* * * * - 7 votes

A detailed look into UK F1 television ratings

• Please log in to reply
877 replies to this topic

#651 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,271 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 18:23

If anyone thinks that Bernie is a bit of a money grabber, then Sky is up there with him. There is no way in hell that Sky are going to reduce their costs - I expect that it'll increase next year. If they don't get enough viewers to satisfy their business plan they they will simply reduce their spend on the product and then get out of it when the contract ends.

There's only one organisation that 'grabs' money and it isn't Sky or Bernie.;)

Advertisement

#652 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 19:42

Almost 1m tuned into Radio 5's coverage at the weekend. Quite respectable in comparison to Sky's viewing figures.

#653 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 20:23

I think this Sky experiment will pretty much kill F1 viewership in the UK in the same way it has with the cricket. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Sky have full exclusivity next year, and bump up the prices.

I also think the UK market is such small fry not one person involved with F1 would give a flying one if no one in the UK ever watched the sport again. The UK fans simply don't matter to the sport. Bernie's attitude and the comments by the likes of Martin Whitmarsh and Eric Boullier proved this to me when the deal was first announced.

#654 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,475 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 18:21

Almost 1m tuned into Radio 5's coverage at the weekend. Quite respectable in comparison to Sky's viewing figures.

Is that despite or because of the return of the legend :rotfl:

#655 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,668 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 18:40

I also think the UK market is such small fry not one person involved with F1 would give a flying one if no one in the UK ever watched the sport again. The UK fans simply don't matter to the sport. Bernie's attitude and the comments by the likes of Martin Whitmarsh and Eric Boullier proved this to me when the deal was first announced.

38 out of 54 WCC have been won by teams based out of the UK; I think there's a lot of people in F1 who care. Just not the people with the power!

#656 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,887 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:42

I think this Sky experiment will pretty much kill F1 viewership in the UK in the same way it has with the cricket. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Sky have full exclusivity next year, and bump up the prices.

I'm starting to go off F1 because of this deal. I'm missing Quali sessions which I never used to. I know the result before I speed through the highlights. :|

#657 Peat

Peat

• 1,211 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:52

When it was first announced i procliamed that it would be a disaster for F1. Early polls show i'm right!

I win! (in the smallest possible way......)

#658 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 746 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:18

I'm starting to go off F1 because of this deal. I'm missing Quali sessions which I never used to. I know the result before I speed through the highlights. :|

Yes, but you were always going to be the one who suffers out of the setup.

#659 Calorus

Calorus

• 3,394 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:24

Personally, I love F1, but I'm not going to spend £500 on it in a recession, it's economically irrational on a personal level, as I don't use the TV for anything else. I just read more ScarbsF1, Autosport and listen to the radio. Best of all I'm no longer being advertised at nearly so much.

Advertisement

#660 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:41

Hmmm. As with any obsession, once the source is removed you do eventually... get over it.

I didn't miss watching a full single race between 1991 and 2011 (even if I was sometimes watching the full thing on a delayed feed or recording).

Now that I can only watch the highlights it feels much less special, so I am a bit more... whatever I'll just read the result... oh Vettel/Lewis/Kobayashi won... ok whatever.

#661 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:43

When it was first announced i procliamed that it would be a disaster for F1. Early polls show i'm right!

I win! (in the smallest possible way......)

Lol, thats the thing. The UK viewership doesn't matter. If not one person in the UK watched it would not affect or damage F1 in the slightest, its a global sport. Not one person in the sport cares about the UK fans as far as I can tell.

#662 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 13:43

Lol, thats the thing. The UK viewership doesn't matter. If not one person in the UK watched it would not affect or damage F1 in the slightest, its a global sport. Not one person in the sport cares about the UK fans as far as I can tell.

Your are right in the greater scheme of things a few million in the UK not watching F1 means nothing
F1 is global and so are the sponsors

:cool:

#663 Risil

Risil

• 13,355 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 13:47

It's cool that FOM can take such a cavalier attitude to some of its most loyal and knowledgeable fans but that's rarely a sign of competent strategy. The Sky deal doesn't exactly help Formula One reach or cultivate new followers, does it? The chances of the increased TV revenue being invested in the sport's infrastructure or promotion or even used to reduce circuit ticket prices are very very low, I would guess.

Edited by Risil, 14 June 2012 - 13:49.

#664 smitten

smitten

• 1,388 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 14:04

If not one person in the UK watched it would not affect or damage F1 in the slightest

People are frequently spouting views like that, but is it true? Looking at the number of teams based in the UK, the number of UK drivers, the number of UK team personnel, the location of the owning group, the nationality of a number of the major and minor sponsors, I'd suggest that F1 would be damaged "a bit".

#665 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 709 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 14:05

You really think that or did you forget to put [/sarcasm] at the end of your post?

#666 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 14:12

It's cool that FOM can take such a cavalier attitude to some of its most loyal and knowledgeable fans but that's rarely a sign of competent strategy. The Sky deal doesn't exactly help Formula One reach or cultivate new followers, does it?

I think the strategy in the end will be everything F1 live at a cost and highlights or reruns free to air
Worked in other markets and for other sports
It's sad though that some will miss out on live F1

The chances of the increased TV revenue being invested in the sport's infrastructure or promotion or even used to reduce circuit ticket prices are very very low, I would guess.

Infrastructure is a matter for the track and local promotion is a thing of the local promoter or national TV rights holder
Can't see why ticket prices for Silverstone should be reduced?
It's sold out every year

:cool:

#667 Risil

Risil

• 13,355 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 14:29

I think the strategy in the end will be everything F1 live at a cost and highlights or reruns free to air
It's sad though that some will miss out on live F1

More detail please? I can understand how tape delayed broadcasts worked before the internet, for sports small enough that your only chance to read the results would be in the press or (possibly) radio bulletins. Good luck getting large numbers of people to watch any sporting event where they know the result in advance.

As for the rest of your post, the track can only spend money on infrastructure if after paying the hosting fees it has any left over. This frequently doesn't happen right now, and reducing them is something within FOM's power. Ideally the circuit promoters and TV companies would take care of much of the marketing of the event, but in reality they fall short quite often. In any case, there are lots of things that F1 could do centrally, which would certainly do more for the sport than handing over big bags of money to Bernie Ecclestone and the vulture funds does.

#668 Peat

Peat

• 1,211 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 14:42

People are frequently spouting views like that, but is it true? Looking at the number of teams based in the UK, the number of UK drivers, the number of UK team personnel, the location of the owning group, the nationality of a number of the major and minor sponsors, I'd suggest that F1 would be damaged "a bit".

Precisely what i was going to put.

#669 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,475 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:01

You mean like boxing in the UK - now its behind the Skywall you only hear a mention of it elsewhere if a contestant gets involved in a scap outside the ring.

#670 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,810 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:06

But those people aren't getting involved because it's a 'British' sport. The monopoly of Britain on F1 is a little overstated. In most categories Germany is a more important market.

#671 smitten

smitten

• 1,388 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:16

But those people aren't getting involved because it's a 'British' sport. The monopoly of Britain on F1 is a little overstated. In most categories Germany is a more important market.

That wasn't the argument.

#672 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:23

3.13m and 565k.

An online games tournament had almost as many peak viewers as Sky and ran for 10 hours a day for 3 days with 5m unique viewers
http://wordpress.too...infographic.jpg

#673 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:26

.........and as predicted around all the Sky apologists wading in a few months ago Sky are simply not getting the viewers. In fact, they're not even making up the viewers that the BBC have lost so everyone is a loser out of this.

#674 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,810 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:26

That wasn't the argument.

Then what is? Britain doesn't get special status because of it's F1 history. Especially with its current economy and the woes in the rest of the Eurozone.

#675 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:30

Alas, it doesn't work. The dirt secret is that football subsides other sports on Sky that have now become a minority. That can't happen with Formula 1. Either you get the viewers and the coverage for the sponsors or you find a way to make the smaller audience pay for Formula 1 otherwise the sport dies.

#676 smitten

smitten

• 1,388 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:34

Then what is?.

The UK viewership doesn't matter. If not one person in the UK watched it would not affect or damage F1 in the slightest

My contention was that if the UK suddenly stopped watching F1 the effect would be greater than zero.

