Photo

John Crellin RIP

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:22

Sadly John Crellin was killed on the last lap of the Senior TT after crashing at the Mountain box section. An experinced Manx & TT competitor.
RIP John. :(

Advertisement

#2 Steve Bateman

Steve Bateman

• 328 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:58

Terrible news, just read it on the TT website.58 years old, what a waste of life, my sincerest condolences go to all his family.

Dont know if you have been watching the ITV4 coverage of this years races, i just find it terrifying to watch, todays Superbikes are just too fast for the circuit.

I lost my best pal Nigel Haddon near Guthries at the 1996 Manx on an RC30 and since then it has lost its appeal to me, even more so with John Goodall last year.
I know its a fantastic spectacle to watch and brings in much needed revenue to the Island, but at too high a cost in my opinion.

RIP John Crellin.

#3 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 13:02

Terrible news, just read it on the TT website.58 years old, what a waste of life, my sincerest condolences go to all his family.

Dont know if you have been watching the ITV4 coverage of this years races, i just find it terrifying to watch, todays Superbikes are just too fast for the circuit.

I lost my best pal Nigel Haddon near Guthries at the 1996 Manx on an RC30 and since then it has lost its appeal to me, even more so with John Goodall last year.
I know its a fantastic spectacle to watch and brings in much needed revenue to the Island, but at too high a cost in my opinion.

RIP John Crellin.

Could not have put it better myself Steve :cry: ----I thought so much after the Proddie 1300 TT in '89 :cry: :cry:

#4 TZ350

TZ350

• 789 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 15:41

Well of course it is very sad when a racer perishes and the death of John Crellin on the last lap of the Senior TT is tragic. however I hope you dont think me incencitive when I differ from other views expressed. As someone whom has raced , ( admittedly never been to the Island but raced many times on road circuits in Ireland ( and also road type circuits such as Scarborough ) and has lost many friends on the Island including my best friend that got me into racing in the first place :cry: I do not feel it should be banned . Yes speeds have increased considerably since my time ( 115-8 mph laps were the tops in those days) but then so as safety , medical treatment etc etc. Ar rhe end of the day , every racer assimilates information and assesses the risks. after all if we did not want to race at a venue we wouldn't presumably. I hope this hasn't upset anybody.
My thoughts are with the family and friends of John Crellin
RIP John. :cry:

#5 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 16:02

It's always sad news wherever a competitor is fatally injured. John provided spectators with great rides over the years and will be sadly missed. The TT entry list won't be the same.

RIP John

David

#6 Arthur

Arthur

• 170 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 16:20

Sadly John Crellin was killed on the last lap of the Senior TT after crashing at the Mountain box section. An experinced Manx & TT competitor.
RIP John.

RIP John
Any death is sad occasion but in all motorsport the risk is there Remember John was also a mountain climber,Everest ect,which I believe carries a higher risk than the Isle of Man TT coarse.It is also worth noting that several of the recent years fatilities have been on classic machines where the speeds are not disimilar from 40 years ago. The danger is what makes road racing what it is and I am sure those that have paid the ultimate price would not want it banned.
RIP UNDER THE CHEQUERED FLAG JOHN CRELLIN

#7 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 17:11

Yes, commiserations to the family.

The essential question is whether people should be saved from themselves. Gawd, I hope not (not the time for a diatribe on the inconsistencies on the part of the sate on this issue).

#8 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 21:21

This guy could have been killed on his three Everest attempts, or his climbing of 6 of the worlds other major peaks but he wasnt. If he had been I am sure there would have been no calling for mountaineering to be banned.

#9 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:43

As sad as it is to lose a rider, John Crellin had lived a great exciting full life, with 8 Manx TT rides & over 40 TT races, along with his attempt to conquer the major climbs around the world, he must of lived & loved every minute of his life.
I never met him, though I did see him race at least once in the late 70's racing on the short circuits, (I have a photo somewhere?)
I am sorry for the sadness that his family will be going through at this time, but I am sure they will look back in the days ahead and reflect on an exceptional man & life that he had led.
No one makes anyone race or race anywhere, its a personal choice. They/you guys do it because you loved it, the road courses/TT a challenge that was to be taken on, John Crellin had no chance of winning a TT realy, but just to be there and do it, go faster than the year before was a thrill that was enough for him.
He would not want it banned or changed in anyway

#10 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 16:47

I new I had one some where!! John Crellin 1977 on the 850 Norton at Brands Hatch 1977, seamans socks, woolly jumper, and catch bottle behind mudguard!!
RIP John.
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#11 Ronaldo

Ronaldo

• 95 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:21

I new I had one some where!! John Crellin 1977 on the 850 Norton at Brands Hatch 1977, seamans socks, woolly jumper, and catch bottle behind mudguard!!
RIP John.
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

Graham,

Very nice close up of a youthful John Crellin. He will be remembered for all those things that he achieved; 1977 now seems such a long time ago and I find it truely amazing that he was still competing after all these years.

Competitors of the period are lucky indeed that you were there to record their efforts in such a professional way and to reproduce them on this forum.

You seen to be able to remember almost every picture that you've ever taken; bet you can even tell us who is riding the 42 bike.

Best wishes, Peter Weale.

#12 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 16:59

Graham,

Very nice close up of a youthful John Crellin. He will be remembered for all those things that he achieved; 1977 now seems such a long time ago and I find it truely amazing that he was still competing after all these years.

Competitors of the period are lucky indeed that you were there to record their efforts in such a professional way and to reproduce them on this forum.

You seen to be able to remember almost every picture that you've ever taken; bet you can even tell us who is riding the 42 bike.

Best wishes, Peter Weale.

Thanks Peter, I can but I shall save it as a WWW? for next week.
The funny thing is all those years a go I set out to collect as many "good" pictures of the the riders from as many races & race levels as possible, just for my benefit & collection, but I am so glad that I can share them with all you guys that I was in awe of at the time, all these years later!! funny old World innit!!? :wave: