Photo

thinking of getting a games console

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 21:15

What would you recommend? 360 or PS3? I like racing games, havent had a console since I sold my Xbos 2 1/2 years ago. I'm so bored at moment seen something to raise my enjoyment of life...

Advertisement

#2 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:20

I'd recommend the PS3 to anyone, I love mine.

#3 Hypnotise

Hypnotise

• 1,245 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 13:11

#4 dentistTubster

dentistTubster

• 160 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 14:20

People say the 360 is better. I don't see why.

Their first reason is that the 360 is less expensive.

In the long run, the PS3 is cheaper. Using amazon:

- Cheapest NEW PS3 - 80GB hard drive, plays blurays which can store 54GB of data - £268.99
- Cheapest NEW 360 - 120GB hard drive, plays DVDs which can store 7GB of data - £214.99 (if we don't include a £150 version from a seller I don't trust - how can he sell this console for over £50 cheaper new than anyone else?!)

OK, so we have a £54 difference. Now, the PS3 comes with the following features that the Xbox does not have:
- 1 Rechargeable wireless controller which recharges using USB cable (Cost of 1 rechargeable Xbox battery pack: £11.99)
- Ability to connect to wireless internet/networks (USB Wireless adaptor for Xbox: £39.99)
- Ability to play HD films (No add-on for Xbox since their HD-DVD was discontinued, which can be bought from Amazon for £17.99)
- Free multiplayer gaming (per year, this would cost £39.99)

Which, if we add up so that the PS3 is the same spec as the Xbox 360, then it is... for one year... £41.97 more expensive, and that is if you don't buy the HD-DVD add-on. Bearing in mind that if you own the console for more than one year, then you have to keep paying for the Xbox live (multiplayer gaming).

The Xbox has better games.
Right, games. Now, depends what type of games you play, but here is a list of 156 PS3 exclusives:

http://en.wikipedia..../PS3_exclusives
Included are games like Gran Turismo 5, F1 Championship Edition, Resistance 1 + 2, and of course MGS4.

For the Xbox, here is a list of 171 games:

http://en.wikipedia...._360_exclusives
Included are games like Halo 3, Project Gotham Racing, and Gears of War 2.

Personally, you have to play all the exclusives to see your taste... I really think you cannot miss out on MGS4, which is more than just a game and an experience. However, PJGR is damn good as is Halo 3 online. SO do a bit of research first.

Anyway, on with the next one.

More people play the Xbox.

This is true. 22.73 million PS3 units have been sold since its release in 2006. Since the 360 was released in 2005 (remember, they had an extra year head start here!) it has sold 30.20 million. Wikipedia is the source. However, if you play a PS3 online, you will find that more adults/teenagers play on games like COD4, whereas on the 360 every other game seems to have a 10 year old American who won't shut up. This of course is totally my opinion on the matter. Anyway, you won't struggle to find games to play against others, so this really isn't a sensible argument. And you could argue that because of the cost of Xbox live, then maybe more people actually play their consoles online with the PS3 as it is free! Again, speculation, I have no idea about the Xbox live subscription numbers compared to the number of online PS3 players.

Anyway, in conclusion, if you want a cheaper, more powerful console that allows you to watch HD films cheaper than many HD film players, then get the PS3. And that is my advice to you.

#5 Hypnotise

Hypnotise

• 1,245 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 15:50

- Cheapest NEW PS3 - 80GB hard drive, plays blurays which can store 54GB of data - £268.99
- Cheapest NEW 360 - 120GB hard drive, plays DVDs which can store 7GB of data - £214.99 (if we don't include a £150 version from a seller I don't trust - how can he sell this console for over £50 cheaper new than anyone else?!)

