* * * * - 6 votes

Gran Turismo 5

• Please log in to reply
1335 replies to this topic

#401 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,555 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:29

Is that with amazon? I was told Nov 24, but they are sometimes early, rarely late.

I got the new Assassin's Creed a day early :p

Haven't pre-ordered this due to trying to having to buy 'necessities' like food (and Assassin's Creed :p), but should have enough to go and get it on release day.

Advertisement

#402 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,996 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 15:49

Is that with amazon? I was told Nov 24, but they are sometimes early, rarely late.

My pre-order is with Amazon.co.uk, and I got an email today saying it had been shipped this morning, 1st class Royal Mail.

I've got my fingers crossed for delivery tomorrow.

EDIT: Just to say the only other thing I pre-ordered from Amazon (a book) came a day early.

Edited by Youichi, 22 November 2010 - 15:50.

#403 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 16:28

my amazon dispatch email came i this morning too :)

#404 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 17:05

Game, they got F12010 to me two days before release so hopefully similar with GT5

#405 pRy

pRy

• 10,877 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 17:31

GT5 is £4.99 at HMV if you trade in F12010. Offer only lasts for 3 days after release.

http://www.t3.com/ne...9-at-hmv?=51027

#406 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,215 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:51

Assassin's creed came early for me too, and my GT5 is on the way already!!

#407 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,555 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 13:23

So what's everyone's dream car within the game then?

I personally can't wait to drive the new McLaren, and compare it with the SLS and 458 Italia...

#408 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,996 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 13:25

Mine's arrived :clap:

Shame I won't be home till 6pm :mad:

Edited by Youichi, 23 November 2010 - 13:25.

#409 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 14:05

My postman appears to have gone AWOL today, no post at all yet and there's more than one thing I know should be here today...

#410 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,555 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 14:34

My postman appears to have gone AWOL today, no post at all yet and there's more than one thing I know should be here today...

He's playing it at home :p

#411 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 14:55

mines sat next to me, from amazon came in the post this morning. Not played it yet am working.

it also takes an hour to install apparently, so I'll get that underway shortly!

#412 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 14:58

He's playing it at home :p

Better not have the tickets for the gig I'm going to with him as well :mad:

Edit: well those have now arrived.

Edited by wewantourdarbyback, 23 November 2010 - 15:01.

#413 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 16:40

Just got home to find mine on the doormat! Thank you amazon...

#414 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,215 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 17:41

I must have the same postie as you ):

#415 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 19:37

Any GT6 HD trailers yet?

#416 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 20:08

Any GT6 HD trailers yet?

Desperately trying to find something to say other than 'GT5 will never be released' I see.

#417 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,305 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 20:11

Desperately trying to find something to say other than 'GT5 will never be released' I see.

:lol:

So, first impressions guys?! It wasn't in HMV on my way home. Might get it tomorrow or at the weekend.

#418 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 21:08

So, first impressions guys?!

Not going to tell you.

#419 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 21:22

So it's finally released. Can't wait to get home and use the "B spec" mode.

I cannot believe they kept in this part of GT4, officially the dumbest idea in racing games. It's like racing for mentally handicapped.

Photo mode, photo travel mode, fake cars..sigh. Let's take pictures of shiny cars all night, Zowie.

Can't wait to take this bad boy on the 'ring

Posted Image

Worth the wait.

BTW.. Jeuxvideo gave it a whopping 14/20. Calls the game "incomplete".

Even GT Planet comments are quite meh.

Advertisement

#420 FranDaMan

FranDaMan

• 641 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 22:07

Can someone clear something up for me?

Is there a 'professional' and a 'standard' version?

If so, does the 'professional' come with more cars? Because looking in the game today, I look to have been short changed. Wasn't the Veyron supposed to be in there and that crazy Red Bull fantasy car?

Overall impressions of the driving are good. The menu however is :mad:

EDIT: Just spent an hour belting round Circuit de la Sarthe in the Lambo. Overall impressions of the driving are now F*%$IN AWESOME

Edited by FranDaMan, 24 November 2010 - 22:58.

#421 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,555 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 22:12

Can someone clear something up for me?

Is there a 'professional' and a 'standard' version?

