* * * * - 6 votes

Gran Turismo 5

• Please log in to reply
1335 replies to this topic

#151 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 16:53

I would like to play this game before I'm 60, Tony...considering I'm 45 now!

Advertisement

#152 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 17:08

I would like to play this game before I'm 60, Tony...considering I'm 45 now!

:lol: I would like to play it aged 45, but as I'm 66 there's not much hope...

#153 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:59

Well, looks like Gran Turismo 6 will break tradition and most certainly be a PS4 exclusive if these development times are anything to go by. :lol:

Hopefully we get an update to Prologue this year so that we can experience the improved physics and such with the game's proper graphics.

#154 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,174 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 13:58

Eh?!

You've got to be Kidding?! Gran Tourismo 6 will be PS7 exclusive!!

And I wouldn't expect any more updates for prologue, I seriously doubt that they would take any resouces away from the main game development to update (for free) what was in effect an overpriced demo.

However, as Sony have GT5 Prologue running in 3D (Although not available to buy) I wouldn't be surprised if part of the delay is to incorparate 3D, but who knows......

#155 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,317 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 15:17

what was in effect an overpriced demo.

Tell me about it, I paid £20 in HMV for it a couple weeks after recently getting a PS3 in anticipation of GT5. Nearly completed the bugger after 4 or 5 goes! In GT4 Idve barely got the first license after playing that long!

#156 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,174 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 15:24

Same here! ): I've played online quite a bit, but other than that I haven't touched it much. looking forward (regretably a loooong way forward) to the full game. Did you find an original model PS3 by the way, or did you buy a slim and lite version?

#157 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,317 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 20:11

To cut a long story short I almost bought the slim one at christmas but was sold out then the new house ive moved into im borrowing my friends original 40gb model. Im really impressed with it, very capable piece of kit. Particularly using the PS3 media server tool from laptop so can watch stuff stored on hard drive via wireless straight to the big screen tv in the lounge :)

#158 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 20:38

To cut a long story short I almost bought the slim one at christmas but was sold out then the new house ive moved into im borrowing my friends original 40gb model. Im really impressed with it, very capable piece of kit. Particularly using the PS3 media server tool from laptop so can watch stuff stored on hard drive via wireless straight to the big screen tv in the lounge :)

It will also output in 3D with a firmware upgrade this summer. Kinda pointless technology, but you have to do something while waiting for F1201x and Gt5 to show up.

#159 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,511 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:18

GTPlanet tips GT5 will be released October 2010. :rotfl:

Don't know should we cry or laugh.

Advertisement

#160 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,344 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:09

It will also output in 3D with a firmware upgrade this summer. Kinda pointless technology

It really isn't. I have nVidia 3D Vision on my PC, and for shooter/action games it's undoubtedly a gimmick. It's impressive but ultimately you do better staying in 2D.

BUT

For simulators, it's fantastic. For racing sims with a wheel & pedal combo, it's PERFECTLY suited in my opinion. I can pick out braking points and markers FAR more accurately. You get a far better impression of spacial awareness and car positioning. :up:

#161 Alan Boiston

Alan Boiston

• 34 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:59

Yeah the official date is "fall" so any time in that period, the actual date will be announced at the E3 show in June along with a blowout of info about the entire package. Oh and if you haven't seen them, 3 new night shots.

Funnily enough GT6 has been officially discussed and it will come out on the PS3, perhaps as soon as 2012?

#162 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,511 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 17:17

Some frustrated fans has made this hilarious Hitler video (from movie Downfall) about GT5 getting delayed.

:lol:

#163 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 19:58

Funnily enough GT6 has been officially discussed and it will come out on the PS3, perhaps as soon as 2012?

Oh yeah, I've pre-ordered GT6 prologue and expect 4 more years of HD trailers.