OK, so we have a £54 difference. Now, the PS3 comes with the following features that the Xbox does not have:
- 1 Rechargeable wireless controller which recharges using USB cable (Cost of 1 rechargeable Xbox battery pack: £11.99)
- Ability to connect to wireless internet/networks (USB Wireless adaptor for Xbox: £39.99)
- Ability to play HD films (No add-on for Xbox since their HD-DVD was discontinued, which can be bought from Amazon for £17.99)

Which, if we add up so that the PS3 is the same spec as the Xbox 360, then it is... for one year... £41.97 more expensive, and that is if you don't buy the HD-DVD add-on. Bearing in mind that if you own the console for more than one year, then you have to keep paying for the Xbox live (multiplayer gaming).

Right, games. Now, depends what type of games you play, but here is a list of 156 PS3 exclusives:

Included are games like Gran Turismo 5, F1 Championship Edition, Resistance 1 + 2, and of course MGS4.

Personally, you have to play all the exclusives to see your taste... I really think you cannot miss out on MGS4, which is more than just a game and an experience. However, PJGR is damn good as is Halo 3 online. SO do a bit of research first.

This is true. 22.73 million PS3 units have been sold since its release in 2006. Since the 360 was released in 2005 (remember, they had an extra year head start here!) it has sold 30.20 million. Wikipedia is the source. However, if you play a PS3 online, you will find that more adults/teenagers play on games like COD4, whereas on the 360 every other game seems to have a 10 year old American who won't shut up. This of course is totally my opinion on the matter. Anyway, you won't struggle to find games to play against others, so this really isn't a sensible argument. And you could argue that because of the cost of Xbox live, then maybe more people actually play their consoles online with the PS3 as it is free! Again, speculation, I have no idea about the Xbox live subscription numbers compared to the number of online PS3 players.

Anyway, in conclusion, if you want a cheaper, more powerful console that allows you to watch HD films cheaper than many HD film players, then get the PS3. And that is my advice to you.

Dude you totally made me want to buy a PS3......You should work as a salesman (if you arent one already)

Edited by Hypnotise, 13 June 2009 - 15:51.

#6 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 16:33

What he said.

#7 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,957 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 17:48

It all sounds great, until you remember the PS3's list of driving games varies from the gimmicky to the cack.

One look at Forza 3 (heck Forza 2 as it stands still beats the PS3's racing output over the head with a large shovel) should convince you if you want to do anything drivey on your new console.

#8 dentistTubster

dentistTubster

• 160 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 22:12

It all sounds great, until you remember the PS3's list of driving games varies from the gimmicky to the cack.

One look at Forza 3 (heck Forza 2 as it stands still beats the PS3's racing output over the head with a large shovel) should convince you if you want to do anything drivey on your new console.

You say this but with GT5 coming out soon and of course F1CE (a bit arcadey, I know), I still think the driving games in the future on the PS3 will be better. Bearing in mind that for simulations, you may as well get rFactor, GP4 and the new rFactor 2 which is coming out soon (with wet weather!) for your PC, which with a steering wheel will beat anything you can buy on a console. Seriously - PC sims are much better than console sims.

And you seriously HAVE to play MGS4. It's epic.

Edited by dentistTubster, 14 June 2009 - 22:14.

#9 dentistTubster

dentistTubster

• 160 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 22:16

Dude you totally made me want to buy a PS3......You should work as a salesman (if you arent one already)

Haha yeh but there are other things I could have mentioned, like the failure rate of the Xbox being something ridiculous like 1 in 10, whereas the failure rate of the PS3 is much better like 1 in 1000 (I'm not exactly sure of figures without research). Just google "red ring of death" and you will see what I mean...

Oh and I didn't mention PSN. Old PS1 titles? MGS1 or Crash Team Racing? Yep, you can buy them for a couple of pounds and play them on your PS3.

#10 Demo.

Demo.

• 1,205 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:43

Haha yeh but there are other things I could have mentioned, like the failure rate of the Xbox being something ridiculous like 1 in 10, whereas the failure rate of the PS3 is much better like 1 in 1000 (I'm not exactly sure of figures without research). Just google "red ring of death" and you will see what I mean...

