* * * * - 6 votes

Gran Turismo 5

• Please log in to reply
1335 replies to this topic

#51 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:07

I rather see excellent car game made well and long than hop into Need For Speed serie makers who seems to release shit after shit every 6 months.

What PRY says is correct. Polyphony Digital began work on GT5 long before the PS3 was on store shelves. But they're a very secretive company and Kaz rarely gives interviews. When he does, he's extremely guarded with what he tells the press.

Don't get me wrong, I expect high standards from GT5 and I think Prologue was a sample of what's to come. They set the benchmark for photorealistic graphics that are nothing short of stunning. For a console game, it has a very impressive and sophisticated physics model. But there are areas where it could use some improvement. My main complaint, exactly as Juan Kerr pointed out is in regards to FFB. And I just think that spreading their resources to include nearly 1,000 cars is turning this into a much bigger project than it needs to be. That and GT Mobile.

Advertisement

#52 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,568 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 14:51

Heh, I remember quite soon after GT4 was released some people moaned it has only 6 cars on track. They tweaked demo to have more than 20 cars on track.

#53 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 15:13

Heh, I remember quite soon after GT4 was released some people moaned it has only 6 cars on track. They tweaked demo to have more than 20 cars on track.

Well, look it's true. You're always going to have people that complain no matter what. And there are those people who argue that Gran Turismo has always been about (a) cutting edge visuals and (b) the variety of cars, including being able to race some very basic street cars. And they're right. But my argument is, people will eventually settle on a few of their favorite cars. If a game offers 50 cars, you're probably eager to try them all in the beginning. But most likely you'll hover around your 5 or 6 or 10 favorites. Or, you'll end up picking the cars that are simply best suited to a particular track.

I would much rather GT5 was released today (or six months ago) with 100 cars and 25 tracks. And they could have sold the remaining 900 cars and X amount of tracks as DLC. The whole WRC track and car combo could have been a $20 DLC package. As an example.

#54 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,568 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 16:29

I disagree, I hate concept of dlc you have to pay. Next step is monthly fee for them. Only wow nerds are stupid enough to pay.

#55 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 16:46

Well, a monthly fee I wouldn't want either. But I don't think the concept of DLC is so terrible. It's pay if you want. You don't want a particular car or track and you pass. It would be a different story if the game only came with 1 car and 1 track.

#56 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:10

But my argument is, people will eventually settle on a few of their favorite cars. If a game offers 50 cars, you're probably eager to try them all in the beginning. But most likely you'll hover around your 5 or 6 or 10 favorites.

The flaw with that arguement is that my 5 or 6 favourite cars were probably in the 750 that you've excluded from the game.

For instance my all time favourite car in GT4 is the Suzuki GSX4, which most people will never have driven.

Either way, I wish they'd hurry up and release it already !

Slightly off-topic can the new PS3 slim play GT4 ? or have the removed PS2 compatability?

#57 Stephan

Stephan

• 1,142 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:21

The flaw with that arguement is that my 5 or 6 favourite cars were probably in the 750 that you've excluded from the game.

For instance my all time favourite car in GT4 is the Suzuki GSX4, which most people will never have driven.

Slightly off-topic can the new PS3 slim play GT4 ? or have the removed PS2 compatability?

No, backwards compatibility is not added.

#58 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:23

I think i'll find myself sticking almost exclusively to those car that have an interior modelled. I hate how annonymous racing from the bumper or roof cam is and I can't bring myself to drive in chase view.

#59 FI-Addict

FI-Addict

• 167 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 21:44

GT5 Main Menu Screenshots - http://www.joystiq.c...-turismo-5-ps3/
GT for PSP Screenshots - http://www.joystiq.c...urismo-psp-9-1/

http://playstation.j...shots-released/

It's still hard for us to believe that Gran Turismo 5 is actually getting closer to completion. After years of teases and updates to Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Polyphony Digital has finally released the first ever official screenshots of the upcoming retail game.

The screenshots aren't particularly revealing. In fact, nothing was quite as telling as the game's trailer from E3 this year. Also, the screens look terrific -- but don't be surprised if they resemble Prologue quite a bit.

In addition to the first ever screens of Gran Turismo 5 for PS3, SCEA has also provided brand new real screens (unlike the renders provided earlier this year) of the upcoming Gran Turismo for PSP.

