Photo

Alfonso de Portago

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Smart

Michael Smart

• 69 posts

Posted 19 October 2000 - 14:40

It may be ledgend but many years ago a story was told or was read about a racing driver flying his aircraft under one of the London bridges, (if true it may have been Tower Bridge) It would have been early to mid fifties. I have always believed it to be Spain's de Portago. Has anyone any knowledge of this amazing event? I would imagine certain authorities may have taken a rather dim view of this sort of action, but at this point in time there is quite a romantic feel about it, to me at least. If the story is true I would like to know the type of aircraft, it's colour and it's direction of flight. Impossible questions but I think it would make a wonderfully romantic oil painting. Can anyone please help? Thankyou Michael Smart

Advertisement

#2 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 19 October 2000 - 22:55

Michael,

I do not think I can help you as I wish I could BUT...you might be on the right track!

Born in London in 1928 Alfonso Antonio Vicente Blas Ángel Francisco Borgia Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton Carvajal y Are, seventh Marquis of Portago and Conde of Mejorada was a multisportsman that practised horse-riding (participating twice on the Aintree Grand National),hockey ,polo, swimming and some others, actually obtaining in the Saint-Moritz Winter Olympic Games in 1956 fourth place in the bobsleigh final, representing the Spanish Team (he had finished third in the World Championship).

And yes, he was keen on flying aircrafts, but to which extent the "legend" and its details are true are beyond my knowledge.

Interesting subject, anyway, that I will try to investigate further.

:)

Felix Muelas

#3 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 19 October 2000 - 23:20

One more thing : following the example of Hans Etzrodt, that has shown us to always show our cards, this is the list of sources that I have to consult on Portago, just in case any of you wants to follow the route...

-Life: 1 July 1957, pgs. 27 to 33
-Paris-Match: 5 October 1957 (Olivier Merlin), pg. 93
-VonFrankenberg (10): M.G.S., pg. 13 and 22
-Tempo: 1957, pg. 102-103
-Fangio (1): pg. 247
-Giovanni Lurani (2): pgs. 192 and 194
-Robert Daley (3), pgs. 12, 25 and 34
-Moss (4): pg. 69 and 125
-Michael Frewin (5): page 168-IV (pic)
-Carroll Shelby (6): pg. 98
-Enzo Ferrari (7): pgs. 137, 207 y 210
-Press: 8 April 1968
-L´Automobile: July-August 1968 (Gérard Flocon), pg. 83; May 1971, pg. 61; Oct 1972, pg. 119 (pic) and 120; May 1980, pg. 29
-Ferruccio Bernabò (8): pg. 41
-Velocidad: 27 Febr 1971 (Alberto Mallo/Alfonso Abril Lefort), pg. 14
-El Automóvil a Través del Tiempo: entrada “Ferrari, de Herrero a Corredor” J. Repollés: pg. 203
-Enciclopedia Salvat del Automóvil: vol 5, pg. 6; vol 8, pg. 37
-Alberto Mallo: Diccionario, pg. 261
-Ignacio Lewin and others: pg. 168
-Sport-Auto: Jun75 (G. C.), pg. 61 (pic) and 62; Mar78 (Cyril Frey), pg. 101; Jul96 (J.-L. M.), pg. 97; Mar997, pg. 84
-Sports Car Illustrated: Sept88 (Luis Rodríguez Kohly), pg. 69
-Sports Car International: Nov91 (Tim Considine): pg. 65; Feb92 (John Retsek), pg. 70
-Motor Clásico: Feb93 (J. Bonilla), pg. 89
-Classic & Sports Car: Apr97, pg. 87 and 99
-Bruce Jones (9): pg. 22, 143 y 200
-VonFrankenberg (10): M.G.S., pg. 13 and 22
-Los Mejores Automóviles del Mundo: 1996 (J. Bonilla), pg. 137
-Auto Hebdo Sport: 16 Oct99, pg. 4
-Car and Driver: Feb2000 (Carlos Lera), pg. 64

