Photo

What was the name of Brabham's fanzine?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pitflaps

pitflaps

• 145 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:57

Friend of mine used to collect them in the 1980s: favourite cover was a picture of De Cesaris picking his nose: "De Cesaris Snot Shock!" screamed the headline.

Googled Brabham and fanzine but no joy: somebody must remember? Can you still even buy issues and does anyone do proper fanzines these days? The lack of anything inspired my own current efforts (flippancy, piquancy and surrealism - what I'm attempting at any rate) but it surprises me there (still) isn't the equivalent of a When Saturday Comes for F1 - or have I been ducking under the zeitgeist radar?

ta

Advertisement

#2 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:03

Cobra? After the Hissing Sid logo

Edited by ghinzani, 30 June 2009 - 10:03.

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:11

Cobra? After the Hissing Sid logo

Correcto mundo Ghinzani. The logo of the cobra was always on the front page of the mag.

:wave:

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:12

... it surprises me there (still) isn't the equivalent of a When Saturday Comes for F1 - or have I been ducking under the zeitgeist radar?

ta

"F1 News", which ran from the mid-90s to about 2002, often had an anarchic air. Especially the "EffOne" column: was that Joe Saward?

#5 pitflaps

pitflaps

• 145 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:33

was it really called Cobra? Sorry, it will be one of those answers where I'll know it when I see it unless my brain really has deleted it to the point where even the right answer looks wrong. It wasn't very obvious though, i.e. it wasn't called "the Brabham fanzine" or "Jack's Black" or somesuch.

It didn't like Williams much or Nigel Mansell either; that much I do remember.

Edited by pitflaps, 30 June 2009 - 12:35.

#6 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:55

was it really called Cobra?

yes it was; I have several somewhere - must find them.

#7 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 17:16

yes it was; I have several somewhere - must find them.

Cobra indeed, but hardly a fanzine... A commentary on what was, or was not, going on in Formula 1. I guess Cobra would now be a rather irreverent web site. Some say produced by Brabham staff, some even say BCE had a hand in it.

Much missed, think I have a load of copies somewhere. :cool:

#8 FLB

FLB

• 29,673 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 17:33

Wasn't it Cobra that produced a FISA pass for 'rollerskating bimbos' after Jean-Marie Balestre let one of his nieces skate her way through the Magny-Cours paddock in 1991?

#9 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 17:43

Lots more (including extracts etc) in this earlier thread:

Private Ear & COBRA

#10 rateus

rateus

• 218 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 19:30

Some say produced by Brabham staff, some even say BCE had a hand in it.

Well I know I never saw any of Bernie's millions for the pieces I did for it, and knowing Martin & co I very much doubt they did either :lol:

Cobra was, like all good fanzines, produced by a revolving group of passionate fans, with occasional input from 'proper' writers like Russel Bulgin. Not sure if Joe Saward (aka Wayward) ever wrote anything, but occasional plugs in his Autospod (sorry, old habits die hard) column helped to keep the subscriptions rolling in and stave off financial implosion for another issue. The 'Roller-Skating Bimbo' press pass was a particular highlight, and still fondly remembered it would appear.

As for websites, Cobra itself is now on Facebook - search for 'Cobra F1 Magazine'.

#11 andrea

andrea

• 630 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 20:30

Friend of mine used to collect them in the 1980s: favourite cover was a picture of De Cesaris picking his nose: "De Cesaris Snot Shock!" screamed the headline.

Googled Brabham and fanzine but no joy: somebody must remember? Can you still even buy issues and does anyone do proper fanzines these days? The lack of anything inspired my own current efforts (flippancy, piquancy and surrealism - what I'm attempting at any rate) but it surprises me there (still) isn't the equivalent of a When Saturday Comes for F1 - or have I been ducking under the zeitgeist radar?

ta

Pitflaps, can you put de Cesaris' picture here?

#12 pitflaps

pitflaps

• 145 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:30

sadly not, it was my friend's copy rather than mine...must have been a 1987 issue if memory serves me.

You can always write to him though, Steven Cooper, Mclaren....etc. (bearded bloke standing behind Lewis as he explains to the media why he isn't very fast (again)).

#13 pitflaps

pitflaps

• 145 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:41

...and just as a quick addendum, Steve actually did a mock Autosport piss-take one summer holiday which he gleefully showed when he came back; it was called Autocrap (well, yes but he was about 14) and had a lovely cartoon of Mansell on the front with the headline, "Nige, Nige Nige" (he was and probably is still, a very good artist). Inside I seem to remember a story about a Hill Climb track bidding for the British GP....but not a lot else jogs the memory.

Poacher turned gamekeeper a few years after that though (journo for Autosport and F1 Racing) I'm not sure what that makes him @ Mclaren: gamekeeper turned landowner???