Photo

'Classics on the Common' in Harpenden, Herts 29th July '09

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:52

A bit of advance warning for this event which was quite amazing in its size last year.

http://www.classicso...com:80/main.htm

It is competely free to attend takes place on a Wednesday evening July 29th on the public common at Harpenden.
I believe last year there were more than 1500 exhibits and an estimated 10,000 plus spectators.

These were some of the photos from last years event

http://forums.autosp...s on the common

Our own Gregor Marshall had a Firenza on display.

History of the event

http://www.classicso...om/history1.htm

Edited by RTH, 12 July 2009 - 06:11.

Advertisement

#2 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 21:32

I shall be there again with my new road-going Firenza with the Cosworth engine; I see Willie Green is seeling his similar Capri-engined car at the moment, shame!!
I've spoken to Trevor and Graham Scarborough and they will be there.
As for other racers - I'm sure Mr Pinkney will pose in something again, I'm sure Kevin Kivlochan will bring his Cobra (as raced by Gerry Marshall and David Sears and others) but other than that there's not a lot of racing cars there but there should be cars.
If it's half as good as last year or the Recent Classics in the Walled Garden at Luton Hoo then it'll be fantasttic!!

#3 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:08

I should be able to get along this year, hopefully - although given the usual traffic problems in Harpenden the mind boggles as to what it's like for the event.

In which case, I may consider taking the train!

Any other TNFers likely to be going along?

Edited by MCS, 14 July 2009 - 13:40.

#4 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 14:10

Mark, there is very well organised parking in several big fields on the approach and then you have to walk about half a mile to the displays. If its a warm sunny evening like last year it is an amazing scene and well worth a visit.

#5 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:54

Don't forget this event is a mid week evening. A week on Wednesday the 29th July mid afternoon 'till dark.

I shall be there and will try to recruit some of the more interesting car exhititors to bring there cars along to our next Herts Film Show in 3 weeks time on Sat August 8th.

#6 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:28

Don't forget this coming Wednesday evening 29th July

#7 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 21:06

Don't forget this coming Wednesday evening 29th July

Richard, I still hope to get along, but it won't be until early evening - I'll look out for you!

Anybody else planning to be there?

#8 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:21

I expect to get there about 5.30pm for at least a couple of hours weather forecast sounds a bit mixed so hats & coats might be wise.

Edited by RTH, 29 July 2009 - 05:22.

#9 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:26

weather forecast sounds a bit mixed

You poor bu--ers!...... :(

#10 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:30

Don't forget your camera, Rich.

#11 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 13:14

According to Michael Fish I might need a waterproof one !

#12 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 20:23

Crikey! I got within about a mile of the venue at about 6-15, only to have various "classics" heading in the opposite direction away from Harpenden Common. :eek:

On the basis that it was still raining - and given the length of the queue I had just joined - I returned to the M1 and to my onward destination.

What a great shame. :|

#13 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 20:30

You poor bu--ers!...... :(

Er, I did sort of warn you chaps.... :well:

Some things you just cannot legislate for..... :rolleyes:

They're going to try and play a Test Match tomorrow 2 miles from where I'm currently typing this; they will need Wellington boots at the very least, and possibly snorkels... :eek:

#14 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 21:57

I left just before 10pm to get home so RTH must have been bored by the rain - and it was p'ing down but getting there was easy - for once!!
Luckily Vauxhall have taken an interest in Dad again so I was asked to the Heritage Centre (Vauxhall's museum in Luton) for 3pm and then we left as a convoy, about 30 cars, and all parked together which is a big no no at Harpenden normally!!

It was a great night, even my Mum came along (the infamous super-charged Ford Anglia racer), my mate Simon (with his Renault GTA that he sprints), Denis Bissell (ex-BTCC Magnum racer - just his Volvo S80 - we're still working on Rivers Fletcher's Buckler!!), David Northey (WO's Grandson) in his 1923 Rolls Royce 20, Peter Deverell in his TR6 (one of the founding member of SODS), John Hazard in his recently finished Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato (probably the most beautiful car there and for sale!!), Trevor and Graham (Skid) Scarborough in a convertible MGB and an MG Midget Sprint car, my best mate Simon (PC Pratt of the Met) in his SD1 Rover and that's before I talk about the other cars!!

Last year there were 1,300 vehicles, good weather, and I reckon there was probably 1,000 this year.

#15 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 3,023 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 22:17

Wow,
I just stumbled across this thread. I am in the UK (at Wheathampstead) on vacation and went with my wife to look at the Harpenden classic. Had I known some TNF members were there I would have looked you up =(

Interersting collection, from the sublime to the ridiculous! Lord, some people have daft ideas about what makes a desireable car. The V8 engined Triumph Herald made the hair stand up on my neck. How dangerous would that be?

And what's with lowering VW Kombis till the bumper bar scrapes? Sorry, I dont get it.

Nor do I get the number of 'fakes'.

My favourite car? The 1933 Aston Martin Le Mans car followed closely by the Zagato.

It sporadically hosed down and I could only hold her ladyships interest for so long, so we left after about an hour. Interesting hour though!

Cheers

Pat

Edited by Pat Clarke, 29 July 2009 - 22:19.