Legend
1 “MA VIE À 300 À L’HEURE”
2 “LA STORIA DELLA MILLE MIGLIA”
3 “CARS AT SPEED”
4 “ALL BUT MY LIFE”
5 “The International GRAND PRIX book of MOTOR RACING”
6 “THE COBRA STORY” (“THE CARROLL SHELBY STORY”)
7 “LE MIE GIOIE TERRIBILI”
8 “AUTOS DE CARRERAS”
9 “THE ULTIMATE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FORMULA ONE”
10 “MEIN GELIEBTER SPORT”

#4 Michael Smart

Michael Smart

• 69 posts

Posted 20 October 2000 - 07:53

Thankyou Felix for your encouraging reply, your library must be quite extensive, the information you have just given tends to confirm the ledgend just a little bit dos'nt it.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 20 October 2000 - 08:10

On what date did the alleged event take place? Surely it would have made the papers (assuming it wasn't in the middle of a huge Smog, in which case the poor poms would have been coughing too much to notice)?
Does it align with a British race meeting?

#6 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 20 October 2000 - 14:36

Felix
How did a young 41 year old like yourself come up with all of that material on de Portago?
You have told us your age, but there is no profile on you. How about letting us in on what you do, your interests etc.
I would be interested to know a little more about someone who has access to so much information.

#7 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 20 October 2000 - 21:29

Barry

I guess you are somehow right. To be honest I should have done that before, but since the arrival in April of my son John I have dramatically reduced my computer time, my son benefiting from that!

I was also quite tempted to explain what is my system of notes, cards and in general investigation on the appropiate thread, but again I have to reckon that I never found the appropiate time to do it.

Being aware that any given individual is the owner of his silences as much as the slave of his words I feel nonetheless somehow obliged to answer your questions. I hope these will be relevant, although you are probably aware that what might be important from my point of view might sound extremelly uninteresting from outside.

Anyway, I promise I will post some personal details in the next couple of days.

PS : On Portago, I assume the only items that you might wonder about are the 1957 articles found in Life, Paris-Match and Tempo. All these magazines, together with a couple more, that my father used to collect (and bind!) following my grandfather´s tradition and that form part of his (extensive) library.
In case you are wondering, no, my father didn´t focus on Motor Racing (much to my dismay), his favourite sport was tennis and, oh boy, I sometimes regret, if only for the amount of material available on his library, not have followed that route!

But on the other hand, one of my father´s younger brothers (they are 10!) was extremelly hooked on Motor Racing himself and used to buy all available (spanish and french, mainly) magazines in the sixties, when he was a teenager and I was a kid. As sometimes happens, my uncle got married and many of those magazines, as well as some books (in spanish, translations of 60´s material basically) found a new home...chez moi!

On the indexing : I thought at the time (or might have copied the system from someone in the family) that the only way I could have a chance to find things for the second time was to write notes on small cards (well, not that small, about the size of a A5 approx) and then index them in alphabetical order. The Portago one is a good example, although on a second reading I know there are some other references (still in my memory) that I haven´t mentioned in the card.

That´s exactly the same system I used later when writing my amateur plays, studying at the University or when reading some of the hundreds of books I have on my other historical favourite subject, the Spanish Civil War. I would create a card (or several) on each character, or place, or battle, or whatever, where details, definitions, links etc would ease a lot the task of later creating a small novel, writing an essay or simply finding differences. Moreover, I found that cards used to have the advantage of, having to write notes, one will "learn" the subject deeper than just reading intensely!
Indexing might sound like a mental illness to some people, but I feel quite happy with those references...

Of course, no computers at the time, and I have kept all those organized cards in boxes and although I reckon they do not receive anymore the kind of attention they deserve -shame on me, but I have found some other distractions- they are still very useful when researching anything. I am sure we all have shared that frustrating sensation of "I have read something about this subject but when and where?"

Not that cards will teach you how to love your kids or spend your money or walk the dog (although this last point, with the aid of a convenient road-book could be studied) but definitely they are a great help in both the digestion and the "siesta" of historical information, if you know what I mean...