Oh and I didn't mention PSN. Old PS1 titles? MGS1 or Crash Team Racing? Yep, you can buy them for a couple of pounds and play them on your PS3.

sorry PS3's have had massive failure rates due to overheating.
I myself am on my 3rd already due to them dieing to the blue screen of death.
Typical symptoms for me were starting to crash to blue screen after about 20 Min's and that becoming more and more frequent until even when cooled down it fails to boot.
Both earlier systems were replaced under warranty however the third was not due to being out of warranty from time of first unit purchased. I have not replaced the third one yet firstly due to lack of really great games and secondly because i have not heard yet that they have solved the overheating problem.

Having said that as far as racing games are concerned i ended up playing far more PS2 racing games on my PS3 (only able to do this with the first batch of PS3 60 gig models as they never allowed the 40 gig model to play ps2 games and later removed that ability from later 60gig models too :down: :down: :down: ) as most PS3 games i have played i have found to be very much graphics over game play with most having very few tracks and even fewer unique bits to the game. Play it for 30 Min's and you have seen all the game has to offer.
However that is just my opinion of the PS3 games i have played and perhaps there are other games i have not met that are far better than the 15 racing games i have. But to be fair it is still a relatively new console ( compared to the PS2, Xbox etc) and so will take a while for games to become more mature and who knows by the time GT5 finally is released it could be the first really great racing game out on the PS3 ( GT5 prologue is IMHO the best racing game out on PS3) but then i still play GT4 even today and think that is the best racing game on the PS2.

Edited by Demo., 15 June 2009 - 03:45.

#11 dentistTubster

dentistTubster

• 160 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:20

sorry PS3's have had massive failure rates due to overheating.
I myself am on my 3rd already due to them dieing to the blue screen of death.
Typical symptoms for me were starting to crash to blue screen after about 20 Min's and that becoming more and more frequent until even when cooled down it fails to boot.
Both earlier systems were replaced under warranty however the third was not due to being out of warranty from time of first unit purchased. I have not replaced the third one yet firstly due to lack of really great games and secondly because i have not heard yet that they have solved the overheating problem.

Having said that as far as racing games are concerned i ended up playing far more PS2 racing games on my PS3 (only able to do this with the first batch of PS3 60 gig models as they never allowed the 40 gig model to play ps2 games and later removed that ability from later 60gig models too :down: :down: :down: ) as most PS3 games i have played i have found to be very much graphics over game play with most having very few tracks and even fewer unique bits to the game. Play it for 30 Min's and you have seen all the game has to offer.
However that is just my opinion of the PS3 games i have played and perhaps there are other games i have not met that are far better than the 15 racing games i have. But to be fair it is still a relatively new console ( compared to the PS2, Xbox etc) and so will take a while for games to become more mature and who knows by the time GT5 finally is released it could be the first really great racing game out on the PS3 ( GT5 prologue is IMHO the best racing game out on PS3) but then i still play GT4 even today and think that is the best racing game on the PS2.

Fair enough, but didn't it strike you first time that overheating may have been half of your own fault? Find a cooler part of the room, or even buy a £5 cooling fan which runs of USB power to stick to the back of it (there are loads floating around). To be honest, I keep mine behind my TV in a cool part of the room so I have never had any problems (and when I was burgled recently the ***** totally missed my PS3, thank god :) ). PS3s do have a slight overheating problem but it is easily fixed. 360s tend to break for no apparent reason when they go.

And as I have mentioned, playing racing games on PS3 is not really advisable. Of course, there are a few good ones but most are a bit arcadey, and it is better if you want a sim-type game to upgrade you graphics card on your PC and use the very good sims that are around (netKar is brilliant, rFactor as I have mentioned, etc etc).

#12 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 14:15

I have PS2 and PS3 and cannot say PS3 has yet very good (complete) driving games.

I'm classifying GT5P as early demo but it opens door a little what killer application Gran Turismo 5 might be.

I also have Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli, which is actually quite decent racing game - especially with wheel.
Formula 1 Championship Edition is great looking and fun too.

