• 3,623 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:59

Found , thank you.

#53 norton_mk2a

norton_mk2a

• 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:20

Bjorn

I cant find any pictures at the moment but Tom Van Heughten? the Dutch World sidecar MX champ in the early 80's used to have a very nice modified coach for transporting his Yamaha outfits. May have been 83 or 84?

The rest of the padock had Merc 608 trucks i seem to remember, good but not quick!

#54 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 20:47

Sorry , a bit late reply , but thanks for trying !

#55 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 20:49

Through the post 41 link I found some nice transporters , but no for Norton in the early 50's . Any help or links ,please?

#56 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 20:49

Through the post 41 link I found some nice transporters , but no for Norton in the early 50's . Any help or links ,please?

#57 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 1,969 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:38

Posted Image

Thanks for the courtesy of the copyright holder

#58 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:12

Thanks for waking me up!

#59 rotrax

rotrax

• 176 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:46

Hi all, having been very active on the car transporter thread , I thought it was time to bring on a topic on transports here too. Knowing that MC in earlier times did not need the big ones , it might here be more on vans etc. Unless perhaps someone know of the big Italians in the 50's. Perhaps paddock pictures could find a way here too ? Or their own thread ?

Hi Bjorn, I started with a sidecar float .Me and my mate Dave Church got it from Pride and Clark's when they got a van to deliver the bikes. We fitted it to a spring hub Thunderbird and used it in our part time bike breaking business, as well as me using it to carry my R.E.350 scrambler and then my Velo grass tracker. I talked my then girlfreind-now wife- into getting an ex G.P.O. Morris Minor van as I managed to get banned for ripping over Chelsea Bridge to fast! She carried me and the bikes around-what a star. I remember being at the 1966 T.T. and seeing the M.Z. Works team vans. They must have beem using the D.K.W./Wartburg 3 cylinder two strokes, they went like stink and sounded lovely. The exhaust systems used the then current expansion chamber technology and the lube oil was what went in the bikes. I was at a Slovak "Zlata Prilba"-Golden helmet-Speedway at Zarnovica. The Russian riders turned up in a battered coach. Down the centre, running front to back was a rail, about fout feet off the floor.By taking the front wheels out the whole teams bikes could be hung with the rail between the forks and the frame, including spare bikes. It could take about 12. The riders had plenty of space including sleeping bunks. Victor Troffimov jnr. told me it was because of the vast distances that were needed to be covered in the Russian speedway season, and the need for the spooks to keep an eye on the riders when they went abroard. How times have changed-even Junior Moto X and speedway riders have several bikes and fantastic transporters these days. In Sport, Rotrax.

Advertisement

#60 jap4b

jap4b

• 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 15:47

Here is photo of Jarno Saarinen original trailer.
http://www.picasaweb...682051169221858

http://www.picasaweb...682045177337746

#61 Croz

Croz

• 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:42

Hi,

Found this: http://www.flickr.co...tmcq/446700916/

#62 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 16:50

I have no photo of my Moggie Thou 'Race transporter/Motor home' or of my Ford Thames three speed hi-diff intergalatic roamer. But compared with Laurie Sadlers four wheeled handcart they were bloody luxury.

I've seen bikes transported in 'Puddlejumpers' (Reliant Robins), Mini saloons etc.

We had two bikes (a Greeves Silverstone and a Greeves Oulton, a record on their own), all the racing gear, vitals for a weekend (fourteen crates of brown ale and a bacon sandwich) two twenty five litre cans of petrol, oil etc and two of us (my co-weekender and racing friend, slid between the bikes in the back, chain smoking) as we set off for Lydden Hill.

If anyone remembers Laurie and his SAAB powered racer they will remember him transporting the bike to Brands in the handcart.

Eat yer heart out Ponderosa you ain't got a F***kin* clue. :smoking:

#63 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,484 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 21:55

agreed , Tony , I posted a feature on Laurie , from one of the comics a couple of years ago , a hero , IMHO :up: :up:

#64 greg1953

greg1953

• 346 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 13:33

I had the usual pile of crap Transit , v4 petrol engine, it would do about 18 mpg, drum brakes all round and once hit 75mph down Houghton Cut ( Northerners will know where that is ).It broke down everywhere and I 've lost count of the amount of races I didn't get to because we were stuck on the roadside somewhere.
I lived on a hill in those days and once when changeing an engine in the street we dropped it, it rolled down the hill shedding bits as it went until it collided with the rear of a mk.3 Cortina, flattening the exhaust outlet.
We fitted an old coach seat in the back and wedged the bike between the side and the seat, occasionally a second bike could be fitted if we took the wheels off.
Some of the Croft regulars had some fairly special Trannys, if you fitted the bulbous diesel front the Granada 3000 v6 would go in and I remember a lad who'se name I can't recall had a Tranny with a straight six Jag engine, apparently you had to fit the diff from a Capri if you did any of these mods.
I moved home recently and rented a brand new diesel Tranny, it went like the clappers and didn't break down once, mind you , it drank diesel like it had shares in Shell/BP but I wish I'd had it when I was racing.
Greg

#65 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 885 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 18:24

When I were a lad (yawn,yawn) Used to go up to Darley.Two race transporters stuck in my mind.Stan Lawleys Reliant Regal van,with Honda CR110 inside,and his 125 Bulty trundling along on its back wheel attached to the van with a dummy spindle arrangement.The other was the great Barry Scully's coach,with electric hoist used to lift and lower his fabulous Trident racer out of the side.

