Photo

Health and Safety in motorsport

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 18:09

Right crew , when I was at Donington last weekend , I was surprised by the march of the H & S into our sport .That and the ' needs ' of our F1 brigade :rolleyes: .
I thought I was hearing an April fools joke when lurking in the pit lane , and the pit lane tannoy asking people to move off the pit wall for the start of the race , although after the start they could return !! WHY ?? The wall and fencing seemed to me , to be akin to a prison , I half expected a couple of guards to start patrolling the fence .
Back in the '70's/'80's I ( amongst others ) spent many happy hours sat in the unfenced dugouts --ok , one support IIRC , to crew for our riders , and have never seen a serious accident at the start of a race , especially after clutch starts .
Mr Fu :love: and I spent a while looking for places to take pics , without the dreaded ' safety fence ' spoiling the shot :mad:
Anyway , this pic just about shows the old , loved pit wall .
What do you all think of the H & S and P.C brigade ?? :rolleyes:
I await your views

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 18:20

:wave: Phil, this the influence of the four-wheeled fraternity at work where they need acres of run-off and safety fencing everywhere for when they go airborne, hence the spectators are a bus-ride away from the action. :rolleyes:

You've seen Darley Moor, a few yards of large mesh fencing along the start-finish straight to just past the first chicane and that's it. Perfectly adequate.

#3 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 19:08

hence the spectators are a bus-ride away from the action. :rolleyes:

You mean something like this at Donny last week? No wonder the stand in the background was bursting at the seams. (I thought I had better point out that blue thing in the distance is a grand stand). What the heck was that all about?
Posted Image

#4 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 20:11

:wave: Ex-Rhodie, that's exactly what I meant, don't really see the point :rolleyes:

#5 FrankB

FrankB

• 3,651 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 20:25

(I thought I had better point out that blue thing in the distance is a grand stand). What the heck was that all about?

I thought that stand had been put in for the benefit of the plane spotters.

#6 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 20:36

:wave: Phil, this the influence of the four-wheeled fraternity at work where they need acres of run-off and safety fencing everywhere for when they go airborne, hence the spectators are a bus-ride away from the action. :rolleyes:

This is why I frequent Snetterton. It's still a mostly clubby circuit so is one of the few places that hasn't gone completely mad.