#677 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:35

Thanks. Looks like Bernie's '10m potential Sky viewers' voted with their feet then.

That's the maximum viewer pool you can get. You will obviously get a much smaller proportion of that whole. Bernie is taking a lot of bollocks on this and he's going to get burned.

#678 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:39

My contention was that if the UK suddenly stopped watching F1 the effect would be greater than zero.

Well.........yer. Take a look at the UK based companies involved in Formula 1, both as suppliers and major sponsors, and the sponsors who depend heavily on UK markets. It would kill the sport off stone dead.

#679 Ensign

Ensign

• 164 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:48

According to reputable (ie non-F1 shills) companies like Initiative Sports Futures the typical F1 race gets between 60-75 million viewers worldwide. So that means the British audience is a little less than 10%. That's a fairly substantial amount and it would impact the value of sponsorship if no one at all in Britain were watching. That said it would still be one of the world's most popular sports without the UK so I don't think it would be that difficult for F1 to adjust to life without the UK audience.

Advertisement

#680 Ensign

Ensign

• 164 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:57

Well.........yer. Take a look at the UK based companies involved in Formula 1, both as suppliers and major sponsors, and the sponsors who depend heavily on UK markets. It would kill the sport off stone dead.

Sponsorship would be reduced but wouldn't some of those British companies still want the international exposure? As for the suppliers F1 would presumably still need them. As long as they get paid does it matter to them if few in the UK watch? It used to be that most (all?) the Champ Cars came from England despite having no viewers there.

Edited by Ensign, 14 June 2012 - 15:58.

#681 slideways

slideways

• 3,194 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:58

Hmmm. As with any obsession, once the source is removed you do eventually... get over it.

I didn't miss watching a full single race between 1991 and 2011 (even if I was sometimes watching the full thing on a delayed feed or recording).

Now that I [can] only watch the highlights it feels much less special, so I am a bit more... whatever I'll just read the result... oh Vettel/Lewis/Kobayashi won... ok whatever.

Someone who's watched F1 since '91 is probably old enough to be able to work the Sky cost into their yearly budget.

What made you decide against paying for F1. Was it the principal of it being free in the past?

#682 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 15:59

I was being slightly hyperbolic and, frankly, I'm rather bitter that I can no longer watch 'full' F1 races (I could cope with delayed races I guess, but I just can't handle a hacked apart highlights package).

I was surprised to be taken quite so literally, but my basic point is that losing 3-4 million viewers in the UK means next to nothing in the context of the global viewership. Enough people can afford Sky that F1 will still have 0.5million or so fans in the UK. Losing the other few million fans may impact on the sport a tiny, tiny little bit, maybe a few less caps and t-shirts will get sold, maybe interest in Silverstone will wane, but if Bernie can get China and India watching I think that will more than make up for it. Teams can move on elsewhere. Other countries can provide the staff.

My basic point is that - fellow British F1 fans, the sport does not revolve around us. We are very unimportant in the global scheme of things.

However, I still believe that no one in the sport cares if we are watching or not. Do Mercedes or Renault need more market share in the UK? No. Are they more interested in China and India? Of course they are. I suspect Bernie's coffers are being filled by Sky to his satisfaction, and frankly he needs to concentrate on much more lucrative markets.

If the sport having zero British input, teams, drivers or presence in 10-20 years time (I don't think this will be the case but just supposing) it wouldn't matter because the sport is way, way bigger than this small single nation.

#683 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,668 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 16:01

Then what is? Britain doesn't get special status because of it's F1 history. Especially with its current economy and the woes in the rest of the Eurozone.

The rest of the world might not have reason to care but us Brits should. The British Motorsport industry is a net-exporter for the country, and loss of decent free coverage of F1 could have a long-term knockon effect for the worse. There's a lot of justification for putting (at least highlights) F1 on the protected coverage list.

#684 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 16:03

Someone who's watched F1 since '91 is probably old enough to be able to work the Sky cost into their yearly budget.

What made you decide against paying for F1. Was it the principal of it being free in the past?

No, its mostly the recession. I am 33 years old, live in London, have a fairly brutal mortgage and... well... lets just say my pay was severley dented by the recession. I have other priorities and other responsbilities. At the end of each month I am just about getting by. I simply cannot justify £500 a year just to watch 10 races a year. The rest of the Sky package has no interest to me. Anything else you'd like to know?