HW

#66 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 20:25

A good assortment of race vehicles here including what looks like a gang of pikeys with an old bit of carpet covering their bikes!? This photo was on the original giant thread many years a go but has been deleted since so good excuse to re post it, couple of forum members just about in shot here too!

Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

Edited by picblanc, 18 June 2011 - 20:26.

#67 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 20:34

This one from 1982 of Steve Henshaws Mercedes Benz & TZ.

Posted Image

Edited by picblanc, 18 June 2011 - 20:35.

#68 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 885 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 20:43

Can't be many of the rust buckets in that shot left on the planet now Graham.Probably reincarnated as chinese washing machines :rotfl: :rotfl:

HW

#69 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 885 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 20:45

Can't be many of the rust buckets in that shot left on the planet now Graham.Probably reincarnated as chinese washing machines :rotfl: :rotfl:

HW

One poor soul in the bottom right corner has an HA Viva AND a Greeves silverstone.Ah bless !!

HW

#70 Arthur

Arthur

• 170 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 16:58

A good assortment of race vehicles here including what looks like a gang of pikeys with an old bit of carpet covering their bikes!? This photo was on the original giant thread many years a go but has been deleted since so good excuse to re post it, couple of forum members just about in shot here too!

Posted Image

Looks like a wet Snetterton Paddock at around 1968

#71 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 17:30

Posted Image

My head (just at bottom middle (black and red check mohican, red leathers) and MY red Ford Thames. Just in the distance left of the Dormobile with the raised roof beneath 'Drivers' in Racing Drivers School. :up:

The rest of the 'Pikeys' in the picture -'Never seen 'em in me life before, honest guv' :cool:

Snetterton Circa 1803 - Noahs Ark is out of shot trying to get a head start down the A11. :wave:

Some of those in the photo are half way up the evolutionary tree, others of us got that far up found we were afraid of heights and retreated. :blush:

Edited by tonyed, 19 June 2011 - 17:32.

#72 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 18:06

Snett 1975 Arthur, first race of season.

#73 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 19:43

Snett 1976 & the Reliant & trailer race transporter, John Preston on his Maico 125.

Posted Image

Edited by picblanc, 19 June 2011 - 19:44.

#74 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:45

Snett 1976 & the Reliant & trailer race transporter, John Preston on his Maico 125.

Posted Image

Also Snetterton, but with the tide out this time.

Jeff Webbers 'J W Car Radio' tranny in the back. Jeff was a fine racer who regularly trekked over from his native Cardiff to leave the pints of 'Brain Damage' behind to sample the 'Fine Wares :rotfl: ' of Tolly Cobbold' or 'knats piss' as we knew it. :(

Edited by tonyed, 20 June 2011 - 05:46.

#75 Robin127

Robin127

• 378 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 14:56

One poor soul in the bottom right corner has an HA Viva AND a Greeves silverstone.Ah bless !!

HW

That would be my Dad's old car and my brother Kevin's Greeves :)

#76 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 16:42

Kevin was there that day Robin, the yellow Ducati #35 is Ian Reynolds, centre picture blue & yellow bike is Nev Frost, Trevor Osbourne with blue fared bike just to right of Nev Frost,Blue & Red TZ above Frost is Mick Cook.

#77 tonyed

tonyed

• 478 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 17:00

That would be my Dad's old car and my brother Kevin's Greeves :)

Well ain't the world small. I too had a Viva HA, my Aunt gave it too me and from the same Aunt who paid for my sisters wedding gave me £200 to buy -Yes a Greeves Silverstone.

I did spot that and thought perhaps that isn't my Ford Thames, as it was indeed owned prevoiusly by my mate, Graham Godward.

But I believe (and my failing recollection is hampering me here). I must have had the HA with the Silverstone. I have a photo of me in the back garden at home with my stable of Ariel Arrow racer and Greeves Silverstone. The only thing missing is the team shirts and the HA (which was grey but I don't recollect any fog lights).
However the Greeves had the original Chat Greeves fairing and the Silverstone didn't get a black fairing until after I sold it to Pete Goodwin before buying it back for the 1973 MGP. Must have been stark staring bloody mad. :blush:

Edited by tonyed, 21 June 2011 - 17:25.

#78 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 431 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 22:49

My late mate Eric Hursthouse never passed his car test, he had a Reliant and bike trailer for his 750 Suzuki, He dropped the bike at the Mallory hairpin one wet and miserable meeting, I went and collected his bike for him, when he got away from the medics he said that's it no more racing, but he kept the bike and let Bob Gourlay use it, and Bob had quite a few race wins with it.

#79 Robin127

Robin127

• 378 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 00:58

Kevin was there that day Robin, the yellow Ducati #35 is Ian Reynolds, centre picture blue & yellow bike is Nev Frost, Trevor Osbourne with blue fared bike just to right of Nev Frost,Blue & Red TZ above Frost is Mick Cook.