#164 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,511 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:32

I don't want to shake up too optimistic hopes, but play.com - important Sony game dealer - has set date for game to arrive (24 September 2010). Time will tell :p

http://www.play.com/...-5/Product.html

#165 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 1,582 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:54

I don't want to shake up too optimistic hopes, but play.com - important Sony game dealer - has set date for game to arrive (24 September 2010). Time will tell :p

http://www.play.com/...-5/Product.html

Not sure how good that is, they've had several release days spanning a couple of years so far.

Steve.

#166 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,212 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:06

Never trust release dates from a retailer. No matter how reliable they seem. (At least not when it comes to GT5).

#167 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 19:55

Some frustrated fans has made this hilarious Hitler video (from movie Downfall) about GT5 getting delayed.

That is the single most hilarious thing I've seen on youtube.

#168 baddog

baddog

• 23,450 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:44

I should not in any way trust them any more, and I should be so tired of waiting that I should have bought a 360 and forza or something. But I will still get the fanciest special edition available, on release day, and buy a wheel to play it with. Too much fun with the games in the past I guess, OR I have stockholm syndrome ;)

#169 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:28

Interesting that there will be a free up-grade to 3D for the PS3, but initially for games only, not Blu-ray discs. Not that I use mine for films anymore, but initially it was useful.

#170 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:11

I don't even know if I'm interested in this game anymore, the race course list isn't even that great and I honestly can't tell what's so different compared to GT5 prologue, graphically or physics or anything, yet they keep hyping on how its totally different, I don't get it, what am I not seeing?

All it seems like is more cars and tracks, why not just release DLC for prologue that lets you upgrade it to full GT5 once it comes out, for those that have bought prologue.

#171 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 22:14

Infact this graphics, physics, online and content have all been upgraded. With added damage, GT mode and lots of other features.

It won't be anything like prologue apart from the menus.

#172 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 14:49

Graphics look very similar to me, I played that GT Academy thing... the car didn't feel much different. Maybe things felt a little more responsive. Online I'm not really interested in anyway as it's always full of idiots. Havings lots of cars is nice, but how many of them are going to be Nissan Skyline's and all sorts of boring Japanese cars (they get boring after the hundreth variation)

Damage is something I'll give to GT5, although it's not much and its only for certain cars. I dunno, considering the amount of time and delays and how the devs really talk about how amazing this game is, I just can't see it. I don't understand what's so extremely fundamentally different from Prologue which was released years ago. It just seems like Polyphony are talking BS

#173 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 19:42

Infact this graphics, physics, online and content have all been upgraded. With added damage, GT mode and lots of other features.

It won't be anything like prologue apart from the menus.

Based on what? computer rendered trailers?

#174 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:20

Based on what? computer rendered trailers?

How about the demo that came out at Christmas time :wave:

Having played with a wheel on both Prologue and the Demo, the difference was massive. It felt massively more like a PC sim then anything. Much more consistent force feedback.

The only thing thats holding the game back now is the 3d integration and thats not Polyphony's fault. That was a request from Sony early this year before the release date.

#175 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,999 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:16

The only thing thats holding the game back now is the 3d integration and thats not Polyphony's fault. That was a request from Sony early this year before the release date.

Then in that case, release the thing already, 3D is no use to me, gives me a blinding headache after 20 minutes, along with 15% of the population.

#176 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 14:15

Then in that case, release the thing already, 3D is no use to me, gives me a blinding headache after 20 minutes, along with 15% of the population.

Yes I know, but the problem is, the way in which Sony want it done, its a massive task.

#177 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 17:38

How about the demo that came out at Christmas time :wave:

Having played with a wheel on both Prologue and the Demo, the difference was massive. It felt massively more like a PC sim then anything. Much more consistent force feedback.

How can you compare physics between car and track models that didn't exist in previous versions?

3D, please. Gimmick.

Why people fanboy about non-existent products is beyond me.

Edited by Villes Gilleneuve, 17 May 2010 - 17:39.

#178 klyster

klyster

• 4,327 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 23:33

I tried a Sony 3d TV the other day, it was pretty cool, but there's the hertz flicker still going on........