If so, does the 'professional' come with more cars? Because looking in the game today, I look to have been short changed. Wasn't the Veyron supposed to be in there and that crazy Red Bull fantasy car?

Overall impressions of the driving are good. The menu however is :mad:

I think they are the sort of prize cars that aren't in the regular dealerships.

#422 D-man

D-man

• 264 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 22:47

So it's finally released. Can't wait to get home and use the "B spec" mode.

I cannot believe they kept in this part of GT4, officially the dumbest idea in racing games. It's like racing for mentally handicapped.

Photo mode, photo travel mode, fake cars..sigh. Let's take pictures of shiny cars all night, Zowie.

Posted Image

Worth the wait.

BTW.. Jeuxvideo gave it a whopping 14/20. Calls the game "incomplete".

Even GT Planet comments are quite meh.

Everything sucks if you only look at the negative....

#423 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 23:25

Been waiting ages for this to come out. But I've just got COD. Christmas, bills, football tickets, beer etc etc. Which more than likely means I'll get it tomorrow. As I can't coontrol my spending :rotfl:

I might swap F1 for it. As i haven't played that since the FIFA came out. The get it again cheap somewhere next year or something???? Hmmm

#424 slideways

slideways

• 3,249 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:39

Picked up a copy on way home, about to set up the G27. I shall report back.

#425 slideways

slideways

• 3,249 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:16

133mb patch. :)

#426 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,996 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:41

Played it for 5 hours when I got home last night, and its marvelous, I was actually squealing with Glee at one point, my wife came in to laugh at me. :clap:

I bought a Cappuccino as my first car, as I drive one in real life, and the interior is so detailed that they even have the roof release catch between the seats :up:

I won my first race, in the Sunday cup, which was nice ! :) After a few tries won the other Sunday Cup races, and won a car, then did the National-B license tests, along the way I picked up a free Kart, so played the Karting in special events, the 'two-stroke' smoke out of the exhausts is great.

Played the first two tests in "Jeff Gordon's NASCAR challenge", both were drafting at daytona, the NASCAR cars are beasts, I passed Juan-Pablo Montoya ! (Paging OLB) !

Tried the beginers level of the AMG drivers course, these are on the full Nurburgring in an old Mercedes, there are 6 tests, and the 6th is a full lap in a specific time, shades of one of the license tests from GT4, I expect that will be tough.

Posted Image

When you unlock the TopGear test track, the first race on it, is between 12 of those, I was laughing out loud, its like the worlds slowest race :rotfl: and the interior view has three rows of seats, and the little windows in the roof :)

I picked up various 'prizes' for unlocking various things, like museum tokens, horn vouchers, and paint colours, not sure what they are all for yet.

Just before I went to bed, I installed the patch, it was trying to connect to the online servers, but failing, I guess as it wasn't the 24th yet :) But when I turned off the wireless, it played perfectly without the online sections, so Sony having Launch server troubles won't stop you playing. (If they do).

I REALLY want a wheel now, my Cappuccino handles so realisticly, I can feel the limitations of the controller, I hope Santa is kind to me.

Eight more hours at work, till I can be home playing :mad:

#427 klyster

klyster

• 4,300 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:33

What happened to all the shine and glitz?

#428 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,555 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 18:27

Got my copy today!! Very impressed... handling is superb!

Little problems:

- Lewis Hamilton's name is spelt wrong in the Ferrari F2007 description (Louis Hamilton)
- I can't get the hang of the Elise in the second Top Gear level. Will not go through the first corner without spinning.

#429 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 21:02

absolutley love it. Ive a Mk1 Golf GTi thats now pretty well tuned, just fitted a LSD, now I can start increasing the power.

Im waiting for the Lotus Carlton to pop up in the used car lot though, thats the car I love.

One odd thing, I cant see an option to upgrade the brakes at all! Very strange omission!

#430 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,215 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 21:10

still waiting for the spy "patch" to download... I had a "1.01" with assassin's creed the other day too :mad: . I just want to play the game!

#431 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,305 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 21:30

http://direct.tesco....R.210-9291.aspx

A ridiculously good deal, 320gb! Think it's the collectors edition GT5 too. GF gets 10% off at tesco too!

If not this one is for extra £5 http://www.play.com/...1853|prd:70594#

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 24 November 2010 - 21:31.