IMO, it's childish to go drag fight between PS3, Xbox, Wii, [name it]. If you can afford on both top consoles, why not to get both?

Forza 2 and 3 seems to be nice, but haven't played them, so I cannot really draw my opinion about them.

Less money you can have more fun than wasting your money on PC components. :)

#13 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 16:44

I bought a PS3 in the Autumn of 2008. Although I had been toying with the idea of a game console for several years, my initial plan was to upgrade my PC and get into LFS or Rfactor. As a Mac user, my desktop and laptop are still PowerPC based. And both are otherwise adequate for my needs. When I added up the cost of either purchasing a high end PC with a good graphics card or upgrading my current tower to an Intel based Mac Pro, I found it was actually much cheaper to go with the Playstation. So in my case it was a simple matter of economics.

When I was comparing cosnole systems, I found I drew many of the same conclusions as dentistTubster outlined in his very comprehensive post. Since I was only interested in racing sims and not games in general, the Xbox360 did have some appeal simply because of Forza 2. But one advantage the PS3 has, which nobody has mentioned, is the ability to hook up a Logitech G25. I once played Forza 2 with the Microsoft wheel and found it very unsatisfactory.

I haven't had my PS3 long enough to comment on reliability. But it's my understanding that any PlayStation built with the newer 65nm chips is much more reliable and less prone to overheating. I have mine in the basement and it rarely climbs above 68*F.

#14 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 17:02

I also have Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli, which is actually quite decent racing game - especially with wheel...

For the love of Pete, you're the 3rd person who's mentioned FC in favorable light. But I never see any of you guys on-line. :|

For the record:

- F1:CE - Good but not great. I got into it late. It's no longer possible to race on-line. LAN setup (apparently) works very well.
- GT5P - Offers a glimpse of what can be. With a greater car and track selection, private lobbies, proper damage, fuel and tire wear, it will be a world beater. Visually stunning.
- Ferrari Challenge - The best FFB in PS3 land. Mired by connectivity issues with larger lobbies.
- Grid - Good FFB, Great graphics - Pole Position level physics

On the horizon, NFS:Shift, GT5 & SuperCar Challenge could all range from interesting to pure bliss.

#15 dentistTubster

dentistTubster

• 160 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 17:28

I bought a PS3 in the Autumn of 2008. Although I had been toying with the idea of a game console for several years, my initial plan was to upgrade my PC and get into LFS or Rfactor. As a Mac user, my desktop and laptop are still PowerPC based. And both are otherwise adequate for my needs. When I added up the cost of either purchasing a high end PC with a good graphics card or upgrading my current tower to an Intel based Mac Pro, I found it was actually much cheaper to go with the Playstation. So in my case it was a simple matter of economics.

When I was comparing cosnole systems, I found I drew many of the same conclusions as dentistTubster outlined in his very comprehensive post. Since I was only interested in racing sims and not games in general, the Xbox360 did have some appeal simply because of Forza 2. But one advantage the PS3 has, which nobody has mentioned, is the ability to hook up a Logitech G25. I once played Forza 2 with the Microsoft wheel and found it very unsatisfactory.

I haven't had my PS3 long enough to comment on reliability. But it's my understanding that any PlayStation built with the newer 65nm chips is much more reliable and less prone to overheating. I have mine in the basement and it rarely climbs above 68*F.

Ah yeh I forgot about the Logitech. For those wondering, it's the best wheel you can buy - 900 degrees of movement, fantastic force feedback (really cannot put into words just how good it is, you can feel every bump, sense a slide before it happens...), it has a clutch pedal, a sequential paddle shift OR a gated shift... just brilliant. And the best thing about it - with considerable use, it STILL shows no sign of wear - even the paddles feel crisp like the day I bought it. Shame it costs about £150 from somewhere decent.

#16 dentistTubster

dentistTubster

• 160 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 17:44

Oh and by the way, GT5 does support the full 900 degree motion, which makes it REALLY good for accurate steering with the lower-end cars.