Advertisement

#60 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,568 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:46

Wild rumour says Sony will release Gran Turismo 5 in September 25th 2009 binded with Tokyo Games Show 2009.
source: http://www.psbeyond....th-UK.1197.html

Usually speculations with GT games are very random till you actually hold your copy in your hands, but I can safely say I have preordered game. Would be nice surprise to get hold on game later this month. :D

#61 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 15:10

Wild rumour says Sony will release Gran Turismo 5 in September 25th 2009 binded with Tokyo Games Show 2009.
source: http://www.psbeyond....th-UK.1197.html

Usually speculations with GT games are very random till you actually hold your copy in your hands, but I can safely say I have preordered game. Would be nice surprise to get hold on game later this month. :D

about time. comes way too late. forza much better but I might buy gt5 it if it has a bunch of unlockable f1 cars. :stoned:

Edited by Lewis, 11 September 2009 - 15:11.

#62 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:34

forza much better

I know I never understand your posts anyway, but how do you know when GT5 isn't out yet FFS?

#63 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 23:35

I know I never understand your posts anyway, but how do you know when GT5 isn't out yet FFS?

:up: :rotfl: seriously, cornflakes with milk today was good!!! Flowers in the garden Sweet! :blush: ;)

sorry, maybe I judged to soon, but I watched many videos of the gameplay and think forza is overall better. I will buy them both though. I just hope GT5 will have many F1 cars which you can unlock! :clap:

Edited by Lewis, 14 September 2009 - 23:36.

#64 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,392 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:54

Finally a date for this game, March 2010 :up:

/Viktor

#65 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:36

Finally a date for this game, March 2010 :up:

/Viktor

And that's if you live in Japan. ;) But at least it's a date. And as far as I know, this is the first time PD or Sony have EVER officially put a date down for GT5. Everything else has been pure speculation.

So, another 6 months. LOL Ho-hum. You guys still want 1000 cars?

#66 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,568 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 15:08

And that's if you live in Japan.;) But at least it's a date. And as far as I know, this is the first time PD or Sony have EVER officially put a date down for GT5. Everything else has been pure speculation.

So, another 6 months. LOL Ho-hum. You guys still want 1000 cars?

Yes, worth to wait. Better have years developed excellent game than quickly in 2 weeks put together Need For Speed Shift, which will turn out to be ordinary shit...;)

#67 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 19:28

Gran Turismo 5 Tribute to Ferrari 458 Italia

#68 klyster

klyster

• 4,377 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:07

Real gameplay, not pre rendered showoff stuff ;)

Edited by klyster, 25 September 2009 - 01:14.

#69 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 21:05

Yes, worth to wait. Better have years developed excellent game than quickly in 2 weeks put together Need For Speed Shift, which will turn out to be ordinary shit...;)

Excellent game?

It's just more car models. Same stupid rallycross pretending to be WRC, same physics. big push on NASCAR.

March or whenever, it's still start at the back, pass a bunch of cars. That's not racing.

Nice way to sell cars, cutting edge graphics, but I wish they spent more time on real racing environments, not just more car models.

#70 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,892 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 13:30

Oh man as soon as this game is released I lose my social life.

#71 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 16:24

Oh man as soon as this game is released I lose my social life.

GT5 and Football Manger 2010... the end of my social life.

#72 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,892 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 16:52

Welcome to the 21st century :rotfl: :rotfl:

#73 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 18:22

:clap:

#74 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,069 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 14:37

When I get GT5.. I probably won't leave the house for a few months, but judging by GT4 (which I sold and bought back 3 times because at times I thought it was amazing and at times I thought it was pure shit) there will be a bunch of annoying flaws with the game. I got annoyed with stupid things in GT4, like how the wind was louder than all the engines. Running up through the gears on the Mulsanne Straight in a McLaren F1 GTR and all I can hear is wind.

#75 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,568 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:00

Running up through the gears on the Mulsanne Straight in a McLaren F1 GTR and all I can hear is wind.

Did you had similar experience with other rear engine cars?
First hours I played GT4 with reasonable bad TV. It was not capable to deal with stereo sound so there was no engine sounds for rear engine cars. Switching sound settings to mono seemed to work till better TV.

#76 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,205 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:26

First hours I played GT4 with reasonable bad TV. It was not capable to deal with stereo sound so there was no engine sounds for rear engine cars. Switching sound settings to mono seemed to work till better TV.

Correct. :up: Had exactly the same issue myself. Mono settings did improve it a bit, but it still rendered things like split screen racing with rear engined cars a total waste of time. :cry:

Tony.

#77 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,069 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 16:46

No, I found the wind to be exaggerated in general but I do know what you mean, setting it up through my stereo helped a lot in general, especially with the Rufs, being rear-engined. My point is just that most race cars are abnormally loud and yet the engines were rather quiet. I just hope GT5 includes sound settings similar to Toca 3, in that engine noise and sound effects are two different options.

#78 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,612 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:59

Is there any chance that we might see Bathurst included as one of the tracks?