#432 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,317 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 22:22

- Lewis Hamilton's name is spelt wrong in the Ferrari F2007 description (Louis Hamilton)

no mistake there, its his evil twin!

Posted Image

#433 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 22:43

Bloody forgot to take F1 to swap. I'll do it tomorrow.

#434 FranDaMan

FranDaMan

• 641 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 22:55

http://direct.tesco....R.210-9291.aspx

A ridiculously good deal, 320gb! Think it's the collectors edition GT5 too. GF gets 10% off at tesco too!

If not this one is for extra £5 http://www.play.com/...1853|prd:70594#

Does the 'Collector's Edition' feature more cars? Still wondering where that Red Bull is.

GT4 had plenty of cars which could only be won as prizes, but they were all visible in the 'dealer' screen.....

#435 baddog

baddog

• 23,367 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 23:36

You think they put enough stuff in the box?

Posted Image

#436 pliskinrob

pliskinrob

• 71 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:26

rage'd

plus the F10 article says how they incorporated the Mclaren F-Duct - while it is missing on the car!

#437 slideways

slideways

• 3,249 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:54

But unsold on the physics to be honest. I think they are OK, but the tracks feel like they are all 100% fresh tarmac with a flat spirit level, and the feedback to the G27 was not really there. Have only played a few races. One thing they got right with the wheel was the way the degrees of rotation and the spring strength etc felt a bit different for each car.

#438 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,800 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:05

Have to ask - Is GT5 a real driving simulator? I'm used to rFactor - I wonder if it's a bit arcade'ish compared to that.

#439 pliskinrob

pliskinrob

• 71 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:39

The G25/G27 aren't actually supported by the game officially (which is very stupid). It emulates the lesser Driving Force GT, probably the reason why it feels lackluster in response.

Advertisement

#440 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,555 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:15

Best car I've driven so far has to be the 300SL Merc on the AMG Driving Academy event. It was so drivable, and went in and out of corners sweet as anything!

Have also really enjoyed the NASCAR's, Daytona is easy (apart from the bumps) but Indy is a lot more challenging, haven't quiet got the entry lines correct yet.

Won a Maserati GT and tried it on Trial Mountain FR Challenge... God it was tail-happy! It really didn't like the crests or slow corners. It was the most difficult car I've driven yet apart from the bloody Elise on the Top Gear track!! At least the Maserati was manageable...

Also have a GTR Godzilla now! In 'Super Black' with black wheels, 620 bhp and aero kit... first drive had chronic understeer, did a bit of tuning and fettling, managed to fix it, also set the 4wd to 20-80 to help. It's still not turning in great, but it's a lot more responsive.

That's a big difference from F12010, where the setups don't really affect your feeling and response, just more in the lap time. In GT5, you get wildly different results if you go a different way on setup, which is frustrating at first but very rewarding when you get a car to your liking.

#441 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:07

Best car I've driven so far has to be the 300SL Merc on the AMG Driving Academy event. It was so drivable, and went in and out of corners sweet as anything!

Have also really enjoyed the NASCAR's, Daytona is easy (apart from the bumps) but Indy is a lot more challenging, haven't quiet got the entry lines correct yet.

Won a Maserati GT and tried it on Trial Mountain FR Challenge... God it was tail-happy! It really didn't like the crests or slow corners. It was the most difficult car I've driven yet apart from the bloody Elise on the Top Gear track!! At least the Maserati was manageable...

Also have a GTR Godzilla now! In 'Super Black' with black wheels, 620 bhp and aero kit... first drive had chronic understeer, did a bit of tuning and fettling, managed to fix it, also set the 4wd to 20-80 to help. It's still not turning in great, but it's a lot more responsive.

That's a big difference from F12010, where the setups don't really affect your feeling and response, just more in the lap time. In GT5, you get wildly different results if you go a different way on setup, which is frustrating at first but very rewarding when you get a car to your liking.

LOL the Elise on TG test track is a nightmare isnt it. I cant find the TG track for practice yet though? Also the camper van race on the TG test track. I'd rather attack my nuts with a rusty cheese grater than do that! I had one attempt, thought WTF and quit!

I absolutley love this game, I think since GT4 I have done a lot of the mods in there to my own car so have a far better understading of how they work (Rollcages, diffs, suspension toe/camber etc etc) and how they change a car. GT5 seems to very acuratly reflect that.