#179 MikeJuk

MikeJuk

• 84 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 17:10

I was one of those who wasn't knocked out by the graphics in GT5 prologue, the lack of Anti Aliasing (reducing the jaggies and pixelation) was sorely lacking when watching on a hi def TV. As a big and long time fan of the GT series I'm really hoping that this is one of the things they work out before final release if they ever get round to actually releasing it at all. While I appreciate that they are pushing the boundaries of what the PS3 can do I can't help but think they should have released it last year and then an updated version in early 2011.

Advertisement

#180 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 20:16

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#181 MikeJuk

MikeJuk

• 84 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 21:07

#182 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,486 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 21:13

Yes I know, but the problem is, the way in which Sony want it done, its a massive task.

No its not, it's just ANOTHER thing to add to the to-do list.

#183 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:38

How can you compare physics between car and track models that didn't exist in previous versions?

3D, please. Gimmick.

Why people fanboy about non-existent products is beyond me.

:drunk: How about you buy a steering wheel and find out for yourself. Then you might actually understand. You see there's this thing called force feedback. And it completely changes the way a car feels and drives on a simulators. And when you drive nearly every PC and Playstation racing game like I do, you start to understand a good product or a rubbish one. Prologue had a tendency to be quite erratic with its force feedback but the demo was smooth and reacted the way in which you'd expect the top PC sims would.

Btw How is Forza doing for you??? You know that supposedly superior game that still hasn't sold more then Prologue :lol:

Or did your XBOX break already :lol:

I don't agree with 3D integration, but its just another thing that puts it in a massive list ahead of the like of Forza with their average graphics and laughable physics.

Edited by marchi-91, 10 June 2010 - 01:42.

#184 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,511 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:44

Sigh...

Please people stop trolling and getting sparks for console wars...

#185 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,179 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:57

Btw How is Forza doing for you??? You know that supposedly superior game that still hasn't sold more then Prologue :lol:

sorry just cant leave a comment like that unanswered :drunk:

it's sold more because firstly it's cheaper! secondly it's been out a lot longer haha

i have both, and there's a clear winner in every department.

#186 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,212 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:10

:drunk: How about you buy a steering wheel and find out for yourself. Then you might actually understand. You see there's this thing called force feedback. And it completely changes the way a car feels and drives on a simulators. And when you drive nearly every PC and Playstation racing game like I do, you start to understand a good product or a rubbish one. Prologue had a tendency to be quite erratic with its force feedback but the demo was smooth and reacted the way in which you'd expect the top PC sims would.

I don't agree with 3D integration, but its just another thing that puts it in a massive list ahead of the like of Forza with their average graphics and laughable physics.

A couple of comments on this, marchi:

- I agree, it was obvious that GT5:TT had an updated and a more sophisticated physics model compared to GT5:P. One doesn't need to drive the exact same car to understand the complexity of suspension compression, grip, lateral forces, slip angles and the track surface and how they were all interacting together. The cars in TT behaved more what you would expect a car to do when you approached it's limits in certain circumstances. But you do realize speaking about a game's physics modeling and the game's force-feedback have nothing to do with each other...

- Villes is an instigator and I'm not sure what to make of him, whether he's just provoking to get a reaction or he really believes what he says. But most of his posts are factually incorrect and I've given up arguing with him long ago. His post above I actually found rather amusing. Although (I hope) he will be proven wrong, once again, in about a week. That said, I've never seen him post anything to indicate he's an Xbox or Forza fan boy. If anything, his point is the lack of 'true' racing sims on either console. And in this he's somewhat correct. You're making yourself look rather silly.

#187 David1976

David1976

• 837 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:45

I am completely frstrated by delay after delay with GT5.

I have friends that have defected to the XBox because they are tired of waiting. Sadly, with no official date in sight for GT5, I may join the club...

My friend indicated that there are problems with track licencing which is a reason why GT5 is continually being delayed. I dont know how true that is?

#188 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,212 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 13:31

Guys, E3 is next week. It's well known that PD & GT5 will have a strong presence. I'm 100% convinced that by this time next week, we'll know when GT5 will be released. After the March fiasco, Sony knows they have to get it right this time.

#189 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 13:36

I am completely frstrated by delay after delay with GT5.

I have friends that have defected to the XBox because they are tired of waiting. Sadly, with no official date in sight for GT5, I may join the club...

My friend indicated that there are problems with track licencing which is a reason why GT5 is continually being delayed. I dont know how true that is?

I highly doubt there would be an issue with track licensing. It would be the first thing set in stone given the incredible amount of time it takes to make each track.

I've been told by a sony developer that the two reasons for the delay from March were.

1. Massive amount of Sony backed games all at once would bottle neck sales.
2. 3d Integration and with that, making it work at 1080p and 60FPS and launch either alongside Sony's global release of 3DTV 'read not unveiling' or within a 3 month time frame from release.

The later is a massive request that needed an incredible amount of work to polish and make to look as good as PD games usually do. I've been informed that the game in 3d mode may drop down to 50 FPS, still 20 more then most console racers however this option can be turned off.

At Brandz 07, cost has very little to do with sales. Race Driver grid has been at the same price of Prologue for well over a year now and is still failing to reach the same mark. You'll also find that an incredible amount of gamers are waiting for a fully fledged version of GT5 before buying not only a game, but also a console. This is one of the reasons behind point number 1 for the delay. GT is a console seller. After Mario, Zelda and Pokemon, its the single biggest selling console exclusive title ever with only 8 titles compared to the 20+ for the other 3.

The game is quite simply mammoth.

Edited by marchi-91, 10 June 2010 - 13:38.

#190 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:13

I actually own a PS3, and a full wheel and pedals setup for sims on a PC, for GPL.

I wouldn't make sense to make jokes about Gran Neverismo 5 if I didn't own a PS3.

I'm sure your mommy will buy you a nice 3D tv for the basement to enjoy well into your 30s, but it may surprise you that PC sim racing enthusiasts are divided on whether force feedback does anything at all for gaming.

Anyway, I don't want to take time away from your searching for GT5 release dates.

#191 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 17:17

- Villes is an instigator and I'm not sure what to make of him, whether he's just provoking to get a reaction or he really believes what he says. But most of his posts are factually incorrect and I've given up arguing with him long ago. His post above I actually found rather amusing. Although (I hope) he will be proven wrong, once again, in about a week. That said, I've never seen him post anything to indicate he's an Xbox or Forza fan boy. If anything, his point is the lack of 'true' racing sims on either console. And in this he's somewhat correct. You're making yourself look rather silly.

You're the guy who was touting the March 2010 release date for GT5. How's that working out for you?

Marchi is just typical. This is why there are poor quality games on consoles, because the developers need to market to kids who think they can master a racing car by throwing them into 90 degree corners at 150 km/hr. These guys spent their parent's money on demos, and tenaciously hold onto systems for years with no real racing games (F1 games haven't been updated in 4 years).

Thus, we end up with more crappy games, in 3D, or whatever. The era of high quality racing games ended in 1998, when sim sales failed.

It's been entirely frustrating since the PS3 has rendering capabilities far beyond most PCs, at a fraction of the cost. GT5 was supposed to be an entry game for the PS3, but it is more likely to appear with the PS4. PC gaming is a PITA because it's a never-ending battle with patches, and waiting for patches.

And finally, maybe it's because I've seen this before. Want to see an awesome sim?:

http://www.racing-legends.com/news.htm

Fanboys were defending this thing for YEARS ..it never happened. But the stupid website is still up.

Edited by Villes Gilleneuve, 11 June 2010 - 17:30.

#192 klyster

klyster

• 4,327 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:39

It's been entirely frustrating since the PS3 has rendering capabilities far beyond most PCs, at a fraction of the cost.

That's not entirely true, the current range of graphics cards alone, have more processing power than either console or PC CPU have, light years ahead actually.
http://fah-web.stanf...y?qtype=osstats

You're quite right about the cost though.

But you can upgrade your PC, not so the PS3.