#16 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 23:10

I left just before 10pm to get home so RTH must have been bored by the rain - and it was p'ing down but getting there was easy - for once!!
Luckily Vauxhall have taken an interest in Dad again so I was asked to the Heritage Centre (Vauxhall's museum in Luton) for 3pm and then we left as a convoy, about 30 cars, and all parked together which is a big no no at Harpenden normally!!

It was a great night, even my Mum came along (the infamous super-charged Ford Anglia racer), my mate Simon (with his Renault GTA that he sprints), Denis Bissell (ex-BTCC Magnum racer - just his Volvo S80 - we're still working on Rivers Fletcher's Buckler!!), David Northey (WO's Grandson) in his 1923 Rolls Royce 20, Peter Deverell in his TR6 (one of the founding member of SODS), John Hazard in his recently finished Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato (probably the most beautiful car there and for sale!!), Trevor and Graham (Skid) Scarborough in a convertible MGB and an MG Midget Sprint car, my best mate Simon (PC Pratt of the Met) in his SD1 Rover and that's before I talk about the other cars!!

Last year there were 1,300 vehicles, good weather, and I reckon there was probably 1,000 this year.

I really wish I'd made more effort now Gregor!

Delighted you had such a good time.

Just how wet was Richard?!!

#17 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:22

It was a shame it had to rain, first just showers then it got a bit more prolonged , which did take the edge off the experience a bit in contrast to last year when it was a balmy warm mid summer evening.
Anyway just as many people turned out and were walking around despite the risk averse council who deemed rain on grass too dangerous for the spectators to park their cars on despite the fact that they had mowed about 10 acres ready ! We were there from 5.00 to 8.00pm.

Good turnout of exhibits which runs the full range of both age and taste in road going motor cars, many really quite beautiful examples
Well worthwhile , seems to expand every year. Photos to follow.

I gave out 40 of the Film Show leaflets to the sort of car owners who looked as if they might be keen on motor racing archive films and our sort of gathering, so I do hope a few at least will come along a week on Saturday and bring their excellent motor cars with them for a little display in our car park.

Edited by RTH, 30 July 2009 - 06:24.

#18 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:37

Did nobody take any photos??

#19 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:07

Yes Alan, but they are not in my camera and I will not receive them until tomorrow, have to say it was a bit of a dark damp scene, I think Gregor took some as well.

Advertisement

#20 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:56

Sorry, no photos from me - I had my camera but the rain put me off and I didn't really have time to take photos, was too busy gassing!!

1,200 vehicles apparently:- http://www.stalbansr...s_to_Harpenden/

I don't know if Richard and others would agree but I think that's a bit optimistic, it was 1,300 last year and there didn't seem to be only a 100 less than last year.

A couple of photos here:- http://www.pistonhea...a...20&nmt=29th July - Classics on the Common - Harpenden&mid=46397

#21 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 13:46

Name that car

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Thanks to Christine for taking the photos

Yes there were a few less cars this year, the organisers made all exhibitors register and they actually closed entries so maybe their statistics are right. There seemed to be just as many visitors despite the weather forecast. People generally like this sort of thing and they do respond well to free entry !

Edited by RTH, 30 July 2009 - 13:49.

#22 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 14:41

Posted Image

This is John's Zagato (the guy I introduced you to Richard - he raced the Jensen and Lotus Espirit Turbo). It's based on a DBS chassis and engine with a proper all alloy body. John did all the work himself and has done a great job. The car's for sale, for the right price though!!

Posted Image

Note the fake number plate? He was at Luton Hoo the other week and waited for everyone to go and then took the number plate off - what a palava!!

Thanks to Christine for taking the photos

Phew, someone got some decent pics, thank you Christine!! Richard, would it be possible for me to borrow these for my website? Obviously I'll credit whoever you want me to.

Yes there were a few less cars this year, the organisers made all exhibitors register and they actually closed entries so maybe their statistics are right. There seemed to be just as many visitors despite the weather forecast. People generally like this sort of thing and they do respond well to free entry !

All the feedback I ever get on Classics is good (other than the idiot on the Review website story!!) - roll on next year and the sun!!

#23 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 15:47

Phew, someone got some decent pics, thank you Christine!! Richard, would it be possible for me to borrow these for my website? Obviously I'll credit whoever you want me to.

Yes by all means help yourself Gregor .................I take it you have just broken off briefly then from stripping down the Firenza , before getting the shell off to the sandblasters !! :) :)

Actually that would make a very nice 'Old Nail' recreation.

Edited by RTH, 30 July 2009 - 15:48.

#24 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:33

It is Harpenden time again

Next Wednesday evening 28th July 2010 opens at 3.00pm most arrive about 6.00pm onwards

http://www.classicso...com:80/main.htm

Edited by RTH, 25 July 2010 - 09:35.

#25 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 20:42

I'll be there Rich but spectating only - last few years taking a racer has been too stressful and after the success of the "Walled Garden" a few weeks ago Vauxhall asked me to take one of their Heritage cars but I realised I never get to see any of the other cars when I drive - much better to drink (and photograph) so to speak!!

#26 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 20:43

We will see you there.