The merc at Nurburgring is a good'un. Suspensions a little soft but I agree its fun, Im working my way through that special event and really enjoying it.

#442 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,555 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:24

LOL the Elise on TG test track is a nightmare isnt it. I cant find the TG track for practice yet though? Also the camper van race on the TG test track. I'd rather attack my nuts with a rusty cheese grater than do that! I had one attempt, thought WTF and quit!

I absolutley love this game, I think since GT4 I have done a lot of the mods in there to my own car so have a far better understading of how they work (Rollcages, diffs, suspension toe/camber etc etc) and how they change a car. GT5 seems to very acuratly reflect that.

The merc at Nurburgring is a good'un. Suspensions a little soft but I agree its fun, Im working my way through that special event and really enjoying it.

I'm glad it's not just me with the TG track and those Lotus cars! The camper van race took me a while because for some reason it kept DQ'ing me for the second to last corner (I swear I only brushed the grass on the inside), and because the vans are so slow it was frustrating to have to go through it all again. Finally won though after leaving it for other things for a few hours. I haven't had a look to see if I've unlocked it yet for practice...

I like how soft the 300SL is, it seems to waft from corner to corner!

Playing this with a wheel is like getting into the whole series for the first time again... I don't think I could play this with a pad without getting bored thinking it's just the same as GT4...

I wonder once I get to the longer races if the tracks rubber in over the course of the race? Does anyone know about this?

#443 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:28

might get my steering wheel out later then. I hardly use it, to lazy and nothing to mount it too though!

#444 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,555 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:42

might get my steering wheel out later then. I hardly use it, to lazy and nothing to mount it too though!

I have a makeshift seat and mount made out of:

- Cushions and blankets propped up by the bottom section of the couch
- cheap ikea table that rather fortunately is the perfect height when sat on the makeshift seat.
- Pedals angled to fit on the front of the tv stand, that conveniently is a good distance (not perfect, feet can hurt after a while and have to stop playing) from the rest.

If I had a bigger living room I'd be screwed!!

Only thing needed really is a bigger tv, only have a 19' right now... it's not an issue as I'm quite close to it anyway, but a larger tv would mean I could see more of the car and area around it... plus the scale of me to the car on-screen would be better too.

Also want to get the Ferrari F10, so I can compare it to the Codemasters version!!

Edited by DanardiF1, 25 November 2010 - 11:44.

#445 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 319 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:31

I have a makeshift seat and mount made out of:

- Cushions and blankets propped up by the bottom section of the couch
- cheap ikea table that rather fortunately is the perfect height when sat on the makeshift seat.
- Pedals angled to fit on the front of the tv stand, that conveniently is a good distance (not perfect, feet can hurt after a while and have to stop playing) from the rest.

If I had a bigger living room I'd be screwed!!

Only thing needed really is a bigger tv, only have a 19' right now... it's not an issue as I'm quite close to it anyway, but a larger tv would mean I could see more of the car and area around it... plus the scale of me to the car on-screen would be better too.

Also want to get the Ferrari F10, so I can compare it to the Codemasters version!!

I got this "http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e1fc61ff5bce67"

and it works brilliantly!

I paid £15 direct from Tesco's but they appear to have doubled the price, so ebay is a better bet...

#446 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,555 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:40

I got this "http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e1fc61ff5bce67"

and it works brilliantly!

I paid £15 direct from Tesco's but they appear to have doubled the price, so ebay is a better bet...

Cool, that's handy for both wheel AND laptop :p

Might look into that...

#447 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 14:56

All I can do is take the door of my wardrobe, stack of boxes either side of my chair and lay the door accross that. Then theres the pedals to work out, and I cant get a natural feeling for them so gave up.

#448 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 8,167 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 15:29

If i can't get the damn menu music off I'm going to throw it away!! ):

I'm being jazz-funked to death!! :eek: :evil:

Menu interface is a bit user unfriendly too! :well:

#449 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 18:02

menu music is as ever very quirky, but the some of the songs included are really really good. Band of Skulls are one of my favourites!

#450 baddog

baddog

• 23,367 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 18:44

It took me about 45 seconds to turn off ALL music. its in the hardware/audio menu