#79 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,568 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 15:19

GTPlanet.net reveals Gran Turismo casing will contain 3 separated blue ray discs...
Makes wonder how large that gmae is. :p

Advertisement

#80 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 00:55

Hoping for many F1 cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :up:

Posted Image

#81 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,169 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:52

Many... old... F1 cars? What is that? A 2006 car? Nicely mirrored textures too!

#82 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,205 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:31

Well, that shot is a fake. But as there was no licence for F1 games up until 2009/10 it could be posible for the final game to include F1 cars from 2007/2008.

On a slightly darker note, all the stores in Amstedam have removed all the pre-order packaging of GT5 from their shelves ): they're not expecting to see it for quite a while yet methinks. :cry:

#83 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 20:16

■ models included
1,000 vehicles

What only 1,000? at this rate, we'll have 2-3,000 cars by the time this game appears.

■ Courses
60 courses confirmed with 20 or more to be revealed

Mostly fake tracks? I [heart] circles and ovals.

■ physical simulation of vehicles
Physics system simulation is brand new

Really, I thought GT5 was the ultimate physics simulation?

faithfully reproducing the behavior of electric cars, i.e. Prius, Insight, hybrid cars and the latest Tesla model

I'm like a giddy schoolgirl anticipating hotlapping Daytona in a Prius.

Car Washes/Oil Change

Yay...more stupid car washes and oil changes. What? no gas station?

■ Gran Turismo TV

Improved user interface

Anything would be an improvement over the current crap.

A few people have mentioned a December 10th release date but this wasn't mentioned in Black Chamber's unofficial translation.

GT5 fans are so pathetic. It's at least March 2010 for Japan. You can play Forza 3 for a year.

#84 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 22:24

Well, that shot is a fake. But as there was no licence for F1 games up until 2009/10 it could be posible for the final game to include F1 cars from 2007/2008.

On a slightly darker note, all the stores in Amstedam have removed all the pre-order packaging of GT5 from their shelves ): they're not expecting to see it for quite a while yet methinks. :cry:

Could live with that. :p 2007 and 2008 would be very cool!

#85 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 00:10

GT5 fans are so pathetic.

That's out of line mate.

#86 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 27,064 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 16:53

That's out of line mate.

Everything else he said was right though.

1,000+ cars + 10 unique cars and 990 skyline varients.

30 tracks = 15 reversed.

#87 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 224 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 18:49

Everything else he said was right though.

1,000+ cars + 10 unique cars and 990 skyline varients.

30 tracks = 15 reversed.

Yeah and Fuji has like 4 variations, Suzuka 3. Forza 3 has tracks with 8 or more variations.

#88 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:00

What only 1,000? at this rate, we'll have 2-3,000 cars by the time this game appears.

Mostly fake tracks? I [heart] circles and ovals.

Really, I thought GT5 was the ultimate physics simulation?

I'm like a giddy schoolgirl anticipating hotlapping Daytona in a Prius.

Yay...more stupid car washes and oil changes. What? no gas station?

Anything would be an improvement over the current crap.

GT5 fans are so pathetic. It's at least March 2010 for Japan. You can play Forza 3 for a year.

1. For somebody claiming that GT has fake tracks, I wouldn't be too happy with the line up in Forza 3.
Considering GT4 had upwards of 20 real life circuits, thats nearly the entire line up of Forza 3 including fake circuits. So while your peddling around on your 20 circuits, i'll enjoy my 80 odd.

2. Unlike the Forza Motorspot gang, PD understand that their physics engine isn't perfect. They're not rehashing the same crap with a different wrapper. Which btw is becoming an increasing criticism of Forza 3 already....

3. I'm giddy looking forward to not paying for XBOX live or a wireless adapter at that.

4. Because Oil changes aren't a significant part of owning a car :wave:

I'll look forward to GT, because unlike Forza, the only thing the game costs me is the disk I purchase it on. Of course i'll look forward to my almost guaranteed free DLC. As well as day night and weather changes.

Really, if GT comes with a livery editor, Forza 3 has nothing what so ever on it....

Edited by marchi-91, 24 October 2009 - 06:02.

#89 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 13:04

lol, marchi. you sound jealous. I mean forz3 is now the best there is. and it is still unsure if gt5 will ever be released and when released in 2012 if it will be better. :confused: and yes I play 360 and PS$3 and will play both games.

Edited by Lewis, 24 October 2009 - 13:05.

#90 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 224 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 17:06

lol why would he be jealous at Forza lol? The floaty Physics? The less-than-GT5P graphics? Or would it be the tyre marks? He rather sounds confident that GT5 is going to own FM3. :)

#91 klyster

klyster

• 4,377 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 22:25

But Forza 4 will probably own GT5 and GT6 won't be out till 2015 and buy then Forza 7 will be out.