#17 pixelpunk

pixelpunk

• 98 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 19:37

Ah! The epic question of which console rules. I say it's simple, its the console your friends have. That way you can pick the same games at the stores and play together online etc. It's invaluable in my view to have the same gear as your friends.

Other than that, the only good thing I can think of regarding the Xbox is Forza Motorsport. Even though I haven't played it much at all, it clearly rocks, and the third installment should be no worse and I'm so looking forward to it. Oh, and the controller are a tad better than the Sony offering. Especially in racing games (throttle/brake).

But, the sound the 360 makes - it's loud. Playing a game and being immersed in it you stop noticing much, but I'm surprised at the level of noise it makes. I heard friends talk about it but never experienced it for myself really until I got one. It's a joy to start my PS3 in contrast (no sound at all more or less), starting the 360 and I almost expect people to come knocking at my door telling me to shut down the industrial strength fans.

But buy whatever your friends have.

#18 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:00

But buy whatever your friends have.

That quote frightens me. I see some people obeys that for music, clothes, movies and such. Some people are too coward been different and individual.

I'd say buy what ever you want, not what your friends have.

#19 dentistTubster

dentistTubster

• 160 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:05

That quote frightens me. I see some people obeys that for music, clothes, movies and such. Some people are too coward been different and individual.

Top shout. Don't follow the crowd - buy the better console, the cheaper console, the one with less problems, the one with more of a future. The PS3.

Advertisement

#20 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 16:31

Just thought I would bump this thread as Sony has just announced the PS3 Slim model. Basically a redesign with all of the same features as the standard PS3 unit that's about 30% smaller, 30% lighter and uses 1/3 less power. It retails for $299 in the US and EUR 299 in Europe. The current models have dropped in price as well.

Details here.

#21 pixelpunk

pixelpunk

• 98 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 21:57

Old thread but I might've as well reply to the objections of my "buy what your friends have" advice I gave.

Sure, going your own route is preferred for many things I do agree, but the reality for me is I love to play with my friends, and we team up to buy games for the purpose of fun online gaming. I wouldn't put this down as being the same as thing as following others in clothing, music etc. It's not about being an individual that's ridiculous, it's about hanging with your mates.

I've got both consoles nowadays btw. Nothing beats Forza 2, and soon Forza 3 is here while GT5 is, well I don't know where it is? And the controller is better on Xbox for racing games. However if you're planning to race with a wheel that's of no importance. Missing out on the Forza series is nothing a consoleracer wants to do. But, the PS3 has so much else going for it it's just to hard of a choice between these two.

#22 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:49

The reason for buying what your friends have has nothing to do with peer pressure but simply to be able to play games with them online and even share the cost of games.

#23 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,853 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 18:11

The lack of good wheels for the XBox is what sold me on the PS3. GT5P is just a fraction of what the full version can be, and I can't get enough of the online racing. I can't imagine what the full version will be like. Not only does the wheel work great with the PS3, I can also use it on the PC. Free online play to boot...duh.

#24 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 13:30

Buy a Atari 2600, it has a F1 racing game on it!!! With a nice racing wheel you'll get really into it!!!! forget the next-gen console's, go to the way-back-console's!!!

<<< WOWOWOWOW!!

Edited by Frans, 18 September 2009 - 13:32.

#25 DanDectis

DanDectis

• 152 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 17:32

just get a PC and good wheel, you'll be glad you did

#26 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 00:13

PS3

#27 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:06

What's the best F1 game for the PS3? The last F1 game I bought for my Playstation was F12001 by EA Sports. While many complained that it was too twitchy & difficult, I actually enjoyed it a lot. I thought the physics in simulation mode was pretty good. I've been a way from playing these games for a while and I'm just now getting back into it. I do plan on getting a G25 wheel, too. I have an older Driving Force wheel and I thought was very good at the time; however, I like what the G25 has to offer. After reading the reviews of the G27, I think I'm going to stick w/ the G25.