Felix

#8 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 21 October 2000 - 15:28

Felix

Thanks for the detailed reply.
Cards certainly were the way to go in the days before computers, but now it is so much easier to file, organise and find information elctronically. It has sped things up amazingly.
If only there was a way to transfer the information form your cards to an electronic file.
As well as the many hours I spend every day recording information, my partner, Loretta, spends one working day every week typing information from my notes and tapes into computer files. There is enough work there to keep her going for the rest of her life - even if she was to retire from her other job and work for me full time!
Mostly we work on Australian motoring and motor sport history, which is why I am limited in what I can offer on this forum. I have a lot of books on GP history but not the time to research them for the benefit of all here. One can't do everything, unfortunately.

A big "thank you" is due to your uncle for having collected all those magazines and for transferring them to you.

Just imagine if your father and grandfather had as their main subject motor racing! With their obvious interest in history and their love of books, you would have had access to almost enough information to provide all the answers to all the questions of all the people on the Nostalgia Forum!

#9 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 21 October 2000 - 15:32

Mesmerising thought, Barry!

#10 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 21 October 2000 - 23:45

Back to the topic, the famous flight was at Palm Beach -it was a railway bridge, so maybe some of yours can spot the bridge location- and following a bet of $500. He won the bet, but loose his license temporarily. Then he was about 17 y.o., so this was around 1945/46.

#11 Michael Smart

Michael Smart

• 69 posts

Posted 22 October 2000 - 07:56

Thankyou Jarama. Nice to get back to the topic, so it seems London is the ledgend and Palm Beach is the fact. It puts the painting idea into a new light, brighter light too but no Thames barges.

#12 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 22 October 2000 - 13:22

BTW, Alfonso de Portago was a very charismatic person, belonging to the arisocracy, an all-round sportsman as Felix let us know and very attractive to the women, so there were a lot of legends about his person, and is a hard task to distinguish between true facts and only legendary things.

#13 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 22 October 2000 - 14:07

Jarama

Thanks for the memories!
:-)
Felix

#14 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 07 May 2001 - 10:51

Are there any good books on Fon DePortago in English that any of you know of?

Any info is much appreciated.

#15 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 08 May 2001 - 02:49

No books specifically on de Portago that I know of, but he does receive a mention in the following publications:

Automobile Quarterly Volume 08 Number 1 Don Vorderman Editor 1969 Automobile Quarterly Inc

Great Racing Drivers of the World Hans Tanner 1958 Sports Car Press

Ken W Purdy's Wonderful World of the Automobile Ken Purdy 1960 Thomas Y Crowell Company New York

Of Men and Cars John Christy Editor 1960 Ziff-Davis Publishing

The Encyclopaedia of Motor Sport G N Georgano 1971 Rainbird Reference Books

Encyclopedia of Auto Racing Greats 1973 Cutter and Fendell Prentice-Hall Inc

#16 Nikyp

Nikyp

• 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 15:37

On May 12th, will be 45 years without Alfonso de Portago on the tracks. I am trying to find information about him and to tell the truth, I just have a couple of statistics, dates and no stories.... Someone around know if there is any book about "Fonso" or even better, have some stories to share????? :|

Thanks! :D

#17 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 16:11

Unfortunately there has not been a book about Portago. It could have appeal well beyond the motorsports crowd because of the circles in which he traveled. Most of what was written about him was exaggerated or incorrect. Ken Purdy wrote a couple of pieces about him, one may have been in Playboy. He was the son of a Spaniard, variously described as a nobleman or a frend of noblemen. His father mairried a woman, Olga Leighton, who had once been a nurse or maid to Frank Mackey. She married Mackey and inheirited his millions when he died. Mackey was the found of Household Finance Company, a nationwide (US) man-in-the-street lender. Leighton married Portago's father and Fon was the result of that union. He grew up in Biarritz, went to fine European finishing schools. Then, he landed in New York. Sometimes described as fabulously wealthy, he seems to have been on an allowance and whatever he could scam from women. The latter activities are described in an autobiography by the late Dorian Leigh, a supermodel before the term had been invented. Leigh was Portago's lover and had at least one child by him, who committed suicide. Leigh and her sister, Suzy Parker were the top models in the 1950s. The sad thing about what was written is that he was a fascinating character whose exploits needed no exaggeration. One true story is that he broke the track record on his first run at the Cresta bobsled course. He ultimately married Carol (last name escapes me at the moment) a Southern Belle active in New York society. She later married Milton Petrie and when he died she took her place on the US Forbes 400 richest list. They also had children, one of whom tried the modeling racket.

