Photo

Norton Manx racers John Samways and John Smith...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

• 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 17:17

As I understand it, in the 1967-1969 era, John Samways raced a Norton Manx at the Isle-of-Man...possibly sponsored by John Smith of South Africa, who also rode a Manx.

Following a recent conversation with Mr. Samways, it became apparent that he would enjoy hearing about (or, better yet...contacting) Mr. John Smith.

My HOPE is to assist him in this endeavor.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Advertisement

#2 pmbboy

pmbboy

• 265 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 22:05

As I understand it, in the 1967-1969 era, John Samways raced a Norton Manx at the Isle-of-Man...possibly sponsored by John Smith of South Africa, who also rode a Manx.

Following a recent conversation with Mr. Samways, it became apparent that he would enjoy hearing about (or, better yet...contacting) Mr. John Smith.

My HOPE is to assist him in this endeavor.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Hi,
This is a real shock to see John Samways name appear, I was with John when he raced in the Manx GP in 1967 and he was sponsored by my father Doug Aldridge in the years 1967 and 1969. my father had previosly sponsored John Smith and the bike Johne Samways rode in 1967 was the ex John Smith bike. John Smith went back to South Africa in 1965 and he his still involved with bikes having his own motorcycle shop in Pietermaritzburg and he is still going strong often meeting up with his old mate Martin Watson.
I hope this helps your quest to info and I hope you can let us know what John is doing now still in the states or where?
cheers
Peter

#3 Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

• 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 23:12

Peter...THANK YOU so very much for your quick and immensely helpful response!!

I have spoken with John, and he would very much like to chat with you...and hopefully, John Smth.

He requested that I ask you to send your telephone number and e-mail address back to me so that I can relay the information to him.

My address is Zvipers@aol.com

Please be assured that your information will go ONLY to John Samways !!!

Again, thanks!!!

Steve

#4 Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

• 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 15:31

Can anyone else help, please?

Thanks.

#5 Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

• 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 17:32

Peter, THANK YOU for the e-mail and the contact info that I have already forwarded to John.

I just called him to suggest that he should check his e-mail.

He is quite happy...and I'm certainly sure that he will be contacting you soon !!!

Best Regards,

Steve

#6 Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

• 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 18:33

The Internet is an amazing place, indeed!!!

Had the pleasure of relaying a communication to John from another former racing chap!!!