#193 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,212 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:39

You're the guy who was touting the March 2010 release date for GT5. How's that working out for you?

Marchi is just typical. This is why there are poor quality games on consoles, because the developers need to market to kids who think they can master a racing car by throwing them into 90 degree corners at 150 km/hr.

:lol: Not too well, obviously. But I wasn't touting March 2010--Sony was. Although I should point out, it was the ONLY time this game has actually been 'delayed' that we know of. Other than March of this year, neither Sony nor PD ever specifically talked about a release date. It's obvious the game has been in development far longer than anybody would have imagined back when the PS3 was released. But it's hardly vaporware like racing-legends was. Prologue and GT5:TT alone should tell you this. As I said, we'll know more from E3 next week. And I don't expect Sony to delay it twice in one year. I'm guessing it will be out in the Fall but we'll see.

There is no question that Arcade style racing games outsell sim style games (GT excluded). And I think this is true both on game consoles and on PCs. It's all about return on investment for developers. If it's going to cost them untold millions to develop a sophisticated physics engine and play system, they want to make sure they're going to recoup their costs. Just look at Supercar Challenge for the PS3. It's by far, the best racing sim currently available for a game console. But nobody's ever heard of it. And most people who try it, sell it immediately. It doesn't bode well for the future of the genre.

#194 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:45

Marchi is just typical. This is why there are poor quality games on consoles, because the developers need to market to kids who think they can master a racing car by throwing them into 90 degree corners at 150 km/hr. These guys spent their parent's money on demos, and tenaciously hold onto systems for years with no real racing games (F1 games haven't been updated in 4 years).

Thus, we end up with more crappy games, in 3D, or whatever. The era of high quality racing games ended in 1998, when sim sales failed.

It's been entirely frustrating since the PS3 has rendering capabilities far beyond most PCs, at a fraction of the cost. GT5 was supposed to be an entry game for the PS3, but it is more likely to appear with the PS4. PC gaming is a PITA because it's a never-ending battle with patches, and waiting for patches.

And finally, maybe it's because I've seen this before. Want to see an awesome sim?:

http://www.racing-legends.com/news.htm

Fanboys were defending this thing for YEARS ..it never happened. But the stupid website is still up.

Ahh yes, because you've played I-racing, R factor and the like :rotfl: These are the same guys that have been there for decades now doing the PC sims. Most of them that crap all over GPL in terms of physics and realism given that its a 12 year old game, but you keep living in your delusional world where games haven't advanced since 1998. Prologue was hardly an arcade type game. GT4 maybe, but the data being inputted into games now, make them far more true to real life then anything before hand. GPL was and still is an astonishing game, but the reality is, games have moved on and those going for the sim feel, are outselling the biggest names in the video game industry.

And your comment about enthusiasts being divided about force feedback is absolute crap. You talk about me being a child playing games, you don't seem to know much about driving a real car and the actual forces that are placed through a steering wheel. Hence the reason force feedback was implemented into wheels :stoned: They give you the feel of a road, in a simulated guise to that of real life.

Edited by marchi-91, 12 June 2010 - 08:23.

#195 jee

jee

• 718 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:30

Race Driver 3 from 2006 is still the best game for online races on Sony consoles, though the PS3 is out for 3.5 years now. There isn't even a single game that features pit stops, tyre degration or fuel consumption. Games were made more and more for casual gamers since then.

#196 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,511 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:57

There isn't even a single game that features pit stops, tyre degration or fuel consumption.

F1 Championship Edition, no?

#197 Alan Boiston

Alan Boiston

• 34 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 14:26

New trailer shown in the US last night, details here http://www.vvvgamer....read.php?t=8598

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Alan Boiston, 12 June 2010 - 14:26.

#198 jee

jee

• 718 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 21:57

F1 Championship Edition, no?

Was talking about online ;)

#199 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,212 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 20:41

...November 2nd. ;)

Advertisement

#200 Alan Boiston

Alan Boiston

• 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 22:36

Gran Turismo 5 is coming :D

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Alan Boiston, 16 June 2010 - 00:16.