Portago's time in racing was short. He was associated almost exclusively with Ferrari. Drove both sports and GP cars and showed a remarkable turn of speed, even if a little inconsistent. Died in the 1957 Mille Miglia. The romantic myth is that he took the time to kiss one of his mistresses at a fuel stop, but didn't take the time to change a worn tire, causing the accident.

#18 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 16:18

Paste this in your browser to see a list of Portago references

http://www.atlasf1.c...ghlight=Portago

#19 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 16:29

There is a reprint of one of Purdy's pieces about Fon (or it may be an amalgam of previous work) in a volume called "The Wonderful World of the Automobile". I have the UK edition, published by McGibbon & Kee in 1961, but I don't know the US publishing details apart from the copyright date, 1960. There was also a Riverside Records interview album.

Advertisement

#20 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 18:19

Graham Gauld has done the research. We just need to talk him into doing it.
His book, "Racing Memories of Modena" is a must read in my opinion.

#21 Nikyp

Nikyp

• 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 19:06

Thank you all!

What a life he had!!!! Good Lord, when I read things like Cabianca wrote, I feel the actual Formula One (Formula Scalectrix, as a friend of mine used to tell) have no interest at all. Compare to Portago, the problems Schumacher has in Switzerland with the construction of his new home are ridiculous, :lol:

Thanks again!

#22 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 21:22

'Classic & Sportscar' could provide a detailed biog feature on de Portago - feels like about 10 years ago which probably means 20. Contact their editorial office and ask them to check their index, or wait for the reference to emerge right here?

DCN

#23 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 21:49

Ken Purdy in "Ken Purdy's Book of Automobiles" (Galahad Books - 1972) includes a reprint of an article that was first published in Playboy in May 1958. The story is titled "The Life and Death of a Grandee." Portago's full name is given as Don Alfonso Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton , Carvajal y Are, Conde de la Mejorada, Marquis de Portago.

#24 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 22:45

Motor Racing June 1957 published a profile of de Portago. It went to print shortly before his death. It gave his full name as Alfonso Antonio Vicente Eduardo Blas Angel Francisco Borja Cabeza da Vaca, Grandee of Spain, Count of Mejorada, Count of Pernia, Marquis de Moratalla, Marquis de Portago, Duke of Alagon

#25 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 23:58

Motor Racing was also the source of this, one of the most graphic accounts I have ever read...

There was this mention early on...

Gendebien was the first to start practice with his Mercedes 300SL, followed by Behra with a 2-litre Zagato Maserati. Von Tripps arrived with a special Porsche drophead with wire wheels and set off early, in the rain, with a 3.5-litre single cam Ferrari. Jenkinson was waiting for Moss who finally arrivein in a 190SL Mercedes and prepared to leave in a 2-litre GT Maserati just to see if everything was still there. The Gran Turismo leaked so much in the perpetual rain, however, that he decided to use the 190SL instead.

Portago and Nelson practised tyre changing on their Gran Turismo and then set off for a quick lap. Collins was kicking his heels at Maranello building model boats whilst impatiently waiting for "co-driver" Louis Klemantaski to arrive. On the Maranello-Formigine road the haycarts and bicycles took greater care than usual as Ferrari's testing increased in intensity. martino Severi, Ferrari's chief tester, was screaming up and down the narrow road trying all shapes and sizes of Ferraris.

The practising brought problems...