Edited by klyster, 24 October 2009 - 22:26.

#92 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:55

But Forza 4 will probably own GT5 and GT6 won't be out till 2015 and buy then Forza 7 will be out.

What you don't understand, is that GT5 is a completely new game from scratch. Forza were able to transfer their basic physics engine from Forza 2 over. Every single car in Gran Turismo 5 has been completely redesigned. Instead of a single piece car that they were able to get away with when there was no damage, every panel now needs to be designed individually on each car. Even more detailed to those cars with full damage modeling. Added to that the 1000+ cars with interior view and its a mammoth effort.

The game would have been out this year if not for their new state of the art damage physics model. Unlike previous racing games, GT's is completely revolutionary in the sense it incorporates real time damage not pre designated damage modeling that every other racing game has had. Its a similar model to that used by car companies when hypothetically testing their cars before testing.

Forza is a good game, no doubt, buts its not a game for real driving enthusiasts. It claims to take the mantel away from Gran Turismo, is far off the mark. They are different games competing for a different market.

Oh and Forza 2 was beaten by GT5:P in sales.

I'll leave you at that :wave:

#93 klyster

klyster

• 4,377 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:20

I'll reserve judgement when it finally comes out, lol.

BTW, how do you determine who is a real driving enthusiast and how do you measure the overall interest in either game?
And what does Forza 2 have to do with this? ;D

Edited by klyster, 25 October 2009 - 08:21.

#94 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:40

Standard Forza vs GT arguments, lame.

Forza probably is a very good game for the Xbox, but this thread is about GT5. Nobody cares if Forza 3 is out and GT5 isn't. What the hell does that have to do with anything?

GT5:P came out ages ago anyway and has had some hefty updates if you want to argue about all the release dates and that sort of nonsense.

I'm sure GT5 will have at least some F1 cars. GT5:P had an F2007. I remember lapping around a 1:35 on Suzuka. Not bad I guess. You could always shave that down with more practice.

It'll also have NASCAR and WRC. I couldn't care less about Forza.

#95 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 224 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 15:41

Forza probably is a very good game for the Xbox, but this thread is about GT5. Nobody cares if Forza 3 is out and GT5 isn't. What the hell does that have to do with anything?

GT5:P came out ages ago anyway and has had some hefty updates if you want to argue about all the release dates and that sort of nonsense.

I'm sure GT5 will have at least some F1 cars. GT5:P had an F2007. I remember lapping around a 1:35 on Suzuka. Not bad I guess. You could always shave that down with more practice.

It'll also have NASCAR and WRC. I couldn't care less about Forza.

I agree with you. And I'm proud to say that I have managed a laptime of a high 1:29 in the F2007 on Suzuka. :blush: I can't wait for GT5 to come out ofcourse, but if we wait, the game will become better and better quality-wise. I love the gameplay that you have to start off slow, upgrading your car and stuff. I used to have more fun with it when I was younger though, because I was not so good as I am now, everything was harder and it took me longer, so that was a bit more fun. I hope to see lots of Ferrari's alot of tracks, rain, online races with pitstops and changing weather. I enjoy the license tests alot too.

#96 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 16:55

Forza probably is a very good game for the Xbox, but this thread is about GT5.

Precisely.

#97 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 23:57

lol. funny cat and dog game. who is the dog? must be gt5. :drunk: if gt5 has the f1 cars I will play gt5 over and over. still the design mode is a strong point of forza.

will there also be a gt5 playseat with steering wheel. I always wanted to get a F1 steering wheel. :eek: yeah I know who not :rotfl: just imagine a F1 GT5 playseat :love:

#98 RedElva

RedElva

• 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:14

All hail the GSX4! Was on Tokyo motor show special edition of GT4 I think? I'll treat myself to a bottle of Remi Martin if PD put it in GT5! Even race you online in it.

Edited by RedElva, 11 November 2009 - 05:16.

#99 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 14:21

My only problems with the Grand Turismo series, is the fact that they claim all these tracks when most of them are reversed versions or chopped versions of the same track. And the dumb license's you have to pass to unlock stuff. That said I've always enjoyed the game versions.

Advertisement

#100 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 224 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:01

My only problems with the Grand Turismo series, is the fact that they claim all these tracks when most of them are reversed versions or chopped versions of the same track. And the dumb license's you have to pass to unlock stuff. That said I've always enjoyed the game versions.

You haven't seen Forza 3 then. Claiming they have over 100 tracks when 18 of them are different layouts of one single track.
As for the license tests, I like them.