K each time...

luckily, i havent had to grind yet. best bet is to do b-spec American championship with the Chevrolet Corvette RM, or some American Group c/ lemans car.

then, you can do other stuff, like go outside and that. i love it now!

dont have to play to get money and xp :lol:

#889 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 16:41

Guys, just for the record, while I despise 'grinding' myself, and don't really actively partake in the process, if you do need 'quick' and 'easy' money, the new Ferrari Seasonal event is the way to go. In particular the 1 lap La Sarthe race. It allows you to choose any Ferrari up to 650PP. So if you have an Enzo or even F430 Scuderia, add some downforce, put on some racing tires, and while it's not particularly challenging, it's an 'easy' win. And that win will net you 504,000 credits in roughly 4 & 1/2 minutes. So an hour of this and you'll be swimming in cash. Three hours straight through and you'll have nearly 20,000,000 credits.

#890 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 18:47

Guys, just for the record, while I despise 'grinding' myself, and don't really actively partake in the process, if you do need 'quick' and 'easy' money, the new Ferrari Seasonal event is the way to go. In particular the 1 lap La Sarthe race. It allows you to choose any Ferrari up to 650PP. So if you have an Enzo or even F430 Scuderia, add some downforce, put on some racing tires, and while it's not particularly challenging, it's an 'easy' win. And that win will net you 504,000 credits in roughly 4 & 1/2 minutes. So an hour of this and you'll be swimming in cash. Three hours straight through and you'll have nearly 20,000,000 credits.

Thank you sir, I think I'll do that when I get home.

Short of perfectly planning your GT5 progression, how do you avoid the need to grind?

#891 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 19:56

thank you man. a use for all my Ferraris! (first car i bought was a 512, and now got all of them apart from the F1 cars)

but my PSN has been funny ever since this hacking business :rolleyes:

#892 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 21:24

thank you man. a use for all my Ferraris! (first car i bought was a 512, and now got all of them apart from the F1 cars)

but my PSN has been funny ever since this hacking business :rolleyes:

wow, that was certainly the way to go. Even in 3rd you get a bunch of cash. Im not afraid to say that I'm going to milk the crap out of this.

#893 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 13:23

Nice find Jaisli. Good advice. :up:

Only accessible online, so in my case I'm still buggered!! :|

Ah...The screws they keep a' turnin!! :drunk:

#894 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,212 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 16:30

Short of perfectly planning your GT5 progression, how do you avoid the need to grind?

Well, obviously GT5 is a game. But a lot of the goals many traditional GT enthusiasts had, i.e:
- 1000 cars in the garage (also a trophy)
- Level 40 A-spec
- Level 40 B-spec
- All endurance races completed
- All gold in the license tests completed
- Gold in the Red Bull Challenge

Well, they didn't really mean that much to me. Yes, I golded all the license tests, but since you don't NEED to gold them to move on or progress through the game, it didn't mean that much. And in general, I was a bit disenchanted with the S-level tests because I didn't think it taught proper technique. And it forced you to race the AWFUL AI. To me, I prefer to treat GT5 less as a single player game, at which it's pretty disappointing anyway, and treat it as a slightly sub-par, but graphically superior, online racing sim, that has all the ease and benefits of being a console game.

I have 20,000,000 credits. And I have for some time. I got them by progressing through the game. It's not that I don't play. I'm level 36 A-spec. But I managed to hoard them away because in the beginning, before there was a trading limit cap of 1,000,000 credits and total trade per day limit of (1) car or item, along with a group of like minded individuals on my friend list, we pooled our resources and simply gave out cars to each other with impunity. We didn't trade. We dispersed them to each other like candy. And we got them by either buying them and then 'duplicating them before we gifted them to each other or ourselves via sub-accounts, or by exploiting the birthday gift. I really couldn't see running "Like the Wind" for 18 hours straight just to buy a car I wanted. Ridiculous. Some people call it cheating. To me, it's just a means to an end. All the cars were on the disc. It's not like I was 'stealing' them. In-game credits aren't really worth anything.

Another trick is to set up all 6 of your B-spec idiots online. Then create a sub-account and create online races with all the b-spec guys on your friend list. But instead of manually creating the races on www.gran-turismo.com, I used a yahoo widget that would automatically keep creating races as soon as one finished. And if you just leave it running for a few days and nights, you pile up credits fairly quickly. I abhor the whole credit earning, credit grinding, system. But on the off chance that we ever get a spec-II update and some (free) DLC cars that we'll have to purchase with in-game credits, aside from my 20,000,000 million, I also have another 30,000,000 or so million sitting in the wings on-line from my B-spec guys.

I'm not really an anarchist or one of those people always looking for an easy way out. I was just more interested in running (organized) on-line races and events and needed the cars to do it. Sadly, for those who do think like me, there have been a lot of restrictions put in place that make these techniques impossible.