Then news came through that Taruffi would drive for Ferrari for the first time since their disagreement in the Targa Florio. News came also that Musso was very ill again and would not be able to take part in the Mille Miglia. Von Tripps returned with his front dented by a motorcycle, and Portago's Gran Turismo was considerably more battered than when it left. There was a rumour that Maserati would carry advertisements for spaghetti.

This led to a change of car...

Moss left for two days' rest and Portago took in one more lap when he found that he would be driving a sports instead of a Gran Turismo car.

Which may well have been the fateful decision... but 'one more lap' is some understatement!

Ferraris left early Saturday morning for scrutineering driven by their respective drivers, Portago with a 4.1-litre twin ohc engined car.

Of course, the final outcome...

Victory celebrations were quickly muted when word came in from Giudizzolo, about 18 miles from the finish, that Portago had crashed when in fourth place.

On the straight, at about 180mph, a tyre burst for reasons which are still not clear. The car veered off the road, uprooted a massive granite marker stone, then flew through the air, snapping off a telegraph pole, and cutting to pieces spectators at the roadside who were pressing forward, regardless of danger, to see the cars pass. Annihilating its crew as it went, it bounced into one ditch, then hurtled across the road into the ditch on the opposite side. The Marquis de Portago, his passenger, Eddie Nelson, and nine spectators, of whom five were children, died, and several injured.

Thus ended the Mille Miglia...

#26 Brian Lear

Brian Lear

• 122 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 14:01

Originally posted by Doug Nye
'Classic & Sportscar' could provide a detailed biog feature on de Portago - feels like about 10 years ago which probably means 20. Contact their editorial office and ask them to check their index, or wait for the reference to emerge right here?

DCN

Not quite 20 Doug....
Your article appeared in the May 1985 issue.

#27 tombe

tombe

• 118 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 15:18

In the April '62 edition of the Swedish magazine 'Illustrerad Motor Sport' there's a story on de Portago written by Gonzalo Taboada, a member of the same bobsleigh-crew as the Marquis.

He brings up a couple of subjects not mentioned in this, or in the other thread.

He says Alfonso's father, Antonio, among other sports activities also had been a racing driver (can anyone confirm this ?) and that he died at Brescia taking part in a polo-match against doctor's orders. And the Spanish boxing federation put up a cup in Antonio's name to be presented yearly to one of the national amateur champions. He also apparently made himself legendary under the civil war by singelhanded doing what was needed to blow up a couple of submarines.

Taboada also mentions that de Portago, after initially racing with Chinetti/Ferrari, had a short stint with a Osca and a Maserati. In this period he employed Louis Chiron as tutor, and when he (de Portago) returned to Chinetti and Ferrari, he was a much improved driver.

On a couple of subjects, Taboada goes against the legend. He mentiones 'the kiss', but according to his story this encounter with Linda Christian took part back in Rome, which, I believe, is more than "a few miles before the accident".
About the cause of the accident he says that it was first believed that a burst rear tyre was to blame, but that later investigation pointed to a faulty rear suspension/axle, "the same fault that appeared on Collins' car". Comments ?

#28 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 19:47

Tom,
There were also reports that the accident was caused by a "cat's eye" in the road. This seem to be strange, since these things must be designed to be run over by the tires of thousands of cars without causing damage. It's certainly possible that the rear end locked up at high speed. That, or a blown tire would be my guess. I've been over that stretch of road and it's absolutely straight, so a mechanical fault was almost certainly the case.

#29 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 20:09

My understanding is that the Government-appointed inspectors identified failure in an Englebert tyre as the primary cause of the Portago crash at Guidizzolo (?), and M. Ledent and his people at Englebert managed to prove to the Court of Inquiry's satisfaction that the tyre failure had been caused by slashing of the tyre tread and casing which was attributed "in probability" to the car sliding under great power and at great speed across experimental cats' eye reflectors set into the road in a series of curves preceding the straight upon which the accident occurred. As far as I have ever been able to discover the transmission was found to be mechanically sound, although impact damaged, when stripped down. The engine, of course, went into another car and ended up in the US...you know the rest...

