Photo

Grand Prix WC 1949-1957

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:55

Looking at the period threads with over 3000 and close to 8000 post I think it is time for a split . I hope here to get pictures and infos ONLY from the GP World Championships , (TT or Road Racing as it also is/was called). I have myself some pictures to show when getting sorted and learn to post or get another one to do it.
This period with the Brits and "Big" Italian names was to me very interesting.

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 16 June 2009 - 05:12.

Advertisement

#2 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:16

Here is a list of most of the machines in this period :

A.J.S. , Norton , Velocette
Gilera , Moto Guzzi ,Benelli , Mondial ,Morini , MV Agusta
D.K.W. , N.S.U , Montesa , C.Z. , B.M.W.

And yes , not all makes competed in all classes in all years. These are mainly the works machines.(with 1 , 2 , 4 and V8 engines)

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 16 June 2009 - 05:25.

#3 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 18:31

Here is a list of most of the machines in this period :

A.J.S. , Norton , Velocette
Gilera , Moto Guzzi ,Benelli , Mondial ,Morini , MV Agusta
D.K.W. , N.S.U , Montesa , C.Z. , B.M.W.

And yes , not all makes competed in all classes in all years. These are mainly the works machines.(with 1 , 2 , 4 and V8 engines)

Triumph, Matchless, Ducati, Bianchi, Rumi, Jawa and Horex also had a run.

#4 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 15:25

From 1952 , Germans were allowed to participate again after WWII restrictions.

#5 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 16:21

The heat of late has prevented me going to work (!!) . But I will eventually post some scans if I find one to help , or rather do it!

I must however say I am rather surprised of the little interest in the World Championships here. I am still looking for complete GP results to get a better overall picture . I am aware that not too many privat riders travelled all around , but on the other thread from 58 to 67 , there was a lot for sure. And while to a lesser degree here results showing f.ex Adlers would bring more variety !

Also from 58 a lot of the British privates especially in the biggest classes did travel a lot , some di score points , but many was just outside the points again and again ! I dearly would like to see more of those.

#6 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 16:56

The heat of late has prevented me going to work (!!) . But I will eventually post some scans if I find one to help , or rather do it!

I must however say I am rather surprised of the little interest in the World Championships here. I am still looking for complete GP results to get a better overall picture . I am aware that not too many privat riders travelled all around , but on the other thread from 58 to 67 , there was a lot for sure. And while to a lesser degree here results showing f.ex Adlers would bring more variety !

Also from 58 a lot of the British privates especially in the biggest classes did travel a lot , some di score points , but many was just outside the points again and again ! I dearly would like to see more of those.

Mainly Brits and Commonwealth riders both before and after ?

#7 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:07

Hi Russell , not quite sure what you mean , but I will try to explain why I look for more or complete results . Take 1957 and I only mention Brit speaking riders. There were 7 races for the WC . I have :

Mcintyre 5 results
Surtees 6
Duke 4
Brett 5
Campbell 6
Dale 3
Brown 2
Shepherd 4

Bryen 4

Hartle 5
Minter 3
Murphy 2
Throw 1
King 1
Hempleman 1

and some others , these above just to mention.

Works through private as far as I know , and I think it would have been really nice to know if they were in the "missing" races

Then of course if you go into the next 10 years there were even more private riders or on tuners bikes !

#8 pppdrive

pppdrive

• 61 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 16:28

Hi Bjorn, I do have a book that lists the first 6 for GP races 1949-1975. It is Grand Prix Motorcycle Championships of the World 1949-1975 (1) by Maurice Bula, published by G T Foulis in the UK. Originally published in French as Les As du Continental Circus by Editions Payot, Lausanne, Switzerland in 1974. (The English version I have is revised and corrected).
The 1957 results are;
GP Germany 1/ L.Liberati Gilera 2/ R.McIntyre Gilera 3/ W.Zeller BMW 4/ D.Dale MotoGuzzi 5/ T.Shepherd MV 6/ E.Hiller BMW
TT IoM 1/ R.McIntyre Gilera 2/ J.Surtees MV 3/ R.Brown Gilera 4/ D.Dale MotoGuzzi 5/ K.Campbell MotoGuzi 6/ A.Trow Norton
GP Holland 1/ J.Surtees MV 2/ L.Liberati Gilera 3/ W.Zeller BMW 4/ J.Brett Norton 5/ E.Hiller BMW 6/ K.Bryen Norton
GP Belgium 1/ J.Brett Norton 2/ K.Bryen Norton 3/ D.Minter Norton 4/ M.O'Rourke Norton 5/ H.Jaeger BMW only 5 finishers
GP Ulster 1/ L.Liberati Gilera 2/ R.McIntyre Gilera 3/ G.Duke Gilera 4/ G.Tanner Norton 5/ K.Bryen MotoGuzzi 6/ T.Shepherd MV
GP Italy 1/ L.Liberati Gilera 2/ G.Duke Gilera 3/ A.Milani Gilera 4/ J.Surtees MV 5/ U.Masetti MV 6/ T.Shepherd MV

Hope that helps and if you want more years I can email them to you,
Regards Paul

#9 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:18

Thanks Paul , I will mail you.

For some excellent period pictures and story (Keith Bryen) : www.velobanjogent.com