Posts like yours are presumptious and really piss me off. Please don't make assumptions about my life.

#685 slideways

slideways

• 3,194 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 16:06

And posts like yours that state you simply COULD NOT watch F1 do the same. You could head down the local if you were a fan, or watch it on a stream.

I've been putting up with delayed and low definition coverage for years and would leap at the chance to pay for coverage like Sky does.

I was honestly interested in your choice as you seem to be a hardcore F1 fan.

Edited by slideways, 14 June 2012 - 16:06.

#686 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 16:09

And posts like yours that state you simply COULD NOT watch F1 do the same. You could head down the local if you were a fan, or watch it on a stream.

I've been putting up with delayed and low definition coverage for years and would leap at the chance to pay for coverage like Sky does.

I was honestly interested in your choice as you seem to be a hardcore F1 fan.

There is no 'local' that shows the races (especially not the early fly away ones). I have tried the streaming option, but cannot find a reliable stream and my broadband can't handle it. I've tried streaming each race only for it to fail mid stream. I end up not bothering. Some races I've ended up listening to on the radio.

You are seriously close to trolling in my opinion. Sorry my personal circumstances make you think I am not an F1 fan. You are wrong, and nastily presumptious.

Why not try thinking that there is an actual human being with a life on the end of these messages? You know nothing of my circumstances.

#687 slideways

slideways

• 3,194 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 16:14

You're overreacting mate I'm not judging you. I'm a similar age, been watching F1 a similar time and would prioritise F1 in my budget to be able to watch it live in HD if I was able to get it (especially if every session was available).

If you ever need a stream, send me a PM before the start of the races.

#688 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,579 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 16:18

You're overreacting mate I'm not judging you. I'm a similar age, been watching F1 a similar time and would prioritise F1 in my budget to be able to watch it live in HD if I was able to get it (especially if every session was available).

Which part of 'I am struggling at the end of the month just with general daily living costs' don't you get?

What do I prioritise F1 over? Paying my mortgage one month of the year? Food?

Your implication that I am simply being awkard because I now have to pay for what was free and I'm not a fan of the sport really winds me up.

I'm sorry, I appreciate your offer of a link, but I don't come here for this.

#689 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,142 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 16:29

Let's keep this about the ratings please and not about each person's individual circumstances.

Thank you.

#690 slideways

slideways

• 3,194 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 16:33

Lighten up pal. Next time I'll do you a favour and not take an interest in your life or issues.

If you read between the lines you'd see I was talking about my own situation and motivations to prioritise costs. Not yours.

#691 Calorus

Calorus

• 3,394 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 16:50

Lighten up pal. Next time I'll do you a favour and not take an interest in your life or issues.

If you read between the lines you'd see I was talking about my own situation and motivations to prioritise costs. Not yours.

To agree with him, his point is simple, much of the British public can't justify spending what amounts to £50 a race if they don't want to watch any of the crap Sky are pumping out.

#692 slideways

slideways

• 3,194 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 16:59

I wouldn't pay 50 bob a race that's for sure. That's PPV territory.

#693 smitten

smitten

• 1,388 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 16:59

To agree with him, his point is simple, much of the British public can't justify spending what amounts to £50 a race if they don't want to watch any of the crap Sky are pumping out.

Especially considering the part that most people are interested in is produced by neither the BBC nor Sky but by FOM.

#694 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 21:22

I was surprised to be taken quite so literally, but my basic point is that losing 3-4 million viewers in the UK means next to nothing in the context of the global viewership.

The viewers in the UK are worth several times more than any in the rest of the world. It's the size of the UK market and the sponsorship of the team reflects it. Vodafone, Glaxo Smithkline...... Even for foreign car companies the UK market is always the primary one for a sponsor.

On top of that what happens to UK TV coverage is important for everyone else because that coverage gets resold. The BBC coverage is watched all over the world, not just in the UK. Restricting coverage is not good for Formula 1. Sponsors need exposure.