Anyway, I know the options of an F1 game for the PS3 are pretty limited, so any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

#28 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 1,068 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 23:43

the next F1 game will be released for xbox 360, ps3 and PC,

xbox 360 clearly have the best racing games (forza1+2, PGR 3+4 and others), and overall most games are multiplatform, and both systems have some good exclusives....

one good thing in the PS3 is that you can use some logitech steering wheels, in the xbox 360 the choices are quite limited.

#29 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 20:48

While you're at it, pick up a Betamax.

#30 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 20:51

What's the best F1 game for the PS3? The last F1 game I bought for my Playstation was F12001 by EA Sports. While many complained that it was too twitchy & difficult, I actually enjoyed it a lot. I thought the physics in simulation mode was pretty good. I've been a way from playing these games for a while and I'm just now getting back into it. I do plan on getting a G25 wheel, too. I have an older Driving Force wheel and I thought was very good at the time; however, I like what the G25 has to offer. After reading the reviews of the G27, I think I'm going to stick w/ the G25.

EAF1 2001 was an awful game..it shipped with many bugs, like most EA stuff.

There is only one F1 game on the PS3. Championship edition. 06 cars and tracks. Very unremarkable.

#31 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 20:53

More kids play the XBox, but most are just on those homicidal war killing games. Yanks love to shoot people.

#32 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:27

Do you work for Sony or something?

#33 BinaryDad

BinaryDad

• 1,017 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:12

There is only one F1 game on the PS3. Championship edition. 06 cars and tracks. Very unremarkable.

There's a reason for that though, and it has nothing to do with the PS3 itself. The team working on the game was very small, and had to work on the PSP version as well. It was all very rushed, and the guys tried to do the best that they could given the limited resources.

I was talking to the guy responsible for the AI in the game last year, and he was almost falling over himself apologising that it was so bad, explaining the constraints they were under. I almost ended up working on the F1 franchise while Sony had it, but I'm sort of glad that I didn't. Sony never really devoted any resources to it during their license period, instead opting for the GT series to be their flagship driving/racing experience.

As for buying a console, I have no complaints about my PS3. It has a good spread of arcade racing games (Ridge Racer, Midnight Club et al) to sort of ok games (Nascar) to "proper" simulations such as Gran Turismo. The latter is something you will never see on the 360, because it's simply not something that the demographic on the 360 want.

On-line functionality on the PS3 is free, and is improving all the time. There's a huge focus on being able to buy games on the on-line store. And these are full games, which drastically lowers the price to the consumer, which can only be a good thing.

#34 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 1,068 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:57

As for buying a console, I have no complaints about my PS3. It has a good spread of arcade racing games (Ridge Racer, Midnight Club et al) to sort of ok games (Nascar) to "proper" simulations such as Gran Turismo. The latter is something you will never see on the 360, because it's simply not something that the demographic on the 360 want.

360 have ridge racer, midnight club and many others, also have PGR4 and 3, and have a game that is a better "simulator" than GT, Forza 3 (and 2), PS3 have only GT5 prologue.....

for racing games, currently the 360 is clearly a better choice.

Edited by SPBHM, 09 December 2009 - 02:58.

#35 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:40

360 have ridge racer, midnight club and many others, also have PGR4 and 3, and have a game that is a better "simulator" than GT, Forza 3 (and 2), PS3 have only GT5 prologue.....

for racing games, currently the 360 is clearly a better choice.

The PS3 also has Ferrari Challenge & Supercar Challenge, both of which have excellent physics and are often overlooked as they don't appeal to mainstream gamers. If anything, it's a toss up.

#36 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 13:31

EAF1 2001 was an awful game.

You weren't that good at it??  ;)

I must have been lucky because my game was just fine and it didn't have any glitches with it (at least none that I can remember). I played a lot of the different games back in the early 2001-03 time frame and most of the them were way too easy and the physics were not that good. That's why I liked the 2001 game. It was the only game that kept me somewhat sharp when I wasn't karting.