DCN

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 22:06

Guidizzolo...Giudizzolo? Who knows....

One thing's for sure, though I think there is an additional typo or two introduced by my hasty copying, those years Motor Racing couldn't claim any prizes for accurate typography, spelling or grammar.

#31 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 11:54

Incidentaly, I just came cross a few lines in a 1978 Sport-Auto talking about the project of a movie on Fon. Scenario was written by Robert Daley (of "Grand Prix" fame), Bob Carradine was to be the Marquis and Sylvia Chrystel (Emmanuelle :| ) was also to be part of the cast. There even is a pic of Carradine in Hunt's mcLaren (although I don't really see the connection here with Portago ?). I guess this never materialized ?

#32 ry6

ry6

• 525 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 14:31

While looking for something else (a Bristow photo) I found a story on Portago in the April 1997 MotorSport by Mr D Nye.
The full page photo is absolutely great.
Portago in cockpit of race car, smoke in mouth. Tubby mechanic apparently dipping the fuel tank of the race car. Fon looks like he has been working hard at the wheel, but really macho man. The mechanic looks like a chap who could get his hands dirty...in those days car parts were'nt so clean nor were pit facilities like hospital operating theatres. Tough guys meaning business.

#33 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 15:50

Nikyp,

There's a good biography on De Portago, written by the spaniard Jaume Olives.

The bio was published in a spanish yearbook reviewing the international motor season of 1981, directed by Javier del Arco, author of the magnificient book on Montjuïc tittled "Montjuïc - 40 Years of Motor Racing History at the Park Circuit".

So, apart from the facts and stories mentioned on both of this topics about Alfonso de Portago, I can add only the basic data of his activities on motor racing:

- Carrera Panamericana "Mexico", debut in Motor Racing, co-driver for Luigi Chinetti, Ferrari, rtd. - mechanical trouble

- GP de Metz, F, Maserati A6GCS, Sport, 1st.
- Governor's Trophy, Nassau, BAH, Ferrari, Sport, 1st.
- 1000 Kilómetros de Buenos Aires, RA, with Harry Schell, Ferrari 4.5, Sport, 2nd.
- Nassau Trophy, Nassau, BAH, Ferrari, Sport, 2nd.

- 24 Heures du Mans, F, Maserati, Sport, rtd. - mechanical trouble
- Nürburgring 500-Kilometer-Rennen, D, OSCA, Sport, rtd. - crash
- Carrera Panamericana "Mexico", Ferrari 4.5, Sport, rtd.
- 12 Heures de Reims, F, with Louis Chiron, rtd. - when 1st.

- Governor's Trophy, Nassau, BAH, Ferrari, Sport, 1st.
- Ferrari Classic Trophy, Nassau, BAH, Ferrari, Sport, 1st.
- Nassau International Trophy, Nassau, BAH, Ferrari, Sport, 2nd.
- GP de Venezuela, Caracas, Ferrari, Sport, 2nd.
- GP de Pau, F, 8th.

- GP de Torino, I, Ferrari 625A, F1, rtd. - engine
- GP de Bourdeaux, F, rtd.
- Oulton Park Gold Cup, GB, rtd.
- Daily Express Trophy, Silverstone, GB - crash in practice, 3 months out
- Goodwood 9 Hour Race, GB, with Mike Hawthorn, rtd.

- Tour de France Automobile, co-driver Eddie Nelson, Ferrari 250GT, GT, 1st. o/a - Starting from this victory, the 250GT was to be called Tour de France.
- GP do Porto, P, Ferrari, Sport, 1st.
- British GP, Silverstone, sharing drive with Peter Collins, Ferrari-Lancia V8, F1, 2nd.
- Cannon Races, Karlskoga, Sweden, Ferrari, Sport, 2nd.
- Governor's Trophy, Nassau, BAH, Ferrari, Sport, 2nd.
- Sveriges GP, with Mike Hawthorn & Duncan Hamilton, Ferrari, Sport, 3rd.
- Nassau Trophy, Nassau, BAH, Ferrari, Sport, 3rd.
- Nürburgring 1000-Kilometer-Rennen, D, with Phil Hill, Ken Wharton & Olivier Gendebien, Ferrari, Sport, 3rd.