You're being pretty simplistic and not looking at the wider implications.

if Bernie can get China and India watching

They're not though. Everyone seems to look at India and China as huge promised lands but they are not. The vast majority of their populations live in poverty, don't care about Formula 1 and that is reflected in the declining crowds we see turning up to these new world races. Most are getting into financial trouble now the government cash has gone. The heartland of Formula 1 is Europe and the UK in particular. If you lose that then interest evaporates.

In addition, anyone who thinks China is just going to let Western companies in is gravely mistaken. They want things for themselves.

Do Mercedes or Renault need more market share in the UK?

They need to keep it. There is a reason why the UK is called treasure island and why most sponsors in Formula 1 have their main market in the UK. Until that changes it's all just speculation with no foundation.

#695 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,810 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 21:35

Even for foreign car companies the UK market is always the primary one for a sponsor.

Really? What would you say are the two most important markets to Mercedes? How about Honda, just as a general racing company?

There is a reason why the UK is called treasure island...

Before you started?

...and why most sponsors in Formula 1 have their main market in the UK.

Like...who? The UK market is so important to Vodafone they don't even pay tax in it :p

#696 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 281 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:03

If market penetration in rich markets is the issue, then why is F1 not concentrating a lotmore effort on the American market...?

Plus, when it comes to the T.V deals there are two very different pulls: the teams (i.e sponsors) want maximum exposure to the largest number of people possible; whereas Bernie simply wants upfront money from whichever broadcaster will pay him the most.
Whilst I won't say that Bernie has no interest in the T.V figures, it's certainly not at the top of his priorities. Plus, the additional revenue from effective PPV or satelite pays for any drop off in sponsor revenue. And that then gives Bernie more financial leverage over the teams.

I think we Brits have to understand that being a pretty much bankrupt rock in the middle of the North Atlantic, with no major manufacturer being British, and with us being a fairly minor concern when it comes to sponsors, that we'll have to put up with any T.V deal that Bernie chooses to put together.

#697 Calorus

Calorus

• 3,394 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:10

If market penetration in rich markets is the issue, then why is F1 not concentrating a lotmore effort on the American market...?

Plus, when it comes to the T.V deals there are two very different pulls: the teams (i.e sponsors) want maximum exposure to the largest number of people possible; whereas Bernie simply wants upfront money from whichever broadcaster will pay him the most.
Whilst I won't say that Bernie has no interest in the T.V figures, it's certainly not at the top of his priorities. Plus, the additional revenue from effective PPV or satelite pays for any drop off in sponsor revenue. And that then gives Bernie more financial leverage over the teams.

I think we Brits have to understand that being a pretty much bankrupt rock in the middle of the North Atlantic, with no major manufacturer being British, and with us being a fairly minor concern when it comes to sponsors, that we'll have to put up with any T.V deal that Bernie chooses to put together.

Two Grand Prix?

They are concentrating hard, but not getting purchase. Americans like American things -- in fact, MLS probably does more for F1 than F1 has since Phoenix. America already has sport saturation, and their fans tend not to identify with foreigners, note the relative fortunes of Indycar and Nascar especially when the French & the Scotch were winning everything.

#698 smitten

smitten

• 1,388 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:29

Tried and filed, tried and failed.

I think it would not be unfair to say that F1 is not a cultural match for the majority of the US sports audience.

#699 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,810 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:33

It's really not. Wrong time zone, too many conflicting or alternative sports to watch, no local relevance(how big was F1 in Spain pre-Alonso...). The reason they're so mad for America is because they want access corporately.

Advertisement

#700 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,142 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 20:57

A load of various consolidated Sky Sports F1 viewing figures from different weekends are listed below. Some are different than what is on the BARB website due to the website taking it for the exact slot and excluding commercials.