#37 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 15:29

Since release the PS3 has outsold the 360, rather than Wiki my source is yesterdays edition of the Gadget Show using official figures, to the tune of 3 million units (originally 10million units behind now 7million). It will also be a viable platform for much longer than the 360 as it is far more powerful so in it's longer life should ship more units and eventually have more people playing.

#38 AndreasF1

AndreasF1

• 1,200 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:30

Since release the PS3 has outsold the 360, rather than Wiki my source is yesterdays edition of the Gadget Show using official figures, to the tune of 3 million units (originally 10million units behind now 7million). It will also be a viable platform for much longer than the 360 as it is far more powerful so in it's longer life should ship more units and eventually have more people playing.

By the time you have finished your thought we are all playing the next generation XBOX 720 in 3D ... :-) Seriously, there ins't much between them but the Forza 3 is a dealbreaker. Sorry but there isn't a single game on the PS3 that comes even close.

#39 Redstorm

Redstorm

• 343 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:53

The "get what your friends have" idea should be considered. I own an origional 60gb Ps3 and have had ZERO issues with it. I love the backwards comparability for my PS2 games. I have four gaming buddies and all have a 360. Sucks because I don't get to join in. However only one of them has not had an issue with the 360. Two have had them break ONCE and the third has had his break THREE times!!! Always overheating and getting red ring disease so be warned. The only plus is MS fixed them all quick. Said 6-8 weeks and they got them in 4. Practice makes perfect.

Bought my PS3 in march of the year they came out just after all the eBay ripoffs were sold and the USA got the second shipment. I play almost every day. Take it OUT of the cabinet. Don't just open the door. I put mine on top of my component stand and it never gets hot. On weekends I might have the house to myself and play 6-8 hrs and it still runs cool. The 360 placed in the same spot runs MOLTEN hot in 30 mins.

Not a 360 basher FYI. Almost bought one to play with the friends and still might...

Advertisement

#40 Matt Hughes

Matt Hughes

• 375 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 22:00

As someone who works in the industry, I have equal liking for each. However, a big part of my appreciation of the PS3 is down to things that might not appeal to every gamer - i.e. the menu system being slicker, and it having Blu Ray. The PS3 is a better bit of kit in some ways, but the way the stuff inside is built makes it rather difficult for the thing to match the 360 visually when it comes to cross-platform games. Generally, the PS3's structure and cell processor create various issues that usually cause most games to not run quite as well on it as on Microsoft's machine. Still, with Heavy Rain now out, God of War III on the horizon and Uncharted 2 clocking up awards, Sony are stepping things up nicely.

Having said that, I personally prefer the Xbox's lineup of exclusives and online service. Forza 3 is cracking, the Project Gotham games are great fun, Mass Effect 1 and 2 are very absorbing, Gears of War titles are entertaining enough... add in a brilliant online shop with some fantastic little arcade games (someone please stop me from getting addicted to Geometry Wars again) and a pretty well-oiled friends and game invite system and you've got something the PS3 doesn't quite have. The PS Network is free, granted, and you do have to pay £35 a year for Xbox Live, but it's a more accomplished service.

Depends what you are after really, as both machines will do you well. If you are after a quiet, sleek machine that can give you high def movies and a selection of decent games, get the PS3. If you want a great online service and games are more important to you than movies, get the 360. I have both and they're both used very regularly...

... which is more than you can say for my little Wii, bless it.

#41 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 13:07

Since release the PS3 has outsold the 360...

Since its release the 360 has sold more units than the PS3, with sales of the PS3 being expected to surpass those of the 360 by January 2011. But which ever way the figures are viewed doesn't really matter because PS3 owners will praise their console and 360 owners will praise theirs.

I was a Playstation gamer but, going back to the point about friends, one of the main influences that swayed me towards the original Xbox was the fact that friends were getting them and that meant being able to link up online, something some of us had done on PC, but not all. We then moved onto the 360 and the whole online experience has been, and continues to be, superb. Yes, there's a fee for Xbox Live but at less than £1 a week it's well worth it IMHO.