- Sebring, USA, Ferrari, Sport, rtd.
- GP de l'ACF, Reims, Ferrari, F1, rtd. - when 4th.
- GP von Deutschland, Nürburgring, Ferrari, F1, car transfered to Peter Collins when 4th. - finally, rtd.
- GP d'Italia, Monza, Ferrari, F1 - rtd.

- 1000 Kilómetros de Buenos Aires, RA, with Wolfgang von Trips, Eugenio Castellotti & Peter Collins, Ferrari, Sport, 3rd.
- GP de Cuba, La Habana, Ferrari, Sport, 3rd.
- GP de Argentina, sharing drive with José Frolián González, Ferrari, F1, 5th.
- 12 Hours of Sebring, USA, with Luigi Musso, Ferrari, Sport, 7th.

- Mille Miglia, I, co-driver Eddie Nelson, Ferrari, Sport, rtd. - fatal crash when 3rd.

#34 Cayman

Cayman

• 18 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 16:16

I have this from a Spanish Language Motor Racing programme from 1957. There is more if it is of any use, let me know and I will retype it all out. I'm afraid my Spanish is not up to translating it and using a translating service might be incorrect. Anyway :-

"Alfonso de Portago el destacado coredor Espanol co residencia en Paris, sale a la palestra y su nombre comienza a ser conocido en el Concierto Internacional Automovilistico en el ano 1954, consiguiendo so primera victoria en el manjo de una Maserati superior a los 1600cc en el Circuito de Metz.
En 1955 participa en el Gran Premio de Venezuela, donde consigue un Segundo Lugar con Ferrari de Categoria 3000cc. Su actividad internacional es muy intensa en 1956, ano en el cuel se luce particularmenteen Portugal en el Gran Premio de Porto sobre una maquina Ferrari. Queremos desacar que el Marques de Portago integra el equipo. Oficial de la Ferrari. Siguen sus actuaciones en 1956 en el GP de Suecia,alternandose en el manejo de una Ferrari, en compania de Hawthorn y Hamilton, conquistando el Tercer Lugar en la clasificacion general. Luego obtiene un Tercer Puesto en el peligroso circuito de los 1000cc de Nurburgring, Alemania, alternandose en esta carrera en el manejo de la maquina con el frances Gendebien. Siguen sus actuaciones y nuevamente con Gendebien se clasifican cuento lugar en el GP Supercortemaggiore en el autodromo de Monza. Se consagra con elvolante Nelson adjudicandose el Primer Puesto en la Vuelta de Francia, pero su afirmacion como volante de actuacion mas brillante la consigue en el GP de Inglaterra, donde tiene como companero en su Ferrari al Campeon ingles Peter Collins."

Cayman

#35 Niky

Niky

• 113 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 15:26

Once again, thank you all!!! Unfortunately I dont have all the books and magazines, but I started my investigation ... I have some material myself, but it is not enough when you talk on Fonso de Portago. There are some many stories that you never know if the guy was for real or if was like a super hero. Any way, good to remember a real character like that. I have learnt a lot!

A todos, muchas gracias!

Saludos,

Niky

#36 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 18:17

Niky, I have a copy of the 1957 long playing record that is a 50 minute interview with 'Fon'. If you'd like a copy e-mail me!!

#37 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 20:24

Originally posted by Cayman
I have this from a Spanish Language Motor Racing programme from 1957. There is more if it is of any use, let me know and I will retype it all out. I'm afraid my Spanish is not up to translating it and using a translating service might be incorrect. Anyway :-