Malaysian Grand Prix weekend - BBC not live
Friday 23rd March
02:00 to 03:50 - Practice 1: 49k (4.01%)
* peak: 68k (4.69%) at 02:30
* session average: 53k (4.17%)
03:55 to 04:35 - GP2 Practice: 5k (0.70%)
* peak: 11k (1.41%) at 03:55
* session average: 5k (0.69%)
05:45 to 07:50 - Practice 2: 110k (4.05%)
* peak: 147k (4.75%) at 06:45
* session average: 124k (4.39%)
07:55 to 08:35 - GP2 Qualifying: 9k (0.14%)
* peak: 15k (0.23%) at 08:00
* session average: 9k (0.14%)
10:00 to 11:00 - The F1 Show: 46k (0.95%)
* peak: 62k (1.19%) at 10:05

Saturday 24th March
02:55 to 04:10 - GP2 Race 1: 17k (1.59%)
* peak: 24k (2.03%) at 03:10
* session average: 18k (1.74%)
04:45 to 06:10 - Practice 3: 53k (6.02%)
* peak: 75k (7.96%) at 05:55
* session average: 57k (6.53%)
07:00 to 09:45 - Qualifying: 420k (7.14%)
* peak: 743k (10.09%) at 08:55
* session average: 586k (8.75%)
09:45 to 11:00 - GP2 Race 1 repeat: 78k (1.09%)
* peak: 116k (1.15%) at 09:45
* session average: 73k (1.02%)

Sunday 25th March
06:10 to 07:20 - GP2 Race 2: 19k (1.42%)
* peak: 36k (1.99%) at 07:15
* session average: 17k (1.40%)
07:30 to 13:00 - Race: 861k (11.88%)
* peak: 1.54m (19.10%) at 11:35
* session average: 1.27m (15.76%)
19:00 to 20:00 - Live IndyCar Series: 21k (0.09%)
* peak: 34k (0.15%) at 19:05

Race Breakdown
07:30 - 234k (9.3%)
07:45 - 219k (7.2%)
08:00 - 296k (7.4%)
08:15 - 395k (8.2%)
08:30 - 558k (10.4%)
08:45 - 740k (12.2%)
09:00 - 1.16m (17.4%)
09:15 - 1.14m (15.8%)
09:30 - 911k (12.1%)
09:45 - 894k (11.4%)
10:00 - 1.00m (12.1%)
10:15 - 1.33m (15.8%)
10:30 - 1.49m (17.3%)
10:45 - 1.48m (17.1%)
11:00 - 1.47m (17.0%)
11:15 - 1.49m (17.6%)
11:30 - 1.52m (18.0%)
11:45 - 1.26m (15.8%)
12:00 - 602k (8.2%)
12:15 - 381k (5.3%)
12:30 - 248k (3.4%)
12:45 - 124k (1.6%)

Bahrain Grand Prix weekend - BBC not live
Friday 20th April
07:45 to 09:50 - Practice 1: 93k (1.69%)
* peak: 154k (2.68%) at 08:30
* session average: 109k (1.98%)
09:55 to 10:35 - GP2 Practice: 19k (0.35%)
* peak: 26k (0.49%) at 09:55
* session average: 18k (0.33%)
11:45 to 13:50 - Practice 2: 113k (1.77%)
* peak: 157k (2.22%) at 13:00
* session average: 122k (1.89%)
13:55 to 14:35 - GP2 Qualifying: 30k (0.43%)
* peak: 39k (0.58%) at 14:25
* session average: 31k (0.45%)
16:00 to 15:00 - The F1 Show: 35k (0.35%)
* peak: 49k (0.49%) at 16:30

Saturday 21st April
08:45 to 10:10 - Practice 3: 182k (2.55%)
* peak: 252k (3.46%) at 09:50
* session average: 198k (2.77%)
11:00 to 13:40 - Qualifying: 432k (5.11%)
* peak: 802k (8.63%) at 12:55
* session average: 695k (8.13%)
13:40 to 15:05 - GP2 Race 1: 56k (0.58%)
* peak: 91k (0.98%) at 13:40
* session average: 58k (0.61%)

Sunday 22nd April
08:45 to 09:50 - GP2 Race 2: 46k (0.57%)
* peak: 68k (0.86%) at 09:05
* session average: 50k (0.63%)
11:30 to 16:30 - Race: 732k (6.05%)
* peak: 1.68m (13.53%) at 13:20
* 12:10 to 15:15: 1.09m (8.80%)
* session average: 1.49m (11.78%)