If that's March 1975 that would have been my first race, I remember us parking against the fence there that day, which was unusual because we normally tried to get over by the petrol pumps. Would that be the JJM Bultaco of Nev Frost? That was a really nice bike.

Advertisement

#80 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:15

Yes this is the first race of the season, that the pic of you at Coram in your red jacket is from the same day. :up:

#81 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:18

No Nev Frost was on a TZ.

#82 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,674 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 23:02

This one from 1982 of Steve Henshaws Mercedes Benz & TZ.

Posted Image

Lovely pic Graham, I remember that Steve's bikes and vehicles were always immaculately turned out.

#83 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:53

Thanks Mick, I seem to recall Mike had something to do with the paint work?

#84 Steve53

Steve53

• 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:58

Hi all, having been very active on the car transporter thread , I thought it was time to bring on a topic on transports here too. Knowing that MC in earlier times did not need the big ones , it might here be more on vans etc. Unless perhaps someone know of the big Italians in the 50's. Perhaps paddock pictures could find a way here too ? Or their own thread ?

Chocolate fish to the first with, who, where when......

Posted Image
By steve53 at 2011-06-23

The fish will come from NZ so you may have to wait a while.....

#85 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:13

Well, it's got to be that famous occasion when the Austrian Grand Prix at Salzburg was snowed off.....or at least , some practice days were ? From memory, 78 or 79 ?

edit : and the fish from NZ won't take too long to get to me ! ;)

edit 2 : make that 1980 ..... and snowed off for good

edit 3 : isn't this the time when Mamola's motorhome went up in flames ? Think I read something like that recently, probably in Croz's book ?

Edited by philippe7, 23 June 2011 - 10:28.

#86 Steve53

Steve53

• 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:53

Well, it's got to be that famous occasion when the Austrian Grand Prix at Salzburg was snowed off.....or at least , some practice days were ? From memory, 78 or 79 ?

edit : and the fish from NZ won't take too long to get to me ! ;)

edit 2 : make that 1980 ..... and snowed off for good

edit 3 : isn't this the time when Mamola's motorhome went up in flames ? Think I read something like that recently, probably in Croz's book ?

Phillipe

I need an address...

Gallina's bus, Salzburgring, 1980
randys motorhome exploded....I remember the occasion quite well....we we all inside the gusthof, or pub, playing this drinking game where you fill a glass boot with beer, big glass boot, and hand it around the table...everyone takes a slug but the trick is to leave enough in the bottom so the guy next to you can't finish it and hands it on the next guy....why? Because you have to by the next round if the guy you hand it to manages to finish the remaining beer in the boot.....just pause and think about it for a moment....we were all very tactical for the first two rounds then its a free for all....quite a night I can tell you ........

We thought the motorhome was hilarious half way through this .....LPG bottle must have been leaking and found the pilot light inside some where

#87 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 18:05

Great photo & story. :up:

#88 billbomann

billbomann

• 80 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:20

1954 Norton van

Posted Image

This from Michelle Duff's photo memories.

Posted Image

#89 billbomann

billbomann

• 80 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:23

The good old days!

Posted Image

#90 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,529 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 17:16

Great photos Bill. :up:

#91 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,484 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 16:54

Recognize the location easily , Jim , although there isn't a lot to see of those corrugated roofs , and very thin supports , wonder when it was dismantled :confused: ??

Isn't it strange how some of these memories stay with you .............. :blush:

#92 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 15:34

http://forums.autosp...w...980&st=1680 (page 43 post 1697)

Another picture of driver modified Jag - GPL Library /Jenkinson Copyright

Thanks guys , many good new interesting ones.

#93 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,026 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 21:12

I moved this over from the 1949 - 1968 thread (hope you don't mind Russ).

Posted Image

#94 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,250 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:44

I moved this over from the 1949 - 1968 thread (hope you don't mind Russ).

Posted Image

No probs, Barry. :up: Is it a Morris or Austin, perhaps could be either?

#95 larryd

larryd

• 654 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:03

Morris-Commercial, I reckon

#96 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,026 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 14:05

Isn't it odd to see "Suzuki" scrawled in the dust on the van, in such an early period?

I lightened the picture a tad, but it's very plain on the original post (page 180/post 7173 of the 1949-1968 thread).

#97 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,250 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 14:07

Isn't it odd to see "Suzuki" scrawled in the dust on the van, in such an early period?

I lightened the picture a tad, but it's very plain on the original post (page 180/post 7173 of the 1949-1968 thread).

Wasn't it about the period when Driver was given the Suzuki rides ?

#98 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,026 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 14:09

Not sure, but that would certainly explain it!

#99 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,250 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 14:13

Not sure, but that would certainly explain it!

Think so, Barry, and he then jacked in riding them as he thought they were too slow. Perhaps not one of his better decisions.

Advertisement

#100 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,674 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 17:55

Think it's an Austin LD, I remember them 'cos all the F1 stock car boys used to scour the scrapyards for them, seems the back axles were perfect for their creations.