Nice find Jaisli. Good advice. :up:

Only accessible online, so in my case I'm still buggered!! :|

Ah...The screws they keep a' turnin!! :drunk:

Yeah, I noticed. You still haven't answered my friend request from like a month ago. :lol:

#895 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,473 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 16:32

Made myself a cool 5 mil in the quick blast I had on the Le Mans Ferrari event today :)

Work intervened but I'm sure I'll pick up where I left off when I get back tonight...

Been doing it in my monster F40, just under 4 minute lap.

#896 abc02

abc02

• 253 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 23:24

I duped almost all the expensive cars I wanted before Polyphony patched the duping exploit. :) That way I can properly enjoy what GT5 has to offer without torturing myself by grinding for cash.

I wish they'd make it easier for people to earn cash and XP though. No one should have to grind.

#897 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,145 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:26

Yeah, I noticed. You still haven't answered my friend request from like a month ago. :lol:

Sorry dude! :blush: I really haven't been online in that time. Will reply at the first available opportunity! :D

Edited by Tony Mandara, 01 July 2011 - 09:54.

#898 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:32

I duped almost all the expensive cars I wanted before Polyphony patched the duping exploit. :) That way I can properly enjoy what GT5 has to offer without torturing myself by grinding for cash.

I wish they'd make it easier for people to earn cash and XP though. No one should have to grind.

yeah, there needs to be a compromise between GT and Grid, where in the ned you gain about £10M a race, yet nothing to do with it, after ytou buy all the cars.

#899 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,212 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 14:38

Yeah, it's tough. And it's the proverbial catch 22 for console games. They have to be all things to all people. Can you imagine the outrage if iRacing suddenly told people that if they want to drive the Riley, they'd have to 'earn' credits by doing 250 lap free-runs? :lol: And by the same token, if all the cars in GT5 were available from the beginning (as I would have preferred), a lot of casual players who are 'gamers' first and sim racers a distant, 12th, would have considered it boring, at best.

I have a lot of little irks with GT5 and a great many things I would like to see added, improved or implemented.

My ideal wish-list for the next update:
- leveling of the physics system off-line and on-line with tire wear and fuel consumption being a part of, or at least an option, off line.
- More sophisticated and balanced tire modeling with shorter life for soft tires and longer life for hard tires.
- A fix or slider scale to adjust the slipstream to a more realistic level.
- FFWD and RRWD controls for replays.
- Save option for endurance races.
- A completely rewritten algorithm for the AI where they're actually competitive, don't brake 50m too early, don't brake mid-apex, they fight for position but don't close the door on you when you're ALREADY up along side them.
- A fix for the AI where they understand the difference between lapped cars and cars passing for position.
- A more sophisticated visual damage model with a much lower threshold. Smacking a wall head on at > 100 kmh should pretty much destroy the car. Smacking a wall head on at >30 kmh should do some serious damage.
- All tracks now have the ability to change time and add variable weather conditions, both online and offline.
- A revision to the course editor where we (1) actually have some control over the track and (2) they get rid of the horrible notion of corner over crest at every opportunity.
- A fix for online races where lapped cars finish their race the NEXT time they cross the finish line after the leader.
- A proper practice and qualifying system for off-line races.
- Monthly updates with 1 track and 5 cars, which will continue for the next 12~18 months until we have (a) Spa, Imola, Road America, Silverstone, Hockenheim, Mugello, Bathurst, Mont-Tremblant, Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve, Road Atlanta, etc, among others, and (b) many missing and desired premium cars, including premium versions of ALL LMP cars in the game, while adding, all classic Ferraris from Ferrari Challenge, as well as all current and past DTM and many FIA GT cars.
- an 'invite' system to the lobby.
- A spectator mode that can host up to 32 players. (I know, probably the most unrealistic of all requests).
- A fix to take away the time penalty for shifting with the H-pattern shifter.
- A customized leaderboard system similar to Shift2 where you can set parameters and have anybody on your friend list participate.
- General leaderboards with 'stock' cars.
- Cars should actually, you know, get dirty during a long race. And ahh, STAY dirty until we wash them.

There are probably others, but this would be good for a start. :cool: Thank goodness my expectations aren't too high. :blush:

In the meantime, new seasonals are up using the SuperGT cars and they pay out even slightly more! Although the credit per minute ratio is still better in the Ferrari races.

And no worries, Tony. :wave:

Advertisement

#900 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 17:32

finished the dream car challenge. Ferrari fan with Ferrari strategy :rolleyes:

saw the weather on the screen at the 'ring and LeMans, so changed to inters. then i go, and it is bone dry. :lol:

then at Monza, go on inters aswell, but it is time for full wets, then i forgot to take these tyres off at the Tokyo track.

i now have to fix my online, to get the FGT, and the other F1 cars.

now, since i am a noob compared to some on here, i just finished the rally GT, and ive got a tip. on the dirt tracks, the middle line with tire tracks can be wet and extremely slippy, so keep on the kind of banked bits on the inside or outside.