Race Breakdown
11:30 - 262k (3.3%)
11:45 - 355k (3.4%)
12:00 - 368k (3.4%)
12:15 - 433k (4.0%)
12:30 - 557k (5.0%)
12:45 - 759k (6.5%)
13:00 - 1.30m (10.6%)
13:15 - 1.58m (12.7%)
13:30 - 1.57m (12.4%)
13:45 - 1.50m (11.5%)
14:00 - 1.44m (11.5%)
14:15 - 1.32m (10.4%)
14:30 - 1.51m (12.1%)
14:45 - 883k (7.2%)
15:00 - 455k (3.8%)
15:15 - 338k (2.8%)
15:30 - 311k (2.5%)
15:45 - 163k (1.3%)
16:00 - 143k (1.1%)
16:15 - 93k (0.7%)

Spanish Grand Prix Weekend - BBC live
Friday 11th May
08:45 to 10:50 - Practice 1: 78k (1.48%)
* peak: 120k (2.16%) at 10:00
* session average: 91k (1.70%)
10:55 to 11:35 - GP2 Practice: 9k (0.19%)
* peak: 19k (0.38%) at 11:00
* session average: 9k (0.19%)
12:45 to 14:50 - Practice 2: 64k (0.92%)
* peak: 96k (1.54%) at 14:25
* session average: 73k (1.05%)
14:55 to 15:35 - GP2 Qualifying: 21k (0.31%)
* peak: 23k (0.34%) at 15:25
* session average: 21k (0.32%)
17:00 to 18:00 - The F1 Show: 38k (0.29%)
* peak: 45k (0.38%) at 17:10

Saturday 12th May
08:40 to 09:20 - GP3 Qualifying: 31k (0.49%)
* peak: 46k (0.73%) at 08:50
* session average: 32k (0.50%)
09:45 to 11:10 - Practice 3: 109k (1.58%)
* peak: 153k (2.20%) at 10:55
* session average: 119k (1.72%)
12:00 to 14:35 - Qualifying: 342k (4.02%)
* peak: 632k (6.67%) at 13:55
* session average: 525k (6.01%)
14:35 to 16:00 - GP2 Race 1: 62k (0.74%)
* peak: 106k (1.30%) at 14:35
* session average: 62k (0.75%)
16:15 to 17:10 - GP3 Race 1: 42k (0.39%)
* peak: 57k (0.57%) at 16:25
* session average: 50k (0.48%)

Sunday 13th May
08:20 to 09:15 - GP3 Race 2: 32k (0.53%)
* peak: 51k (0.84%) at 08:40
* session average: 38k (0.62%)
09:30 to 10:35 - GP2 Race 2: 35k (0.45%)
* peak: 46k (0.59%) at 09:45
* session average: 36k (0.46%)
11:30 to 16:45 - Race: 512k (4.28%)
* peak: 1.08m (8.52%) at 13:45
* 12:10 to 15:15: 744k (6.09%)
* session average: 992k (7.87%)

Race Breakdown
11:30 - 227k (2.8%)
11:45 - 305k (3.6%)
12:00 - 284k (3.1%)
12:15 - 333k (3.3%)
12:30 - 397k (3.8%)
12:45 - 542k (5.1%)
13:00 - 901k (7.6%)
13:15 - 974k (8.0%)
13:30 - 990k (8.0%)
13:45 - 1.05m (8.4%)
14:00 - 985k (7.8%)
14:15 - 1.02m (7.9%)
14:30 - 1.01m (7.6%)
14:45 - 619k (4.8%)
15:00 - 254k (2.0%)
15:15 - 154k (1.2%)
15:30 - 129k (1.0%)
15:45 - 132k (1.0%)
16:00 - 148k (1.1%)
16:15 - 197k (1.4%)
16:30 - 100k (0.7%)

- The two support races from the Sunday in Spain did badly and did not do much at all or make any sort of jump from filler programme before and after.

Also, for those wondering how much the ratings 'climbdown' between Qualifying and GP2, here's your answer, from Spain:

14:00 - 604k (6.26%)
14:05 - 344k (3.71%)
14:10 - 323k (3.57%)
14:15 - 291k (3.38%)
14:20 - 175k (2.07%)
14:25 - 150k (1.83%)
14:30 - 119k (1.46%)
14:35 - 106k (1.30%)
14:40 - 90k (1.11%)
14:45 - 77k (0.95%)
14:50 - 93k (1.14%)
14:55 - 60k (0.73%)