I can't make a comparison with the games for each console because I've never played a PS3. I can say I'm perfectly happy with Forza and don't look at PS3 games with any tinge of regret!

When ever the next-gen consoles come along me & my friends may have a decision to make (if we're still playing games at our ages!!) but for the time being we're perfectly happy with our choice.

#42 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 19:22

Cheaper
Much more games
Xbox Live

#43 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,853 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 13:41

If you prefer racing games how would you like to race your cars?

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

Edited by Peeko, 05 March 2010 - 15:24.

#44 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 19:57

Well, in fairness, if you have an XBox, you can use one of these.

Posted Image

But it sucks. :well: As I mentioned earlier in the thread, lack of good wheel options is what really led me to the PS3.

#45 pRy

pRy

• 26,345 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 21:06

The motion sensor that is coming later this year for the XBOX 360 looks very nifty. Forget Nintendo Wii, this thing maps your entire body.

#46 Turn 1

Turn 1

• 347 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 23:47

What I've always told anybody that has asked the question.

If your just going to be playing offline, buy either. (base your decision on game exclusives if need be)

If your going to be playing online regularly, unquestionably buy a 360.

#47 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:18

If your going to be playing online regularly, unquestionably buy a 360.

Why though? Is there really such a difference between the two. I've heard circular arguments for years and they generally break down to which side of the camp you sit on and there's little that I've seen to really give one a unique advantage over the other.

Edited by jaisli, 07 March 2010 - 12:19.

#48 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 22:07

I have another view on that if you want to play online, get xbox360.

I'd like to have both powerfull machines since ps3 and xbox360 has some very nice exclusive games.
But I hate that when I go to store and pay 70 euros for game, one game. Then they ask more money if I want to pay it online. So there goes idea of getting xbox for online games.

#49 Turn 1

Turn 1

• 347 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 23:04

Why though? Is there really such a difference between the two. I've heard circular arguments for years and they generally break down to which side of the camp you sit on and there's little that I've seen to really give one a unique advantage over the other.

Theres one MAJOR reason why xbox live is far superior to PS3 network. 90% of the xbox community actually have a headset whilst it's probably more along the lines of 10% on the PS3. For me thats what online gaming is all about, spending endless hours having a laugh with like-minded people.

And then it's all about the small things that make live so much better, I'm not going to list them because on their own they all seem pretty unimportant but they all add to the experience. Xbox live has always been and IMO always will be one step ahead of PS3 network.

It's like comparing F1 with GP2 :rotfl:

#50 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 23:40

Theres one MAJOR reason why xbox live is far superior to PS3 network. 90% of the xbox community actually have a headset whilst it's probably more along the lines of 10% on the PS3. For me thats what online gaming is all about, spending endless hours having a laugh with like-minded people.

And then it's all about the small things that make live so much better, I'm not going to list them because on their own they all seem pretty unimportant but they all add to the experience. Xbox live has always been and IMO always will be one step ahead of PS3 network.

It's like comparing F1 with GP2 :rotfl:

With all due respect, this is exactly the kind of baseless argument I hear from fan boys on both sides and I was really hoping for better. Maybe you're right. But how about some stats to back this up? I doubt you'll find any because I think this is complete bunk. I regularly play Supercar Challenge and Ferrari Challenge on the PS3 and enter into lobbies with 8-12 players where the vast majority are taking advantage of verbal chat, myself included. In fact, sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming with 10+ people in the lobby all giving a play by play. I don't play any games outside of racing sims so maybe this is correct with other types of games. Is there a reason that PS3 owners don't use headsets? I can't see one and from my own personal experience I believe this statement is completely false. Especially considering the PS3 has blu-tooth built in. It's so easy.

Come on, if there are other 'small' things than list them. I'm told that Xbox live is a 'better' online experience but I have almost no first hand experience with it and I'd like to know why you think so. What makes it better? Tell me. But try and do it without making false accusations about the 'other' platform.