"Alfonso de Portago is a well-known Spanish driver that lives in Paris. He started to be known in automotive circles in 1954 after winning a race in Metz, driving a Maserati (with an engine bigger than) 1,600cc. Comes 1955 and he takes part in the Gran Premio de Venezuela where he finishes second, driving a Ferrari in the 3,000 class. His international activity becomes quite intense in 1956. One of his major milestones takes place in Portugal, where he drives a Ferrari in the Gran Premio de Porto. We want to remind you that the Marquis de Portago is part of the official Ferrari Team. His 1956 season follows by his participation in the Swedish Grand Prix, where he shares a Ferrari with Hawthorn and Hamilton to finish third. He then repeats that classification at the daunting 1,000 Kms of Nurburgring, in Germany, sharing the car with the Frenchman ( :eek: ) Gendebien.
The season still under way, he shares with Gendebien again a fourth place at the GP Supercortemaggiore at the Monza Autodromo.
He gets the "Nelson Steering Wheel" ( :confused: ) by winning the Tour de France, but really one has to agree that his most brilliant success of the year is obtained on the British Grand Prix where he shares the drive of his Ferrari with the British Champion Peter Collins"

Cayman,

Thanks for the effort typing it out. I found it strange and more propagandistic than descriptive, but I will not object to draft a translation of whatever is posted here in Spanish for the majority of us to be able to understand it.

fm

#38 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 20:51

Originally posted by Gary C
Niky, I have a copy of the 1957 long playing record that is a 50 minute interview with 'Fon'. If you'd like a copy e-mail me!!

And I'd be happy to send you a copy of the article I mentioned, either direct or via Gary, if you take him up on his offer - it's too long to scan and email I'm afraid.

#39 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 13:01

A friend of mine wrote a little portrait on de Portago for my web-site. You find it here:

http://www.motorspor...de_portage.html

You will find the English version if you go to "home" and click the Union Jack.

Advertisement

#40 Cayman

Cayman

• 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 22:26

Felix,

Will try and type it all this week and post. It was from the Cuban GP of 57 that the text was taken from, there is also a intro for Moss, Castellotti and Collins. It will take ages to type out, but hey what is time........Would you like the others as well ?

Cayman

#41 Ian McKean

Ian McKean

• 480 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 22:36

Is it true that he had a fling with Judy Garland?

#42 The Runner

The Runner

• 48 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 05:49

I see from the article on him in this months Motor Sport that he also rode in the Grand National Steeplechase at Aintree TWICE.

de Portago would make a great mini series wouldn't it, his life was very interesting.

#43 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 19:09

Originally posted by Ian McKean
Is it true that he had a fling with Judy Garland?

Well, Get Happy, the definitive biography on her didn't mention him at all & it was warts n' all, so I guess not....

#44 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 21:18

Good stuff guys.

#45 Dan Axelsson

Dan Axelsson

• 92 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 08:19

Dear members,

I have a question about Marquis Alfonso de Portago's final resting place.

In an article from an old swedish magazine I read:
-When the body was laid to rest in the family crypt in Madrid, a whole world mourned.-

Does anyone know the exact location of this family crypt in Madrid? The cemeterys name?

Many thanks!

#46 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 17:51

Doug Nye's interesting article in "Classic & Sportscar" May 1985 states:

"On May 15 Fon de Portago was buried in San Isidoro, Madrid, in the vault of the related Linares family as the vault of the adventurous de Portagos was full."

#47 Dan Axelsson

Dan Axelsson

• 92 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 18:27

Dear JB Miltonian,

Really Great information! :clap: Many many thanks!

Could it perhaps be San Isidro instead of San Isidoro?

I found a Cementerio de San Isidro, Madrid, in a map over Madrid.

regards,

#48 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 00:33

I have rechecked the article, it says "San Isidoro". Looking at various googles, I see both Isidro and Isidoro references in Madrid. I'm couldn't find any other specific information about Portago's burial site.

#49 Dan Axelsson

Dan Axelsson

• 92 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 08:43

JB Miltonian, again many thanks!

Yes, I also noticed both Isidro and Isidoro in Madrid, but since there is a Cementerio de San Isidro...?

Can any of our members from Spain maybe help here?

regards,

#50 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 08:50

Has the de Portago family died out altogether?

I know that the Marquis Alfonso de Portago was extremely rich; surely the family still exists?

PdeRL